PDA

View Full Version : Dropping off body and mind

Ryumon
08-21-2020, 02:06 PM
From Living by Vow by Shohaku Okumura

We usually think we are awake except when we are asleep at night or napping, but actually we are usually asleep and dreaming. We imagine this world, our lives, and ourselves. We create dream-worlds and then believe that they are reality. And yet, they are only constructs of our mind. We create a story in which we are the hero or heroinc. We think we are the center of the world, and all other people and things are resources to make a happy ending for our story. This is how we live in a dream. To awaken means to drop off body and mind, become free from dreaming and encounter reality.

Gassho,

Kirk

Sat

Meitou
08-21-2020, 02:45 PM

We usually think we are awake except when we are asleep at night or napping, but actually we are usually asleep and dreaming. We imagine this world, our lives, and ourselves. We create dream-worlds and then believe that they are reality. And yet, they are only constructs of our mind. We create a story in which we are the hero or heroinc. We think we are the center of the world, and all other people and things are resources to make a happy ending for our story. This is how we live in a dream. To awaken means to drop off body and mind, become free from dreaming and encounter reality.

Gassho,

Kirk

Sat

This.
gassho2

Meitou
Sattoday

Nengei
08-21-2020, 02:46 PM
I often dwell in unawareness of my own being-ness and buddha-ness. I frequently forget my place with the other grains of rice. Because of this, it is hard to find contentment.

Gassho,
然芸 Nengei
Sat today. LAH.

Seikan
08-21-2020, 03:06 PM

Gassho,

Kirk

Satgassho2

Gassho,
Rob

-st-

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Tairin
08-21-2020, 03:13 PM
gassho2

Tairin
Sat today and lah

Seishin
08-21-2020, 05:12 PM
Seek nothing, find your true self. [monk]

sat

Onka
08-21-2020, 06:07 PM
I'm fortunate to live with a lot of physical pain and to have been unwell this year. I say fortunate because it is a great teacher. I choose not to escape it.
Gassho
Onka
ST

Naiko
08-21-2020, 08:39 PM
Is this related to the Tibetan Lojong instruction to “Regard all events as if they were dreams?”
Gassho,
Krista
st/lah

Tairin
08-22-2020, 03:32 PM
I'm fortunate to live with a lot of physical pain and to have been unwell this year. I say fortunate because it is a great teacher. I choose not to escape it.

gassho2 and Metta to you Onka.

Tairin
Sat today and lah

Bokugan
08-22-2020, 05:37 PM

Gassho,

Kirk

SatThank you

Gassho

Ryan
Sat Today

Doshin
08-22-2020, 05:41 PM
gassho2

Doshin
St

Jakuden
08-23-2020, 02:33 AM
gassho1

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday

shikantazen
08-23-2020, 02:37 AM
If I wake up from the dream world, what about people I love (my kids)? I am always concerned about my kids. Genuine and dumb question

Gassho,
Sam
ST

Jundo
08-23-2020, 02:43 AM
If I wake up from the dream world, what about people I love (my kids)? I am always concerned about my kids. Genuine and dumb question

Gassho,
Sam
ST

Your real-dream children are also in this real-dream, and your love and concern for them is as real as real can be, both in your heart and how you act upon that heart in the world in which we share this dream. So, please keep on loving and caring for your children with your very real feelings, and dream lovely hopes, and make a beautiful and dreamy world for them and you too.

Gassho, J

STLah

Getchi
08-23-2020, 10:30 AM
Your real-dream children are also in this real-dream, and your love and concern for them is as real as real can be, both in your heart and how you act upon that heart in the world in which we share this dream. So, please keep on loving and caring for your children with your very real feelings, and dream lovely hopes, and make a beautiful and dreamy world for them and you too.

Gassho, J

STLah

This is gorgeous.

I love in a car now, yet all know I'm worth more.

What vehicle should we choose?

SatToday
LaH
Geoff.

nknibbs
08-23-2020, 11:39 AM

Gassho,
Sam
ST

Sam,

That is not a dumb question at all. I think it gets to the heart of practice— how to practice non attachment and boundlessness and be a human being all at the same time. This question is incredibly basic and profound at the same time.

Gassho,
Nick
SatLah

nknibbs
08-23-2020, 11:41 AM

Gassho, J

STLah

Jundo Roshi,

Well said. I felt that was one of the most genuine responses I have seen in these forums. Truly felt like I was peering into an I-Thou moment right there.

Gassho,
Nick
SatLah

Tai Shi
08-29-2020, 01:47 AM
Oh, I don't know much. I know my wife, and I know my friends, and Jundo and Kyosui, men I have met once I count as good friends, and my friend I see about every 6 to 8 months, this man who loves plants. My friend who feeds my compassion. He is a good trusted friend. These friends and Kokuu are enough, there are others like my old friends along the way and then my father, and my daughter, dad recognizing I am good. I will always be son and father, these with gratitude. Is not gratitude, and trusted friendships enough. Oh, I have to eat, shower, dress, take care of myself. The rest is luxury. So, I sit on this, life is sweet if we take care of others and ourselves.
Gassho
sat/ lah
Tai Shi

Eva
08-29-2020, 06:35 PM

Gassho,
Sam
ST

Hello Sam ,

waking up from a dream doesn't mean you will turn into a stone with an icicle instead of a heart .
waking up simply means that your mind which is now so busy with "non-becoming, non-effort and non-desiring", is free to do what you decide it should do .

Gassho, eva
sattoday and also LAH

Jundo
08-29-2020, 11:43 PM
Hello Sam ,

waking up from a dream doesn't mean you will turn into a stone with an icicle instead of a heart .
waking up simply means that your mind which is now so busy with "non-becoming, non-effort and non-desiring", is free to do what you decide it should do .

Gassho, eva
sattoday and also LAH

Oh, Eva, I am afraid that no matter however long one practices, the mind sometimes still has a mind of its own. It is something like driving a car or sailing a boat: Even the best driver or sailor is not always in full control of circumstances or where the vehicle (our head) wishes to head.

However, we certainly develop greater skill at guiding, meeting situations and keeping on the road or afloat. [monk]

Gassho, J

STLah

Eva
08-30-2020, 08:28 AM
Oh, Eva, I am afraid that no matter however long one practices, the mind sometimes still has a mind of its own. It is something like driving a car or sailing a boat: Even the best driver or sailor is not always in full control of circumstances or where the vehicle (our head) wishes to head.

However, we certainly develop greater skill at guiding, meeting situations and keeping on the road or afloat. [monk]

Gassho, J

STLah

.. and it is free to have "a mind of it's own" without feeling this should not be so :)

PS please don't be afraid ;D

Gassho, eva
sattoday and also LAH

Tairin
08-30-2020, 01:03 PM
It is something like driving a car or sailing a boat: Even the best driver or sailor is not always in full control of circumstances or where the vehicle (our head) wishes to head.

This is a fantastic metaphor.

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah