PDA

View Full Version : Practice that is Actually Practice

gaurdianaq
08-28-2020, 02:04 AM
One of the practices I'm trying to make more into a habit is saying some sort of meal gatha before I eat as well as a daily metta practice. But I often find I struggle to either remember the meal gatha, or in the case of the metta chant, I have trouble bringing myself to actually feel loving kindness when saying it. That's not to say that that I'm feeling negative thoughts/emotions either, just that I feel like I'm just saying words without much meaning behind them.

I suppose in regards to the meal gatha, perhaps a first step would be to try and work towards slowing myself down enough to just eat the food without feeling like I need to be watching/doing something else while I eat. As for the metta practice, is this one of those "fake it till you make it" moments?

Slightly longer than 3 sentences, apologies
gassho1
Evan,
Sat today/LAH

Geika
08-28-2020, 02:57 AM
I would just say the meal gatha as soon as I remembered that I had forgotten it, and eventually I remembered at the right time.

When I chant metta, it is in response to hearing or reading something that brings up a strong emotion in me, either joyful, angry or sad, like a prayer. Because of the emotion, drumming up that feeling of hope for better, empathy, or shared joy, is not something that must be forced.

Gassho
Sat today, lah

Jundo
08-28-2020, 03:37 AM
Remembering the Meal Gatha is just a habit to develop, same as any habit, and it is a lovely practice we recommend.

'Gatha' are short, meaningful little recitation which can be recited before (and/or after) many 'ordinary' daily activities to remind us how sacred they are, and how all support our life and practice ... from eating to work to going to the toilet to washing the face ...

Each can be recited out loud or silently within.

A very special 'Meal Gatha' might be recited by oneself or with one's family (much like 'Saying Grace') .. or during lunch breaks at work, etc (in voice or silently). Here is the one we recite during our annual 'Ango' period, but it is excellent as a daily practice and reminder ...

(Hands in Gassho) This food comes from the efforts
of all sentient beings past and present,
and is medicine for nourishment of our Practice-Life.
We offer this meal of many virtues and tastes
to the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha,
and to all life in every realm of existence.
May all sentient beings in the universe
be sufficiently nourished.
https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?8069-RECOMMENDED-At-Home-Liturgy

Metta is a visualization practice, a "Method Acting" (Metta Acting? :p ) practice in which, like an actor on stage at first if need be, one actually summons the feeling from within somewhere, for a memory perhaps, until the "role" assumed is embodied and becomes how one really feels. Many Buddhist practice, especially many of the meditations which the Tibetans and South Asians use, are visualization and embodiment practices in some way (e.g., the Tibetans often summon to mind the image of a Buddha or Bodhisattva, and their qualities, so that one might actually embody those qualities).

Gassho, J

STLah

Tairin
08-28-2020, 11:31 AM
What Geika wrote is exactly what I did/do with regards to both the Meal Gatha and the Metta Chant. With the Metta Chant there have been days where I feel like I am silently reciting it continuously due to frustrations or anger with myself or with other people. To some degree it is like taking a moment to count to ten before reacting.

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Shinshi
08-28-2020, 02:10 PM
What I have done is print out the Gatha and cut it down so it will fit in my wallet. Then, if I forget some of the words I have a reference.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

Risho
08-28-2020, 04:37 PM
(just echoing others :) At first I had to write it down for reference, but then after you do it for a while you just remember it (like the Heart Sutra - although I do not remember it in Japanese. hahaha). I feel like I may need to add a coffee gatha, as I'm probably more attached to that than food. [toomuch]

Gassho

Risho
-stlah

Kokuu
08-28-2020, 05:00 PM
Hi Evan

I wonder if you could pin up a copy of the meal gatha at the place where you normally eat, or have it as a folded card on the table?

We used to have a copy up next to the kitchen table and it helped both remember to recite and for my children to learn the words (they originally asked for our own meal prayer after reciting a Christian one at school).

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday/lah-

Shoki
08-28-2020, 06:13 PM
I usually either write stuff down and keep it in my wallet as Shinshi said or put in on my phone in "Notes." I like the sound and rhythm of a lot of the verses and chants in Japanese so writing down or typing it is essential to me. Also some of the shorter ones like the meal chant and the robe verse, I've learned through repetition.

Gassho
STlah
Shoki

gaurdianaq
08-28-2020, 07:52 PM
So I should clarify, I didn't mean that my goal was to remember the words to a meal gatha, but to remember to say something in the first place. I don't currently have any intention of reciting a specific gatha every time, I just want to make sure to remember to say/think something to express gratitude for the food I'm about to eat.

gassho1
Evan,
Sat today, LAH

Jundo
08-28-2020, 11:07 PM
... I feel like I may need to add a coffee gatha, as I'm probably more attached to that than food. [toomuch]

Hah!We actually have had a few which members created, or you can write your own ...

Making morning coffee
I vow with all beings
to remember the purpose of all actions
is to be awake, awake!

Grinding fresh afternoon coffee
I vow with all beings
to inhale each moment
dropping likes and dislikes.

[coffee][wave]

Gassho, J

STLah

Risho
08-28-2020, 11:32 PM
excellent! I’m totally reciting those in ango :)

gassho

rish
-stlah

Geika
08-29-2020, 12:40 AM
I don't currently have any intention of reciting a specific gatha every time, I just want to make sure to remember to say/think something to express gratitude for the food I'm about to eat.

A grateful bow is just as meaningful in my opinion.

Gassho
Sat today, lah

gaurdianaq
08-29-2020, 02:08 AM
A grateful bow is just as meaningful in my opinion.

Gassho
Sat today, lah

I agree, but at the same time I like to try and bring to mind specifics as well, like if I'm having coffee, to try and recognize all the different groups of people that made it possible, the people who grew the beans, who roasted them, all the various people who delivered them. (I know that's all covered by saying all sentient beings, but I still find it nice to point out the specifics.

gassho1,
Evan
Sat today, lah

Tairin
08-29-2020, 02:29 PM
I agree, but at the same time I like to try and bring to mind specifics as well, like if I'm having coffee, to try and recognize all the different groups of people that made it possible, the people who grew the beans, who roasted them, all the various people who delivered them. (I know that's all covered by saying all sentient beings, but I still find it nice to point out the specifics.

I find it very useful to try to enumerate all the sentient beings that would have contributed to my meal. It really helps to realize just how dependent we are on so many others for our food.

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah