PDA

View Full Version : What's a Dharma Gate

Shokai
01-19-2020, 10:02 PM
For anyone interested in learning more about Dharma Gates and specifically the Ippyakuhachi-hōmyōmon / One Hundred and Eight Gates of Dharma Illumination.; go to this link (https://www.bdkamerica.org/system/files/pdf/dBET_T2582_Shobogenzo4_2008_0.pdf?file=1&type=node&id=490) Vol. 4 of the Cross-Nishijima translation of Master Dogen's Shobogenzo (The True Dharma-Eye Treasury) and go to (pg 363/434) Appendix III , Where you will find an explanation of the origination of "the gates" and a listing which gives some insight as to how the Gathas posted in my Blog came into being.

Apart from the magical way in which these gates came to be, There is no mystery involved in what the repetition of the Gathas will achieve. The repetition will help to internalize these concepts and deepen your practice. If after a while the Gates seem to be repetitive it's because they are. The whole purpose of the 108 day exercise is to purify your thinking. A simple process that in fact is quite difficult. But, with a modicum of diligence, it can be done.
Be gentle with yourself and you'll do it one breath at a time.

gassho, Shokai
stlah

Shōnin Risa Bear
01-19-2020, 10:13 PM
gassho2 gassho2 gassho2

gassho
doyu sat/lah today

Doshin
01-19-2020, 10:37 PM
Thanks my friend. I am keeping up with the Gates on Twitter....never used Twitter before but it’s convenient to get my daily dose of the Dharma thanks to you.

Doshin
St

Shokai
01-19-2020, 10:41 PM
gassho2[claps]

Victor
01-19-2020, 10:59 PM
You remind me that I need to eventually procure a copy! I may see if there is an app version available in the meantime!

Gassho

Victor

Sat today

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Victor
01-19-2020, 10:59 PM
Thanks my friend. I am keeping up with the Gates on Twitter....never used Twitter before but it’s convenient to get my daily dose of the Dharma thanks to you.

Doshin
StMay I ask which Twitter profile you're following for this?
Thank you! Gassho

Victor

Sat today

Doshin
01-19-2020, 11:30 PM
Victor your question may be too technical for me:). I got the link from a Treeleaf post and looking at my a Twitter account I believe it is 108 Dharma Gates@108Gates. Hopefully that gets you there. Maybe somebody can correct me if wrong.

Doshin
St

Victor
01-19-2020, 11:31 PM
Victor your question may be too technical for me:). I got the link from a Treeleaf post and looking at my a Twitter account I believe it is 108 Dharma Gates@108Gates. Hopefully that gets you there. Maybe somebody can correct me if wrong.

Doshin
StThanks so much!
Gassho
St

Shokai
01-20-2020, 04:35 AM
Victor:
Click on "Forum" on the ribbon, Scroll right down at the bottom of the page and there is a link to the blog

gassho, Shokai
stlah

Victor
01-20-2020, 04:52 AM
Victor:
Click on "Forum" on the ribbon, Scroll right down at the bottom of the page and there is a link to the blog

gassho, Shokai
stlahThanks so much, Shokai!
Gassho

St

Onka
01-20-2020, 06:52 AM
Thankyou Shokai
Gassho
Onka
st

Heiso
01-20-2020, 12:20 PM
Thank you for this, Shokai, I'm also following along on Twitter

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

Gukan
01-20-2020, 06:36 PM
Thank you Shokai. I’ve just followed on Twitter to hopefully remind you follow *off* Twitter too, and will also check out your blog

Gassho,
Gukan / Libby
STLAH

Kokuu
01-21-2020, 01:16 PM
Thank you so much for doing this each year, Shokai.

It is a beautiful thing.

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday/lah-