PDA

View Full Version : We're All In This Together (14) - Recommendation: Pull Weeds, Plant Seeds

Jundo
04-06-2020, 10:40 AM
Master Dogen taught, "Flowers fall even though we love them; weeds grow even though we detest them." As well, there is the universe which grows and flourishes beyond our likes and dislikes. That said, grab a scythe, pull some weeds, plant some seeds ... even in the city, fill your home with life. it is good for the heart these days. Zen folks have practiced gardening, and learned the wisdom of gardening, for centuries.

https://youtu.be/ScqfY2xfc2E

Gassho, J

STLah

Kyotai
04-06-2020, 11:04 AM
Watched this this morning with a nice cup of coffee. My day off. Thank you Jundo

Gassho Kyotai

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Nengei
04-06-2020, 11:41 AM
Love it. I see at least three edible species even in this small window into your garden. You could garden, then have breakfast!

Gassho,
Nengei
Sat. LAH.

Jundo
04-06-2020, 11:44 AM
Love it. I see at least three edible species even in this small window into your garden. You could garden, then have breakfast!

Gassho,
Nengei
Sat. LAH.

Oh, if I post some photos tomorrow, can you help me identity those edibles? Trying to avoid vegetable shopping at the market these days, for some reason. :neglected:

Of course, we will need to confirm that those are not just look-a-likes in Japan, because trying to avoid hospital trips too right now. So, I will research your information, no worries.

Lovely if we could eat our weeds, truly. I have enough "salad" out there to feed the neighborhood.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Nengei
04-06-2020, 11:52 AM
I will try! Yes, I would confirm locally. In this video I saw what appears to be young dandelion greens (edible and medicinal), purslane (one of the most nutritionally dense foods on the planet), and plantain (not the fruit; it is a broader-leaf green).

Gassho,
Nengei
Sat. LAH.

Nanrin
04-06-2020, 12:13 PM
Thank you for this series, I've really appreciated them.

About a month ago I started a new vegetable garden as work was slow. Since then I have built a greenhouse, started a few new compost piles, and planted a couple dozen vegetables. It's great work for the mind.

Gassho

Nanrin

Sat today

Tairin
04-06-2020, 05:20 PM
Nice. It is still just a little too cold here to start planting much but I have set aside part of next weekend to start on some weeding. I have a feeling I’ll be doing a lot of weeding this summer.

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Kotei
04-06-2020, 05:33 PM
Right in the middle of all that.
Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Doshin
04-06-2020, 05:53 PM
My wife has been planting a large garden. Not only so we can enjoy the bounty but to share with others where fresh produce is a luxury. I help and do what she asks but receive solace watching her joy and excitement.

Thank you Jundo. I look forward to your perspective each day.

Doshin
St

Onka
04-06-2020, 07:49 PM
Pulling weeds and planting seeds - an analogy that forever warms the heart of this humble Zen Buddhist Anarchist.
Gassho
Onka Anna
Sat today/pottering later