PDA

View Full Version : Zen as Embodiment (6) - All the World's Suffering

Jundo
10-09-2020, 06:49 AM
A moment of Zazen, without our doing more, without need for a thought ...

... inhales and embodies all the suffering of the world, not merely our own, but that of all sentient beings everywhere ...

... all the ego and anger, war and violence, divided thinking, grudges, addictions, excess ambitions, rabid needs to dominate, dishonesty, manipulation, stinginess, pessimism, hostility, abuse, degradation, sexual harming, humiliation, jealousy, gluttony, cruelty, unkindness, indifference, rage, hard-heartedness, vindictiveness, prejudice, hypocrisy, mercilessness and all the rest ... the hungry children, the homeless, the oppression and injustice, the warming planet, the disease and wars ...

... and without any doing or need for thought ... from the still still point at the center ...

... embodies and exhales the medicine for all the suffering of the world ...

... exhaling selflessness and calm, peace and friendship, union, agreement, equanimity, satisfaction, cooperation, honesty, harmony, generosity, optimism, fraternity, helpfulness, appreciation, love, respect, honor, healthful consumption, sympathy, kindness, caring, ease, soft-heartedness, forgiveness, fairness, truthfulness, mercy ... feeding the children, providing safe homes, offering freedom and justice, nurturing the planet, treating the disease, ending the war.

Then, getting up from the cushion, it is time to get busy, to think and do again ...

... in every thought, word and act, bringing to life and making real all the selflessness and calm, peace and friendship ... cooperation, honesty and harmony ... healthful consumption, sympathy and kindness, and all the rest ... working hard together to feed the hungry, house the poor, reform social injustices, clean the planet, cure the disease and end all war.

This is our Zazen practice, on and off the cushion.

(An image of a Buddha Statue from a Zen temple in Hiroshima, partially melted during the atomic bombing)

https://www.bu.edu/art/files/2015/07/Melted-Statue-of-Buddha-web-image.jpg
https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/photography/2020/08/the-elusive-horror-of-hiroshima

Gassho, J
STLah

vanbui
10-09-2020, 07:52 AM
Thank you for this teaching.

Gassho
Van
Sah

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Naiko
10-09-2020, 04:29 PM
Thank you, Jundo. This series of teachings is wonderful.
I saved that Buddha image; it moved me to tears.
Gassho,
Krista
st

Mattg
10-09-2020, 05:02 PM
Thank you, words and thoughts to live by.

Gassho

Matt
st

Onka
10-09-2020, 09:18 PM
Gassho
Onka/Anna
ST

Juki
10-09-2020, 09:36 PM
Wonderful.

Gassho,
Juki

Sat today and lah

Kokuu
10-10-2020, 12:41 AM
Beautiful, Jundo, as have been all of the pieces in this series.

gassho2

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Tairin
10-10-2020, 01:38 PM
gassho2

Tairin
Sat today and lah

Shoki
10-10-2020, 02:09 PM
Thank you, Jundo. This is quite a useful reminder.

Gassho
ST/lah
Shoki

Bokucho
10-12-2020, 03:43 PM
Thank you Jundo, wise words.

Gassho,

Josh
SatToday

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Kiri
10-15-2020, 05:33 PM
Thank you sooo much about this beautiful teaching Jundo!
Nikolas [emoji120],
Sat/Lah

Στάλθηκε από το SM-T510 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Washin
10-15-2020, 05:50 PM
gassho2

Gassho,
Washin
StLah

Tai Shi
10-20-2020, 03:23 PM
Hi Jundo, equanimity is the most difficult word to discover for me, and I have to double think every time I want to think: maybe equality, person to person, actual true respect one for the other. Do I come close? This list so beautiful for much I have discovered with Zazen.
Gassho
sat/ lah
Tai Shi

Tomás ESP
10-22-2020, 12:50 PM
Beautiful description. Does it have an influence from the practice of Tonglen? It sounds exactly like it!

Gassho, Tomás

Sat&LaH

Tai Shi
10-22-2020, 12:57 PM
I have practiced Tonglen with Kokuu’s group and listened to Perma Chodrin on You Tube many times. I subscribe to her on You Tube. I’ve learned a lot, but I’m far from an authority.
Gassho
st / lah
Tai Shi no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jundo
10-23-2020, 01:35 AM
Beautiful description. Does it have an influence from the practice of Tonglen? It sounds exactly like it!

Gassho, Tomás

Sat&LaH

Influence, and just common Wisdom, really all the same. They are not two. gassho2

Gassho, J

STLah

Tai Shi
10-23-2020, 02:06 AM
Tonglen allows me to take in the suffering of a friend or relative or community and send back positive feelings. Equanimity may be a part of it and it is empathy and compassion for another from my own breath and feeling and it is giving to another with the heart of my breath.
Gassho
sat/ lah
Tai Shi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro