PDA

View Full Version : Searching for book...old-timers please weigh in

Tosei
08-31-2020, 07:14 AM
Thirty years or so ago, I found a book with a title something along the lines of, "10,000 bows or 10,000 steps to [somewhere]." I think it was a 1970s pilgrimage walk to Tassajara, but simply don't remember. That book was my first introduction to zen, and I'd love to be reminded of it, should any of you know of it.

Gassho,

Peter

sat today

Nanrin
08-31-2020, 08:18 AM
Are you thinking of Rev. Heng Sure at the temple of 10,000 Buddhas? He did a multi year bowing pilgrimage in California back in the 70's. Look him up and see if that story rings a bell. There are several books, about it, maybe that is what you are remembering.

Gassho,

Nanrin

Sat today

Tosei
08-31-2020, 09:00 AM
Are you thinking of Rev. Heng Sure at the temple of 10,000 Buddhas? He did a multi year bowing pilgrimage in California back in the 70's. Look him up and see if that story rings a bell. There are several books, about it, maybe that is what you are remembering.

Gassho,

Nanrin

Sat today

Many, many thanks, Nanrin. You got it in one; the title is With one heart bowing to the City of 10,000 Buddhas. How nice (and slightly terrifying) to think back to that first discovery of a thing I still find essential.

Gassho,

Peter

sat today