PDA

View Full Version : KYONIN (and Jundo's) TRAVEL DIARY in JAPAN

Jundo
09-24-2019, 03:03 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWAgXnVdP0udN2QZVn3eSj2RXnyuR6G cArLdeiVhwZSDUTdyqYhttps://onemileatatime.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/NRTMEX.gifhttp://analisisrealista.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/chocobuda.jpeg

Dear All,

I am so pleased that, this Friday morning, I will be welcoming our priest Kyonin Barros, who is travelling to Japan from Guadalajara via Mexico City. It is Kyonin's first time in Japan, he considers it primarily a pilgrimage to visit and honor some of the places cherished in our Zen Tradition, and he owes it all to the many donors who sent funds to him to make it possible. (I thank you all too, and there is more than enough now for his expenses, and no more is needed. He and I are trying to keep the costs of his visit low, and the balance will be donated to a public charity to help those in need.)

Kyonin will be here for about 2 and 1/2 weeks (I wish it was longer), and he will begin his visit in Tsukuba, at our house and Treeleaf Zendo, sitting Zazen and hanging with my family a bit. On this trip, Kyonin will be able to stay for the night at Eiheiji, the monastery of our founder Dogen Zenji, and where Kyonin's Dharma Great-Grandfather (Nishijima Roshi's Teacher), Rempo Niwa Zenji, was Abbot. Other stops will include a week of hard Sesshin at Antaiji, the temple of Homeless Kodo Sawaki Roshi and Uchiyama Roshi, who inspire us (thank you to Abbot Muho Noelke for being so welcoming, as he usually refuses most visitors).

As well, I (Jundo) will join Kyonin for much of the rest of the trip, and we have planned activities including a visit to pay respects to what are said to be ashes and a tooth of the Buddha in our neighboring towns, visits to the Great Buddhas of Nara and Kamakura, not to forget the Really Giant Buddha of Ushiku next to Tsukuba (as well as one more Very Big Buddha at the Sri Lankan Buddhist Vihara temple located a few minutes from Treeleaf in Tsukuba too), a barefoot fire walking ceremony conducted by Buddhist mountain monks, Buddhist hermit caves dug centuries ago deep under the earth, visits to several of the famous Rinzai Zen temples and gardens in Kyoto and Kamakura and more. We may even visit the android Kannon at a Zen temple in Kyoto. My mission is to expose Kyonin to as much of the power and wonder of Japanese Buddhism, and Japanese culture, as I can during his short stay!

There will be other activities and adventures along the way too ... a bit of getting naked in a hot spring, overnight buses, youth hostels (we still count as "youth"), lots of walking, mountains to hike, Taiko drumming, tea drinking, and eating some weird stuff to challenge his gut. I don't go easy on guests to our house. [evil2] Not to mention that he has to share some tiny rooms with snoring me, and listen to my prattle for days!

And we want to take you all along! (Or as much as possible). The days of Sesshin and retreat will be silent, but for other times, Kyonin (supplemented by me) will post here with stories and photos about the daily goings on!

It all begins with our MONTHLY 4-HOUR ZAZENKAI (this Friday Night in America, Saturday morning other places) led by Kyonin, and featuring a Dharma Talk by him too (I am told that we will be bilingual English-Spanish this time). Please join us for that:

LINK TO OUR MONTHLY (Oct.?) 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI with Rev. KYONIN! (https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?17248-Sept-27th-2th-2019-OUR-MONTHLY-%28Oct-%29-4-hour-Treeleaf-ZAZENKAI-with-Rev-KYONIN%21)

Vaya con Buddha, Kyonin!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - I would also like to make a special mention, and express our thanks, to our friend at Treeleaf, Rev. Kakunen, who has really gone to much trouble these past weeks to arrange some sittings for Kyonin (not always successfully because some doors are hard to open, but he tried so hard, and all worked out in the end!)

Kotei
09-24-2019, 03:20 PM
Wonderful news,
that makes me happy.
Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Kyonin
09-24-2019, 03:31 PM
Dear all,

It is with a humble heart and full of gratitude to all of you that I write this. My training has come to a point that I feel the need to cross the planet in a pilgrimage to pay my respects to some of the key places in our tradition.

But even more important, I'll go to sit right by our teacher, Jundo Roshi. We will walk around Japan, we will talk and we will just be still and silent. And maybe we will dance some mambo! Stay tuned to see how I destroy dancing forever!

In this thread you'll find record of my pilgrimage, my adventures with Jundo and some pictures, words and maybe a couple of poems.

Treeleaf has always been home for me, but with this travel the phrase "I take refuge in the sangha" gets a deeper meaning. I feel loved, protected and connected to all of you.

With all my heart I want to thank you all who made this travel a reality.

So lets see how this goes. I'll keep you posted.

Gassho,

Kyonin
Sat/LAH

Ishin
09-24-2019, 03:43 PM
I am so grateful and happy that Kyonin is able to have this experience, and that we are able to have this experience with him.

Gassho
Ishin
Sat/lah

Horin
09-24-2019, 03:59 PM
Awesome! Wonderful, I'm happy for you, kyonin.

I wish you a great time in Japan

Gassho

Ben

Stlah

Gesendet von meinem PLK-L01 mit Tapatalk

Doshin
09-24-2019, 04:14 PM
This is a great adventure and opportunity to learn and help us learn. Safe travels Kyonin

Gassho
Doshin
St

Hoseki
09-24-2019, 05:11 PM
Wonderful! I look forward to seeing pictures and reading stories from the trip.

gassho
Hoseki
Sattoday

Nenka
09-24-2019, 05:31 PM
I am super excited! :o

Good luck & safe travels!

Nenka

ST

Meitou
09-24-2019, 06:00 PM
So excited for you Kyonin, it's going to be a wonderful experience. Blessings for your travels.
Gassho
Meitou
sattodaylah

Onka
09-24-2019, 07:39 PM
Kyonin will need a holiday after all this haha. I am looking forward to reading of the adventures though.
Gassho.
Anna

Sat today.

Edit: I won't be able to sit two way live this week unfortunately. My partner reminded me that we have plans Saturday. I will try doing the entire Zazenkai on Sunday morning in one sitting.

Heisoku
09-24-2019, 09:08 PM
I, like many others here, feel such happiness for you Kyonin.
May it be a wonderful journey.
Look forward to sitting with you all this weekend.
Gassho
Heisoku
Stlah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyotai
09-24-2019, 09:16 PM
Wonderful. Enjoy the trip!!

Gassho Kyotai
ST

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Kyōsen
09-24-2019, 09:59 PM
I am so excited for you, Kyonin! What a wonderful opportunity! I am looking forward to reading all about your adventures around Japan!

頑張ってこい!

Gassho,
Sen
SatToday

Kakunen
09-24-2019, 10:20 PM
Welcome to Japan,hope to have good practice days.

Gassho
LAH/Sat
Kakunen

Tairin
09-24-2019, 11:59 PM
Wonderful. I hope you have a great trip Kyonin. Thank you for bringing us along

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Shugen
09-25-2019, 12:42 AM
Safe travels!

Gassho,

Shugen

Shokai
09-25-2019, 12:53 AM
Gmabatte Amigo; cu on the internet

Gassho, Shokai
stlah

Geika
09-25-2019, 02:51 AM
Bon voyage! See you on the other side of the screen, in the actual Treeleaf Zendo! :D

Gassho

Sat today, lah

Byokan
09-25-2019, 05:09 AM
Dear Kyonin,

Thank you for your practice, brother. Travel safe and have fun! Really looking forward to seeing you two together again. gassho1

Gassho
Byōkan
sat + lah

Washin
09-25-2019, 06:39 AM
This is amazing and wonderful! I look forward to seeing further news...
Safe travels and enjoy the trip, Kyonin gassho1

Gassho
Washin
sattoday

Tai Do
09-25-2019, 02:29 PM
Have a good travel, Kyonin. I’m looking forward for your posts and photos. We are all sitting with you on this journey.
Gassho,
Mateus
Sat today

KellyRok
09-25-2019, 02:39 PM
I wish you safe travels and can't wait to hear about your experiences! Thank you for bringing us along with you. gassho2

Gassho,
Kelly/Jinmei
sattoday
lah

Heiso
09-25-2019, 02:53 PM
This sounds amazing. Have a great trip, Kyonin and I looking forward to joining you virtually.

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

Getchi
09-25-2019, 03:16 PM
Awesome!

Kyonin you are a great example to many here!

-Gassho
Geoff.

SatToday
LaH.

Daiyo
09-25-2019, 03:26 PM
Felicidades y buen viaje Kyonin.

Gassho,
Daiyo
ST/LaH

Enviado desde mi Redmi 5 Plus mediante Tapatalk

Kendrick
09-25-2019, 04:16 PM
So happy for you, Kyonin! I look forward to following your adventure. :) /\

Gassho
Kendrick
Sat

Meian
09-25-2019, 08:59 PM
YAY!!! Kyonin, I am sooo happy for you. [emoji16][emoji7] This is so exciting, and so happy to be a part of your journey! [emoji120][emoji2310][emoji170]

And thank you, Jundo and Mr. K -- what a wonderful and special experience you have created for Kyonin and all of Treeleaf [emoji120]

Gassho2
Kim
St lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Kyonin
09-25-2019, 09:15 PM
Hi guys,

It's almost time to leave home. Sandy has been a little sad because it's the first time I leave home for these many days and to so far away lands... but she keeps her smile. She's been with me all day long.

The cats, as if they knew something is going on, had been extra playful with me.

And I am silent most of the time, observing how the thoughts come and go, and enjoying every single second at home.

Suitcase is done. Boarding pass and documents are at hand. The Way is calling and I follow.

Time to leave.

Gassho,

Kyonin
Sat/LAH

Shinshi
09-25-2019, 11:08 PM
Can't wait to follow along on Kyonin and Jundo's excellent adventure! :)

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

Jakuden
09-25-2019, 11:52 PM
Eee! So excited for you AND us! Safe travels big brother!

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

Byokan
09-26-2019, 06:01 AM
So Buddhas really can fly. [morehappy]

Gassho
Byōkan
sat + lah

Seishin
09-26-2019, 07:37 AM
Deep bows Kyonin, look forward to this weeks Zazenkai and news of your activities and travels.[monk]

Souchi
09-26-2019, 09:21 AM
Safe travels :encouragement:

Gassho
Souchi

SatToday

Jundo
09-26-2019, 01:15 PM
UPDATE: Kyonin's flight departed on time, and is on schedule, with (I assume) him in it! :)

A Koan: If time is a state of mind, and "there is no place to go," why do I have to be at Tokyo Airport at 8am? [monk]

Gassho, J

STLah

Shoki
09-26-2019, 01:20 PM
This is so great. Have a good trip. Send lots of pictures. We want pictures!!!

Gassho
STlah
James

Kotei
09-26-2019, 01:26 PM
UPDATE: Kyonin's flight departed on time, and is on schedule, with (I assume) him in it! :)

A Koan: If time is a state of mind, and "there is no place to go," which do I have to be at Tokyo Airport at 8am? [monk]

Gassho, J

STLah
That one is easy.
When you're there, it'll be here and now.
[twisted]
Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Shokai
09-26-2019, 03:33 PM
Here and now in the state of Euphoria :D [claps]

Gassho, Shokai
Stella

Getchi
09-27-2019, 06:53 AM

A Koan: If time is a state of mind, and "there is no place to go," which do I have to be at Tokyo Airport at 8am? [monk]

Gassho, J

STLah

Because no-one is arriving in a foreign country relying on your help, and so no-one is there to greet them at 8AM, lulz :)

Very interested (and grateful) to be included in this, pilgrimage is a universal need, and returning home means "something" new can be introduced in a new area.

Very happy to see an expansion of Dharma world-wide, and to see humans meeting humans in a way that can be an example to us all.

Gassho
Geoff.

SatToday
LaH.

Kyonin
09-27-2019, 10:09 AM
Hello from Japan!

After a long flight, sleep deprivation and a little hunger, I met Jundo at Narita Airport.

We came right home and then he gave me a tour around special and hidden Buddhist places near his home.

Little did I know that it was an evil plan to keep me awake until the night (to fight jeet lag, of course).

Here I share a couple of pictures.

More updates tomorow!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190927/2ce666ccc1cec0c45ba71bb73c0a6895.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190927/78b3e00bb07b3556c28fc578e58ecdbf.jpg

Enviado desde mi SNE-LX3 mediante Tapatalk

Ishin
09-27-2019, 10:13 AM
Following. That Buddha behind you seems a little difficult to hide.
Gassho
Ishin
Sat/lah

Horin
09-27-2019, 10:14 AM
Wonderful! I'm looking forward to see and read more.

Gassho

Ben

Stlah

Kendrick
09-27-2019, 10:38 AM
Very happy you arrived safely! :)

Gassho /\
Kendrick
Sat

Daiyo
09-27-2019, 11:31 AM
How nice seeing you together.
The expressions in your faces are joyful and peaceful.
Enjoy your time in Japan, dear Kyonin.

Thanks both for all the teachings and practice.

Gassho,
Daiyo

ST/LaH

Enviado desde mi Redmi 5 Plus mediante Tapatalk

Tai Do
09-27-2019, 01:34 PM
It is good to see you two together, Kyonin and Jundo.
Have a very good time in Japan, Kyonin. And don't forget the photos. [claps]
Gassho,
Mateus
Sat today/LAH

Jakuden
09-27-2019, 01:42 PM
Omigosh what a great picture to wake up to! [emoji4] And the non-adventure begins!
Gassho
Jakuden
SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Washin
09-27-2019, 02:07 PM
What a nice picture! I'm glad you both met. Have a lovely time in Japan!

Gassho
Washin
st-lah

Jundo
09-27-2019, 02:32 PM
Today, the plan was to keep Kyonin awake despite the jet lag. I have suggested that he try to awaken each day at 4am for the coming days, because the Antaiji Sesshin that he will sit next week will begin each morning from 4am, so he will be acclimated for that.

I also wanted to introduce Kyonin to some local Buddhist and other places that represent this part of Japan, old and new. beautiful and a little different. We were joined by Yaxkin, also a Mexican poet like Kyonin, and our regular member during our Treeleaf Zazenkais. You will see him here tomorrow, in fact.

After a Soba noodle lunch fix by my wife Mina at our house, we were off. Our first stop was the remains of a little temple in our neighborhood dedicated to Yakushi Nyorai, the medicine Buddha. In past centuries, the people living in our little village did not have access to modern doctors and hospitals. Sometimes praying to this Buddha was all they had.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6869&d=1604129672

Here is a little more about the Medicine Buddha ...

https://traditionalkyoto.com/culture/figures/healing-buddha/

After that, for a taste of the modern, our stop was KEK (High Energy Accelerator Research Organization) ... our particle collider (located a mere 10 minutes by car from Treeleaf) that has won several Nobel Prizes, mostly related to "symmetry breaking" (why there is more matter in the universe than anti-matter) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4pHdzLfBEM

After that, a drive into the countryside, about 40 minutes from here, to pay our respects to this 400 year old priest at a Tendai school temple, a Sokushinbutsu ( 即身仏), Buddhist priest who has been naturally mummified while sitting Zazen through the centuries. He died in 1686. The story goes that, about 100 years after his death, another priest at the temple had a dream in which this dead priest asked to be released from his tomb in order to continue to save the sentient beings. When they did so, they found him still sitting Zazen, and he has done so all these years. It is said that he was originally sitting with lovely posture but, through the centuries, has begun to lien forward.

https://pds.exblog.jp/pds/1/201711/06/20/e0345320_23435105.jpg

That is someone dedicated to Zazen!

Next, a little bit of local history ... The Ishege Miso Soup Incident ... inside a full size recreation of Ishge castle in the town next to ours, Ishige ...

https://pregamestraining.tokyo2020.jp/assets/img/module/upload/lg/camp/08_211_camp_5.jpg

... there is a wax recreation of the scene when the Lord of Ishige, Lord Toyoda, killed a rival Samurai ... not in the "Honorable" way that one thinks of regarding Japanese Samurai ... but by secretly poisoning his dinner guest's Miso soup!! The town seems actually proud of this act of cunning, so has a wax recreation of the scene showing the Samurai lord of Ishige holding his sword gallantly while the other fellow chokes on his soup at the dinner tray! ... The poisoned fellow on the right, realizing the the soup was amiss, has a knowing look in his eyes, reaches for his sword but, alas, the soup does him in ...

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/hyodo_shasin/imgs/3/2/32b6dca0-s.jpg

... to be continued ...

Ishin
09-27-2019, 03:54 PM
After a Soba noodle lunch fix by my wife Mina at our house, we were off. Our first stop was the remains of a little temple in our neighborhood dedicated to Yakushi Nyorai, the medicine Buddha. In past centuries, the people living in our little village did not have access to modern doctors and hospitals. Sometimes praying to this Buddha was all they had. Here is a little more about the Medicine Buddha ...

https://traditionalkyoto.com/culture/figures/healing-buddha/

Interesting Bodhisattva vows this Yakushi Nyorai, the medicine Buddha, had... especially about not coming back as a woman..[scared]

Gassho
Ishin
Sat Today/lah

sreed
09-27-2019, 05:00 PM
This warms my heart to see that picture of Kyonin and Jundo!
I'm smiling ear to ear. More photos!
-Sara
ST

Shōnin Risa Bear
09-27-2019, 07:42 PM

-Sara
ST

Indeed. gassho2

Gassho
Doyu sat today and LAH

Junkyo
09-27-2019, 08:23 PM
Very nice pictures! I am excited to follow along with your journey!

Gassho,

Junkyo
SAT

Kotei
09-28-2019, 08:43 AM
I'm smiling ear to ear. More photos!
-Sara
ST
[claps]
Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Ippo
09-28-2019, 12:36 PM
Thank you so much Jundo and Kyonin for sharing this! Kyonin, it must be a little surreal actually going to meet in person?

Gassho,

Brad

SatToday

Jundo
09-28-2019, 02:23 PM
Next, we visited a local war memorial that is said to contain actual ashes of the Buddha.

The Burmese style Buddhist pagoda stands almost hidden next to a river in our neighboring town. It is a memorial to the dozens and dozens of men just from this town and surrounding towns who died in WW2 in places like the Philippines, China and, most especially, Burma. The President of Burma, in conjunction with a famous temple there, donated what are said to be ashes of the Buddha for internment in this Pagoda. We paid our respects.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7101&d=1622702980

Finally, on Kyonin's first day, we visiting a Sri Lankan Theravadan temple built in a Japanese farmhouse a short drive from Treeleaf Tsukuba. Most notably is the the large seated Buddha in South Asian style built there, and the Sri Lankan monks who are very friendly to visitors, inviting us to offer incense.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7102&d=1622703070

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Myogan
09-28-2019, 02:49 PM
From Jundo’s first post

and eating some weird stuff to challenge his gut

I’m not sure your wife would appreciate her soba noodles to be included in this. :p

Gassho
Sat

Kyonin
09-28-2019, 02:54 PM
Hello guys!

Today we had our monthly zazenkai. I hope you come and sit with us.

After tea and rice crackers we went to the Jaxa museum to see some rocket ships and some satellites. Afterwards we went to have lunch and then off to the giant Buddhs of Tsukuba!

It was a humbling experience because it's not an everyday thing you get to see such a magnificent monument.

Inside the Daibutsu there is a museum with some teachings about Pure Land Buddhism and a little museum with the story of the statue.

Tomorrow we will go to Tokyo and then I am off for sesshin at Antaji.

I guess I won't be posting for about 5 days. Wish me luck!

Gassho,

Kyonin

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190928/626433296de1a1ee20dfa19c58f47214.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190928/6aa24839613639487d6d06ae0478ff1f.jpg

Ishin
09-28-2019, 03:02 PM
I hope your experience is very enriching even though you’ll end up with nothing. Great pictures!
Gassho
Ishin
Sat/lah

Kendrick
09-28-2019, 03:14 PM
Wonderful photos! Thank you for posting more of them and more of your travels. /\ Jundo is giving you a great tour! Good luck with your sesshin!

Gassho
Kendrick
Sat/LAH

Jundo
09-28-2019, 03:16 PM
Kyonin, you have to post the photo of you in the cut-out Buddha body, and the one I took lying on my back ...

After that, you forgot to mention how we got naked and sat in hot water.

Gassho, J

STLah

Washin
09-28-2019, 04:03 PM
Nice photos! Thank you Kyonin and Jundo. Loooking forward to some more..
Have a great time at sesshin in Antaiji!

Gassho,
Washin
sat/lah

Kokuu
09-28-2019, 04:12 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...78e58ecdbf.jpg

I don't think I have ever seen a picture of the outside of Treeleaf in the light before!

Great to hear about your travels together!

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday/lah-

Jinyo
09-28-2019, 05:52 PM
WONDERFUL - enjoy the experience Kyonin. Thank you for sharing :)

Gassho

Jinyo

Sat today

Shokai
09-28-2019, 06:01 PM
Wonderful start to your Pilgrimage. Best wishes for your week at Antaiji and then On to Kyoto.

gassho, Shokai
stlah

Seishin
09-28-2019, 06:13 PM
[claps]gassho2[claps]
:buddha:

Shinshi
09-28-2019, 06:21 PM
Thank you for sharing your journey Kyonin. The pictures are fantastic. Have a great sesshin at Antaji. Best of luck to you!

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

Kyonin
09-28-2019, 08:40 PM
Kyonin, you have to post the photo of you in the cut-out Buddha body, and the one I took lying on my back ...

After that, you forgot to mention how we got naked and sat in hot water.

Gassho, J

STLahOh yes yes!

Sorry, last night I asnt thinking straight. I am still struggling with jet lag.

But here's the picture!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190928/34df9f7aafda910d41d36f483e76b16c.jpg

Kyonin
09-28-2019, 08:46 PM
Hi guys,

I want to also share a little of what's inside Daibutsu.

It turns out it is a nice museum with the theme of ascending towards the Pure Land. And there is also a lot of information on how this huge statue came to be.

On one of the pictures you can see me standing next to a toe of the Buddha. It's really big! The statue is taller than the Statue of Liberty!

And then there is a golden hall with a thousand statues of Amida Buddha... Some of them have the name of the person who sponsored the construction and maintenance of the whole park.

OK then. Today we will off to Tokyo and in the night I'll take the bus to ge me to Antaiji. I'll be off the air for about 5 days. I'll see you all soon!

Gassho,

Kyoninhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190928/8201dc3d62d8603d3d32ba02b1b84472.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190928/6cb4cc2e2b8a0a54f8c4ea1ac4e5dca4.jpg

Meitou
09-28-2019, 09:13 PM
Amazing photos and I just love seeing you two guys together, it made my heart burst with happiness to know that you are there Kyonin and having this wonderful experience. Wishing you all good things at Antaiji, I'll be sitting with you every day in that beautiful temple.
Gassho
Meitou
sattodaylah

Jakuden
09-28-2019, 10:33 PM
Oh yes yes!

Sorry, last night I asnt thinking straight. I am still struggling with jet lag.

But here's the picture!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190928/34df9f7aafda910d41d36f483e76b16c.jpg

Haha this is awesome Kyonin, I think you should make it your Avatar here for awhile [morehappy]

Loving the pictures. Enjoy your Antaiji experience!

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

Geika
09-28-2019, 11:00 PM
Take care in Antaiji, I look forward to hearing about it!

Gassho

Sat today, lah

Getchi
09-29-2019, 12:39 AM
Thankyou for sharing these photos Kyonin, and to you Jundo for hosting us all!

Gassho
Geoff.

SatToday
LaH.

sjlabat
09-29-2019, 07:00 PM
Wow,
this is really neat stuff! Hope I can make it to Japan someday....
gassho
sean
sat, lah

Onka
09-29-2019, 10:29 PM
Hi guys,

I want to also share a little of what's inside Daibutsu.

It turns out it is a nice museum with the theme of ascending towards the Pure Land. And there is also a lot of information on how this huge statue came to be.

On one of the pictures you can see me standing next to a toe of the Buddha. It's really big! The statue is taller than the Statue of Liberty!

And then there is a golden hall with a thousand statues of Amida Buddha... Some of them have the name of the person who sponsored the construction and maintenance of the whole park.

OK then. Today we will off to Tokyo and in the night I'll take the bus to ge me to Antaiji. I'll be off the air for about 5 days. I'll see you all soon!

Gassho,

Kyoninhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190928/8201dc3d62d8603d3d32ba02b1b84472.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190928/6cb4cc2e2b8a0a54f8c4ea1ac4e5dca4.jpg

If that's Buddha's toe, imagine how big his...
Oh never mind lol

Gassho
Anna

Sat today

Jundo
09-29-2019, 11:16 PM
If that's Buddha's toe, imagine how big his...
Oh never mind lol

Gassho
Anna

Sat today

The physical characteristics of a Buddha ... Please remember that the following is written by a most respected western born Theravadan monk and translator, Ven. Sujato

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/the-politics-of-the-buddha-s-genitals/4876

Gassho, J

STLah

Shoki
09-29-2019, 11:55 PM
Kyonin,
Sounds like you're having the trip of a lifetime. Thanks to you and Jundo for sharing.

Gassho
STLah
James

Jundo
09-30-2019, 12:22 AM
Sunday, Kyonin and my day began early, with a visit to see Sumo at the National Sports Championships which happen to be going on this week here in Ibaraki Prefecture by good fortune. While Sumo may seem like a sporting event, it is actually also a religious event filled with Shinto symbolism, so I can consider it part of Kyonin's exposure to Japanese religious values as well. The Japanese wrestlers are said to be filled with the spirit of the gods, and the ring is made as a small Shinto shrine. (Traditionally, women are not allowed to enter the precincts of the ring for being "impure." Sorry for that. :( ). The grand champions are considered living gods. In this case, though, we were seeing the national finals of high school teams. Even so, some of those kids were American football size HUGE (Kyonin will send some photos shortly ... he is just on the bus to the other side of Japan now). Here is an example of what high school Sumo looks like, a bit simpler in the costumes with the judge dressed more like a boxing referee than in the fancy robes you might know ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48L_uwDW3zE

After that, I sped him off to a rare demonstration of a fire walking ceremony by Yamabushi (山伏), wild mountain monks who practice "Shugen-do" (修験道 ... the way of self-trials and verification) associated with the esoteric Shingon Buddhist sect. This ceremony happened to be held at a temple right in central Tokyo though. More about the Yamabushi here ...

Shugen-dō, a Japanese religious tradition combining folk beliefs with indigenous Shintō and Buddhism, to which have been added elements of Chinese religious Taoism. The Shugen-dō practitioner, the yamabushi (literally, “one who bows down in the mountains”), engages in spiritual and physical disciplines in order to attain magical power effective against evil spirits. Mountains, considered in folk religions “other worlds,” were for the esoteric Buddhists training grounds for ascetics. ... Shugen-dō flourished during the Heian period (AD 794–1185) and allied itself with the esoteric schools of Buddhism, Tendai, and Shingon. As a “mountain religion,” Shugen-dō emphasized pilgrimages and retreats to sacred mountains. The yamabushi served as guides for pilgrims visiting Yoshino and Kumano, sacred mountains inhabited by Shintō kami (sacred power or gods). In this way the yamabushi helped the spread of Buddhism through northern Japan. Many Buddhist priests belonging to esoteric traditions regularly spent some time in mountain retreats developing yamabushi techniques ...

Here is an example of the kind of fire walking ceremony that we saw, the highlights of which include the monks splashing themselves with boiling water, and dashing through the bonfires ...

https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/a91e4c929de97e9d6a38d23f9a940c0f/5E03D64C/t51.2885-15/sh0.08/e35/s640x640/41783466_506787433121001_1047387904693608212_n.jpg ?_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=109

Worth watching ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2b7IWDJbas

Kids, don't try this at home. However, Kyonin and I spoke of making it a regular part of our rituals at Treeleaf. (Just kidding.) Once things had cooled down a bit, Kyonin and I were led by the monks to walk through the remaining embers and ashes.

Next, a couple of hours in Akihabara to visit the new Japanese "religion" of electronics and anime at some of the Otaku Meccas. (Otaku: I would define this as someone whose love and religion is pop culture) ...

https://youtu.be/Qvk96SCvaCo

After that, I led Kyonin to a festival of Mikoshi, the Shinto custom of taking the local gods for a walk around the neighborhood in incredibly heavy shrines carried by men and women (often themselves filled with the "Sake" spirits of the gods) in a frenzy. The teams of carriers usually come from local businesses and associations, but that very often includes among them the local Yakuza (Japanese mafia) equally drunk and raucous. This year, after some violence in the past when various Yakuza got a little too frenzied and raucous (as seen in the below video), the organizers of the festival seemed to keep better control, but the raucous remained. Take a peak at this for a minute ...

https://youtu.be/c4uG2i3xyU8

The festival closed with some Okinawan drumming like this ... Kyonin and I dancing in the streets ...

The group we saw, Shoryu Matsuri Daiko 昇龍祭太鼓, is noted for combining drumming with Karate forms ..

https://youtu.be/j_s2yTLsBfo

Okinawan Shoryu Karate is based on Chinese Shorin ... Shaolin ... Karate, which is the form said to be taught by the Zen priests of Shaolin Monastery.

And then I put Kyonin on the overnight bus, and sent him on his way to the other side of Japan ... and a week of Sesshin ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Jundo
09-30-2019, 01:10 AM
Kyonin just wrote that he is in Hamasaka, a little fishing and beach town on the coast of Japan where he is supposed to catch the bus for Antaiji, which is one hour up a dirt trail into the mountains from where he will get off the bus. He just sent a couple of photos from yesterday ...

This is Kyonin at one of the festivals I dragged him to yesterday, where the neighborhood folks dress up in period costumes from the Samurai times, as Geisha and such. This fellow in in the dress of a "Sohei" (僧兵), a warrior-monk who was part of the violent militias that some Buddhist monasteries ... mostly Tendai and Shingon ... kept when some forms of Buddhism became very political in Japan 1000 years ago. Armies of these fellows would march out of the monastery to threaten and burn when things did not go the monastery's way. Not the high point of Japanese Buddhism, if you ask me, but it was so.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6063&d=1569881502

Here is a scene from the movie biopic of Dogen in which the Sohei march out to chase Dogen out of the capital ... (40:30 mark here) ...

https://youtu.be/Q6XS3_D92FY?t=2429

The town where Kyonin is now, waiting for the bus, is a little hamlet famous for its beach ... almost looks like Hawaii! ...

http://visit.shinonsen.com/upimg/edc2a27be5f6c3b5bf4b3175c2b79fed/1000x1000.jpg

... and their free hot spring foot baths.

http://discovertajima.com/upimg/6873b0e8dc901a05bd95a2fc8361b134/720x720.jpg

Kyonin has all of three hours there this morning to enjoy the beach and foot baths before getting on the bus heading for the mountain.

Gassho, J

STLah

Jundo
09-30-2019, 01:25 AM
Today, and for the coming week, Kyonin is off to Antaiji, the root temple of Koda Sawaki Roshi and Uchiyama Roshi (although it was located in Kyoto in their day, and was moved out to the mountains later.) Antaiji is unusual in being presided over by a foreign born monk fully training in the Japanese way, German born Muhō Nölke. Muho was a guest teacher here at Treeleaf awhile back ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?13140-Our-Special-Zazenkai-Talk-with-Abbot-Mujo-of-Antaiji-is-Here%21-Please-Sit-A-Long%21

Muho runs a tight ship, and Antaiji Sesshin are famous for the amount of sitting they do ... almost no ceremonies, no Dharma Talks ... just 15 hours a day of sitting for 45 minutes at a time, 5 hours back to back with a few minutes of Kinhin, meals and sleep. That's it. Here is what the sitting schedule looks like ...

4am to 9am Zazen
9am Breakfast
10am to 3pm Zazen
3pm Lunch
4pm to 9pm Zazen
9pm Lights out

The zazen periods are interrupted by 15 minute intervals of kinhin (walking Zen) every full hour. The sesshin ends at 3pm on the last day. During sesshin no talk is allowed.

Communication is important in a community where the 24 hours of the day are practiced all together. Even if you do not speak Japanese, try to listen to the others very carefully with your heart. Do not expect everyone to understand your English.

Everyone will perform the same activities during the day, including zazen, cleaning, work, meals, bath, in the same way, so watch what the others do and try to fit in harmoniously. You are not supposed to create a schedule of your own.

During breaks or on free days you might be expected to help in the kitchen or do other jobs around the temple.

Remember, Zazen is not about time or quantity, not long and not short. Thus, sometimes we sit short, for a moment, sometimes for some minutes or hours ... and sometimes long and for days. Now is Kyonin's time to sit LOOOONG! Kyonin will be fine, and has the capacity of body and mind ... but let us all offer a little Metta for his knees.

If you would like to see a little film about their simple life at Antaiji, where they try to do most of their food growing, building and maintaining themselves ... all aspects of Zazen ...

https://youtu.be/BW31YyMeoio

We are very fortunate that Muho made an exception for Kyonin, because he usually only allows folks to come with a three year commitment to stay (there are only a couple of time a year that people might come for a shorter period). He bent his rules for us, so I am truly grateful.

Gassho, J

STLah

Ishin
09-30-2019, 01:28 AM
This is all great to see. Thanks so much for sharing.
Gassho
Ishin
Sat/lah

Jundo
09-30-2019, 10:06 PM
Judging by the silence, Kyonin has certainly arrived at Antaiji and risen before the sun to begin Sesshin.

Their Sesshin is held in silence, so we will not hear from him, of course. However, we can hear him in heart, and are sitting with him at his side for the coming days.

Gassho, J

STLah

Zazen at Antaiji ...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/98/66/33/986633f0ab383e2e1dd78991364c0a81.jpg

Kendrick
09-30-2019, 10:17 PM
Thank you for such content packed posts for us, Jundo! Metta to Kyonin as well. /\

Gassho
Kendrick
Sat/lah

Jakuden
10-01-2019, 01:03 AM
Judging by the silence, Kyonin has certainly arrived at Antaiji and risen before the sun to begin Sesshin.

Their Sesshin is held in silence, so we will not hear from him, of course. However, we can hear him in heart, and are sitting with him at his side for the coming days.

Gassho, J

STLah

Zazen at Antaiji ...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/98/66/33/986633f0ab383e2e1dd78991364c0a81.jpg

Oh what a joyful thought, I think when I finish here I will light some incense and sit with him before I go to bed--as he is probably now sitting tomorrow morning! [monk]

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

Science Abbot
10-01-2019, 07:34 AM
This definitely sounds like an enjoyable, interesting and productive journey. Be well!

Gassho,
Mui
Sat/LAH

Onka
10-01-2019, 09:15 AM
These updates are awesome Jundo. Thank you for helping us follow Kyonin's journey. The fire walking ceremony pictures remind me of a group of us old bushies, hillbillies, hippies and 'horse people' (Shinshi knows what Cutting and Camp drafting 'horse people' are like lol) attacking a bushfire with wet hessian bags a bunch of weeks back haha.
I'd love to do a Sesshin like Kyonin is undertaking but I am acutely aware of my limitations, both physically and mentally so it is with the deepest bows I can muster that I wish him well and offer Metta for his knees, arse, back, neck and whatever other else may not appreciate sitting for a week.
Again, thanks for the updates.
Gassho
Anna

stlah

Gukan
10-01-2019, 12:01 PM
Next, we visited a local war memorial that is said to contain actual ashes of the Buddha.

The Burmese style Buddhist pagoda stands almost hidden next to a river in our neighboring town. It is a memorial to the dozens and dozens of men just from this town and surrounding towns who died in WW2 in places like the Philippines, China and, most especially, Burma. The President of Burma, in conjunction with a famous temple there, donated what are said to be ashes of the Buddha for internment in this Pagoda. We paid our respects.

Finally, on Kyonin's first day, we visiting a Sri Lankan Theravadan temple built in a Japanese farmhouse a short drive from Treeleaf Tsukuba. Most notably is the the large seated Buddha in South Asian style built there, and the Sri Lankan monks who are very friendly to visitors, inviting us to offer incense.

It makes me really happy to discover there is a Burmese and a Sri Lankan presence so close to Treeleaf. My first face-to-face introduction to Buddhism long ago came via our local Burmese vihara. I had a great deal of good teaching from the monks there. We also have a Sri Lankan temple down the road with a slightly larger local community and I took my children there several times for festivals and celebrations as they always had such a lively and cosmopolitan crowd (not to mention really good food!) :)

How lovely to see the diversity of the dharma reflected there too. And what a fabulous and joyful thread this is!

Deep bows to you both, Kyonin and Jundo.

Gassho,
Libby
ST

Seishin
10-01-2019, 03:21 PM
Thank you for the updates and photo's Jundo. I will be thinking of Kyonin this week when sitting for 30 and 15 minutes each day. I too will light incense and offer metta to his knees. [monk]

Meitou
10-02-2019, 10:26 PM
I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying this thread, I love all the photos and information that you're giving us Jundo, it's almost as good as being there. But only almost! Thanks so much for keeping us all up to date.

I have been thinking about the video of Antaiji all day, I really liked Muho Noelke and found his description of his struggle with sitting for long periods very inspiring. My personal feeling is that Kyonin will really enjoy this experience, even so, I too am sitting with him and saying Metta for his knees and back.

Gassho
Meitou
sattodaylah

Onka
10-03-2019, 07:57 AM
I've just watched a couple of videos from Antai ji including this one. I'm even more thrilled for Kyonin considering Muho's announcement. It's pretty cool though that a woman will be taking over the the running of the Temple.
https://youtu.be/1Ut_KNo6Sfc

I'm in my first year of practice. Looks like I've got to keep up my Samu practice in order to make it to 80 years of age for my 10 years plus 10 years plus 10 years. Oh dear...

Gassho
Anna

STLAH

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk

Jundo
10-05-2019, 11:41 AM
Kyonin has complete Sesshin at Antaiji.

Thank you, Kyonin, for your sitting. gassho2

I will be getting on the overnight bus in a couple of hours, joining Kyonin who will meet me in Kyoto tomorrow.

Gassho, J

STLah

Tai Shi
10-05-2019, 12:21 PM
Very happy, indeed, for your travels through Japan, and your initiation to Japanese culture. Our daughter has spent nearly five years in Japan, four years teaching English in both private and public schools, then doing research for her MFA in literary translation. Soon she will return as a PhD candidate in Japanese literature through Washington University, St. Louis. I must admit I am truly envious of such a beautiful trip Kyonin. You have a great friend in Jundo as teacher on a similar path, and tour guide. My wife visited daughter about four years ago, and because of health I will never make such a beautiful trip, and as my allowance would never allow such a trip. I wish you well Kyonin in all that you do.
Tai Shi
deep bows
sat/lah
Gassho

Nenka
10-05-2019, 02:15 PM
Anna, thanks for posting that video. Now I really understand how awesome it is that Kyonin was allowed to come practice for so short a time.

Gassho

Jen

ST

Onka
10-05-2019, 11:58 PM
Anna, thanks for posting that video. Now I really understand how awesome it is that Kyonin was allowed to come practice for so short a time.

Gassho

Jen

STYou are very welcome :)

Kyonin
10-06-2019, 03:06 AM
Hi guys! I am writing this from my phone while riding the train bound for Kyoto. Please forget the typos and misspellings. I can't type too much with this gorilla fingers of mine on the Android keyboard.

First of all I have to express my gratitude to Muho and all the people of Antaiji. They were super kind, patient and willing to admit a total stranger to their family. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

So I am out from Antaiji after a 5 day Sesshin with Muho and his merry band of mountain monks. And oh boy they are hardcore! For 5 days it was all silence. No one was allowed to speak. And they have this perfect and elegant dance of rules for everything. From sitting on the zafu to brushing your teeth, attention to detail and form is a must if you don't want to meet an angry Muho face.

Sesshin consist of 15 zazen sessions of 50 minutes each, with a 10 minutes kinhin. You can go to the bathroom during those 10 minutes. Yes, 15 sessions. You begin at 4 Am and go to bed at 9 Pm. Breakfast is always oryoki and lunch is a little more “relaxed”. Then off to clean up everything and to keep on sitting.

The night before Sesshin, Muho offered a talk that resonated with me. He said “When sitting Sesshind, you die on the zafu”. If we assume the illusion of self is already there, then you stop fighting and resisting. To me, with that súper fat ego I carry everywhere, was an important teaching. So I tried hard to die in the zafu. And I mostly failed!!

I realized that my mind wasn't struggling at all with the idea of sitting. It was my knees and some tight muscles. By day 2 I was really in pain. I was lucky that Muho understood that I needed an extra cushion because of my height. I am 186cm/6.1 in tall but he is taller.

Don't tell Jundo, but I had had to stop sitting in half lotus position and just did crossleg because of the pain.

My other important teaching is: ego is a big obstacle for whatever you want to do in Buddhism. It's true that ego is what brings us to this practice, but at some point we have to let go so we can walk the bodhisattva path.

And to remain silent and still is a must.

Like I said I am now going for Kyoto. I'll keep you guys posted on our adventures there.

Look at me, writing a full essay on the phone. Sorry for the super long post.

PS. And the food in Antaiji. Oh man. Every single thing I tasted was delicious. Tenzo is a Master!

On the pictures you can see my room, one of the halls and the oryoki table.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191006/d86e58451486b31cf70cb053e53f5f76.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191006/7a7359ff6fe8184a3eaa7f6a9f36cba0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191006/abf93d9c1d2b35390c5a2f7b96a07202.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191006/0ceea26854131478770b3981edaea83c.jpg

Onka
10-06-2019, 04:40 AM
Gassho
Anna

stlah

Washin
10-06-2019, 06:22 AM
Thank you, Kyonin, for sharing this wonderful though tough experience of yours gassho2
And for the beautiful photos too.

Gassho
Washin
ST

Kotei
10-06-2019, 07:14 AM
gassho1

Kotei sat/lah today.

Jakuden
10-06-2019, 12:16 PM
Wow! Just wonderful. Deep bows, Kyonin. It will be difficult to not want to add “I Sat Sesshin at Antaiji” to your ego dialogue [emoji4] At least I know it would be for me. Thanks for writing.

A note for Spanish speakers: if you follow “@chocobuda” on Twitter, there are more photos and links to videos of Kyonin’s experiences! I can’t understand most of it, but it’s cool anyway.

Gassho
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

Kokuu
10-06-2019, 12:29 PM
Sesshin consist of 15 zazen sessions of 50 minutes each, with a 10 minutes kinhin. You can go to the bathroom during those 10 minutes. Yes, 15 sessions.

That is hardcore!!!!

Great pictures, Kyonin. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday/lah-

Tairin
10-06-2019, 01:38 PM
Wonderful! Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

I am with Jakuden. There needs to be an “I sat Sesshin at Antaiji” tshirt. [monk]

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Kevin M
10-06-2019, 01:54 PM
A note for Spanish speakers: if you follow “@chocobuda” on Twitter, there are more photos and links to videos of Kyonin’s experiences! I can’t understand most of it, but it’s cool anyway.

Cool.

Also
http://www.budismosotozen.org

There's a Chocobuda link on the header menu to Kyonin's blog as well.

Gassho
Kevin
Sat

Shoki
10-06-2019, 02:13 PM
Deep bows and thanks for sharing this Kyonin.

Gassho
Sat Today (for a mere 25 minutes)
lah
James

Nenka
10-06-2019, 03:36 PM
Wow. Just wow!

Gassho

Nenka

ST

Jundo
10-06-2019, 04:33 PM
Just a word on our visits today as Kyonin recovers from Antaiji ...

Our first pilgrimage was to a hall that is the most moving place l have ever visited in Japan, a world treasure I believe. 1001 life-size statues of Kannon Bodhisattva fill a single hall, each statue the same yet, on close examination, each with its slightly different facial features and personality. The oldest are from the Kamakura period, and the main image happens to have been created in the same year of Dogen's death (although it is not a Zen temple, but Tendai). It is called the Sanjusangendo ...

Kyoto's spectacular Sanjusangendo Temple, established in the twelfth century, houses 1001 carved wooden statues of Kannon set in ranks in the main hall: 500, in ten rows of 50, on each side of the seated figure of Senju Kannon. Sanjusangendo is the only such Sentai Kannon-do (one thousand-Kannon hall) left in existence. The 1001 images are around 167cm tall and were made using a technique called yosegi, which allowed a number of craftsmen to work on one statue

https://jw-webmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/jw-5d146fd73c22b8.41520444.jpeghttps://d3bbatwdaufxg9.cloudfront.net/content/9114/6070/0809/2273e8143a6aae630bc6b1593bd523b4.jpg

It is meant to express the power and presence of Kannon. And in a like fashion, Kyonin and l then paid our visit to a modern effort to do the same, the Android Kannon. Some people have difficulty to relate to this Kannon of metal and silicone, but Kyonin and i both agreed that it is much more impressive in person, and succeeeds in conveying a powerful message on the meaning of "non-self" (the topic of the Dharma talk that it offered ...

https://youtu.be/mJDf1GXaF-w

A robot modeled after Kannon Bodhisattva and designed to explain the teachings of Buddha in plain terms was unveiled to the media at Kodaiji Temple in the city of Kyoto on Saturday.

In a dimly lit hall of the temple, the robot — named Mindar — gave a speech on the Heart Sutra and humanity with English and Chinese subtitles projected on the wall as music played in the background.

“If an image of Buddha speaks, teachings of Buddhism will probably be easier to understand,” said Tensho Goto, the chief steward of the temple in Kyoto’s Higashiyama Ward, during a news conference. “We want many people to come to see (the robot) to think about the essence of Buddhism.”

Another official linked to the temple expressed hope that the robot will “help people who usually have little connection with Buddhism to take an interest” in the religion.

More tomorrow ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Seishin
10-06-2019, 06:01 PM
Deep bows Kyonin. Thank for the update, photos and your practice. [monk]

Sat

Onkai
10-06-2019, 07:35 PM
Thank you, Kyonin and Jundo, for sharing the events of Kyonin's trip and the photos. I look forward to the coming updates.

Gassho,
Onkai
Sat/LAH

Nengei
10-06-2019, 09:20 PM
What a privilege it has been to follow your journey through this pilgrimage, Kyonin. gassho2

Gassho,
Nengei
Sat. LAH.

Onka
10-06-2019, 10:07 PM
Cool.

Also

Gassho
Kevin
SatThanks for the link Kevin. It's a terrific site to check out thanks to the Google gods of translation.
I'm no longer on any social media but thanks for the Twitter link Jakuden.

What a magnificent experience for us all that our beloved comrade Kyonin was able to practice at Antai ji before Muho retires.

Gassho
Anna

stlah

Onka
10-06-2019, 10:14 PM
Just a word on our visits today as Kyonin recovers from Antaiji ...

Our first pilgrimage was to a hall that is the most moving place l have ever visited in Japan, a world treasure I believe. 1001 statues of Kannon Bodhisattva fill a single hall, each statue the same yet, on close examination, each with its slightly different facial features and personality. The oldest are from the Kamakura period, and the main image happens to have been created in the same year of Dogen's death (although it is not a Zen temple, but Tendai). It is called the Sanjusangendo ...

https://jw-webmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/jw-5d146fd73c22b8.41520444.jpeghttps://d3bbatwdaufxg9.cloudfront.net/content/9114/6070/0809/2273e8143a6aae630bc6b1593bd523b4.jpg

It is meant to express the power and presence of Kannon. And in a like fashion, Kyonin and l then paid our visit to a modern effort to do the same, the Android Kannon. Some people have difficulty to relate to this Kannon of metal and silicone, but Kyonin and i both agreed that it is much more impressive in person, and succeeeds in conveying a powerful message one the meaning of "non-self" (the topic of the Dharma talk that it offered ...

https://youtu.be/mJDf1GXaF-w

More tomorrow ...

Gassho, J

STLahI'd get sensory overload looking at all those Bodhisattvas. I went to the Keukenhof gardens in Holland and experienced sensory overload after looking at all the tulip fields. I had to sit down and close my eyes for a bit to feel ok again.
https://www.holland.com/global/tourism/plan-your-holiday/events/keukenhof.htm
Gassho
Anna

stlah

Jundo
10-07-2019, 02:05 PM
Hi All,

A photo from yesterday of Kyonin with Android Kannon. Kyonin is the one on the right.

Today began with a visit to Kenninji, a most important temple in the history of Zen in Japan, including Soto Zen. Although a Tendai Buddhist temple, it was one of the first temples in Japan to introduce serious Zen Rinzai training as part of their practices. Also, Master Dogen lived and practiced at Kenninji for many years in their Rinzai ways before heading to China, and introducing the Soto Zen ways to Japan.

Here is a little peek at the beautiful gardens of Kenninji ...

https://youtu.be/NMd7qU8BJ5c

While at Kenninji, Kyonin and i were able to pursue the wonderful practice of Shakyo, or Sutra Copying. Here is a picture showing how it is done. Basically, tracing paper is placed over a copy of the Heart Sutra so that even someone who cannot write Japanese can trace the beautiful Chinese characters closely. Kyonin, it turns out, has studied western calligraphy, so even though he does not read Japanese, his Kanji were truly elegant. He just has a natural feel for the brush. it took us about 2 hours to copy the characters of the Heart Sutra.

https://www.kenninji.jp/experience/img/syakyo_photo01.jpg

After that, we moved on to the famous sand garden of Ryoanji, which is a Rinzai monastery. However, as beautiful as is Ryoanji and its gardens, i must confess that the sand gardens of Kenninji and some other temples may be even more captivating. You can see Kenninji's sand gardens in the above video and judge for yourself.

https://www.japanvisitor.com/images/content_images/ryoanjitemple20181.jpg

After that, we walked for about an hour to the famous Rinzai university, Hanazono, which holds a weekly Zazenkai in their Zendo on campus. Alas, the priest there told me that almost none of the 1000 students in the university come to Zazen, and that most of the participants are middle aged and older Japanese folks from the university and surrounding community. They have an amazing hall that can sit a couple of hundred people (although Zazen was lightly attended), and the priest carries to long Rinzai style "keisaku" wake up stick. He used it on Kyonin and me at our request, but lightly. (Kyonin told me that Muho, at the Antaiji session, carries a Rinzai style stick and uses it much harder).

http://why.kyoto/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/DSC_0061.jpeg

Finally, here is a picture of the "rooms" where Kyonin and I stayed. Actually, not "rooms," bacause I found us two "boxes" (that is the only way to describe them ... wooden boxes with a curtain on one side), barely big enough to stretch out and sit up. However at the equivalent of U.S. $18 a night, a bargain. Showers and toilet down the hall, our boxes were clean and cozy. I would not say that they were the same as a modern Japanese "capsule," because they were actual boxes or crates (coffins?) in a 200 year old Japanese inn that looks like it could be the location for a samurai movie. Here are Kyonin's toes in his box.

And that's the news.

Gassho, J

SatodayLah

Ishin
10-07-2019, 04:52 PM
Kyonin, I am so glad you had this experience and, in my opinion, you are even more hardcore than Metallica!

Thanks to you and Jundo for all these writing and pictures, it's wonderful to be following your footsteps.

Gassho
Ishin
Sat/lah

Shinshi
10-07-2019, 06:05 PM
Thank you for sharing so much of the experience. It all looks amazing!

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

Kokuu
10-07-2019, 06:43 PM
Wonderful! Thank you for all of the updates!

The Sanjusangendo is incredible.

I have been sitting with the online broadcast from Sokukoji in Michigan some days and they are doing sutra copying after their morning service and sit. The teacher, Sokuzan, was taught by Chogyam Trungpa as well as a Soto teacher so I wasn't sure which it came from.

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday/lah-

Geika
10-07-2019, 09:01 PM
I am so happy for you, Kyonin. Congratulations on sitting at Antaiji! I have heard that it is one of the more rigorous sesshins! I am so happy that you are both having a great time, and getting so much in! Kyonin will probably sleep for three days when he gets home...

Gassho

Sat today, lah

Doshin
10-07-2019, 10:31 PM
gassho2

Happy for You

Doshin
St

Seishin
10-07-2019, 10:42 PM
Kenninji looks so peaceful, thank you for sharing. [monk]

Sat

Jundo
10-07-2019, 11:01 PM
Kenninji looks so peaceful, thank you for sharing. [monk]

Sat

Well, frankly, it was a little less peaceful outwardly (inward is always the same) because of the bus loads of tourists, mostly from China but really all languages heard. I must say that, compared to my last visit quite a few years ago, Kyoto is rather overrun with tourists. Some places of quiet reflection and elegance are starting to look like New York's Times Square.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Cover-Story/Japan-gets-more-than-it-bargained-for-with-tourist-boom

TOKYO/KYOTO -- Yuko Kato, a 50-year-old housewife, was raised in Kyoto and has lived there all her life. Going to the 1,300-year-old Nishiki Market, known as "Kyoto's Kitchen," to buy fish, pickles and seasonings used to be a weekly habit for her, but that has changed over the past five years.

These days, the traditional retail market, which covers five blocks of narrow laneways lined with shops, is overrun by foreign tourists, many of them eating skewered shrimp and other local delicacies as they stroll, making it difficult for daily shoppers to go about their business. Posters saying "No Eating While Walking" are pasted everywhere, but are largely ignored. ... The surge in foreign visitors to Japan reflects a gradual easing of travel visa requirements since 2013 for countries including Thailand, the Philippines and China; growth in the number of budget airlines in Asia; and a depreciation in the yen, all of which have made Japan one of the most popular destinations in the region. According to a survey by the city, 7.4 million foreign guests traveled to Kyoto in 2017, a more than fivefold increase from 2012. Including domestic tourists, the city hosted 53.6 million visitors in 2017, dwarfing its population of 1.5 million. ... Joanna, a 29-year-old tourist from the U.K., was astonished when she visited the Fushimi Inari shrine with her boyfriend and saw it packed with tourists taking selfies in front of its thousands of statuesque vermilion gates. "Although we wanted to go see the forest at the end of the gates, we decided not to go. We just couldn't walk because of the crowds," she says.

However, the heart can remain quiet, empty and elegant. [gassholook]

Gassho, J STLah

Onka
10-07-2019, 11:45 PM
These updates injected with a Dad joke or two are terrific.
Thank you Jundo and Kyonin for sharing.
Gassho
Anna

ST

Jundo
10-08-2019, 04:29 PM
Well, a killer typhoon is heading to Japan this weekend. It should not stop Kyonin's plans to sit for a day at Eiheiji, but travel might get a little dicey comimg back from there to Tsukuba ...

https://cdn.japantimes.2xx.jp/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/n-typhoon-a-20191009-870x489.jpg

For today, a little rain. We first visited the Shogun's castle in Kyoto for a little history lesson for Kyonin. Here is a recreation of an audience of lords with the great Shogen in the actual chambers.

https://www.kyoto-museums.jp/en/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/main_115.jpg

Then, off to the Byodoin, one of the very early Buddhist temples in Japan. It is a world heritage site, so beautiful that it is featured on the Japanese 10 Yen coin. The structure is one of the few surviving from Japan's Heian period, around the year 1000.

https://a2.cdn.japantravel.com/photo/5243-187218/1440x960!/kyoto-h%C5%8D-%C5%8D-d%C5%8D-phoenix-hall-187218.jpg

Even more than the famous hall, were the Buddha and Bodhisattva statues, some over 1000 years old, in the temple museum. A small sample ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm2oMRKl4dc&t=8s

However, the main reason for our visit to the area is a temple nearby that is the continuation of Master Dogen's first temple which he founded in Japan after returning from China (although it is really the child of that temple, as the location was moved some centuries after Dogen's time). The name is Koshoji ...

In 1233, after his return from his study mission to China, Dogen Zenji founded the Koshoji, the first Sōtō temple in Fukakusa, just south of the ancient capital Kyoto. During medieval warring, fire destroyed the compound and many priceless scriptures. In 1648, the local ruler Nagai Naomasa rebuilt it at Uji, its present location.

After Dogen Zenji’s death, the Koshoji ceased to exist. But the abbot Banan Eishu revived it to serve as a center for the severe and simple style of Zen inherited from Dogen Zenji. During the Edo period (1603-1867), novices from all over Japan came to train at the Koshoji, which, together with the Eiheiji and the Sojiji, cultivated many outstanding monks.

Most fortunate for us, an English speaking monk born in India has recently begun training there and was able to guide us around to many often closed parts of the temple. Most touching, of course, was the Zazen Hall (Sodo) where Zazen is sat daily from 4am. Here is a picture of us together in front of the central Altar, and another of the grounds ...

It was an honor to visit this place and to pay respects to the founder, Master Dogen.

Tomorrow, a precious chance for lunch with Taigu, who will meet us in Kyoto.

Gassho, Jundo

Washin
10-08-2019, 04:55 PM
Lovely updates, beautiful places!
Thank you for sharing them, Jundo and Kyonin.

Gassho
Washin
sat/lah

Kotei
10-08-2019, 05:46 PM
Thank you for the infos and pictures.
Hoping for safe travels and a bit of maple fall colours in those beautiful gardens.

Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Meitou
10-08-2019, 06:39 PM
Cool.

Also

Gassho
Kevin
Sat

Thanks for this Kevin, absolutely lovely websites. Wonderful to see Kyonin on these pages.
I'm loving every minute of your journey Kyonin, the photos are beautiful and I'm in awe of the sesshin requirements, I wouldn't have lasted the day, not even half a day! Still saying Metta for the speedy recovery of your knees :D
I couldn't be happier to see what a great time you're having, Jundo's reports have really brightened my days.
What joy!
Gassho
Meitou
sattodaylah

Onka
10-08-2019, 07:06 PM
Koshoji looks magnificent.
Gassho
Anna
Sat

Nenka
10-08-2019, 07:12 PM
Awesome pictures!

Please say hi to Taigu for us tomorrow! [wave]

Gassho

Nenka

ST

Horin
10-08-2019, 07:18 PM
Awesome.
So nice that you both take us on the journey with you. Thank you for sharing these moments with us.

Gassho

Ben

Stlah

Junkyo
10-08-2019, 07:32 PM
WOW! I have been a little busy lately, and am just catching up on some threads today. Thank you Jundo and Kyonin for sharing all of the stories and pictures! They are very inspiring!

Gassho,

Junkyo
SAT

Kyonin
10-08-2019, 11:25 PM
Hi guys,

Sorry for not posting often but as you can imagine, this trip is taking a lot of energy from both Jundo and me.

When night comes I can barely stand and all I want is to sleep!! But Jundo has super powers and the man is so full of energy!

I was saying to him yesterday that I have seen so many things and I have learned so much that at this point things are starting to become a blur. I have taken hundreds of pictures because when I'm back home I'll need to go through them to begin sorting out everything! Yes, I am not so bright.

I am grateful for this thread in the forums because it will help me sort out everything I have seen.

Kyoto is a wonderful city. It's full of tourists because everything is so beautiful and full of history that you need days to begin adapting to the beauty.

Yesterday we went to Kōshō-ji, Dogen's first temple in Kyoto. We were lucky to find a gentleman called Kumar, who is training to be a Soto Shu monk. Not only that, but he had a great sense of humor. He gave us a nice tour of the place.

We got to see how a traditional and functional temple works, how their zendo and kitchen are layed out and how some of their ceremonies are held.

My only complain is that we got there at sun set so the light was not good for nice pictures. Anyway, here I share some.

Look at the size of that mokugyo!

EDIT****

I haven't seen that Jundo had already posted some of the pictures!

Enjoy!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191008/513da9b6b24a15d066086e3fb52a9fe1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191008/d7265f41c8608ec384496f417da2eff0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191008/5b08d3576a16336c55adb0feb85054d3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191008/b0095dfa7713130c744a273633dd21be.jpg

Jundo
10-08-2019, 11:31 PM
A few more pictures of Koshoji ... the Zendo (Sodo) for Zazen and, in the old days (not today, as they have their own rooms now) where the monks would sleep and eat in the space of one tatami mat ...

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/zazenroshi/imgs/1/5/15662e59-s.jpg

This shows the "Gaitan" outside platform, and the inner "Naitan" platform. The outside is generally for visitors and late commers to a sitting. The board hanging on the door reads "ZAZEN" and is hung out when sitting begins so that folks outside will know to be quiet.

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/zazenroshi/imgs/a/9/a9b12481-s.jpg

An altar to Dogen Zenji (center) surrounded by the important founders and abbots of this temple ...

https://scontent-nrt1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/57303259_2675099732531482_2224714470016417792_n.jp g?_nc_cat=106&_nc_oc=AQkpaxYAAfBJ2SgIQ3VEZDzA83hjTV1uhwTVKdgBHZ4 YY8GjkQVzI2kSfbadDuFRqYU&_nc_ht=scontent-nrt1-1.xx&oh=0a1d39d7e5005a2ffcd367ba42d319cf&oe=5E3C7DEB

One of the wooden fish drum used to signal meals at Koshoji, this one worn away from years of use ... The old "kuin" kitchen for the "Tenzo" cook is seen in the back ....

https://scontent-frt3-1.cdninstagram.com/v/t51.2885-15/e35/s1080x1080/67840695_362260114711129_1123904242855744411_n.jpg ?_nc_ht=scontent-frt3-1.cdninstagram.com&oh=2d6403c3781fe633a09d15c62f179fd1&oe=5DF5C614&ig_cache_key=MjExMTYzNzQ4NzY1MzkwOTIyNQ%3D%3D.2

If you would like to see how such a "Ho" fish drum is played, look from 6:00 here. This is also a film about Head Temple Eiheiji, which Kyonin will be visiting from Friday ...

https://youtu.be/iqvtJIHKLyA?t=361

Gassho, J

STLah

Onka
10-09-2019, 12:08 AM
Both yours AND Jundo's energy is amazing.
Thankyou for letting us share this opportunity and experience with you.
Gassho
Anna

stlah

Tai Do
10-09-2019, 01:21 AM
Thank you, very much, Kyonin and Jundo, for sharing this experiences with us.
gassho1
Mateus
Sat today/LAH

Jakuden
10-09-2019, 01:53 AM
[emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]
That’s nine bows. Loving it all!

Gassho
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

Byokan
10-09-2019, 07:24 AM
Wow, thanks guys for the wonderful updates and photos. Amazing.

Tomorrow, a precious chance for lunch with Taigu, who will meet us in Kyoto.

Gassho, Jundo

Oh, awesome! Give him our love! gassho1

Gassho
Byōkan
sat + lah

Jundo
10-09-2019, 01:56 PM
Well, I am about to get on the overnight bus back to Tsukuba, leaving Kyonin on his own in Kyoto tomorrow, and then he heads to Eiheiji on Friday. He will be fine traveling there.

However, the problem is that ONE OF THE LARGEST TYPHOONS on RECORD ever to hit Japan is heading right toward us, and his travel route on Saturday, when he is supposed to make his way from Eiheiji to Tsukuba! I have told him that the railroad company will make sure that he gets to us ... eventually ... even if they need to suspend service for a day. He is not to worry, although where he will stay if he runs into trouble on the way is a question (e.g., possibly needing to wait in the station).

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/typh/images/zoom/1919-00.png

'Explosive' Typhoon Hagibis has Tokyo area in its sights after rapidly gathering strength in Pacific

OCT 9, 2019
Typhoon Hagibis, which the U.S. military’s forecasting agency has put on par with a Category 5 hurricane, is approaching Japan’s main island of Honshu after a rapid intensification in the Pacific and could make a direct pass over the Kanto [Tokyo/Tsukuba] region this weekend.

The storm, which tracked near the Ogasawara islands through Wednesday, is forecast to continue moving toward Honshu, weakening only slightly before a possible landfall on Saturday night or early Sunday morning.

More precise forecasts for its path are still difficult, and a turn to the west toward central Japan or the east toward the sea remain among the possibilities.

However, its large size means that areas not facing a direct hit could still be significantly impacted. Speaking during a news conference Wednesday, a Meteorological Agency official urged caution against heavy rain, strong winds, high waves and storm surge. East Japan Railway Co. President Yuji Fukasawa said Tuesday that the firm would consider suspending train operations in advance if the forecast path doesn’t change.

Hagibis has drawn the attention of experts from around the world for its rapid intensification. Meteorologist Robert Speta, an expert on typhoons who now works for the U.S. Navy in Florida, said the storm had gone through an “explosive intensification.”

“The storm went from a tropical storm to a violent typhoon in the matter of hours. In fact it was an historic amount of intensification in such a short time,” he said. “This only happens when all the right ingredients are in place. Like if you had a fire and instead of throwing gasoline on it to make it bigger you also grabbed some lighter fluid, a bit of oil and a couple of aerosol cans for good measure.” ...

As of Wednesday afternoon, the Meteorological Agency described the storm as “violent” — its highest classification — adding that the storm had sustained winds of 198 kph [122 mph]. The U.S. military’s Joint Typhoon Warning Center, observing higher sustained winds of 259 kph [161 mph], classified Hagibis as a Category 5-equivalent super typhoon.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/10/09/national/typhoon-no-19-likely-hit-japan-saturday-sunday-may-become-super-typhoon/#.XZxuQUb7TIU

I hope it is not necessary, but Kyonin may discover the kindness of Japanese in an emergency, especially to foreigners. In fact, it is a matter of national pride with the upcoming Olympics, so I know that he will receive the best of care, and I am not worried for his safety at all. He will get to us in Tsukuba, even if a little later than planned.

In happier news, Kyonin and I met Taigu today, who treated us to an exquisite lunch at a very cuisine conscious Japanese soba noodle and tempura house. It was lovely to see him and rebond. He looks youthful and healthy, and (as many of you know) is a newlywed who is obviously very happy. Here we are ...

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNN_g_-c-Mtq2NyKWTf59Qlsiodc3tGDCEZSgHAsUa9tsISMZht3W7DeKlX _DjQXg/photo/AF1QipPvUbYhudOtE00dc6eEmHuBpliXCNbN0nPiB0gn?key=O WNobmIwNjJxQVZ4WVowS2tHLS1aT3BwNkFxeFZR

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNN_g_-c-Mtq2NyKWTf59Qlsiodc3tGDCEZSgHAsUa9tsISMZht3W7DeKlX _DjQXg/photo/AF1QipPvUbYhudOtE00dc6eEmHuBpliXCNbN0nPiB0gn?key=O WNobmIwNjJxQVZ4WVowS2tHLS1aT3BwNkFxeFZR

We promised that we will do a better job in the future of exchanging news and supporting each other at Treeleaf and Taigu's Blue Mountain White Cloud Sangha.

https://www.facebook.com/bluemountainhermitage/

Naturally, much of his teaching and book writing activity is centered in France, and he now has several excellent priests with him there.

After the lovely lunch, Taigu was kind enough to introduce Kyonin to a rather exclusive Buddhist tailor shop (a shop specializing in robes and items for Soto priests), as Kyonin wished to acquire a kind of formal Rakusu in Soto style for ceremonies and such which they create.

http://www.taniguchi-houi.com/seihin_1.html

After that, we briefly stopped in a Japanese anime and gamers store, and I must compliment Kyonin. It turns out that Kyonin was once a serious anime and game fanatic who spent a fortune on such pursuits, and knows all the ins and outs about collectors items and such. However, he has completely broken the habit, left those days behind him. He described it to me as much like breaking any addiction. I am proud to say that Kyonin walked out of that store without spending one penny. I could tell he was battling the temptations when he saw some of the rare items that the store had, right from Japan. He just walked right through the place with a smile on his face, recalling his old self. Here we are, with me playing the devil of temptation ...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/BPAjs9TjzTKlTrlQyPPA0vTT0xcOabGdNuvWrg_srJlVECfyWY CH5_yOxrr6TJour8BPckNLkj06Z1mQNjeStFW069kjyqvYpSfo 9WOMHcSveNbVPOOlq7x4OqkCqATAyY2nmnqRcl47JkEI9d18W_ jSBFerZVfmWRMiKNYgVvr168aIiSWH-nuVhbi0fp6izZylB963tbbs8H88TJdhznFoa12BgePfiCWdMdk AzqtpDKqLrcf67GewOgfhkndSSnb5Oo3lXXUafHddIyMyYmUhL rNRdkZo6Jzi91Cgw63KMTyGFnYQoyIRoSu0QW8aWJ4ScLxEbiB fM1McWquysX4XQVJhcgkyUJyyddU5hXei7JFu6eP3LlN2C-S2bJr5pW3qnuWWYVJxFlQSa4jsogcxqIPSqETUuJ4_yOF6VjJP lFZ8dpu5X39tq149EQwtZYYKyiukqrfRryM8hz-_HURtpLsG30HNXHTCwSt7wtipteLLbmmjCy4ZWnnIpmdk00bkK 9eZU1HTvRduBeF8kRnVI_rEwBI_z16MipmEaCHqh2HaEoKfIU5 qftYxzmsd1YBxxeezlNmSypRbTla3ZY3sQlkmVuAclF7N4JVGN L3ygdjyqvksYnG4t-jAkPqL1fEfyZYaKBmusex5efxmdFRoBSpqrXyS8UEFtbLKR3Ja vyLcRanCd15XqvpM_ij8YCKVlntn2vqEgT43wDOtqYFc-P-oWJRNiS-RkxEMfx7ne9oB=w327-h245-no

to be continued ...

Jundo
10-09-2019, 01:57 PM
After that, we visited the famous Kiyonomizu temple, a place famous for its clean air and quite solitude ... although now flooded with bus loads and bus loads of tourists and kids on school trips. I am surprised that the famous wooden balcony of the temple could hold them all. We just had to make do with the clarity and quiet in our own hearts to pass through the sea of noise, bus fumes and people. It is fine, and all the refuge needed. The balcony looks like just a few folks here, but it sure was not when we visited! I did worry for the strength of the thing, which represents 1000 year old engineering!

https://d3bbatwdaufxg9.cloudfront.net/content/8514/6459/4406/10-20140723_Kiyomizudera_Mainspot-37-Edit2.jpg

I hope that Kyonin does not mind me saying that he broke down in tears of joy before one particular Buddha statue there, an Amida surrounded by a halo of Amidas ....

https://xn----kx8a55x5zdu8l3qh8ld.jinja-tera-gosyuin-meguri.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/%E6%B8%85%E6%B0%B4%E5%AF%BA-%E9%98%BF%E5%BC%A5%E9%99%80%E5%A0%82%E3%80%80%E9%9 8%BF%E5%BC%A5%E9%99%80%E5%A6%82%E6%9D%A5%E5%83%8F-.jpg

I hope that Amida helps keep Kyonin safe on his travels back to Tsukuba ...

Gassho, J

STLah

PS - Let me not forget to mention the Kyonin and I spent last night at a capsule hotel that resembled a star ship ... down to the uniforms. Not bad for $25 a night too!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNN_g_-c-Mtq2NyKWTf59Qlsiodc3tGDCEZSgHAsUa9tsISMZht3W7DeKlX _DjQXg/photo/AF1QipO0YRRO9dkSZ8sCpc6qwSsLU1OYWOmiUD-GnDnV?key=OWNobmIwNjJxQVZ4WVowS2tHLS1aT3BwNkFxeFZR

Nenka
10-09-2019, 02:23 PM
We promised that we will do a better job in the future of exchanging news and supporting each other at Treeleaf and Taigu's Blue Mountain White Cloud Sangha.

Now there's some good news! [claps]

Gassho

Nenka

ST

P.S. That last picture makes me want to send poor Kyonin some metta . . . :D

Jakuden
10-09-2019, 02:45 PM
Oh my gosh. Just, so much joy. Deep bows and thanks for the lift up.

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

Shoki
10-09-2019, 03:08 PM
This is all just so cool, interesting and fun to follow along with. Thanks for all the updates and pictures. Thanks to Taigu too as I'm still viewing his sewing videos. That drum fish with the hole in it reminds me of Willie Nelson's guitar.

Gassho
STlah
James

Seishin
10-09-2019, 05:51 PM
Many thanks to you both. Be safe in your travels Kyonin. [monk]

sat

Risho
10-09-2019, 09:38 PM
That's awesome! Good to see Taigu! Wish he'd drop a line once in a while.

Gassho

Risho
-stlah

Kyonin
10-09-2019, 11:14 PM
Hi guys,

Before my day walking around Kyoto begins, I wanted to add some notes to Jundo's last post.

It was a very moving and emotional day for me. At long last I got to sit with my two teachers, Jundo and Taigu. After quite a while secretly wishing a day like this could be possible, it finally was.

Sitting at the table, listening to both talk and exchange laughs was humbling. Gave me hope for a lot of possibilities for our sanghas. All this while I stuffed myself with tempura and ice cream.

Then at Kiyonomizu temple I must admit that it was a little discouraging seeing so many people. It was too crowded and sometimes you could barely walk or stop to admire the beauty.

However, the most important things were being almost ignored by people, like Jizo or Kannon.

But then we got to the big golden Amida Buddha and words fail to describe what I felt. All this trip, my practice, all my past... Everything made sense in a nano second.

I simply couldn't hold back my tears. All I could say was a very faint "This is it, Jundo".

If it wasn't for the amount people, I would've cried a lot more.

Have you ever had a feeling like that?

After that we went to have dinner, and we said our goodbyes.

And now on to Eiheiji and to experience a super typhoon.

I might not update in a bit because I'm not sure if I'll have internet or power. But I'll be in touch with Jundo.

Gassho,

Kyonin https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191009/328608b17b61c2454ff42a68c312b7a8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191009/a1173ef11aa76aabb8ae7bf49d35e38a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191009/a801aacb9b55e7169984b2afeb7f81a6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191009/100b8f2954cd4ef5c657d4ca364b55de.jpg

Meitou
10-10-2019, 07:09 AM
'Have you ever had a feeling like that?'

Yes, just now reading your updates! What an amazing trip. I also laughed when I read that Jundo introduced you to a tailor - I thought you were going to get measured for one of those very special Zen shirts that he and Taigu are wearing [morehappy]
You guys stay safe please, Metta to everyone in the path of the typhoon.
Gassho
Meitou
Satwithyoualltoday

Jundo
10-10-2019, 09:06 AM
A couple of more photos of the capsule hotel we stayed ... an excellent example of Japanese use of small spaces. When they saw how tall Kyonin is, they upgraded us to the high ceiling version for the same $25 too!

https://pix10.agoda.net/hotelImages/4356740/-1/150477e7561ca683591f5d52a00268c8.jpghttps://i0.wp.com/q8allinone.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/First-Cabin-Capsule-Hotel-In-Tokyo-2.jpg

l recommend to all Japan travelers ... provided no claustrophobia, of course.

Kyonin slept like a baby, except when the starship transitioned to warp speed.

Tairin
10-10-2019, 10:39 AM
Thank you for the updates. I am enjoying this thread immensely. I am very happy for you Kyonin.

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Daitetsu
10-10-2019, 11:07 AM
Thank you so much for sharing this with us, Kyonin and Jundo!
And great to see a happy Taigu!

Gassho,

Daitetsu

#sat2day

Jundo
10-10-2019, 01:27 PM
Just heard from Kyonin, who has enjoyed his day in Kyoto on his own. He wrote, "I decided to take it easy today and just walk around with no expectations or a plan."

First, he visited a garden at the Shinsen-en, which happens to be located near the "Starship Enterprise" capsule where l left him ...

Shinsenen (神泉苑) is a Shingon Japanese Buddhist temple located south of Nijō Castle in the approximate center of the modern city of Kyoto, Honshu, Japan. It was founded by Kūkai in 824 and predominantly consists of a large water garden centering about a pond. It is said to be the oldest existing garden in Kyoto. ...

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/f5279018-dc22-4d51-b926-5c4423a8f707/d8vdls4-a7f46c7f-4e1d-455e-a613-2748262de27e.jpg/v1/fill/w_1600,h_1063,q_75,strp/shinsen_en_garden_kyoto_by_andyserrano_d8vdls4-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI 1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNh NWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMT g4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7 ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9MTA2MyIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2Y1Mjc5MD E4LWRjMjItNGQ1MS1iOTI2LTVjNDQyM2E4ZjcwN1wvZDh2ZGxz NC1hN2Y0NmM3Zi00ZTFkLTQ1NWUtYTYxMy0yNzQ4MjYyZGUyN2 UuanBnIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTE2MDAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJu OnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.ZVj7LLvhk_-zUXPw5BwrSuMjzY4WtKmpBri05LnhsDQ

He then says, "Then in the middle of office buildings there's Rokkakudo mini - temple. There were 2 monks and some people chanting Hannya Haramita Shingyo and I joined them. "

The Rokkaku-dō (六角堂 Rokkaku-dō), official name Chōhō-ji (頂法寺 Chōhō-ji), is a Buddhist temple in Kyoto, Japan, said to have been established by Prince Shōtoku [the famous leader and sponsor of Buddhism who lived in the 6th Century]. The name [6 Corner Hall] comes from its main hall's hexagonal shape. This temple is part of the Saigoku Kannon Pilgrimage. ... Rokkaku-dō is believed to have been established in the early Heian period. The origins of traditional Japanese flower arrangement through the Ikenobō school are linked to Rokkaku-dō in the medieval Muromachi period. Rokkaku-dō was instrumental in the development of Jōdo Shinshū [Shin Pure Land School]. ... In 1204, when he was 29 years old, Shinran Shonin (1173 - 1263) decided to spend 100 days in seclusion or privacy at Rokkakudo Temple. On the 95th day, Kannon appeared to Shinran in a dream and told him to forgo his vow of celibacy and marry. She told him that she would appear to him in the form of a woman and they would become lovers and enter into Amida’s Paradise. She then told him that he should ... found a new order of Buddhism that encouraged clerical marriage and family life. A small hexagonal hall at Rokkakudo features two statues of Shinran – one seated in a dream trance and one standing with walking staff and beads.

And, so, Japanese Buddhist Priests began marrying and having families, a momentous development in the history of traditional Buddhism. Here's the Rokkakudo today ...

https://userdisk.webry.biglobe.ne.jp/013/529/32/N000/000/009/121306793571616132757.jpg

An old painting of Shinran's dream there

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/79/%E5%85%AD%E8%A7%92%E5%A0%82.jpg/220px-%E5%85%AD%E8%A7%92%E5%A0%82.jpg

Then, "Lastly I got to wonderful Bukkoji, and sat zazen under the main altar, which was open to the public."

Bukkō-ji (佛光寺 Bukkō-ji), also known as the "Temple of the Buddha's Light", was originally named Kosho-ji, a Jōdo Shinshū temple in the Yamashina ward of Kyoto, which later moved to the heart of Kyoto. The temple was founded and officially opened by a disciple named Ryōgen in 1324.

Although Kyonin sat Zazen there, it is not a temple of Zazen, for the Jodo Shinshu folks believe that nothing more is needed but faith in Amida Buddha's light ...

Shinran, like his mentor Hōnen, saw the age he was living in as being a degenerate one [[Mappo] where beings cannot hope to be able to extricate themselves from the cycle of birth and death through their own power, or jiriki (自力) [such as Zazen]. For both Hōnen and Shinran, all conscious efforts towards achieving enlightenment and realizing the Bodhisattva ideal were contrived and rooted in selfish ignorance; for humans of this age are so deeply rooted in karmic evil as to be incapable of developing the truly altruistic compassion that is requisite to becoming a Bodhisattva.

Due to his awareness of human limitations, Shinran advocates reliance on tariki, or other power (他力)—the power of Amitābha (Japanese Amida) made manifest in his Primal Vow—in order to attain liberation. Shin Buddhism can therefore be understood as a "practiceless practice", for there are no specific acts to be performed such as there are in the "Path of Sages". In Shinran's own words, Shin Buddhism is considered the "Easy Path" because one is not compelled to perform many difficult, and often esoteric, practices in order to attain higher and higher mental states.

As in other Pure Land Buddhist schools, Amitābha is a central focus of the Buddhist practice, and Jōdo Shinshū expresses this devotion through a chanting practice called nembutsu, or "Mindfulness of the Buddha [Amida]". The nembutsu is simply reciting the phrase Namu Amida Butsu ("I take refuge in Amitābha Buddha"). Jōdo Shinshū is not the first school of Buddhism to practice the nembutsu but it is interpreted in a new way according to Shinran. The nembutsu becomes understood as an act that expresses gratitude to Amitābha; furthermore, it is evoked in the practitioner through the power of Amida's unobstructed compassion. Therefore, in Shin Buddhism, the nembutsu is not considered a practice, nor does it generate karmic merit. It is simply an affirmation of one's gratitude. Indeed, given that the nembutsu is the Name, when one utters the Name, that is Amitābha calling to the devotee. This is the essence of the Name-that-calls.

Note that this is in contrast to the related Jōdo-shū, which promoted a combination of repetition of the nembutsu and devotion to Amitābha as a means to birth in his pure land of Sukhavati. It also contrasts with other Buddhist schools in China and Japan, where nembutsu recitation was part of a more elaborate ritual.

In another departure from more traditional Pure Land schools, Shinran advocated that birth in the Pure Land was settled in the midst of life. At the moment one entrusts oneself to Amitābha, one becomes "established in the stage of the truly settled". This is equivalent to the stage of non-retrogression along the bodhisattva path.
Many Pure Land Buddhist schools in the time of Shinran felt that birth in the Pure Land was a literal rebirth that occurred only upon death, and only after certain preliminary rituals. ... For Shinran Shonin, who closely followed the thought of the Chinese monk Tan-luan, the Pure Land is synonymous with nirvana.

At the end of the day, Kyonin was successful in finding a raincoat such as here (and one that fits his big size!), and says "I am a little bit scared of the typhoon, but I am sure Japan has great knowledge how to manage the situation and gaijin [foreign folks] like me."

https://sociorocketnews.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/top2.jpg?w=640&h=460

He is all set to leave for Eiheiji tomorrow, but coming out of Eiheiji is still the question. The national railroad says ...

JR East considers halting Tokyo train services this weekend as violent Typhoon Hagibis approaches

East Japan Railway Co. said Thursday that it is considering whether to suspend many train services in the Tokyo metropolitan area this weekend as a powerful typhoon is expected to hit the country. The company, widely known as JR East, is expected to announce the decision later Thursday and make it available in English, Chinese and Korean on its website and its Twitter account. ... There is a possibility that operations of the conventional lines and Shinkansen will be suspended on October 12th and 13th due to Typhoon No.19. For future information, please pay attention to the weather information and train status information

l wrote him, "l assure you that, compared to about maybe any other country, the Japanese will take care of you now if you get caught in transit." However, let us all sit and hold Kyonin in heart for the coming days. l believe that Zazen and Amida will keep him safe and warm.

Gassho, J

STLah

Ishin
10-10-2019, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the sharing and updates. It’s interesting and moving to read.
Gassho
Ishin
Sat/lah

Hoseki
10-10-2019, 06:00 PM
Hi guys,

Just wanted to say I'm enjoying the travel diary. Safe travels Kyonin!

gassho
Hoseki
Sattoday/lah

Seibu
10-10-2019, 06:31 PM
Thank you Kyonin and Jundo, it is a joy to follow this thread.

Gassho,
Jack
Sattoday/lah

Meitou
10-10-2019, 07:39 PM
I love those capsule hotels, so perfectly complete and so cheap!
THinking of Kyonin, as you say Jundo, I'm sure that Amida Buddha will hold him safe in his/her heart but a little extra from around the world won't do any harm.
:buddha:

Gassho
Meitou
sattoodaylah

Nengei
10-11-2019, 02:59 AM
gassho2

Following this thread is one of my favorite things the last several days.

Metta for everyone in Japan during this trying storm. Please keep letting us know you are safe.

Gassho,
Nengei
Sat. LAH.

Jundo
10-11-2019, 05:04 AM
The title for a young trainee monk is "Unsui" ... clouds and waters ... meaning that one must flow around circumstances like clouds and waters ... sometimes flowing, sometimes changing course according to circumstances, sometimes blocked and arrested by tall mountains or other barriers in one's path. Kyonin a full priest, but he will need to be clouds and waters tomorrow in the face of clouds, winds and waters.

Kyonin has arrived at Eiheiji town, and is now proceeding to the monastery itself. I encourage everyone to watch the little movie I posted about about life at Eiheiji, and you will see a little about what he will see during his short visit there.

https://youtu.be/iqvtJIHKLyA

However, the problem will be tomorrow, when he leaves there to try to return to Tsukuba. The Japanese railroad just released their predicted stoppages and, it is still too early to tell, but I think his odds are less than 50% of making it all the way through to Tsukuba without being stopped along the way. Hopefully, that stop will only be for a day until the storm passes (the railroad is usually very good about getting the trains running again, and will even bus people if tracks are blocked or the like). So, I am guessing that he will be caught somewhere in route, need to pass the night at least. I have told him to ask to be taken to a local emergency shelter (the Japanese have a pretty good system), or he may have to pass the night in a station. Maybe Eiheiji will tell him to stay, or maybe he will make it through. We don't know.

Here is the present position of the storm, Japan is 9 hours after UTC (e.g. 00 UTC is 9am Japan time, 06 UTC is 3pm Japan time same day). The storm has weakened slightly, but I believe is still a category 4.

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/typh/images/zooml/1919-00.png

Powerful Typhoon Hagibis could be the first to make landfall on Japan's main island of Honshu while still categorized as "very strong," the Japan Meteorological Agency has warned. The agency is predicting fierce winds, rough seas and torrential rain over a wide area, as the typhoon, this year's 19th, continues on its path to approach and possibly make landfall on Japan's main island on the weekend. Transportation operators are already planning to cut services as the country braces ....

Typhoon Hagibis is currently categorized as "very strong." This refers to a typhoon having a maximum wind speed near its center ranging from 44 to less than 54 meters per second, or from 158.4 to less than 194.4 kilometers per hour. According to the agency, only three typhoons of that strength have made landfall in Japan since 1991, and all of those cases were in western Japan's Shikoku and southwestern Japan's Kyushu. If Typhoon Hagibis makes landfall on Japan's main island of Honshu while maintaining its strength, it would mark the first time for such a powerful storm to do so.

I have told him that "the real Zen lesson of this trip may come tomorrow, not in any monastery or Sesshin, as you just allow life, weather, roads and obstacles to carry you where they will. Just staying dry and warm will be enough. It is more training perhaps in this "Typhoon Zen Hall" ... accepting circumstances ... and you will learn the real meaning of "unsui" as "clouds and water." "

Kyonin writes, "I keep on hoping Amida Butsu and Jizo will take good care of all travelers."

Gassho, J

STLah

Geika
10-11-2019, 05:51 AM
I hope everyone is safe during the storm. Gassho.

Sat today, lah

Jundo
10-11-2019, 06:22 AM
THIS JUST IN: ALL TRAINS STOPPED TOMORROW ALONG MOST OF KYONIN's ROUTE!

I have told Kyonin to maybe speak to Eiheiji about being given an extra day of Shelter ... I am sure they will have pity ...

(Just in case, I hinted that Kyonin should ask the Eiheiji folks while making "lost puppy dog" eyes while standing next to a statue of Kannon.)

http://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/ap/69810737-002b-4fb0-8549-0600a3b82e59.grid-6x2.jpg

Humor is important in these situations.:encouragement:

Perhaps a good time for this ...

https://youtu.be/GJtq6OmD-_Y

Jundo
10-11-2019, 06:36 AM
Kyonin just wrote ....

Yes yes, I'll be nice.

Zazen begins now!

Washin
10-11-2019, 06:52 AM
Thank you for all the latest updates and pictures.
Hope all going to be well with Kyonin at Eiheiji [gassholook]

Gassho
Washin
sat this morning

Meitou
10-11-2019, 07:02 AM
Two great videos, Gimme Shelter is one of my favourite Stones tracks, this version is awesome and I was unaware of the Playing for Change initiative, so thank you Jundo.
A lot of thought and discussion around knees and sitting, but what about that hardcore floor cleaning! Everytime I see a video of monks doing that samu, my teeth clench, I'd be better suited to sweeping snow from the entire site with a three twig broom than five minutes on the floor, these monks are amazing.
In the video, just before we enter the kitchen, there is a sign, can I assume that it says 'kitchen' or similar? I'd like to make one for my appt.
I'm following updates about the Typhoon, sitting for Kyonin but sure in my heart he will be given shelter, who wouldn't help such a gentle guy. Blessings for his journey in every way possible. Namo Amida Bu! gassho2

Gassho
Meitou
Satwithyoualltoday lah

Jundo
10-11-2019, 10:00 AM
In the video, just before we enter the kitchen, there is a sign, can I assume that it says 'kitchen' or similar? I'd like to make one for my appt.

"The kuin (庫院 lit. warehouse hall) is the kitchen of a Zen monastery, typically located behind the butsuden (or, Buddha Hall). Historically the kuin was a kitchen which prepared meals only for the abbot and his guests, though in modern Japan it now functions as the kitchen and administrative office for the entire monastery."

The following says "Dai Kuin" (Great Kitchen), so it is the last two Kanji ...

https://blogimg.goo.ne.jp/user_image/72/1a/b2d3dc5c8012b9cf4cf474c3a92b7750.jpg

Gassho, J

STLah

Jundo
10-11-2019, 10:04 AM
THIS JUST IN from JAPAN RAILROAD:

Notice

It is estimated that operations will be suspended on local lines and Shinkansen [Bullet Train] around the metropolitan area from October 12th Saturday to 13th Sunday due to the approaching of the typhoon No.19. The operation for 12th is scheduled as follows. Also, train operations are expected to be suspended at least until around noon for 13th. Large scale damage is likely, and there is a possibility that line sections that suffer damage will be suspended for a long time.

We will get him home somehow.

Jundo
10-11-2019, 11:38 AM
In the following, Kyonin and Eiheiji are on just above the Oct "O" where it says "09 UTC, 12 Oct" on the following map, above the yellow line but within the red serious wind line ... in the fat part of Fukui Prefecture, marked here ...

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/typh/images/zooml/1919-00.pnghttps://www.cityoffullerton.com/images/Government/Sister%20City/fukuimap.png

Tokyo and Tsukuba, where I am, are right along the dotted white line in the center ...

http://www.envr.tsukuba.ac.jp/~elkin12/japan.jpg

Fukushima Nuclear Facility is exactly 109 miles (175km) north of Tsukuba on the coast, about 2/3rd of the way to where it says "Sendai" on the map. So, we have been through emergencies around here before.

https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/78/590x/secondary/Typhoon-Hagibis-track-2106373.jpg?r=1570970893464

By the way, I hope folks might make an effort to come out for this Zazenkai today/tonight, to support Kyonin who is taking shelter at Eiheiji, and everyone in the face of nature today.

October 11th-12th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - For Kyonin and All in the Typhoon Path
https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?17275-October-11th-12th-Treeleaf-Weekly-Zazenkai-For-Kyonin-and-All-in-the-Typhoon-Path

Gassho, J

STLah

Daitetsu
10-11-2019, 01:12 PM
I will be sitting for Kyonin, Jundo and all people in the danger zone.

Please keep on sending us updates on your safety!

Take good care!

Gassho,

Daitetsu

#sat2day

Nenka
10-11-2019, 01:23 PM
I'm out of town but I will do a little sit tonight for Kyonin and everyone in the path of this typhoon. Hoping I can sit with the recording Sunday.

Gassho

Nenka

ST

Heisoku
10-11-2019, 11:15 PM
A wonderful journal of the trip. Thanks Kyōnin and Jundo. And just getting to Eheiji is hard enough let alone sitting for the day.
As for the weather, if Kyonin gets stuck Jundo, my son is working at Suzuka for the F1, so he can drop by there and will be taken care of.
It is amazing how much you have both done! I can only share in everyone’s joy at seeing Kyōnin and yourself wander in the history of Soto zen and Japanese life. Thanks
Gassho
Heisoku
Stlah

Jundo
10-12-2019, 03:48 AM
Eiheiji has graciously provided a room for Kyonin ... He writes:

Hi Jundo.

They just told me I can stay for just 1 night here. They will prepare a room and will set me apart so I don't interfere with the daily activities.

Hi Jundo.

OK so far it's okay. They put me in a room, told me I can walk some parts of the monastery but I should be mostly in the room.

I can also go outside, but asked me to wait until the rain calms down a little.

I have to leave tomorrow at 9 am.

I have quite a bit of time to sit today.

I told Kyonin that this is his abbreviated "Tangaryo" at Eiheiji. From our friend Koun Franz ...

After standing outside the gates and finally being granted provisional entry [to the monastery], I was placed with one other monk in tangaryō, a corner room with thin walls and window frames that didn’t quite fit the windows. We were told to sit in zazen all day, and so we did.

We knew this was to last a week, but we were constantly threatened with more. Inspecting monks would burst in at odd hours to see if we were really sitting or not. We were told that if we couldn’t use our bowls skillfully by the end of the week, we would be a burden on the group, and would have to stay one more week in seclusion for good measure. We were constantly encouraged to go home, told that we really were not monk material.

The first night, I went to sleep tired but full of resolve. The second day, it snowed hard, and the snow came into the room through those ill-fitting window frames and gathered on my lap. Thus began a week of being so cold that I couldn’t stop shaking, ever. At night, in bed, I shivered so hard that my jaw ached, and I often felt I couldn’t breathe. And of course, doing zazen literally all day every day, my legs felt as if they’d been hit with hammers. I would lie in bed, moving between two thoughts: first, that I had chosen this, and second, that I did not know why. I tried every kind of pep talk, every kind of mental game imaginable to somehow escape that physical reality, or to feel better, or to feel stronger. I felt I had been reduced to nothing, in a matter of days.

But around the fifth day, I gave up. I gave up trying to make it better. And I gave up hope that it would get better with time. I had settled into a very cool place, as if sitting still in the most remote chamber of a deep, deep cave. I did not feel warm—I was still freezing. My legs still ached so badly that it was difficult to walk to the bathroom and back. I had chillblains on my ears—they looked, and felt, as if they were made of bloody crepe paper. I had let go of my fantasies about how wonderful this would all be, how spiritual. I no longer imagined that I would be transformed here into a certain kind of person, or that I would learn things that no one else knows. I could see in the monks who visited us that while some were quite kind in their strictness, all were human, and some were simply children, enjoying power over someone of lesser rank. Even in seclusion, I could see clearly that this monastery would not transform us all into walking embodiments of compassion. Until that day, I could not have known how much baggage I had carried with me into that monastery.

So I gave up. But I did not quit. I did not do what a rational person might do, which is to pack up my things, politely thank everyone for the food and shelter, and go home. I cannot say why I didn’t leave—I’m certain that at times in my life, I would have. But I stayed. It may seem too simple, but now, years later, much of my understanding of Zen practice comes down to just this: to give up, then to continue anyway.
https://nyoho.com/tag/tangaryo/

Priests waiting for admission ...

https://columneye.c.blog.ss-blog.jp/_images/blog/_68c/columneye/IMG_0013_11.jpg?c=a1

Poor fellows left to sit in Tangaryo for a week ...

https://img02.hamazo.tv/usr/i/m/a/imakoko/%E6%97%A6%E9%81%8E%E8%A9%B0%E7%B8%AE%E5%B0%8F.jpgh ttps://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwqJ4dPIwjqRpxxfQnU42hKEOE6O57A hYf3QjiFilETWSLmODp

Upper classmen monks spying on the Tangaryo, making sure that everyone is sitting ...

http://www.choushouji.com/saijiki/images/005.jpg

Gambatte (Hang in there in Japanese) Kyonin!

Gassho, J

STLah

Jundo
10-12-2019, 03:59 AM
Current position. The town hall called for evacuations of some areas of Tsukuba that tend to flood, but fortunately we are not in a flood Zone ...

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/typh/images/zoom24l/1919-00.png

The big concern is the next town over from here in Ibaraki, about 15 minutes by car, Joso City, which sits below a river dike that has broken in recent years during big rains, inundating a wide area and sweeping away whole parts of the town ...

https://youtu.be/tIzmv0qoLLU

Gassho, J

STLah

Jundo
10-12-2019, 04:24 AM
Kyonin adds ...

The monks here gave me a nice and small room. Perfect for just stay put, contemplate and zazen. ...

They even gave me a thermo full of tea. And since I am so cold now, it's fantastic.

Kokuu
10-12-2019, 08:07 AM
That is awful in Ibaraki. So much damage. I hope that Tsukuba can avoid similar flooding.

Glad to head that Kyonin is safe in Eiheiji.

Gassho
Kokuu

Onka
10-12-2019, 08:55 AM
Flooding sucks. Typhoons can be scary. My ex partner and I were flying JAL from Sydney to Japan for an overnight stop before flying on to the UK where we were moving to.
The flight was getting battered by a Typhoon that was hitting Japan. My ex partner was incredibly unwell from the turbulence and I was trying to convince myself to be strong for her. Looking around as we were buffeted about and dropping huge distances followed by steep climbs all I saw were a plane full of Japanese folk shrieking and laughing with their arms waving in the air. They thought this was tremendous fun while I was convinced I was going to die haha. Looking back it was hilarious but then all I could think of was that this explains my martial arts teacher and his Japanese wife's wacky sense of humour.
Be safe all of my Japanese sisters and brothers.
Oh, and Jundo, that description of the first weeks of a novice Monk's journey at Eiheiji sounds pretty hardcore. I'm a bit fond of physical exertion but believe it or not the thing I'd like to be able to do - Skikantaza - I can't because of my blasted spine. I'm quite taken with walking Zazen at the moment, not quite as slow as Kinhin but just as mindful.
Be well Kyonin. May your pilgrimage end safely in the arms of your loved ones.
Gassho
Anna

Sat today/Lent a hand

Heiso
10-12-2019, 10:08 AM
I'm just catching up after a hectic week. It's been lovely to accompany you on your journey, Kyonin and I'm glad to hear you are safe. Terrible to see and hear the impact of the typhoon, I will also sit for everyone involved.

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Tairin
10-12-2019, 12:18 PM
Putting aside the catastrophe for a moment, this continues to be a most fascinating journey for Kyonin. Once the storm passes this extra time at Eiheiji will become a cherished memory.

Metta for those in the path of this typhoon and for all suffering from natural catastrophes

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Tai Do
10-12-2019, 02:33 PM
I’m very glad for your journey, Kyonin. It is wonderful to be able to experience all you are living.
May you return well.
And may all affected by this typhoon be well. Metta!
Gassho,
Mateus
Sat today/LAH

Eva
10-12-2019, 03:00 PM
Somehow I think that this typhoon is exactly where it is supposed to be (for a typhoon) and Kyonin where Kyonin is supposed to be .
Wishing everyone a safe stay wherever one finds himself/herself .

Gassho, eva
sattoday and also LAH

Seishin
10-12-2019, 05:11 PM
Good to see Kyonin got a safe haven the night. That Gimme Shelter video was a wonderful thought Jundo. What a great cover too boot. Loving this story unravel.

Sat / lah

Meitou
10-12-2019, 07:45 PM
"The kuin (庫院 lit. warehouse hall) is the kitchen of a Zen monastery, typically located behind the butsuden (or, Buddha Hall). Historically the kuin was a kitchen which prepared meals only for the abbot and his guests, though in modern Japan it now functions as the kitchen and administrative office for the entire monastery."

The following says "Dai Kuin" (Great Kitchen), so it is the last two Kanji ...

https://blogimg.goo.ne.jp/user_image/72/1a/b2d3dc5c8012b9cf4cf474c3a92b7750.jpg

Gassho, J

STLah

Thanks for this Jundo, I'll make a little gift for my personal Tenzo.:)
So sad to see the flooding in Ibaraki, it must be terrible for people in Japan to see this, triggering memories of the Tsunami, images which I'll never forget. I'll sit and offer Metta for all who are suffering.
I'm very glad to know that Kyonin was allowed to stay at the monastery for the night, I hope he wasn't as cold as Koun Franz anyway - that was quite an inspiring story.
I sit hoping that he continues his journey safely and that your community in Tsukuba avoids major damage.
Gassho
Meitou
sattodaylah

Jundo
10-12-2019, 10:53 PM
Dear All,

Here is what I wrote Kyonin on the plan for today ...

After the typhoon passes tonight, you will be surprised how lovely and clear the weather should be in the morning. The air will be fresh, and the sun soon shining.

Any way you can, get to Fukui Station [the closest major hub] pretty early when they kick you out at 9am. It may be a bit chaotic, and the trains might still not be running, but they will have the best information at the ticketing office, speak English, and try to help you at the JR [railroad] information office. The good news is that there are many routings from Fukui to get back ... There are many different train routings to these places around here from Fukui, so I am almost positive that you will get back to Tsukuba within tomorrow (Sunday 11/13). Something will be running ... I will see you tomorrow night.

In the worst case, I will come get you. Don't worry. You won't miss your flight.

So, the sun is shining and the sky is clear, and that is the plan. Kyonin just wrote that the bus seems to be working from Eiheiji to Fukui. The monks brought him breakfast, and he is setting out after that.

At Treeleaf, only minor damage that I can see, stuff that even I can fix. Back field is flooded. Our old pig house (pigs long gone) is still standing, which is amazing as only the termites are holding it together I think!

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6114&d=1570920053

The Zendo looks like it made it.

On the other hand, in our community, the town hall is still sending notifications about possible river flooding and land slides. That is true in other places around Japan too ...

https://youtu.be/fEU191OOFrM
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20191013_24/

Our Zazen today is for all victims of natural events here and around the world.

Gassho, J

STLah

PS - (If anyone is thinking of a donation, Japan is generally very well off. I would suggest one of the organizations like Doctors without Borders that rushes to places around the world less well off).

Kyonin
10-12-2019, 11:03 PM
Hi guys,

Just a little update.

Yesterday it was a very scary day because the typhoon was coming but I had to leave Eiheiji right in the middle of the storm.

I asked for shelter, but at first the monks said no. Jundo talked to someone and they finally let me stay one more night. I guess that when they realized the size and fury of the typhoon, the changed their minds.

They gave me a room a nice futon, but for security reasons they asked me not to leave the room. With no Internet, I've had quite a bit of time to sit zazen while listening to the rain, the temple bells and the monks chanting.

They were super nice and kind to me. They made sure I was warm, fed and confortable. I am very grateful to them.

So it's the next day and it's still raining, but not as hard. Bus is working again and that will take me to the nearest train station.

Wish me luck in my adventure back to Jundo's home.

Gassho,

Kyonin

I'm not posting pictures because I am saving data. I want to have my connection available while I go back to Tsukuba. But I'll post some as soon as I can.

Ishin
10-12-2019, 11:23 PM
Be safe Kyonin. What a great adventure!

Gassho
Ishin
Sat/lah

Jundo
10-12-2019, 11:26 PM
I asked for shelter, but at first the monks said no. Jundo talked to someone and they finally let me stay one more night. I guess that when they realized the size and fury of the typhoon, the changed their minds.

Yes, that is one reason. Also when they realized the size and fury of my loud voice (although coupled with a peaceful heart) when I heard they planned to turn you and some other folks out at 9am yesterday with the storm making landfall. I think I used words on the phone like 慈悲 (Jihi, Compassion) and inquired of their ほとけの心 (Hotoke no Kokoro, Buddha's Heart) to even think about putting people out in a massive storm, some of whom don't speak Japanese and have no idea where to go with no trains running! I think that realization, and my mention that it would look awfully bad when the story came out on Facebook, helped change their hearts too! [evil] What were they even thinking?

So it's the next day and it's still raining, but not as hard.

Oh, the skies are clear and cloudless here! [monk]

Gassho, J

STLah

Onkai
10-13-2019, 01:35 AM
Thank you, Jundo and Kyonin, for keeping us informed of what is happening. I wish you safe and comfortable travels, Kyonin.

Gassho,
Onkai
Sat

Jundo
10-13-2019, 01:37 AM
All train lines now running inside metropolitan Tokyo (except for some flooded areas in the outskirts), and from Tokyo to Tsukuba ... so, if we can now get Kyonin as far as Tokyo today, he will be okay.

Gassho, J

STLah

Jundo
10-13-2019, 02:08 AM
Trouble now seems to be the train line between Fukui and Maibara, which he needs. It is listed as service disruptions, and partially blocked, but no details.

Jundo
10-13-2019, 02:20 AM
Good news! Kyonin just wrote ...

Hi Jundo!

I am now at Fukui station. The people at the JR desk changed my tickets for today.

I am waiting now to board the 11:36 train for Maibara. All is fine so far :)

I wrote ...

Yeah. Okay, get a seat on left side of Shikansen facing front of train ... and don't sleep through and miss Mt. Fuji. I will be very upset. :) Remember that Fuji san will be lovely today. It will be visible out the left side windows as you face the front of the train. I think it is most visible after you pass Shizuoka, and around Shin Fuji, on your way to Tokyo.

No snow on top of Mt Fuji or cherry blossoms this time of year, however. So, I will substitute this photo ... :p

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b1/89/58/b18958144a12eb28288d12aa16fa784a.jpg

Let us celebrate Kyonin's travels with a little more of the Okinawan Drum group that he and I saw, who combine traditional Okinawan dance with Karate Kata moves ... I have become a big fan. This is a great song ...

https://youtu.be/6uDI_4QxrJE

Gassho, J

STLah

Ishin
10-13-2019, 02:26 AM
Yes, that is one reason. Also when they realized the size and fury of my loud voice (although coupled with a peaceful heart) when I heard they planned to turn you and some other folks out at 9am yesterday with the storm making landfall. I think I used words on the phone like 慈悲 (Jihi, Compassion) and inquired of their ほとけの心 (Hotoke no Kokoro, Buddha's Heart) to even think about putting people out in a massive storm, some of whom don't speak Japanese and have no idea where to go with no trains running! I think that realization, and my mention that it would look awfully bad when the story came out on Facebook, helped change their hearts too! [evil] What were they even thinking?

Oh, the skies are clear and cloudless here! [monk]

Gassho, J

STLah

Never mess with a Zen Lawyer!:D. Glad it worked out, and yes you would think under the circumstances such negotiations wouldn’t be necessary.

Gassho
Ishin
Sat/lah

Jundo
10-13-2019, 04:41 AM
Kyonin has written that he is now successfully on the Bullet Train ... but may have to stand for the whole trip of about 3 hours, as the train is mobbed.

I encouraged him to get off along the way, stretch his legs, and try a later train (they run about every 30 minutes). If he gets a seat, of course, we should yield for the elderly, ill and pregnant.

Someone posted online this selfie from inside a bullet train on such a crowded day. ANOTHER "REAL JAPAN EXPERIENCE" for Kyonin!!! It is kind of like being on a 727 ... but standing. :eek: The "Hikkari" train he is riding reaches speeds of 270 km/h (168 mph). (The somewhat faster Nozomi ... which costs more ... reaches 300 km/h (186 mph)).

https://backnumber.dailyportalz.jp/2010/08/07/a/img/006.jpg http://www.asahi.com/kansai/travel/news/image/OSK201104300004.jpg

I am guessing that the food cart won't be passing today? I wonder.

https://cdn1.everyevery.ng/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/16162603/twelve-1024x713.jpg

Gassho, J

Jundo
10-13-2019, 05:01 AM
PS - Of course, Japan is now working on development of a replacement for the Bullet Train ... rather faster ...

What is the Maglev train’s top speed? In April 2015, a manned superconducting Maglev train broke two previous land speed records for rail vehicles. The train was clocked at 603 kilometers per hour or 375 miles per hour. This is much faster than the Maglev trains already operating in Shanghai, China ... which run at speeds of 268 to 311 miles per hour ...

SC Maglev, or superconducting magnetic trains, were developed by the Central Japan Railway Company and the Railway Technical Research Institute beginning in the 1970s. Maglev trains work on the principle of magnetic repulsion between the cars and the track. The word maglev is actually a combination of the words “magnetic” and “levitation.” The magnetic levitation, or floating of the train, is achieved through the use of an electrodynamic suspension system, or EDS.

You do get to your destination faster, that is for sure. The only small trade off will be, of course, that passengers are rendered incapable of having children. [scared] Folks with hip replacements may find themselves stuck to the floor. Oh, and those pesky earthquakes ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvEP6tYvP0

I believe that they will run mostly through an underground tunnel, and the first leg will open in about 8 years if all goes to plan.

Gassho, J

STLah

Meitou
10-13-2019, 06:46 AM
I was very anxious after following the news reports, so thank you for these reassuring updates Jundo and Kyonin, what a trip this has turned out to be.
Sitting today for all those suffering as a result of the typhoon, hoping that those people reported missing make their way home.
Gassho
Meitou
Satwithyoualltoday

Jundo
10-13-2019, 07:53 AM
Kyonin has boarded the Tsukuba Express ....

Washin
10-13-2019, 07:57 AM
What a relief that all turned out well :) And what a journey for Kyonin to remember!
Thank you both for the latest updates.
Sitting today's Sunday sit for all affected by the natural events.

Gassho
Washin
ST

Kotei
10-13-2019, 08:13 AM
What an adventure...
Metta to all affected by natural events.

Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Heisoku
10-13-2019, 08:35 AM
As Kyōnin said ..the Dharma works!
Gassho

Jundo
10-13-2019, 10:43 AM
Kyonin has arrived!

In truth, we are luckier to have him here than I first thought today, as several of the Bullet Line train routes he would have taken are under water, and there are many people suffering tonight.

https://youtu.be/v-YiOp-MxSE

At the same time, Kyonin is cooking something called Chilaquiles Verdes for dinner in the kitchen, and we are just very grateful to be together with the storm passed.

Gassho, J

STLah

Onka
10-13-2019, 10:53 AM
Metta to the families, friends and loved ones of those who lost their lives, homes and loved possessions.
Glad Kyonin arrived safe. The footage here in Australia showed soooo much carnage and high speed trains under water.
Be well comrade Kyonin, you really have *experienced* Japan now lol.
Gassho
Anna

Sat today

Junkyo
10-13-2019, 12:48 PM
Happy to hear Kyonin made it back safely!

Metta to all affected by the typhoon! I have seen a few pictures of the damage on the news here in Canada and it is quite sad.

Gassho,

Junkyo
SAT

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Nengei
10-13-2019, 03:11 PM
What an adventure this whole trip has been! Truly lifetime stories.

Gassho,
Nengei
Sat.

Cooperix
10-13-2019, 04:16 PM
Good images and story of the typhoon in today's NYTimes...
Blessings to everyone impacted by this storm.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/12/world/asia/japan-typhoon-hagibis-dead.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Gassho
Anne

~lahst~

Meitou
10-13-2019, 07:38 PM
Thankful for Kyonin's safe homecoming and that you all, and our precious Zendo, withstood the storm.
Gassho
Meitou
sattodaylah

Jundo
10-14-2019, 03:50 PM
On Kyonin's last day in Japan, we traveled a bit to some special Buddhist sites near Kamakura. Dogen visited Kamakura in 1247, and some of Zen's great monasteries are there or nearby.

Our first stop is not so famous, but an unusual site that I have taken people to many times: The Taya Caves.

Taya cavern is an extensive cave carved into a hillside on the outskirts of Kamakura by Shingon Buddhist monks from 1192 until 1720. It is located on the grounds of the Jousenji temple, and as it is rather off the beaten path, you won’t see many tourists at this fascinating historic site. Shingon is one of the early sects of Buddhism to come to Japan; history has it that it was first brought to Japan in 804 AD by Kukai, a Japanese monk who traveled to China and brought back the teaching. The word “Shingon” is the Japanese reading of the Chinese word, Zhēnyán (真言),which is a translation of the Sanskrit word Mantra, or “mystical words.” Shingon is the Japanese school of Esoteric Buddhism ... Visitors are given a small candle to help illuminate the carvings one sees along the way. I would recommend bringing a flashlight in order to better see the carvings. The passageways open up into 17 domed chambers with intricate carvings up the walls and around the domes. Natural streams trickle through the walls, and are channeled along the walkways in some of the chambers. Traditionally, Shingon monks would practice their austerities in the cave, and not leave- as they engaged in meditation, chanting, carving, and fasts- for days or weeks at a time.

Marks on the walls show that the caves and sculptures were all hand carved by Buddhist practitioners over a 500 year period, and that those practitioners would often shut themselves into the caves for long periods of time for a regime of carving, chanting, meditation and isolation. Here are some pictures of the inside ...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-l75671r29Xw/UnaFheOWM6I/AAAAAAAAkYw/eLAFvSlddgs/s640/PhotoGrid_1383498319689.jpghttp://lh5.ggpht.com/-xPvo3ro9xdg/UnaFf35_MwI/AAAAAAAAkYo/fLXpuOlQFLM/s640/PhotoGrid_1383498207980.jpg

Next, we visited a Soto temple located on top of a hill featuring a peace memorial in the shape of a massive Kannon Bodhisattva's head rising over the town, as well as building stones that were at ground zero in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, still burned and black from the heat. 1000 Crane Origami (folded paper) chains can be seen in the background, created by people as a prayer for peace. A flame is kept burning said to be lit originally from actual fires that burned at Hiroshima on that day. The priest of the temple invited us to listen to his Sutra Chanting for peace around noon.

https://innbytheseakamakura.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/img_0763.jpghttps://trip.pref.kanagawa.jp/img/spots/photos/large/e644416d2b7504ab1677534f0c20bb25-900x600.jpg

... to be continued ...

Jundo
10-14-2019, 03:50 PM
In Kamakura itself, we visiting one of the great Rinzai monasteries, Engakuji, and then the famous Great Amida Buddha of Kamakura. Here he is sitting side by side with Kyonin. Frankly, Amida's posture could use a little adjusting while sitting Zazen, but I guess it is hard to carry such a heavy head!

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6115&d=1571063127

We finished at the nearby Hase Kannon Temple, which among many other moving features, has a sea of Jizo Bodhisattvas, each dedicated to a child who was unborn or died in life. Small toys are often placed with the statues as a offering to the children, or hats and cloaks knitted to keep them warm. This kind of garden of Jizos can be found at many temples in Japan.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c1/e1/68/c1e16860ad036c4400a0e9f10df86ad0.jpg

The temple also features a massive wooden Sutra Wheel, a rotating cabinet of Sutra scrolls stored inside. Each rotation of the wheel is said to earn all the merit of actually having recited all of the Sutras contained therein. Very time saving!

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/06/16/2f/98/hasedera-temple.jpg

We returned early enough for Kyonin to treat my family to tacos ... Guadalajara style (he will tell you all about why Mexico City folks get Tacos all wrong). In any case, they were great, and even my finicky kids ate a plate full with refried beans and guacamole,

We will close Kyonin's pilgrimage with a short Zazenkai before I run him to the airport bus. Please join us if you can.

Special Farewell Zazenkai for Kyonin
https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?17281-Special-Farewell-Zazenkai-for-Kyonin

The sitting will be dedicated to all those suffering natural disasters. On our way to Kamakura today, we crossed some of the rivers which had overflowed and saw the city streets nearby still filled with mud and debris.

Gassho, J

STLah

PS - Oh, and before heading home, we briefly stopped by at Cyberdyne (actual name, for you Terminator fans), the robot and cyborg manufacturer located here in Tsukuba. Their main cyborg suit is call HAL (yes, I know) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8VhW9JIwUk

Kyonin
10-14-2019, 09:33 PM
Hi everyone,

I type this on my last sunrise in Japan. I still can't believe all the things I have seen and done.

I will need a few days to settle and process everything. Thanks to Jundo this thread will serve me a way to put everything in order and remember.

Sorry for not posting as much, but most of the days I started my days way before dawn and had to go rushing all around. And also the little keyboard of the phone and my big gorilla fingers are not a good combination for long posts.

Anyhow, I am getting ready to depart. It will be great to sit in our zendo one more time... I was about to write "... To sit next to Jundo one more time... ", but this is the wonder of Treeleaf. We always sit right next to each other, erasing the illusion of distance and physical location.

Thank you all who made all this possible. Even when this trip got scary, I felt loved and protected by all of you. Thank you.

Now on for my last couple of hours here. I think I might get some curry before boarding the plane [emoji493][emoji28]

I'll post again when I get home. Please ask Jizo to protect all travelers today.

Gassho,

Kyoninhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191014/967331a4e92da4d1d784725261102783.jpg

Jundo
10-14-2019, 10:09 PM
Ah, Japanese curry. Not to be confused in any way with Indian or Thai curry. It is my kid's absolute favorite dish, not too hot and often sweet, and is seen in our house at least once a week.

Here is more than almost anyone needs to know about Japanese curry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tennQJl7hho

Gassho, J

STLah

Shōnin Risa Bear
10-14-2019, 10:15 PM
Kyonin, we sit with you, yes.

gassho
doyu sat today

Tai Do
10-14-2019, 10:25 PM
Kyonin,
I’m very happy for your trip. We all came along with you through this thread. Thank you very much for your’s and Jundo’s posts. May you have a good flight back to Mexico.
Gassho,
Mateus
Sat today/LAH

Jundo
10-15-2019, 04:30 AM
Two photos of Kyonin as I sent him back to his home world today ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6117&d=1571113675https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6118&d=1571113694

(Actually, those were taken a few weeks ago, when we visited the headquarters of the Japanese Space Agency, which is also headquarted here in Tsukuba).

Kyonin should now be getting ready to board his plane, which departs in about an hour. I hope he got his curry rice!

Gassho, J

STLah

Washin
10-15-2019, 06:19 AM
Two photos of Kyonin as I sent him back to his home world today ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/atta...7&d=1571113675https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/atta...8&d=1571113694

Kyonin should now be getting ready to board his plane, which departs in about an hour.

Ad Astra, Kyonin! :)gassho1

Gassho
Washin
ST

Meitou
10-15-2019, 06:45 AM
Thank you for taking us along on this journey. Homeward bound now Kyonin, flying through the endlessly spacious sky.
Gassho
Meitou
Satwithyoualltoday lah

Heiso
10-15-2019, 09:29 AM
Thank you for sharing this trip and i'm glad you made it in one piece!

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

Tairin
10-15-2019, 11:01 AM
Wonderful!

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Jundo
10-16-2019, 02:32 AM
I have just received word that Kyonin has made it safely home. He will post greetings tomorrow, as he is exhausted!

The Japanese people send him this final message: Kyonin, Regrese pronto a Japón! ... come back soon! (My wife took this from the monitor when she was volunteering at the Opening Ceremony of the Japan National Olympics three weeks ago ... about 200 Japanese folks dancing traditional Mexican folk songs)

https://youtu.be/8_gLuzsraeA

Gassho, J

STLah

Ishin
10-16-2019, 03:08 AM
Glad he’s home safely.
Gassho
Ishin
Sat/lah

Onka
10-16-2019, 04:29 AM
I have just received word that Kyonin has made it safely home. He will post greetings tomorrow, as he is exhausted!

The Japanese people send him this final message: Kyonin, Regrese pronto a Japón! ... come back soon! ....

https://youtu.be/qLmEyG2FrT8

Gassho, J

STLahWhich one's Dani?

Heiso
10-16-2019, 10:45 AM
Very glad to hear he's home soon. What a trip!

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

Horin
10-16-2019, 01:42 PM
Gassho

Stlah
Ben

Kyonin
10-16-2019, 04:37 PM
Hi guys,

I'm back home. I got here yesterday, but I was very tired due to lack of sleep on the flight back. But I am now back at my desk and taking it really easy for the following days.

So my last few hours in Tsukuba were a little hectic because I needed to pack everything up, have breakfast, do the farewell zazenkai and go to the station to hop onto the bus bound for the airport. I wasn't really aware of what it all meant until I saw Jundo bowing good bye to me:

With this it finally hit me. The adventure was about to end! Tons of emotions got to me because being with Jundo and his family felt so natural and right that saying goodbye was not even a possibility in my mind.

On the way to the airport I felt really sad... maybe a couple of tears showed up.

I got in good time to the airport, I check in my luggage and went to get my last Japanese lunch. Since I love curry and ton katsu, I found a place where they have both in the same plate. It was a huge lunch, but worth it:

Now I need time to process everything I saw and learned while at the same time trying to adapt back to regular life and slowly get back to work. I want to take a break from everything and then go back to this thread and all the photos I took to put all the memories in order.

Thank you all for your support and your love.

Also I want to thank Jundo's family for their patience and for making me feel at home.

Finally, thank you Jundo. For all the time I took from your life to teach me and to designing all the trip. I know this trip is changing a lot of things in my life already.

Gassho,

Kyonin
Sat/LAH

Kyōsen
10-16-2019, 05:58 PM
Thank you for sharing your adventure with us, Kyonin! I'm glad to hear you made it back home safely :)

Gassho,

Sen
SatToday|LAH

Meitou
10-16-2019, 06:20 PM
I'm so happy for you Kyonin, in a way it's as if you did this trip for all of us, it felt so real to me.
Thank you both and Jundo's family and wow that lunch looks so good!
Now rest up a little bit, there must be so much to process.

Gassho
Meitou
satwithyoualltodaylah

Jakuden
10-17-2019, 12:49 AM
This was so wonderful, I agree Meitou it's like it was all of us together going to Japan! It's been enthralling from start to finish. Deep bows.

Gassho
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

Junkyo
10-17-2019, 01:11 AM
I am glad to hear you are safely home Kyonin! It was so wonderful to follow along with you here.

Gassho,

Junkyo
SAT

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Nengei
10-17-2019, 03:53 AM
gassho2
Gassho,
Nengei
Sat. LAH.

Washin
10-17-2019, 05:45 AM
Kyonin, I'm glad to hear you're back home safely.
Looking forward to more of your stories and pics about
this wonderful trip :encouragement:gassho1

Gassho
Washin
SAT

Heisoku
10-19-2019, 09:56 AM
Dear Kyōnin
I hope you are safe after the troubles in Mexico City this week.
Gassho
Heisoku
LAH / not ST yet

Kyonin
10-19-2019, 01:12 PM
Dear Kyōnin
I hope you are safe after the troubles in Mexico City this week.

Hi Heisoku,

I am too far from the hot areas in Mexico this week. I live in the city of Guadalajara, near the Pacific. We have some violence here, but not as harsh as in up north or in the capital city.

So all is good around here.

Still I am chanting our Metta verses for all victims of violence.

Gassho,

Kyonin
Sat/LAH

Kyonin
10-19-2019, 01:16 PM
Hello guys,

This trip was a sensory overload in every sense of the word, but in a good way. I knew that I'd be seeing a lot and learning a lot, so I decided to take a lot of pictures so I can later review them all.

I selected some of the best pictures and little videos and put them in an album. I still have to organize it, but If you want to take a look, go a head :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CpDduexhy7kB7y2t6

I will still be posting on this thread in the following days.

Gassho,

Kyonin
Sat/LAH

Horin
10-19-2019, 01:23 PM
Beautiful impressions, kyonin! Thank you for taking us on that trip.

Gassho
Ben

Stlah

Shinshi
10-19-2019, 02:04 PM
Hi guys,

I'm back home. I got here yesterday, but I was very tired due to lack of sleep on the flight back. But I am now back at my desk and taking it really easy for the following days.

So my last few hours in Tsukuba were a little hectic because I needed to pack everything up, have breakfast, do the farewell zazenkai and go to the station to hop onto the bus bound for the airport. I wasn't really aware of what it all meant until I saw Jundo bowing good bye to me:

With this it finally hit me. The adventure was about to end! Tons of emotions got to me because being with Jundo and his family felt so natural and right that saying goodbye was not even a possibility in my mind.

On the way to the airport I felt really sad... maybe a couple of tears showed up.

I got in good time to the airport, I check in my luggage and went to get my last Japanese lunch. Since I love curry and ton katsu, I found a place where they have both in the same plate. It was a huge lunch, but worth it:

Now I need time to process everything I saw and learned while at the same time trying to adapt back to regular life and slowly get back to work. I want to take a break from everything and then go back to this thread and all the photos I took to put all the memories in order.

Thank you all for your support and your love.

Also I want to thank Jundo's family for their patience and for making me feel at home.

Finally, thank you Jundo. For all the time I took from your life to teach me and to designing all the trip. I know this trip is changing a lot of things in my life already.

Gassho,

Kyonin
Sat/LAH

Thank you so much Kyonin for sharing your journey with us. It has been fun and educational taking the virtual trip with you.

As an aside I am a big fan of both tonkatsu and curry - your meal looks delicious. :) But no BullDog sauce for the Tonkatsu? :)

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

Heisoku
10-19-2019, 03:47 PM
Dear Kyōnin
That’s a relief that you are far from the troubles but still unsettling for people caught among it. Indeed much metta to all caught in such horror.

On the other hand your whirlwind trip looks really amazing. I am so happy for you!

Gassho
Heisoku
Lahst

Kotei
10-19-2019, 04:59 PM
Thank you for the wonderful pictures, Kyonin.
As others said... Thank you for taking us all with you, too.

Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Tairin
10-19-2019, 05:27 PM

I am surprised I’ve never heard of Japanese Curry before this particular thread and after looking it up online I am even more astonished I’d never encountered it.

Today my wife and I took a crack at making it here using a synthesis of several online recipes. What a wonderful dish! I can definitely see myself asking it again as the weather turns cold.

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Onka
10-19-2019, 08:39 PM
Hello guys,

This trip was a sensory overload in every sense of the word, but in a good way. I knew that I'd be seeing a lot and learning a lot, so I decided to take a lot of pictures so I can later review them all.

I selected some of the best pictures and little videos and put them in an album. I still have to organize it, but If you want to take a look, go a head :)

Gassho,

Kyonin
Sat/LAHLovely.
Gassho
Anna.

Meitou
10-19-2019, 08:50 PM
Hello guys,

Gassho,

Kyonin
Sat/LAH

Beautiful photos Kyonin, thank you.
Gassho
Meitou
sattodaylah

Tairin
10-19-2019, 09:45 PM
Wonderful pictures Kyonin. Thank you for sharing them with us.

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Tai Shi
10-20-2019, 01:05 AM
Kyonin, I am happy for your safe return to your home. I hope you found all in order there. I never realized how tall you are. This makes me come to respect you more, for being tall can bring problem. We all have problems and my tall friends in the US are often asked if they played US football or basket ball, or other inappropriate remarks. I do respect you for undertaking such a trip of both visiting Jundo and his family, and sight seeing. Good luck as you return to labor. I found that, though I was on disability insurance, as a young man, and into old age, I always worked, though university trained with 4 degrees, I was willing, and wanted to even empty trash, and clean public bathrooms to help out. No work is below the honest man.
Tai Shi
sat
Gassho

Jundo
10-20-2019, 03:04 AM
I would also like to again thank all the donors who helped make parts of Kyonin's trip possible, and my ability to accompany him a few places. I am pleased to report that, with your help, we kept within the budget and there were no surprises.

He could not have made the pilgrimage without you. gassho1

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Geika
10-20-2019, 06:08 AM
I loved the pictures! Welcome back home! Although, from my end... you didn't really go anywhere... hmmm gassho1

Also... Cyberdyne??? O_O

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skynet_(Terminator)

Gassho
Sat today, lah

Washin
10-20-2019, 06:54 AM

Those photos are beautiful. Thank you for sharing, Kyonin gassho1

Gassho
Washin
ST

Seishin
10-20-2019, 07:20 AM
So thankful to you for sharing your experiences and glad you have returned home safe and sound. Some wonderful pictures in that link that you will be able to treasure for eternity.[monk]

Sat

Shokai
10-21-2019, 07:36 PM
Kyonin;
This has got to be by far the best impersonation of Bodhidharma (Daruma) That I have ever seen.

Are you sure you're not a reincarnation of the Master himself ??

gassho,Shokai
stlah

Byokan
10-21-2019, 08:36 PM

Thank you Kyonin! Oh my gosh, yes, spot-on Daruma impression! Which one is you?? :D

Taigu and Jundo smiling together ... gassho1

Gassho
Byōkan
sat + lah

Nenka
10-21-2019, 08:42 PM
I scrolled through this whole thread with my husband. He particularly got a kick out of the "Star Trek" picture of Kyonin and Jundo at that ...uh....pod hotel. He said, "Oh! You're all a bunch of nerds!" I don't know how he didn't figure that out sooner. :D

Gassho

Nenka

ST

Kyonin
10-29-2019, 05:47 PM
Hi guys,

I made a little video about my experience in Antaiji. It's not a dharma talk at all, just me chatting away for a few minutes.

https://youtu.be/PXAzOcrJVr8

But if you want a better narration about how it is to sit sesshin in Antaji, what better way than to read Uchiyama Roshi explaining in detail. I had that experience and then some because abbot Muho had made some modifications. If you have the book Opening the Hand of Thought, go to Chapter 4.

https://books.google.com.mx/books?id=okE6AwAAQBAJ&lpg=PP1&hl=es&pg=PT84#v=onepage&q&f=false

Soon I'll make another video about my experience in Eiheiji and the typhoon!

Gassho,

Kyonin
Sat/LAH

Kotei
10-29-2019, 06:30 PM
That sounds pretty intense... ;-)
Thank you for your video!
Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Onka
11-08-2019, 11:53 PM
Hi guys,

I made a little video about my experience in Antaiji. It's not a dharma talk at all, just me chatting away for a few minutes.

https://youtu.be/PXAzOcrJVr8

But if you want a better narration about how it is to sit sesshin in Antaji, what better way than to read Uchiyama Roshi explaining in detail. I had that experience and then some because abbot Muho had made some modifications. If you have the book Opening the Hand of Thought, go to Chapter 4.

https://books.google.com.mx/books?id=okE6AwAAQBAJ&lpg=PP1&hl=es&pg=PT84#v=onepage&q&f=false

Soon I'll make another video about my experience in Eiheiji and the typhoon!

Gassho,

Kyonin
Sat/LAH

Brilliant stuff Kyonin!
I have long dreamt of doing a long retreat and always enjoyed reading stories of monks and nuns who live as hermits. Your feedback of doing Sesshin at Antaiji with Muho is very welcome.
I don't think I'll ever get the chance to do a pilgrimage to Japan but I definitely see some long retreats on my own in the future despite my physical limitations.
I look forward to watching the Eiheiji video and participating in the upcoming Treeleaf Rohatsu retreat.
Gassho
Anna
st

Heisoku
11-09-2019, 07:28 PM
Thanks Kyōnin
I know how a flat zafu can really be painful, after mine flattened slowly over a 3 day retreat. It’s now got a cover and is used on a footstool.
Look forward to hearing about Eiheiji.
Gassho
Heisoku
Stlah

Tairin
11-09-2019, 10:30 PM
Thank you for sharing your experience with us Kyonin.

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah