PDA

View Full Version : Splitting monthly zazenkai session ?

Heikyo
08-17-2020, 07:27 AM
Just a quick question. If I do not have time to sit the monthly zazenkai in one block, is it OK to split it over two 2 hour sessions 'off-line", or is this not recommended? I am struggling to find the full 4 hours to do the monthly zazenkai session at the moment, and it's a requirement of Ango...
Gassho
Paul
Sat today

Jundo
08-17-2020, 07:37 AM
Just a quick question. If I do not have time to sit the monthly zazenkai in one block, is it OK to split it over two 2 hour sessions 'off-line", or is this not recommended? I am struggling to find the full 4 hours to do the monthly zazenkai session at the moment, and it's a requirement of Ango...
Gassho
Paul
Sat today

It is fine to split it into smaller bits if needed because of life obligations, personal health and stamina or the like. No problem.

Of course, Zazen is beyond measures of long or short, but there is something wonderful about sometimes sitting long. However, if you cannot, no problem: Whether sitting long or short, always drop all mental measures of time and "long vs. short" when sitting.

One of the wonderful aspects of our Zazenkai by the way is, because they are recorded in "real time," it is also possible to sit them double or triple times too! :p

However, no problem at all to sit shorter blocks if you need. See you there.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Washin
08-17-2020, 07:55 AM
Usually, when sitting it recorded I split it into 4 pieces 1 hour each which I manage to cover during the week.

Gassho,
Washin
sat today

Onka
08-17-2020, 08:05 AM
Hi Paul
Because of beautiful ugliness that this weird experience we call life I regularly have to "sit" even our weekly Zazenkai in bits, bits being a genuine chronological measurement but I "sit" at least a bit, again a genuine chronological measurement every morning.
Life eh... Just a bunch of bits really innit.
Gassho
Onka
Sitted at bit then a bit more.

Shinshi
08-17-2020, 02:03 PM
I just think of it as time shifting. You are there in the moment, for each moment, but not all the moments are contiguous. :)

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

Heikyo
08-17-2020, 05:15 PM
Thank you Jundo and everyone else for the advice. I think this has been a stumbling block for me - thinking that I have to do the full 4 hours in one sitting has meant I have not engaged with the monthly sittings as much as I would have liked.
Gassho
Paul
Sat today

sreed
08-20-2020, 02:44 AM
I have a small child and sitting uninterupted for 4 hours just doesn't always happen. 2 hour nuggests or even 1 hour nuggests works for me. It's a goal for Jukai to sit for the 4 hours as often as possible.
Sara
ST