PDA

View Full Version : Two eyes open together

Jundo
07-23-2020, 03:47 AM
In Shikantaza, one learns to have ordinary human preferences, yet simultaneously, no preferences at all, all in the very same instant. We can have wants and needs, yet be totally free of all wants and needs, both together in the same heart. It is possible to have healthy human desires while also free of all desire whatsoever, in a single thought!

It is like seeing out of two eyes, left and right, perceiving and encountering the world from different and opposing angles ... preferences yet no preferences, desires yet no desires, needs yet no needs ... with both eyes open together holding the clarity of a Buddha's Eye.

One learns that sometimes we will fear in life (for there are some scary things) yet, in the very same moment, one knows the shelter beyond all fear to the marrow. Running for our very lives in a cold sweat, yet free of all fear, held in one taste.

These seeming contradictions are like opposite flavors mixed together in a pot, the sour and sweet perfuming and empowering each other, such that fear and fearlessness, goals and goallessness, needs and satisfaction, become one luscious taste.

One learns that we can make choices, have goals and things to do, for we must be active to live, and we can have likes and loves, as well as things we detest, hopes. regrets and dreams ... yet as if sharing the very same heart ..., there is freedom from all preferences, a flood of equanimity, nothing to repair, nothing in need of doing, no goal remaining unfulfilled. We are incomplete yet complete at once.

It is like making a trip, pushing ahead to the goal of desired destinations, yet as one walks, each single footstep is its own arrival, and no matter how far one goes, one never leaves home.

We learn to live in a world of birth and death, aging, sickness and health ... yet, in the same breath, know timelessness, flowing beyond birth and death, wholeness washing away all measures of sickness or health. Death yet no death, sickness yet never sickness, time yet timeless ...

People wrongly believe that we can be, or need to be, only one way or the other: We are either driven to survive by human desires, or frozen like opium addicts so totally content that they forget to feed themselves. They think that fear and total freedom from fear is an either/or proposition, and both cannot logically be true at once, yet our Koan revealed is that "either" and "or" are just two faces of a single mountain, the front and back of one shining moon. A secret of Zen Practice is that one can know total contentedness AND human discontent at once, simultaneously experienced, as two sides of a no sided coin. We can experience ordinary human desires, fears, plans, sadness ... while not being their prisoner, all in lovely moderation ... while further, thoroughly free of all desire, fear, goals and sadness at once, to the marrow, case closed.

Our way to know this Wisdom is to sit in the complete Wholeness and Completion of simple sitting, Shikantaza, filled with equanimity, nothing more to choose, nothing whatsoever more in need of attaining ... all as our eyes remain open, and thoughts drift by, of discontents, choices, fears and all the rest.

This is the wisdom of Shikantaza.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

jgotthart
07-23-2020, 04:13 AM
Beautiful Jundo. It is good to have a reminder that there is a middle way.

Gassho,
John
SatTodayLah

Jundo
07-23-2020, 04:40 AM
Beautiful Jundo. It is good to have a reminder that there is a middle way.

Gassho,
John
SatTodayLah

Perhaps, more than "middle way," it is both sides at once, looking right left and middle yet no right left or middle. [scared]

Gassho, J

STLah

Yokai
07-23-2020, 04:45 AM
Thank you Jundo. Beautiful gassho1

These seeming contradictions are like opposite flavors mixed together...one luscious taste.
Salted Caramel?

Gassho
Chris sattodayLAH

Kotei
07-23-2020, 05:15 AM
Thank you.

Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Meitou
07-23-2020, 06:21 AM
Yes!
Gassho
Meitou
Sattoday lah

Horin
07-23-2020, 07:10 AM
Thank you, Jundo!
Beautiful words

Gassho,
Ben

Stlah

Enviado desde mi PLK-L01 mediante Tapatalk

Kaiku
07-23-2020, 01:49 PM
[emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]

Ghasso
Bobby
SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seikan
07-23-2020, 03:03 PM
Thank you for this teaching Jundo.

You have a wonderful way of making the teachings clear and accessible.

Gassho,
Rob

-st-

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Risho
07-23-2020, 08:13 PM
Thank you Jundo. That's the heart sutra if I've ever heard it.

Gassho

Rish
-stlah

Shokai
07-23-2020, 11:19 PM
Thank you Jundo, I was just reading about this today in Okumura's 'Living by Vow.' It's probably one of the most difficult of Buddhist concepts to get your mind around. Years of Shikantaza will do it for you tho, :encouragement:

gassho, Shokai
stlah

Tairin
07-24-2020, 02:15 AM
Wonderful. Thank you Jundo

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

vanbui
07-24-2020, 09:31 AM
Wonderful wisdom.
Deep bows
Van
Satlah

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Kyōsen
07-24-2020, 03:25 PM
gassho1

Gassho
Kyōsen
Sat|LAH

Onka
07-24-2020, 09:43 PM
Gassho
Onka
sat today

Jakugan
07-25-2020, 09:08 PM
gassho2
Jakugan/sat/lah

Shoki
07-25-2020, 10:44 PM
Thank you for this, Jundo.

Gassho
STlah
Shoki

Tai Shi
07-27-2020, 01:11 PM
I am seeking, and finding equanimity in my life by seeking to do good with and for others. I put aside my problems for now (I have plenty of time and opportunity to discuss these later with one I care about at a stronger time in their lives) and give emotionally to another, or doing something for them. This can include charities, or even with my Zendo. This is the key for me-- as I am able, give to others. Thank you Jundo for this teaching. Now I practice zazen. Shikantaza, just sitting.
Tai Shi
sat/ lah
Gassho

Tai Shi
08-03-2020, 04:57 PM
I have learned to sit with bad days and good days. Equanimity comes without saying and under all circumstances. The metaphor of child's funger "cuffs" became one of the ideas I used in surrender about 33 years ago As Marjorie helped me through the initial stage of sobriety. It was then for the very first time I realized the relationship between equnimity and gratitude, an intuition I have visited and revisited over more than three decades. My mind and emotion being equal, there is a recriprcal relationship between such mental formations as mind, feeling, attitude, and emptiness as one feels as one becomes Shikantaza or just sitting. For me I began with mantra to accept, then to change, then to not plan the outcomes-- then I begin simply to surrenender, and surrender is the best word as one finds oneself for the first time repedly, over, and over, and on into self recreated over time. No matter how much time between, for if on sits through bad and good it simply will happen. It may not be exactly through sitting, and often a catastrophic incident brings on surrender. There is no doubt. Yet one becomes awear of others in this process, becoumes honest with self and others, and eventually fully grateful for all.
Tai Shi
sat/ lah
Gassho

bukowski
08-03-2020, 05:19 PM
That's a really nice teaching Rev Jundo, which certainly resonates with me.

Thanks you.

Gasho, Karl, sat/lah.

Shinshi
08-03-2020, 08:34 PM
Thank you Jundo. I really like this.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

Tai Shi
08-03-2020, 08:50 PM
I agree with Shokai. Living by my vows is the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Whether with study sitting and commitment or by taking 12 steps one must commit at some point. Oh Jundo opium addict appropriate or Oxycodone or alcohol or sex or credit cards or self aggrandizing, or food. We call this substance abuse for a reassurance or comfort or desire or hidden in the self enshrouded layers of substance. So one emerged to great reality, bad good inference removed. This clarity comes at a cost to face hurt and relief. Like when a child wishes very hard, wish fulfilled then loses interest. So is self absorbed feeling. It’s always the effect one craves. When released one finds reality in a spectrum from bad to good. Thank you Jundo for this teaching
Tai Shi
sat/ Gassho

Washin
08-04-2020, 04:56 AM
Beautiful. Thank you for the teaching, Jundo.gassho2

Gassho
Washin
sat today