PDA

View Full Version : "Simple Living" - Chapters 17 and 18

Jundo
08-14-2019, 03:12 AM
Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

I will include chapter headings, as we discovered some differences between the US and UK editions regarding chapter order.

Chapter 17 - Exhale Deeply - Breathe for a minute or so from high in the chest, then switch to deep breaths from the diaphram or below the navel in the "Hara." Do you feel a difference in body and mind?

Chapter 18 - Sit Zazen - Please sit Zazen. All activities return to Zazen.

Gassho, J

ST Lah

Doshin
08-14-2019, 03:53 AM
Yes and yes. :)

gassho2
Doshin
St

Horin
08-14-2019, 06:23 AM
Wonderful practice.. chest breathing makes me feel tense, feels unnatural and belly breathing is really relaxing, effortless.. in daily life, in situations when I'm stressed, I fall into chest breathing, when I'm relaxed I can observe lower/belly breathing, also the breath is much deeper and relaxed. The mind state manifests in the body and in the breath, that makes clear that body and mind are not seperate.

That's also why belly breathing is recommended for zazen - to settle into a state of openness and relaxation is much more easier when the body is relaxed; so mind relaxes. And this way all the daily life tasks can become zazen

Gassho,
Ben

St

Enviado desde mi PLK-L01 mediante Tapatalk

Kendrick
08-14-2019, 12:55 PM
Chapter 17: I did this exercise first thing upon getting to my desk at work this morning (moments ago). Filling up my chest makes me feel more alert, and it has a slight undertone of aggression to me - makes me 'puffed up', like one would do to look more intimidating making themselves look bigger to a threat. Belly breathing however, seems relaxed and where my breath goes when it takes it own course. Much more relaxed in fact, lets my abdominals be at ease and my body fall into a gentle position.

Gassho /\
Kendrick
Sat

Tairin
08-15-2019, 01:44 AM
Quite naturally I find that if I am tense or if I am getting stressed about something a deep exhalation almost always provides me with an ability to reset. (Ok. Maybe several deep breaths if I am really holding on)

Sit Zazen? You bet. :encouragement:

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Shōnin Risa Bear
08-15-2019, 04:33 AM
Yes. Yes.

:buddha:

Gassho
Doyu sat and lah today

Heiso
08-15-2019, 10:27 AM
Breathing can be so powerful. I try to do some sort of conscious breathing every day whether that's as advised in the quote above or some sort of yogic (or Wim Hof) style breathing. I also use breathing techniques when I get nervous, when I feel anger rising and when I go to sleep.

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

Seibu
08-15-2019, 04:22 PM
#17: As a martial artist I'm familiar with this breathing technique and, like Neil, I use in in various situations. It has been an invaluable companion in my life.
#18: gassho1 done.

Gassho,
Jack
Sattoday/lah

Meitou
08-15-2019, 06:31 PM
Deep breathing is my go to stress buster for just about everything. And funnily enough, so is just sitting, even though I don't sit with that goal.
Gassho
Meitou
sattodaylah

Tai Do
08-19-2019, 05:38 PM
Tried the deep breaths and it makes a lot of difference if done from the chest or from the abdomen.
Sat zazen.
Gassho
Mateus
Sat/LAH

Kendrick
08-20-2019, 03:44 AM
Ch. 18. Zazen of course!

Gassho
Kendrick
SatTonight

Nenka
08-20-2019, 04:23 AM
#17: As an asthmatic, I always appreciate deep abdominal breathing. It really is a great feeling.

#18: Sat Today!

Gassho

Nenka

Washin
08-20-2019, 07:30 AM
Yes to both 17 and 18! gassho1

Gassho
Washin
ST

Kotei
08-20-2019, 05:48 PM
Hello,

yes, and yes.
For #17 I have a childhood memory of me being at the doctor, he trying to sampling some blood from my arm.
Needle in the vein, but not a single drop of blood coming out. Little Kotei was anxious and breathing very flat.
After several attempts and poking here and there, the doctor instructed my to breathe deep from the diaphragm.
Me relaxing, blood flowing.
I am using breathing this way to calm down. The memory of blood flowing again and cycle cycling again is very visual and powerful to me.

Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Getchi
08-20-2019, 09:27 PM
Yes to both! And hello!

Deep breathing is a calming and inclusive practice, for me it leads well into sitting Zazen.

It has contributed to my stability and helped me manage my migraines pain.

Gassho,
Geoff.

LaH
SatToday.