PDA

View Full Version : Gathas for the dead.

Meitou
08-31-2020, 10:51 AM
This last week has been very difficult, the death of a beloved pet, a dear friend of my husband's, and today a Facebook friend of long standing.
I would like to observe some traditional rituals and recite some verses to both mark these deaths and honour the lives of those who have left us.
All ideas, suggestions and offerings welcome and appreciated.

Gassho
Meitou
sattoday lah

Jundo
08-31-2020, 11:56 AM
Hello Meitou,

We will sit for your friends and their loved ones, and you too.

The Heart Sutra is always recited at such time. The Metta Verses for the survivors would be appropriate.

I might also suggest that you write your own poem or brief prose encompassing how your feel in your heart, and recite that as a Chant too, for it is most powerful to recite your own words and feelings.

Peace to all.

Gassho, J

STLah

Meitou
08-31-2020, 12:57 PM
Hello Meitou,

We will sit for your friends and their loved ones, and you too.

The Heart Sutra is always recited at such time. The Metta Verses for the survivors would be appropriate.

I might also suggest that you write your own poem or brief prose encompassing how your feel in your heart, and recite that as a Chant too, for it is most powerful to recite your own words and feelings.

Peace to all.

Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you Jundo, this is helpful and comforting.
Gassho
Meitou
Sattoday lah

Cooperix
08-31-2020, 03:22 PM
Meitou,

Heartbreaking, even one sad loss, but so many at once. There are no words.

Bows to you and all who are suffering from deep grief

Anne

~lahst~

Kokuu
08-31-2020, 03:34 PM
So sorry for your losses, Meitou.

gassho2
Kokuu
-sattoday/lah-

Nengei
08-31-2020, 03:51 PM
Metta to you, Meitou, and to all who are experiencing loss.

Gassho,
Nengei
Sat today. LAH.

Tomás ESP
08-31-2020, 04:07 PM
Much metta to you Meitou. I haven't had a loss for a while, but I do know how it feels like. Best wishes to yougassho2.

Gassho, Tomás
Sat&LaH

Risho
08-31-2020, 04:58 PM
Metta to you Meitou - I will sit for you; not to be corny - but I really believe our loved ones are always with us even if we can't see them; the true gathas they leave are in and on our hearts. They are here with you always.

Gassho

Risho
-stlah

Shinshi
08-31-2020, 05:17 PM
Much Metta for you Meitou, so sorry for your losses.

A while back I was looking for some ceremonies after the death of a friend and found this pamphlet put out by the San Francisco Zen Center.

It is called When Blossoms Fall: A Zen Guide for Death & Dying

https://branchingstreams.sfzc.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Blossoms-Fall-Booklet_Edition3-printfinal.pdf

I found some of the materials helpful.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

Washin
08-31-2020, 05:48 PM
So sad. Sorry for your losses, Meitou. Much Metta gassho2

Gassho
Washin
st-lah

Kyonin
08-31-2020, 06:29 PM
Hi Meitu,

Just this weekend I was asked to offer a small funeral ceremony for the father of a student. Since her family is not Buddhist, I kept it simple. I gave a small talk and chanted the Heart Sutra and the Metta Verses, which worked fine for everyone.

Hope this helps.

Gassho,

Kyonin
sat/LAH

Onka
08-31-2020, 07:09 PM
Sorry for your loss Meitou
My go to is the Heart Sutra.
Gassho
Onka
st

Meitou
08-31-2020, 07:09 PM

A while back I was looking for some ceremonies after the death of a friend and found this pamphlet put out by the San Francisco Zen Center.

https://branchingstreams.sfzc.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Blossoms-Fall-Booklet_Edition3-printfinal.pdf

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

What an amazing and beautiful resource this booklet is, I would recommend everyone takes a look at it - I've downloaded it to print. Thank you Shinshi and thank you everyone for your Metta - that wasn't the reason I posted this thread but I'm very grateful for your kindness.
Gassho
Meitou
sattoday lah

Meitou
08-31-2020, 07:14 PM
Metta to you Meitou - I will sit for you; not to be corny - but I really believe our loved ones are always with us even if we can't see them; the true gathas they leave are in and on our hearts. They are here with you always.

Gassho

Risho
-stlah

Yes I believe this too Risho, thank you.
Gassho
Meitou sattoday lah

Naiko
08-31-2020, 10:47 PM
That is a lot of loss; much Metta to you, Meitou.
Gassho,
Krista
st

Seikan
08-31-2020, 11:27 PM
Meitou,

So sorry for your losses. I will offer Metta for you and your family/friends this week.

Gassho,
Rob

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Kaishin
09-01-2020, 12:32 AM
Meitou, my sincere condolences to you and yours.

Tairin
09-01-2020, 12:41 AM
Metta for you Meitou. I am sorry to hear of your losses.

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Jundo
09-01-2020, 03:40 AM

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

Now that is a very nice lovely booklet. Let's make a study of it, and maybe adapt it for our Sangha. Lovely.

Thank you, Shinshi.

Gassho, J

Jinyo
09-01-2020, 03:55 AM
Thinking of you Meitou,

[gassholook]

Jinyo

Meitou
09-01-2020, 05:14 AM
Thank you again everyone, deep bows for your generous Metta.
Jundo, yes let's!
Gassho
Meitou
Sattoday lah

Margherita
09-01-2020, 11:58 AM
My condolances to you and your family. I will dedicate zazen to you and your family.

Gassho,
Mags
ST

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Inshin
09-01-2020, 06:43 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. Recently I've read a very personal and touching article about grief and Zen practice. It has stuck with me so much that I catch myself often asking "where are you now?"
https://www.lionsroar.com/where-are-you-now/
Gassho
Sat

Shinshi
09-01-2020, 08:29 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. Recently I've read a very personal and touching article about grief and Zen practice. It has stuck with me so much that I catch myself often asking "where are you now?"
Gassho
Sat

Lovely. Thank you for sharing.

gassho2

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

Meitou
09-01-2020, 09:13 PM
Gassho
Sat

This is so thought provoking; it really resonated today and yes, it will stay a long time with me too.
Thank you so much Ania.
And Mags - grazie!
Gassho
Meitou
sattoday lah

Doshin
09-01-2020, 10:52 PM
Meitou gassho2

Doshin
St

serenewolf
09-02-2020, 04:54 AM
Condolences, i have just lost a friend as well. My inbox is always open if you want to talk. Zazen will be very important during this time.

Gassho
David
Sat/lah

Shōnin Risa Bear
09-02-2020, 05:33 AM
_()_

gassho
shonin satlah today

Ryudo
09-02-2020, 07:32 AM
gassho2gassho2gassho2

SatToday

Meitou
09-02-2020, 08:25 AM
Again thank you all for the kindness. A reminder today that while there is death in life, so there is life in death - my niece gave birth to a daughter Gigi Francesca this morning, making me a delighted Great Aunt gassho1
Metta to you David.
Gassho
Meitou
Sattoday lah

Jundo
09-03-2020, 12:16 AM
gassho2

Kokuu
09-03-2020, 03:29 AM
A reminder today that while there is death in life, so there is life in death - my niece gave birth to a daughter Gigi Francesca this morning, making me a delighted Great Aunt

Oh, that's wonderful, Meitou!

Was she named after you?

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday/lah-

Meitou
09-03-2020, 06:48 AM
Oh, that's wonderful, Meitou!

Was she named after you?

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday/lah-

Her mummy Rosanna- my brother's daughter - has Francesca as her middle name, and Rosanna in turn has done the same, so yes, I'm honoured to be the source and very lucky to have such a beautiful and meaningful name.
Wouldn't mind Gigi either, the eponymous song was one of my favourites when I was a little girl.
Every moment of joy should be celebrated in this most difficult of years.
Gassho
Meitou
Sattoday lah

Geika
09-04-2020, 10:28 PM
Every moment of joy should be celebrated in this most difficult of years.

Gassho

Sat today, lah