PDA

View Full Version : Shunmyo Masuno, Zen Priest / Garden Designer

Jundo
03-01-2021, 05:41 AM
Shunmyo Masuno, the Soto priest, garden designer and author of "Simple Living" which we read in our "no words" Book Club (and did some exercises from during Ango) ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?139-Simple-Living-Practice-Circle

... has a short talk online about life this past year:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/6033010/?cid=wohk-fb-org_vod_witc_shunmyo-202007-001&fbclid=IwAR2rB4mvLs5O-SJ6IRznaJgVS_j4djtk9-T0p3Aut7558mq7B_aB6Q9abmM

He has needed to design his gardens at a distance due to current travel restrictions, which is really hard in a field when every rock placement and shadow conveys a certain feeling of balance or imbalance. He says that all is impermanent and interconnected (really, "all things without separate self" is a better translation of the phrase), and we need to preserve the environment and spaces to breathe.

In any case, a nice take for anyone who enjoyed his book.

Gassho, J

STLah

Kotei
03-01-2021, 08:16 AM
Thank you Jundo.
I admire his garden designs from the very traditional to the very modern ones.

Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Ryumon
03-01-2021, 09:44 AM
Thank you, Roshi, that was very nice.

I am thinking of taking a corner of my garden (fairly large) and making a miniature Japanese garden section. There's a magnolia tree that would be very happy with some rocks and gravel nearby...

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat

Washin
03-01-2021, 11:41 AM
Thank you, Jundo gassho1
His artwork is amazing...

Gassho,
Washin
stlah

Margherita
03-02-2021, 03:44 PM
Beautiful!
Do you think he would design my garden as well? :p

gassho1
Mags
ST

Doshin
03-02-2021, 08:23 PM
Enjoyed his book and this talk.Thank you.

Doshin
St

Shinshi
03-02-2021, 09:03 PM
Thank you Jundo.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

Tairin
03-03-2021, 01:47 AM
Thank you Jundo. “Simple Living” was a great book that I have revisited since we read it together.

gassho2
Ta
Sat today and lah

Kiri
03-10-2021, 01:27 PM
Thank you Jundo. Personally, I find that our little garden back home is where I usually go to take a quick break from daily worries. I think we humans wouldn't find our problems to be so big if we all had the chance to sit under a tree or smell a flower.
Gassho, Nikolas
Sat/Lah

Shoki
03-10-2021, 02:25 PM
Thank you, Roshi, that was very nice.

I am thinking of taking a corner of my garden (fairly large) and making a miniature Japanese garden section. There's a magnolia tree that would be very happy with some rocks and gravel nearby...

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat

Ryumon,

I constructed a small Japanese garden in the corner of my property. I'd suggest doing some research on the types of gardens, suitable plants, rocks, design, etc. to avoid design and technical errors and add a bit of authenticity. When weather cooperates, I sit zazen in this space as long as I can avoid getting pine sap on my zafu.

Gassho
STlah
Shoki

Heiso
03-11-2021, 01:23 PM
That was a lovely little talk, thank you.

Gassho,

Heiso
StLah

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk