PDA

View Full Version : EXPRESSING CREATIVITY: clay, fiber, metal, ink, etc.

Cooperix
09-11-2020, 06:14 PM
He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.
-Saint Francis of Assisi

Greetings!

The materials we have listed are typically considered craft materials and this is a partial list, so feel free to expand.

There has been an ongoing battle of art vs. craft for eons. It is true that a product can be well constructed (crafted) but not fit the category of art as it has no depth of feeling or character other than its functionality. Conversely, I believe that for something to meet the standard of art it must be first well-made technically! When I was in graduate school one professor told his painting students that in order to be a fine abstract/non representational painter, they must first learn how to paint realistically. So, in my mind a finely made beautiful, functional object is art. And a poorly made painting is not.

Japan is the leader in the world for their respect and appreciation of their artisans. They have raised awareness of the depth of beauty and nobility of a simple tea bowl, a stroke of brush in calligraphy, lacquerware arts and on. They have elevated their finest contemporary artists to the status of National Living Treasures. This short film made by the British Museum defines this designation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPTatD_UraE

Please share with us your own work or a piece of art that you find especially beautiful. Functional, nonfunctional works made with traditional materials including ceramics, weaving, knitting, needlework, sewing, metal work, calligraphy, basketmaking etc. All are invited to share.

Here’s Meitou…

Hello everyone, during this busy Ango period we are keeping it simple and bearing in mind that many of you will be occupied with studying, there is a choice – either to post images of your own hand crafted work or an image of something you find particularly beautiful and / or moving.

We only ask that you bear in mind that we are talking about working with our hands – but this has a vast scope and so many possibilities, from yarns of all kinds, through metals, paper, board, clay, fimo and das type products, upcycled objects, household items. You could also share your calligraphy, flower arrangements etc.

If you chose to share an image of an object that you particularly like, and again this could be a sculpture, a tea bowl, an ikebana arrangement, a statue, something made of fabric or yarn, a piece of calligraphy, any kind of structure that says something to you, please say something to us about why you have chosen it.

Some of you who are taking Jukai and sewing a Rakusu may even chose to talk about creativity in relation to your Rakusu, or post images of Rakusu/Kesa or other crafted Zen related items that you find particularly interesting and inspiring.

Have fun!

Gassho

Anne and Meitou

we both sat today

Eva
09-11-2020, 06:21 PM
Thank you Anne, thank you Meitou,

looking forward this place coming alive with crafts made by hands and heart .

Gassho,
eva
sattoday and also LAH

Nanrin
09-12-2020, 03:59 AM
-Saint Francis of Assisi

I really love this quote. I have made some items recently that I will take pictures of to share. Nothing fancy - I do not have fine materials or any special skill, but they are all made with the heart and even if they don't speak to others, they bring me joy.

Gassho,

Nanrin

Sattoday

Nanrin
09-12-2020, 04:08 AM
A few days ago I found my old string of painted prayer beads that hang at the door of the bamboo hut had broken and scattered on the ground. I collected them up, separated out the beads so worn that they were splintery, and from the rest I slowly polished up a handful with candlewax and a bit of discarded cloth. From there I strung them into a wrist mala to serve as a reminder of practice.

Gassho,

Nanrin,

Sat todayhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200912/44359a2b2c4dafcae4bfef52974ea065.jpg

Meitou
09-12-2020, 06:45 AM
Nanrin, this reads like a lovely old Zen story or the opening for a Bashō poem, beautiful work which encompasses more than one of the Zen aesthetics.
Could this inspire a haiku or similar from you and/or others amongst our poets?
Deep bows
Meitou
Sattoday lah

Kotei
09-12-2020, 08:52 AM
Nanrin,
this is beautiful in more than just the visual surface.
Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Kotei
09-12-2020, 11:29 AM
Hello,

I am living close to a busy river a bit outside the large city. On the other shore, there are smaller ones and some small islands, all nature sanctuaries, but you're allowed to paddle there, provided you only land at certain allowed places.
It's time for exploring nature over there, starting next spring.

It is a work in progress, but that's what my hands are doing right now.
The color and appearance will change significantly, when transparent glass-fiber/epoxy and varnish is applied.
Also quite some elements like stern, wales, seats, carrying yoke, decks and stuff are still to be made.
It's called a Canadian over here, but I guess in Canada, you call it a Cedar Strip Canoe (made of Western Red Cedar and Ash).

6685 6686

Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Kokuu
09-12-2020, 01:14 PM
-Saint Francis of Assisi

I really love this quote too and was recently talking about the differences between art and craft on my Facebook page in relation to Sashiko sewing and more abstract textile forms in the same vein.

This is a lovely prompt. Thank you so much Anne and Meitou for your continuing work in the Art Circle.

Deep bows
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Kokuu
09-12-2020, 01:16 PM
It is a work in progress, but that's what my hands are doing right now.
The color and appearance will change significantly, when transparent glass-fiber/epoxy and varnish is applied.
Also quite some elements like stern, wales, seats, carrying yoke, decks and stuff are still to be made.
It's called a Canadian over here, but I guess in Canada, you call it a Cedar Strip Canoe (made of Western Red Cedar and Ash).

canoe1.jpg canoe2.jpg

Wow! That is beautiful, Kotei, and the thought of spring exploration is very exciting. Please do post updates to this project.

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Cooperix
09-12-2020, 02:17 PM
Nanrin, so beautiful on so many levels. Meitou is right the transformation from one sacred object to another is a lovely reminder of the impermanence of all but also the truth of regeneration! Thank you.

And Kotei that "Canadian" in progress took my breath away. Ah! the grace and rich beauty of the curved wooden siding. Just perfectly elegant! Please, as Kokuu requested do keep us updated on this amazing project.

Gassho
Anne

~lahst~

Seikan
09-12-2020, 02:23 PM
Nanrin/Kotei,

Beautiful work my friends!

I love the inspiration for this thread and will follow closely for all of the inspiration that it will provide as it grows.

And I like the idea of using some of the work/stories shared here as prompts for poetry and other forms of expression—challenge accepted! :)

Gassho,
Rob

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Cooperix
09-12-2020, 02:24 PM
I really love this quote too and was recently talking about the differences between art and craft on my Facebook page in relation to Sashiko sewing and more abstract textile forms in the same vein.

This is a lovely prompt. Thank you so much Anne and Meitou for your continuing work in the Art Circle.

Deep bows
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Please Kokuu if you would, please share some of your Sashiko sewn pieces with us. You posted one on the last EC thread. I'd like to see more. I love handstiching! The Rakusu Project taught me so much.

Bows
Anne

~lahst~

Meitou
09-12-2020, 02:58 PM
Kotei, that's stunning.
And Kokuu - what Anne said.
Gassho
Meitou
Sattoday lah

Onka
09-14-2020, 06:27 AM
Not my work but a welcome gift in the mail today. My friend is well known artist in a nearby city mainly being commissioned to create large mixed media installations. I've been lucky enough to help her create a couple and help her set up exhibition spaces.
The red one below is ink on paper inspired by my respiratory journey this year. The blue is a print on denim sending me love. A few years ago I organised a large fundraising gig for a project I started. Kate was gracious enough to donate a large number of printed patches to be sold.
I really should work out a way to paint while lying down ala Frida Kahlo.
Gassho
Onka
Sat today/received LAH

*I acknowledge going over 3 sentences. I endeavour to do and be better.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200914/f1c722ab683a07c14c3cf0217d6d5848.jpg

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

Meitou
09-14-2020, 06:48 AM
Lovely work by your friend Onka, I really like that print on fabric, I can imagine a bunch of these strung up outside like prayer flags.
Gassho
Meitou
Sattoday

Tai Shi
09-14-2020, 10:05 AM
Just great Onka, I lik it!
Gassho
Deep bows
sat/ lah
Tai Shi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tai Shi
09-14-2020, 10:05 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200914/511c46d423a6e7745aef9ddd2ef2856e.jpg
Gassho
sat / lah
Tai Shi

Cooperix
09-15-2020, 08:04 PM
I was a professional potter in my 20's and still have a love of clay. These three bowls are some of my favorites. The large platter on the left is mine. It's made of white stoneware and glazed with a Chinese chun glaze, probably from the late 70s or early 80s. The two other bowls are not signed, so no idea the name of the two potters. But both gorgeous and beautifully thrown. I have a wonderful collection of bowls and with rare exceptions I know the potter's name. The Japanese rarely signed their ceramic pieces. A bow to humility and no-ego! In The Unknown Craftsman A Japanese Insight into Beauty, Soetsu Yanagi pays homage to this tradition. https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Japanese-Insight-into-Beauty/dp/1568365209/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1THKG33SZRT45&dchild=1&keywords=the+unknown+craftsman&qid=1600200030&sprefix=the+unknown%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-1

Bowls and plates were my favorite objects to throw and now to enjoy...
I will continue to post some of the bowls from my collection.

Gassho
Anne

~lahst~

Jishin
09-16-2020, 01:30 AM
Fantastic Anne.

Gassho, Jishin, __/stlah\__

Meitou
09-16-2020, 10:12 AM
Anne, this is beautiful work. I also love bowls, plates, cups - but I find it very difficult to explain why one bowl speaks to me and another might not. It's not just tied up in shape, colour and glaze, but also in weight and feel, the experience of touching and holding, of cupping something in my hand. When I cup my hand over my cat's head I experience the same sensation as when I hold a favourite bowl, a sense of connection, pleasure, satisfaction, rightness, perhaps even suchness? Still struggling with the words, but do please post more of your collection.
Gassho
Meitou
sattoday lah

Cooperix
09-16-2020, 04:09 PM
Thank you Meitou and Jishin!
My love of bowls has followed me throughout my artist's career. Besides clay, I have made them out of bee's wax (my favorite), turned steel (the heaviest), cast iron - (of course all non functional but part of larger pieces). They represent for me the feminine, a graceful container. And all the things you mention Meitou! I'll post some of the odd material bowls I've made.

Bows
Anne

~st~

Risho
09-20-2020, 09:01 PM
very cool stuff Anne!

gassho

rish
-stlah

Cooperix
09-22-2020, 06:55 PM
Thanks Risho!

I am attaching images from a more recent clay project (2018-2019). It has been many years since I'd worked with clay and about 3 years ago I started once again, but hand building rather than throwing. Thirty plus years ago, after I had attended a Zazen Weekend Retreat at Bodhi Manda Zen Center in Jemez Springs NM ( https://www.bmzc.org/ ) I was so taken by the 3 bowls we carried with us for our meals, wrapped in a cotton cloth and holding a pair of chopsticks, that I made that aesthetic part of my art practice off and on for all these years. They were titled '3 Red Bowl Series'. These pictured are nonfunctional as they are finished with bee's wax and pigment. The red circles leaning in front of the open box fit nicely as lids on the bowls inside the box.
I know there is talent in our sangha, please share your favorite pieces by other artists or your own work. We are a gentle, appreciative audience.

Gassho
Anne

~lahst~

Tai Shi
09-22-2020, 06:58 PM
All I can say is I couldn’t do it, wouldn’t try! Yes, takes skill of a real craftsperson! Thank you for showing real skill!
Gassho
sat / lah
Tai Shi

Kotei
09-22-2020, 07:13 PM
Anne,
I am sharing the love for bowls with you.
The functional ones are beautiful. Myself, I am drawn to the small Chinese ones, not so much the slightly larger Japanese. No wonder, enjoying tea the Chinese way.
The material and texture of the '3 Red Bowl Series' makes me want to smell and examine them closer. Fascinating.
Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Tai Shi
09-22-2020, 10:24 PM
Can I share my latest photographs?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200922/8597141c6b5f0d39df6f9ac3e018713e.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200922/e0faedfb1a061b67238b5ff31798f3e6.jpg

Kokuu
09-22-2020, 11:16 PM
Lovely photographs, Tai Shi! Nice to see flowers still in bloom at this time of the year.

I have sewed a couple of cushions from Japanese fabrics and stitching techniques that fall more into the craft category than art. Art I see as a more open-ended process guided by an emotion or feeling, whereas craft tends to follow a pattern but there can still be an emotion or feeling guiding how it develops.

Cushion one (https://postimg.cc/CzDybTgj) (and the kanji for Kokuu embroidered on the reverse: https://postimg.cc/jDFdyH0n)
Cushion two (https://postimg.cc/G8MtnQ3P)

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Tai Shi
09-22-2020, 11:33 PM
Beautiful cushions. Again nothin if not beautiful. I couldn’t do it. Stitchery, bead work, embroidery all lovely.
Gassho
sat not upon... lol
Tai Shi

Seikan
09-22-2020, 11:53 PM
Some beautiful work being posted here by all! Thank you for sharing.

Kokuu, the more Rakusu sewing I do, the more intrigued I am by Sashiko. I may take a "stab" (bad pun intended) at that in the new year when we're on the other side of Ango/Jukai.

Gassho,
Rob

-stlah-

Tai Shi
09-23-2020, 10:01 AM
The flowers were a real
Find, and Marjorie purchased them to adorn the front of our house, actually 3, in planters on a cedar deck which she lovingly stained. She and I take pride, allowed by precepts? In the house we worked 26 years to own. Big chunk of our little family, our daughter is 31, left for collage when she was 18 also approves of my Zen.
Gassho
sat / lah
Tai Shi

Kokuu
09-23-2020, 11:27 AM
Beautiful cushions. Again nothin if not beautiful. I couldn’t do it. Stitchery, bead work, embroidery all lovely.

I think it is hard with your physical limitations, Tai Shi. It is good you can express yourself through words instead!

Kokuu, the more Rakusu sewing I do, the more intrigued I am by Sashiko. I may take a "stab" (bad pun intended) at that in the new year when we're on the other side of Ango/Jukai.

Ha! I find it to be incredibly similar to rakusu sewing and there are plenty of pattern resources on the internet. Sewing the rakusu is lovely but you can only wear one and sashiko is a similar practice of meditative sewing for me.

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Cooperix
09-23-2020, 04:12 PM
Firstly, Tai Shi,
Thank you for providing a bouquet of chrysanthemums for our virtual table in our virtual gallery! Lovely.

And Kokuu! Just wonderful - those pillows. I especially love the gray one with the geometric stitching. Thanks for sharing! The regularity of your stitches is astounding.

And Kotei, I enjoyed your comments on the bowls being reminiscent of enjoying a cup of tea.

Bows
Anne

~lahst~

Tai Shi
09-23-2020, 04:30 PM
For Cooperx, Kokuu, and Rob thank you . Marjorie loves to do such things. Once put in an entire kitchen floor in a week. I bought her a skill saw to do the job. As I said, I can’t sew. You all have talents. Probably we all have gifts we’ve worked for. I used to pick up my end of the cooking more. I still make a few receipts. Life is what you make it. We have doctors, lawyers, teachers, nurses, and many professionals. I was a teacher for 22 years, and I’m disabled. Then house husband.
Gassho
sat / lah
Tai Shi

Cooperix
09-23-2020, 05:28 PM
CELEBRATING CREATIVITY OF THE ANCIENT ONES

Creativity is inherent in homo sapiens.

My father's favorite hobby was hunting ancient man stone tools in the vast and open flatland of south Texas. He had an enormous collection of stone tools that we donated to the anthropology department the University of Texas, Austin after his death. He had worked with the archaeologists there over the years. I saved out these samples from his collection as he had taken the time to build frames to display them. The precision and skill required to make these tools is apparent. Not only are they beautifully constructed they are in themselves graceful and aesthetically pleasing objects. The artists made them for utilitarian purposes and obviously took pride in their craftsmanship.

The corner tang knife was my father's most prized find and he cherished it. It is somewhere between 4000 and 1700 years old. More information about it here https://hcarcheology.org/wp-content/uploads/PDFs/MemberArticles/Mystery-of-the-Corner-Tang-Biface-4.6.18.pdf

The other image is of a collection of dart and/or spear points he found in one location in one day! I love looking at these ancient beautiful objects. Somehow connects me with all artisans through time.

Bowing to all creatives past and present!
Anne

~lahst~

Meitou
09-24-2020, 08:08 AM
Tai Shi, Kokuu and Anne, such fabulous contributions, as beautiful as they are diverse. In such times as we live in, it's comforting to find ourselves united by diversity instead of witnessing polemics and polarisation.
Such gratitude
Meitou
Sattoday lah
Edit : psst Rob, your rakusu is indeed a profound creative process, feel free to post about it here.

Tai Shi
09-24-2020, 08:53 PM
Meitou, Rob thank you both for uniting us all in your creativity and cultivating belief where there is no belief.
Gassho
sat/ lah
Tai Shi

Meitou
09-27-2020, 07:05 PM
I have wanted this book for years, but couldn't quite justify to myself the price. But this week I thought 'If not now, when?!' I am happy to confirm that it was worth the wanting and every penny it cost. Expect to see some humble efforts soon!

Gassho
Meitou
sattoday lah

Tai Shi
09-27-2020, 07:09 PM
Calligraphy is a beautiful art, as part of my daughter’s Asian Translation MFA she studied Calligraphy.
Gassho
sat
Tai Shi

Meitou
09-27-2020, 07:37 PM
Calligraphy is a beautiful art, as part of my daughter’s Asian Translation MFA she studied Calligraphy.
Gassho
sat
Tai Shi

How wonderful Tai Shi, I'm looking forward to learning and practising.
Gassho
Meitou
sattoday lah

Kotei
09-28-2020, 10:09 AM
Please, as Kokuu requested do keep us updated on this amazing project.

Hello,
the outside of the hull is finally shaped. A fascinating work, triggering many different senses.
Planing and sanding produces not only dust (of corse wearing a dust-mask), but also the wonderful scent of the cedar wood.
Again and again taking a step back and eyeballing the overall shape. Planing the details, you need to run your hands some hundred times along the surface to detect fine unevennesses.
The stems (fore and aft) are already fitted and the fibreglass and resin work on the outside is just done.
It will be sanded smooth in a week, when the resin is fully cured.
After that, I'll take it from the form and work on the inside. Varnishing will happen after everything else is done.
There are still a lot elements missing, but I'll work on the seats/decks and stuff during the curing of the resin.
The carrying yoke and stabiliser are roughly formed, too (on one of the pics).

6754 6755

Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Meitou
09-28-2020, 11:17 AM
Hello,
the outside of the hull is finally shaped. A fascinating work, triggering many different senses.
Planing and sanding produces not only dust (of corse wearing a dust-mask), but also the wonderful scent of the cedar wood.
Again and again taking a step back and eyeballing the overall shape. Planing the details, you need to run your hands some hundred times along the surface to detect fine unevennesses.
The stems (fore and aft) are already fitted and the fibreglass and resin work on the outside is just done.
After that, I'll take it from the form and work on the inside. Varnishing will happen after everything else is done.
There are still a lot elements missing, but I'll work on the seats/decks and stuff during the curing of the resin.

6754 6755

Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

It's such a thing of beauty Kotei, everything you turn your hand to is endowed with a wonderful sense of the aesthetic.
Gassho
Meitou
sat lah

Bion
09-28-2020, 03:45 PM
Hello,

6754 6755

Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

That is GORGEOUS... I promise I can smell the wood from here! [emoji1]

[emoji1374] SatToday lah

Cooperix
09-28-2020, 04:02 PM
Kotei,
Really, words are inadequate! That boat has such a presence of grace and beauty - it is just spectacular. I can sense the patience required, the slow meditative work, the complete sensory experience involved. Cedar! Such a beautiful fragrant and visually warm and soft feeling wood. Thank you and do let us enjoy the boat as it evolves. Amazing.

And Meitou, I look forward to seeing the results of your study of calligraphy. You already have a beautiful hand with ink. Cannot wait to see!

Bows
Anne

~lahst~

Kokuu
09-28-2020, 08:03 PM
That is absolutely amazing, Kotei! What a fantastic piece of work.

It really is a thing of beauty.

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Kotei
09-29-2020, 04:58 AM
gassho2

Kokuu
10-04-2020, 11:54 PM
A just finished boro style cushion...

https://postimg.cc/Z9vnJqPQ

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Kotei
10-05-2020, 07:53 AM
A just finished boro style cushion...

And it is very beautiful.

Thought about this thread, while brewing tea.
Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Tai Shi
10-05-2020, 09:18 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201005/2776fba6e72f93d7aac6aec927739d07.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201005/aada4f81945aed8903970b6cf154efde.jpg

Tai Shi
10-05-2020, 09:20 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201005/858284b46107c5d1c00a398587161352.jpg

Tai Shi
10-05-2020, 09:20 AM
Gassho
sat/ lah
Tai Shi

Tai Shi
10-05-2020, 09:33 AM
Kokuu, beadwork and fabric simply exquisite and glorious fine detail! Such stitches must consume hours of artisans work. Your hands and eyes capture ornate beauty!
Gassho
sat/ lah
Tai Shi

Jinyo
10-06-2020, 10:00 AM
What a wonderfully diverse and inspiring thread.
Thank you for sharing,
Nanin's wrist Mala, Kotei's boat project, Koku's Sashiko and Boro style sewing, Onka's friend's printed patches, Anne's collection of bowls and father's wonderful collection of ancient tools,
Meitou's sharing of Shodo book (looking forward to seeing your calligraphy work) and Tai Shi's photography.
I hope I have mentioned everybody.

I'm lagging behind because I still haven't mastered the sending of images - any help with this would be much appreciated. Ideally I'd like to be able to download straight from my Samsung mobile.

Gassho

Jinyo

Kotei
10-20-2020, 02:41 PM
Autumn is keeping me busy in the garden,
but the canoe is getting some attention again, too.

The outside is sanded and ready for varnishing.
I took it from it's form and turned it around for the first time.
Working on the inside now. Still no small decks and gunwales (the inner and outer rim).
The carrying yoke and seats (frames done) will later hang some cm from the gunwales.

6829 6830 6831

Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Seikan
10-20-2020, 04:23 PM
Kotei,

That is truly a work of art. I'm so impressed.

Just curious, how thick are the sides? The photos make them appear thin and light (in a good way). Again, very impressive!

Gassho,
Rob

-stlah-

Kotei
10-20-2020, 04:57 PM
Thank you gassho2,

the sides should be around 1cm thick, maybe some mm more. When finished, it'll be a laminate of the cedar wood in the center and glass-fiber/resin on the in- and outside.
The planned weight (depends on resin and varnish amount) is around 23 kg (50 lbs.).
With the yoke in its center of gravity, it should be an acceptable weight on the shoulders.

Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Kotei,

That is truly a work of art. I'm so impressed.

Just curious, how thick are the sides? The photos make them appear thin and light (in a good way). Again, very impressive!

Gassho,
Rob

-stlah-

Seikan
10-20-2020, 05:23 PM
Wow. That's amazing. I hope the laminate doesn't completely hide the lovely aromatics of the cedar. That is by far my favorite kind of tree/wood.

Gassho,
Rob

-stlah-

Kotei
10-20-2020, 05:59 PM
Wow. That's amazing. I hope the laminate doesn't completely hide the lovely aromatics of the cedar. That is by far my favorite kind of tree/wood.

Sadly, the Western red cedar will be completely sealed. The softwood just can't take the water and mechanical stress.
I think I'll even completely seal the Ash (the white-ish wood), I am using for gunwales/seats/yoke etc. and also the few, small pieces of pre-used Mahogany for the decks, although oiling would be acceptable there.
The paddles of local Cherry or/and Ash will just be oiled with Linseed oil, because I expect a better haptic experience with holding it in the hands the whole time. The wood for them is already sawn, but still has to dry for some months before crafting.
The wonderful scent of the cedar seems to be just for the builder ;)

Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Meitou
10-20-2020, 06:28 PM
Sadly, the Western red cedar will be completely sealed. The softwood just can't take the water and mechanical stress.
I think I'll even completely seal the Ash (the white-ish wood), I am using for gunwales/seats/yoke etc. and also the few, small pieces of pre-used Mahogany for the decks, although oiling would be acceptable there.
The paddles of local Cherry or/and Ash will just be oiled with Linseed oil, because I expect a better haptic experience with holding it in the hands the whole time. The wood for them is already sawn, but still has to dry for some months before crafting.
The wonderful scent of the cedar seems to be just for the builder ;)

Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

'Haptic' was a new word to me Kotei, I love the connection that you've made here regarding the paddles and your hands. Another day of learning!
Deep Bows
Meitou
sattoday lah

Inshin
10-21-2020, 01:54 PM
Is cooking considered hand craft? :confused: [morehappy]
Gassho
Sat

Meitou
10-21-2020, 04:31 PM
Is cooking considered hand craft? :confused: [morehappy]
Gassho
Sat

Why not? It's creative, and many people, my chef husband included, find their way to express love for others through cooking. Bring it on!
Gassho
Meitou
Sattoday lah

Cooperix
10-21-2020, 04:37 PM
Kotei,
No words! just gorgeous. Thanks for bringing us along on the journey. I can't wait to go for a ride with you when it's launched.
and Ania, I consider cooking a fine art. So as Meitou says: Bring it on~

bows
Anne

~lahst~

Inshin
10-21-2020, 09:29 PM

Vegan version of Bengali thali, that includes around 11 types of different vegetables : dhal soup, fried bitter gourd, raw banana and potato cutlets, lal sag (red spinach), okra in white poppy seed and mustard paste, curry of cauliflower, potatoes and peas, dry curry of aubergine, pui sak (type of spinach) and potatoes, loochi (flaky, puffed roti) and basmati rice :)

I could imagine myself in tenzo role [morehappy]

Gassho
Sat

Seikan
10-21-2020, 09:34 PM

Vegan version of Bengali thali, that includes around 11 types of different vegetables : dhal soup, fried bitter gourd, raw banana and potato cutlets, lal sag (red spinach), okra in white poppy seed and mustard paste, curry of cauliflower, potatoes and peas, dry curry of aubergine, pui sak (type of spinach) and potatoes, loochi (flaky, puffed roti) and basmati rice :)

Gassho
SatAnia,

That looks amazing! What time is dinner? ;)

Gassho,
Rob

-stlah-

Inshin
10-21-2020, 09:52 PM
Ania,

That looks amazing! What time is dinner? ;)

Gassho,
Rob

-stlah-

Imagine if someone comes up with a technology or something where we can taste an image without actually eating it, something similar to Virtual Reality.
:)

Bion
10-22-2020, 09:32 AM
Imagine if someone comes up with a technology or something where we can taste an image without actually eating it, something similar to Virtual Reality.
:)

Huawei are actually preparing some devices that allow smells to be transmitted between users online. That is INSANE

[emoji1374] SatToday

Jinyo
10-22-2020, 05:44 PM

Gassho
Sat

Wow - the presentation is beautiful - the taste must be lovely too !

Gassho

Jinyo

Sat Today

Meitou
10-22-2020, 07:48 PM

Gassho
Sat

Oh that's just lovely Ania! I love the pop of the chilli pepper on the side of the plate. Of course you do realise that you may now have to open a recipe thread!
Gassho
Meitou
sattoday lah

Kokuu
10-29-2020, 07:50 PM
Vegan version of Bengali thali, that includes around 11 types of different vegetables : dhal soup, fried bitter gourd, raw banana and potato cutlets, lal sag (red spinach), okra in white poppy seed and mustard paste, curry of cauliflower, potatoes and peas, dry curry of aubergine, pui sak (type of spinach) and potatoes, loochi (flaky, puffed roti) and basmati rice

Wow, Ania! Please can you be tenzo if we have a European retreat?

A recipe thread would be a great idea. If anyone doesn't know these two books from Tassajara, they are a great Zen resource for cooking:
The Tassajara Bread Book (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/396759.The_Tassajara_Bread_Book) (maybe the best £10 I ever spent!)
The Complete Tassajara Cookbook (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6376953-the-complete-tassajara-cookbook)

Also, Gesshin Greenwood has her own guide to Japanese monastery food:
Just Enough: Vegan Recipes and Stories from Japan's Buddhist Temples (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42659886-just-enough)

Apologies for running long in enthusiasm!

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Kokuu
10-29-2020, 07:56 PM
I also just wanted to share a finished facing of sashiko work for a cushion in a traditional 'hemp leaf' pattern on indigo fabric: https://postimg.cc/yJF6g7qZ

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Meitou
10-29-2020, 08:41 PM
I also just wanted to share a finished facing of sashiko work for a cushion in a traditional 'hemp leaf' pattern on indigo fabric: https://postimg.cc/yJF6g7qZ

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Oh my word! Amazing work Kokuu, you're an expert already, that's so beautiful.
Gassho
Meitou
sattoday lah

Cooperix
10-30-2020, 04:32 PM
Yes, Kokuu wonderful work. Stunning really. Thanks for sharing.
And Ania that does make me long for an artfully arranged, prepared and served meal. Beautiful.

Kokuu when my father died (1984) I inherited his two Tassajara cookbooks. I am sure it made his head hurt to think they came from a Buddhist (!!!) community but he loved baking bread. The books are so worn and covered with flour and who knows what else, not from his use, but from mine. There must be more recent versions but I love these tattered books.

Gassho
Anne

~lahst~

Eikyo
10-31-2020, 08:31 PM

Wow!! So many beautiful crafts on here gassho2

Here is my contribution- my first ever piece of cross stitch.
Very soothing and I can imagine doing lots more of this over the next few weeks as England goes into lockdown round 2.

Gassho,
Dee
Sat Today / Lahgassho2gassho2

Cooperix
11-01-2020, 11:57 AM
Dee, I love that bee! But also, such a happy image, the colors, composition, your tattooed fingers and blue finger nails and thumb ring! The whole thing! Thank you.

Bows
Anne

~st~

Eikyo
11-02-2020, 07:47 PM
Thank you so much Anne!
The design of the cross-stitch itself was from a pattern - John Lewis is doing adorable little cross stitch kits for £8. Great for learning.
One day soon I will design my own patterns, my sister says it is easily done in excel - I have been wondering what I could stitch next that would be Treeleaf or zen related! Ideas welcome [happy]

Gassho,
Dee
Sat Today

Kokuu
11-03-2020, 11:29 AM
Dee, if you look on Etsy, there are some Buddhist and Zen-related patterns such as this lotus flower which is available as a downloadable PDF file: https://www.etsy.com/hk-en/listing/726648153/pink-lotus-zen-cross-stitch-pattern
Or this Buddha: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/755776139/buddha-cross-stitch-buddha-stitch-zen

One craft company I buy materials from has said that their order numbers have gone up massively this year because of people crafting through lockdown so you are not alone in finding solace in that!

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Tai Shi
11-03-2020, 11:34 AM
Thank you for respected charities. Jundo and others are placing charities in an appropriate thread which I believe any member is welcomed to place their chosen charity. This is an appropriate place for charities!
Gassho
sat/ lah
Tai Shi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tai Shi
11-03-2020, 11:41 AM
I realize much is purely informational and places to secure materials and designs! I hope such are affordable to our members. I myself had to think twice before buying Jundo’s book because of funds! Too many advertised “things!”
Gassho
sat / lah
Tai Shi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Inshin
11-03-2020, 02:32 PM
Thank you for book recommendations! Kokuu and Sweetde hats off! What a dedication and beautiful work. I admire anyone who excels at stiching or any craft. I'm crying and inventing new poetic swear words over my rakusu attempt :D

Gassho
Sat

Eikyo
11-03-2020, 02:56 PM
Those patterns are beautiful- thank you Kokuu!! Plenty more lockdown crafting to come :)

Ania - sending you lots of good vibes for the Rakusu sewing!! I am there with you and have also had the joys of starting and then having to unpick my stitches and start over again - I think mistakes mean we are doing it right ;)

Gassho,
Dee
ST/LAH

Kokuu
11-03-2020, 03:59 PM
I'm crying and inventing new poetic swear words over my rakusu attempt

Ania, I think you join a long line of rakusu sewers throughout history, myself included!

I am there with you and have also had the joys of starting and then having to unpick my stitches and start over again - I think mistakes mean we are doing it right

Yes, all part of the joy of sewing! I think the experience is diminished if you don't have to basically pull the whole thing apart at one point or other! [morehappy]

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Heiso
11-05-2020, 12:04 PM
Thank you for book recommendations! Kokuu and Sweetde hats off! What a dedication and beautiful work. I admire anyone who excels at stiching or any craft. I'm crying and inventing new poetic swear words over my rakusu attempt :D

Gassho
Sat

Ania, I surprised myself with the creativity of my swearing at times while sewing my rakusu.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah