PDA

View Full Version : Time to scream

Ryumon
02-28-2021, 08:41 PM
"There's a Zen story about a monk who was deeply disturbed and disillusioned with Zen when he heard his master scream in pain and fear as he was being murdered by thieves. He thought that Zen was a fraud if it did not teach you to stay calm in the face of death. He expressed his concern to another teacher, later, who opened the young monk's eyes. He said, “Fool Zen is not about killing all feelings and becoming anesthetized, or numb, to pain and fear. Zen is about being free to scream loudly and fully when its time to scream." When it's time to scream, we scream; when it is time to laugh, we laugh, when it is time to cry, we cry; when it's cold, we're cold. when you're reviled, be reviled."

― Gerry Shishin Wick, The Book of Equanimity

Gassho,

Ryūmon

Sat

Risho
02-28-2021, 09:28 PM
KHAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!

gassho

risho
-stlah

ps: i promise i will not get wordy this time lol

Horin
03-01-2021, 10:48 AM
Wonderful

Gassho,
Horin

Stlah

Enviado desde mi BLA-L29 mediante Tapatalk

Heiso
03-01-2021, 11:45 AM
Probably quite an important teaching for many of us to remember during these difficult times.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah.

JimInBC
03-01-2021, 03:21 PM
I always remember at a Q&A with Zen teacher Geoffrey Shugan Arnold someone asked him if Zen Masters no longer have desires. He answered, "Of course we have desires. Otherwise" - at this point he held up his arms, frozen in a gesture of purposeful striding - "I'd be standing like a statue on 34th St. where my final desire left."

Gassho, Jim
ST/LaH

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Choboku
03-01-2021, 03:51 PM
In light of recent events, morning screaming has been extended indefinitely.

Sat today
Adam

Shinshi
03-01-2021, 06:37 PM
gassho1

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH