PDA

View Full Version : Jan 1st 2021 Our NEW YEAR 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI- COME CELEBRATE A NEW THIS MOMENT!

Jundo
01-01-2021, 02:31 AM
PLEASE JOIN US TO CELEBRATE A PEACEFUL, and HEALTHY,
'YEAR OF THE COW' (OX)!

https://mydailycow.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/meditating_cow1.jpg

Our readings this time will be some wonderful poems and teachings by a Soto Ancestor, Daichi Zenji, a new discovery for me (text below in this thread)

Please sit our Monthly 4-Hour Treeleaf Zazenkai netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 6pm to 10pm, Los Angeles 3pm to 7pm (Friday night), London 11pm to 3am and Paris midnight to 4am (early Saturday morning)), and also sitable any time thereafter:

https://youtu.be/KdkTksTaQe8

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now (https://www.treeleaf.org/now/go.php?l=ssr) OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK (https://zoom.us/j/4834831244), password (if needed): dogen

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/january-2021-zazenkai-talk-new-year-reflections-on-poems-and-teachings-by-daichi-zenji/

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY RITUAL

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

https://youtu.be/GR6POpsXh9Q

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK (https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?7032-Chant-Book-For-Weekly-and-Monthly-Zazenkai)

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?14884-Sit-a-Long-with-Jundo-Zazen-for-Beginners-%2812%29&p=189093#post189093

Jundo
01-01-2021, 02:31 AM
OUR NEW YEARS TALK will be based on the Poems and Teachings of Daichi Zenji ...

大智祖継 Daichi Sokei Zenji (1290-1366) became a monk under 寒巌義尹 Kangan Giin (1217-1300) who was a disciple of Dogen Zenji. After Kangan's death he visited various teachers. Later he practiced with Keizan Zenji for seven years. When he was twenty five years old, he went to China and stayed there for eleven years [including several months he was shipwrecked in Korea on the way home]. After returning to Japan he received transmission from 明峰素哲 Meihō Sotetsu (1277-1350) who was one of the main disciples of Keizan Zenji. Daichi is famous for his poetry.

More here: https://terebess.hu/zen/mesterek/daichi.html

One of Daichi Zenji's verses, titled Gantan (New Year's Day).

If someone asks me, "What is the Buddha Dharma of New Year?"
I would open my mouth and say, "there are no words to tell you."
When the New Year comes, the true face of spring is revealed everywhere around us.
Look at the December plum newly blooming because the spring winds have blown
(Nothing is hidden. No need to speak in words).

Some other poems by him (all translated from the French by Google AI without my changing a word! Wow! [scared])

Non-sentient beings hear it.
The wind sows disorder in the cold forest and the leaves invade the garden
Even though no one is there, the perimeter wall has ears.
Stone lanterns and columns, please don't raise your voice for a little while.

Mujō seppō no wa

Les êtres non sensibles l'entendent.
Le vent sème le désordre dans la froide forêt et les feuilles envahissent le jardin
Même s'il n'y a personne, le mur d'enceinte a des oreilles.
Lanternes de pierre et colonnes, s'il vous plaît, n'élevez pas la voix pendant un petit moment.

and

Burning incense, I sit under an old pine tree
The wind blows and the cold dew soaks my monk's robe
One day, I got up from my zafu, and I went down to the blue valley.
As I left, in the bottle, I drew the morning moon out of the current.

Brûlant de l'encens, je m'assieds sous un vieux pin
Le vent souffle et la rosée froide trempe ma robe de moine
Un jour, je me suis levé de mon zafu, et je suis descendu dans la vallée bleue.
En partant, dans la bouteille, j'ai puisé hors du courant la lune du matin.

Daichi Nyorai also left us a lovely teaching for lay folks who will come to stay with monks for retreat in a monastery. It is filled with advice on daily practice in all our lives. Here is a sample:

What the buddhas and ancestors have been properly transmitting is nothing but sitting. When you sit, hold your hands in hokkai join [the Zazen mudra], cross your legs, keep your body upright without leaning; do not think of anything, do not be concerned with anything, not even the buddha dharma. This is beyond buddha, much less the cycle of life and death. Once you have thrown yourself into the ocean of the vows of the buddhas, just conduct yourself with the demeanor of the buddhas, and forgo attachment to your own body. ...

... When doing zazen, cast off thoughts of both the buddha ancestors and of good or bad in the secular world. Being free from thought and activity is called zazen. This is also called zanmai o zanmai (the king of samadhis). Sitting zazen for even a little while is the primary practice which goes beyond the pinnacle of buddhahood. The karma of life and death is exhausted enabling entry into the rank of the buddha ancestors.

At the end of the Hour of the Rabbit (5 a.m.), have gruel for breakfast. At the point, give up the mind of zazen. Concentrate on eating gruel; reflecting on the six paramitas - tasting the six flavors (bitter, sour, sweet, hot, salty, and moderate) and chanting the ten benefits of eating gruel. Do not think of anything good, much less anything evil. When you have breakfast, just attend fully to the gruel, with both body and mind and do not be concerned with zazen or any other activities. This is called clarifying the time of gruel and realizing [satori] the mind of gruel. At this very time, you have a pure realization of the mind of the buddha ancestors

In the Hour of the Dragon (7 a.m.), if it is still dark, practice as if it were the Hour of the Rabbit. The point of sutra chanting is just to hold the sutra book with both hands and to chant wholeheartedly, forgetting both zazen and the meal. Do not pay attention to anything else. This is called realizing and clarifying the chanting of the sutras. At that very time the karma of life and death is exhausted and you will enter the rank of the buddha ancestors. After the practice of chanting, rest for a while. When you rest, be careful not to think or speak of meaningless worldly affairs.

One last poem ...

If anyone asks what real Zen is,
you don't have to open your mouth to explain it.
Expose all aspects of your posture in zazen.
Then the spring wind will blow and make the marvelous plum blossom close.

Si quelqu'un demande ce qu'est le vrai Zen,
il n'est pas nécessaire que vous ouvriez la bouche pour l'expliquer.
Exposez tous les aspects de votre posture en zazen.
Alors le vent du printemps soufflera et fera clore la merveilleuse fleur du prunier.

Nine Bows, J

STLah

https://terebess.hu/zen/mesterek/DaichiSokei.jpg

Yokai
01-01-2021, 07:30 AM
Thanks Jundo. Hope to join you all.

Gassho, Chris satlah

Onkai
01-01-2021, 03:38 PM
Thank you, Jundo. I'm looking forward to the first zazenkai of the year.

Gassho,
Onkai
sat/lah

Jundo
01-01-2021, 03:40 PM
As most of us are now officially in the cold of winter (tip of the hat to Chris, Onka and our other friends enjoying their summer), our Hokey Pokey today is a touch of winter polka ...

https://youtu.be/uBYNtMyN_6E

Gassho, J

STLah

Naiko
01-01-2021, 03:59 PM
I look forward to this teaching. I hope to join you live. Might not work out as I will need to dose my cat with two medications during that time. She is recovering from surgery, but is still 15lbs of hilariously uncooperative haus panther.
Gassho,
Krista
stlah

Kotei
01-01-2021, 05:23 PM
As most of us are now officially in the cold of winter (tip of the hat to Chris, Onka and our other friends enjoying their summer), our Hokey Pokey today is a touch of winter polka ...

I really thought, we'd dance to the new Boston Dynamics dancing robots video ;-)
As usual, I'll sit with you all the following local morning.
Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Bion
01-01-2021, 06:51 PM

https://youtu.be/uBYNtMyN_6E

Gassho, J

STLah

I shall come prepared [emoji57]

[emoji1374] SatToday lah

Sekishi
01-01-2021, 09:30 PM
See you all soon. I'll bring the ding ding ding and the knock knock knock.

Gassho,
Sekishi
#sat #lah

gaurdianaq
01-01-2021, 11:02 PM
I can't seem to find the Zoom link for some reason...

EDIT: Nvm found another way in

Apologies for leaving early, might sit the rest over the weekend.

gassho1
Evan,
Sat today, lah

Shōnin Risa Bear
01-02-2021, 03:01 AM
That hat looks pretty good. _()_

gassho
shonin sat/lah today

Sekishi
Deep bows to all.

Gassho,
Sekishi #sat #lah

Jakuden
Thank you Jundo, Sekishi and everyone. And Happy New Year!!!

Gassho and hugs
Jakuden
SatToday

Sekishi
01-02-2021, 03:02 AM
I can't seem to find the Zoom link for some reason...

Evan (and everyone really), if you ever want to join us and get turned around, just remember - treeleaf.org/now for Zoom room links, the calendar, etc.

Gassho,
Sekishi
#sat #lah

Yokai
01-02-2021, 03:04 AM
Thank you so much Jundo. Wonderful talk! Thank you my dear friends. It's such a joy to share this practice with you.

Gassho, Chris satlah

Bion
01-02-2021, 03:06 AM
Thank you all for a wonderful zazenkai. Jundo, as always, you have the most timely and well thought out things to say and I will never not be in awe with you. Everyone else, you are precious to me and I can’t express the joy you bring to me.

[emoji1374] SatToday (a lot [emoji1787])

Onkai
01-02-2021, 03:35 AM
Thank you, Jundo, and everyone. The readings and talk were wonderful, and I wonder about that hat, as nice as it is.

Gassho,
Onkai
Sat/lah

Seikan
01-02-2021, 04:10 AM
Thank you Jundo, Sekishi, and all for another wonderful Zazenkai. gassho1

I only realized earlier today that it's been two months since we last did the Hokey Pokey due to Rohatsu. Personally, I think it would be a welcome addition to the official Rohatsu retreat schedule . . . just sayin'. ;)

Gassho,
Rob

-stlah-

Naiko
01-02-2021, 04:13 AM
Thank you all for your practice, and thank you, Jundo, for a wonderful teaching.
Gassho,
Krista
stlah

Doshin
01-02-2021, 04:13 AM
gassho2

Doshin
St

Jundo
01-02-2021, 04:39 AM
Just to clarify ...

The earth is spinning about 1000 mph ...

The earth is moving through the solar system about 67,000 mph ...

And the whole solar system is moving through the milky way galaxy at about 490,000 miles per hour!

(Metric people ... I will leave you to the conversion) :p

Gassho, J

STLah

Inshin
01-02-2021, 10:11 AM
Thank you Jundo and everyone for this New Year Zazenkai.
It's astonishing how quickly AI translating tools improved!

Gassho
Sat

Bion
01-02-2021, 10:17 AM
Thank you Jundo and everyone for this New Year Zazenkai.
It's astonishing how quickly AI translating tools improved!

Gassho
Sat

It was awesome having you there live, Ania! [emoji1]

[emoji1374]SatToday

Bokugan
01-02-2021, 01:59 PM
Thank you Jundo, Sekishi and everyone (those who sat, and will sit gassho2). Getting to practice with you all has come to mean a lot to me. Happy New Year!

Gassho,

Ryan S.
Sat Today

Tairin
01-02-2021, 03:30 PM
Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Happy New Year!

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Kiri
01-04-2021, 10:46 AM
Thank you everyone! Happy 2021 !!!
Nikolas gassho1
Sat/Lah

Sekishi
01-06-2021, 01:39 AM
Just to clarify ...

The earth is spinning about 1000 mph ...

The earth is moving through the solar system about 67,000 mph ...

And the whole solar system is moving through the milky way galaxy at about 490,000 miles per hour!

A little Monty Python to help us all remember:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk

And since this could possibly be construed as NSFW due to a line-graph-style-animated-human-reproduction sequence, here are just the lyrics if you'd prefer:

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned
A sun that is the source of all our power

The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour
Of the galaxy we call the 'milky way'

Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars
It's a hundred thousand light years side to side
It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick
But out by us, it's just three thousand light years wide

We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point
We go 'round every two hundred million years
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, the speed of light, you know
Twelve million miles a minute and that's the fastest speed there is

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure
How amazingly unlikely is your birth
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Gassho,
Sekishi

Kokuu
01-08-2021, 07:58 PM
Thank you all for sitting. What a great way to start the new year!

Lovely talk, Jundo, and I especially appreciated your comments on self-power (jiriki) and other-power (tariki). I remember an article by British Pure Land Buddhist David Brazier in Tricycle in which he argued that Zen was a school based on self-power and I commented that seemed to be a fundamental misunderstanding of the practice of Shikantaza in which the universe sits the self rather than the other way around.

Gassho
Kokuu