PDA

View Full Version : ARTS: Your Haiku!

Pages : [1] 2

Kokuu
04-03-2019, 12:34 PM
Please leave your haiku here and I will try and give feedback on as many as I can.

silent sitting
my body becomes
the east wind

(published in Blithe Spirit, the journal of the British Haiku Society)

Gassho
Kokuu

Kotei
04-04-2019, 11:15 AM
Hello, visited the garden this morning...

cherry blossom rain
ripples in the pond
the toads mate

Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Jishin
04-04-2019, 11:22 AM
Chop

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Jishin
04-04-2019, 11:23 AM
Whiteout

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Jakuden
04-04-2019, 12:23 PM
Spring breeze
Rumbling truck engine
Filling potholes.

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

Junkyo
04-04-2019, 01:25 PM
Ice rain falls

Cold winds blow

Northern spring

Gassho,

Junkyo
SAT

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Kokuu
04-04-2019, 03:44 PM
cherry blossom rain
ripples in the pond
the toads mate

Lovely! If it were up to me I might change the last line to 'mating toads' but there is a lovely comparison of ripples going forward and the future consequences of mating.

Chop

Hmmm.

Whiteout

There is actually a classic modern haiku which is the word tundra in the centre of a white page. This is similar.

One word haiku are the poetic equivalent of the all white canvas - novel once but quickly pale on repetition.

Spring breeze
Rumbling truck engine
Filling potholes

I like this! Mostly all lines are best started in lower case and fills might keep it in the present moment better than filling. 'ing' words tend to be used only once in a haiku. But, again, there is a lovely connection between the rumble of the truck and the breeze.

A suggested version:

spring breeze
a rumbling truck
fills potholes

Kokuu
04-04-2019, 03:46 PM
Ice rain falls
Cold winds blow
Northern spring

Lovely! As with Jakuden, lower case beginning each line is more traditional. Simple but effective!

Jishin
04-04-2019, 03:49 PM
I like:

Thunder

Or

Sunrise

Interesting, powerful, speak a thousand words with brevity. They work quite well if the reader knows what they are reading is a haiku like in this thread. In every day use they are not haikus.

My 2 cents.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Horin
04-04-2019, 04:09 PM
plum blossoms in spring
dancing leafs drop in autumn wind
the geese move to the south

Jakuden
04-04-2019, 04:26 PM
spring breeze
a rumbling truck
fills potholes

[claps]gassho1

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

Jishin
04-04-2019, 04:55 PM
Ice rain falls
Cold winds blow
Northern spring

Lovely! As with Jakuden, lower case beginning each line is more traditional. Simple but effective!

I am not the expert by any means. But rain always fall, winds always blow and there always is spring in the north.

rain

winds

northern spring

There is the set up and powerful punch line. Much simpler and effective but that’s just me.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Kotei
04-04-2019, 05:58 PM
cherry blossom rain
ripples in the pond
the toads mate

Lovely! If it were up to me I might change the last line to 'mating toads' but there is a lovely comparison of ripples going forward and the future consequences of mating.

Thank you, I'll go with the suggested 'mating toads', I like the simplicity and sound and the image is still working for me.
Passing away and becoming, meeting in the ripples in the pond... wave and ocean...
Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Junkyo
04-04-2019, 06:08 PM
Ice rain falls
Cold winds blow
Northern spring

Lovely! As with Jakuden, lower case beginning each line is more traditional. Simple but effective!Thank you for the lesson!

Gassho,

Junkyo
Sat

Junkyo
04-04-2019, 06:10 PM
I am not the expert by any means. But rain always fall, winds always blow and there always is spring in the north.

rain

winds

northern spring

There is the set up and powerful punch line. Much simpler and effective but that’s just me.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_Hi Jishin!

I like this too! I have always been told I tend to be too wordy! Perhaps something to think about haha.

Gassho,

Junkyo
Sat

Jishin
04-04-2019, 06:15 PM
Hi Jishin!

I like this too! I have always been told I tend to be too wordy! Perhaps something to think about haha.

Gassho,

Junkyo
Sat

I Ike brevity. All dogmas fall over time. Haikus are no exception. A haiku is what you say it is. But that’s just me.

[emoji2]

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Shinshi
04-04-2019, 11:51 PM
hawks on the wing
in a spring breeze
old leaves stir and dance

Kokuu
04-05-2019, 10:10 AM

rain
winds
northern spring

Yes, this works too. Brevity is punchy but it doesn't mean it is always best.

I generally write and then strip out anything unnecessary but it is a matter of opinion what is necessary and what is unnecessary.

Kokuu
04-05-2019, 10:14 AM
I like:

Thunder

Or

Sunrise

The problem here is that there is no dynamic tension as there is between two parts of a good haiku.

It is great to consider the impact and meaning of a single word but it isn't really a haiku. 'tundra' on a blank page works because of the interplay between the word and the space. Thunder and sunrise do not do that.

I would put into the category of fun to play with as are single colour canvasses, but paling with repetition.

Kokuu
04-05-2019, 10:21 AM
plum blossoms in spring
dancing leafs drop in autumn wind
the geese move to the south

This might be a little wordy, Hishiryo.

Firstly, you don't need spring in addition to plum blossom as that already sets the season as spring.

Also, a haiku is generally set in one moment in time and place, so usually one season. There are exceptions though.

Putting this in autumn it would be best just with the last part:

leaves dance
on the wind
departing geese

Kokuu
04-05-2019, 10:23 AM
hawks on the wing
in a spring breeze
old leaves stir and dance

I really like the idea! Maybe a bit briefer and make the connection clear?

hawk on the wing
last year's leaves
live again

Horin
04-05-2019, 10:26 AM
This might be a little wordy, Hishiryo.

Firstly, you don't need spring in addition to plum blossom as that already sets the season as spring.

Also, a haiku is generally set in one moment in time and place, so usually one season. There are exceptions though.

Putting this in autumn it would be best just with the last part:

leaves dance
on the wind
departing geeseThank you for that response, Kokuu - i understand :-)

Gassho,
Ben

St

Jishin
04-05-2019, 04:30 PM
The problem here is that there is no dynamic tension as there is between two parts of a good haiku.

It is great to consider the impact and meaning of a single word but it isn't really a haiku. 'tundra' on a blank page works because of the interplay between the word and the space. Thunder and sunrise do not do that.

I would put into the category of fun to play with as are single colour canvasses, but paling with repetition.

thunder

This is a great haiku and this is why:

the before and after silence of thunder is not the same.

sleeping silence

thunder

startled awake silence

The silences are very different and provide the tension for a good haiku. "thunder" is the punch line and the second silence with the "aha" moment. Unenlightened vs enlightened silence. There is also mention of season.

Same goes for the next haiku:

Sunrise

There is dark and bright light before and after sunrise. The punchline is "Sunrise" and the "aha" moment is the light that comes afterwards. Another great haiku. There is also mention of time/season.

Creativity is fun and a haiku is a haiku when someone calls it a haiku.

My 2 cents.

Gassho, Jishin, ST

Shinshi
04-05-2019, 06:13 PM
I really like the idea! Maybe a bit briefer and make the connection clear?

hawk on the wing
last year's leaves
live again

Thank you for the feedback Kokuu.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

Mitka
04-06-2019, 03:15 AM
Off-the-cuff haiku after zazenkai, please be nice [morehappy].

plodding thoughts
shadow and incense smoke
the watcher watches

Gassho,
Mitka
Sat

Teiro
04-06-2019, 12:43 PM
I have not the faintest idea about haikus, but I try it anyway. :)

red-dressed sun flows
into star-sprinkled night
I sleep

Gassho
Teiro

Sat

Geika
04-08-2019, 03:36 AM
Moonlight cuts rivers
Out of dark slopes on the ground
Bright and stark like ice

Sat today, lah

Kokuu
04-08-2019, 04:33 PM
Moonlight cuts rivers
Out of dark slopes on the ground
Bright and stark like ice

Lovely, Geika, but no need to stick to 5-7-5 syllables.

red-dressed sun flows
into star-sprinkled night
I sleep

Sometimes not knowing is the best! Very good effort!

plodding thoughts
shadow and incense smoke
the watcher watches

Is good, Mitka! I wonder if 'rising thoughts' might be even stronger to convey the relationship between the thoughts and incense?

Kokuu
04-08-2019, 04:37 PM
The silences are very different and provide the tension for a good haiku. "thunder" is the punch line and the second silence with the "aha" moment. Unenlightened vs enlightened silence. There is also mention of season.

I agree but not sure the reader will get that. However, you could express it...

thunder
the silence before
and after

If haiku were just one word I doubt they would have survived for so long and spread to so many different countries and cultures. We need something more to say what it was about *that* thunder and your reaction to it that makes it different from any other moment of thunder. What was it about *that* particular sunrise.

The interest is in the specificity rather than generality.

Gassho
Kokuu

Jishin
04-08-2019, 05:16 PM
thunder
the silence before
and after

This is a very nice Haiku Kokuu. I agree with what you say about Haikus.

Gassho, Jishin, ST

Gero
04-08-2019, 05:27 PM
to escape massive clouds of cherry blossom fragrance
I retrace my steps over the bridge
as the brook giggles at my retreat

Actually this (almost) happened to me 90 minutes ago while walking our dog. When I crossed a tiny bridge over a minor brook, the way led me along the banks which are just plastered with blooming cherry trees. The fragrance got so overpowering that I really considered to flee that intensity.

Gassho
Gero

(sat)

Teiro
04-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Thanks a lot for your kind feedback, Kokuu. gassho1

But surely there are some rules for Haiku I should know about, like the 5-7-5 syllable thing I just’ve read about on Wikipedia.
Do you have any suggestions where I can find some kind of “how-to” for Haiku?

Oops... I just’ve found your introductions on how to write Haiku... :reading:
Thanks for the teaching, Kokuu.

Gassho
Teiro

Sat/Lah

Geika
04-09-2019, 06:16 PM
Thank you, Kokuu

Gassho, sat today, lah

Kyoshin
04-10-2019, 03:03 AM
winter
in Saigon
summer heat
Gassho
Nick
Satlah

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Jakuden
04-10-2019, 12:07 PM
corn field stubble
sharp eyes find gold
wild turkey strut

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Junkyo
04-10-2019, 03:23 PM
foggy street
sunlight beams
roadside clarity

Gassho,
Junkyo
SAT

Hoseki
04-11-2019, 06:43 PM
meeting a fan -
he greets them with
blood stained hands

gassho
Hoseki
Sattoday

Tai Do
04-14-2019, 07:41 PM
sparrow in the sun
flying hawk
autumn in the cerrado

In Portuguese (original):
pardal ao sol
carcará voando
outono no cerrado

I tried to convey the feeling of impermanence and fragility of life linking the approach of the carcará to the coming of autumns, witch represents the beginning of the dry season in the Brazilian Cerrado, from middle autumn (April) to middle spring (November). I don't know how to translate carcará (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_crested_caracara) in English, so I translated as hawk, but its not the same species and hawk don't convey the same feeling (caracarás are know to be resistantand adaptable as they prey and eat any kind of animal, prospering during the dry season that treatens other animals). As both the sparrow and the carcará are not seasonal birds, I used the autumn to convey the seasonal feeling.
Hope it makes some sense as a haiku.

Gassho,
Mateus
Sat today

Kokuu
04-15-2019, 11:37 AM
to escape massive clouds of cherry blossom fragrance
I retrace my steps over the bridge
as the brook giggles at my retreat

Woah! Some great images in there, Gero, but is getting awful big for a haiku! Try to pick two parts and work with that.
For example...

cherry blossom
I retrace my steps
over the bridge

winter
in Saigon
summer heat

Lovely, Nick. You might want to consider using another word other than summer to describe the heat but it works well anyway.

Kokuu
04-15-2019, 11:42 AM
corn field stubble
sharp eyes find gold
wild turkey strut

I like the images, Jakuden, but it sounds a bit stilted. One part should be a fragment and the phrase part read like a sentence. Otherwise we get three rather choppy lines.
For example...

wild turkey strut
sharp eyes find gold
among the stubble

foggy street
sunlight beams
roadside clarity

As with Jakuden, the images are there but the poem feels rather choppy. Are the sunlight beams from a car or the sun?
The second part needs to feel more like a sentence.
E.g.

foggy street
beams of sunlight
clear the road

That may not be quite what you wanted to say so experiment yourself.

Junkyo
04-15-2019, 11:47 AM
I like the images, Jakuden, but it sounds a bit stilted. One part should be a fragment and the phrase part read like a sentence. Otherwise we get three rather choppy lines.
For example...

wild turkey strut
sharp eyes find gold
among the stubble

foggy street
sunlight beams
roadside clarity

As with Jakuden, the images are there but the poem feels rather choppy. Are the sunlight beams from a car or the sun?
The second part needs to feel more like a sentence.
E.g.

foggy street
beams of sunlight
clear the road

That may not be quite what you wanted to say so experiment yourself.Hi Kokuu,

Foggy street

Sunlight beams

Roadside clarity

Was mine Haha. I think you joined two separate posts!

The idea in mine was to relate a foggy street to a mind that was obscured by the defilements, the sunlight beams are alluding to wisdom, and of course roadside clarity is allegory to enlightenment.

Gassho,

Junkyo
SAT

Kokuu
04-15-2019, 11:52 AM
meeting a fan -
he greets them with
blood stained hands

Dark! But a good haiku, or at least senryu (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senry%C5%AB) (senryu is the term given to haiku which are more focussed on human behaviour and quirks rather than nature and lacking a season word).

sparrow in the sun
flying hawk
autumn in the cerrado

It does make sense, Mateus. Thank you. And yes, often hard to translate animals into something English.

All of the elements are there but it doesn't quite flow as a poem yet. Perhaps there needs to be a linkage between hawk and sparrow, even if it is implicit?

a hawk and sparrow
share the sun
cerrado autumn

cerrado autumn
hawk eyes pick out
a sunlit sparrow

Just ideas! A lovely glimpse into your natural world, which is one of the joys of haiku!

Kokuu
04-15-2019, 11:55 AM
Do you have any suggestions where I can find some kind of “how-to” for Haiku?

Hi Teiro

Yes, I left some instructions and hopefully made clear about the 5-7-5 aspect.

This is also a good guide for haiku writing: https://ahapoetry.com/Bare%20Bones/bbtoc%20intro.html

Gassho
Kokuu

Tai Do
04-16-2019, 03:20 PM
sparrow in the sun
flying hawk
autumn in the cerrado

It does make sense, Mateus. Thank you. And yes, often hard to translate animals into something English.

All of the elements are there but it doesn't quite flow as a poem yet. Perhaps there needs to be a linkage between hawk and sparrow, even if it is implicit?

a hawk and sparrow
share the sun
cerrado autumn

cerrado autumn
hawk eyes pick out
a sunlit sparrow

Just ideas! A lovely glimpse into your natural world, which is one of the joys of haiku!

Thank you, Kokuu. I can see the lack of linkage between the hawk and the sparrow. I like your versions better.

This was a scene I saw while going to work. I’ll try to be more attentive to let other haiku find my mind.
Gassho,
Mateus
Sat/LAH

Kyoshin
04-20-2019, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Kokuu!

Gassho
Nick
Satlah

Teiro
05-19-2019, 06:03 AM
Thank you, Kokuu!

I feel somewhat restricted with the 5-7-5 approach. But as far as I understand it, it is not the only way to write Haiku -especially not in English.

So here is an other try. It came to me during a morning walk and it probably doesn’t qualify as a Haiku ;)

woodpecker pecking, cuckoo in the distance
dappled green sun light shades of blue
heart beats

Gassho
Teiro

Sat

Gero
05-25-2019, 08:50 PM
Thank you, Kokuu!

I feel somewhat restricted with the 5-7-5 approach. But as far as I understand it, it is not the only way to write Haiku -especially not in English.

So here is an other try. It came to me during a morning walk and it probably doesn’t qualify as a Haiku ;)

woodpecker pecking, cuckoo in the distance
dappled green sun light shades of blue
heart beats

Gassho
Teiro

Sat

Wow! I do not feel qualified to rate any haiku, but this one immediately spoke to me. So tranquil images yet really moving. [gassholook]

Teiro
05-26-2019, 08:41 AM
Thank you, Gero, for your kind words. gassho1

Wow! I do not feel qualified to rate any haiku, but this one immediately spoke to me. So tranquil images yet really moving. [gassholook]

Gassho
Teiro
Sat

Kokuu
06-03-2019, 11:29 AM
Hi Teiro!

Generally, when people write haiku in western languages they use less then 5-7-5 syllables since Japanese sound units are shorter than our syllables. We also try to use only two images in one poem, although there may be exceptions.

If you want to write longer poems, that is fine. You do not have to be restricted to haiku. In Japanese culture, you may want to look at tanka (http://tankaonline.com/Quick%20Start%20Guide.htm) which take the form of five lines and 5-7-5-7-7 sound units. As for haiku, western languages tend to go with less.

You have some great images in your poem and could easily make two haiku! For example:

dappled green sun
a woodpecker pecking
heart beats

cuckoo
in the distance
light shades of blue

If you wish to see some German language haiku to see how things are done in what I am assuming is your native language, I would recommend the journal Chrysanthemum: http://www.chrysanthemum-haiku.net/de/current-issue.html

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Teiro
06-03-2019, 02:19 PM
Thank you Kokuu for your good advice. I will check out Chrysanthemum. However, I actually feel much more comfortable writing in English - but I have absolutely no idea why that’s so.... It just is. :)

Gassho
Teiro

Who will sit tonight

Tai Shi
06-13-2019, 08:16 AM
Morning news sweeps day
As I linger in my cave,
No gift above, nothing saved,

Day unfolds in blue
Sky with information done
In print black as rave,

I wander pages
With my hand so strong and weak
Morning news again is grave.

Tai Shi
sat/lah
Gassho
My poem

"June 13
Directly it is said that not a single thing exists, and yet we
see the entire universe nothing has ever been hidden."
ed. by Josh Bartok

Getchi
06-15-2019, 10:37 PM
The dog barks,
possum hears it,
Home again.

One fat crow,
one dead branch
the chicks are due!!!

Gassho,
GEoff.
SAtToday
LaH.

Heiso
06-19-2019, 09:33 AM
summer rain
indoor ants
waiting

Shinshi
06-26-2019, 06:34 PM
Summer breeze rustling through trees
Song sparrow sings.
Never the same note twice

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

Onka
07-15-2019, 08:12 AM
This is my first attempt at a Haiku. It was inspired by an experience I had yesterday while sitting Zazen on the bank of our bottom dam amongst a Dry Eucalypt Forest.

Azure Kingfisher
Piercing water interrupts
Zazen is transformed

Gassho
Anna

Sat today

Geika
07-15-2019, 10:30 PM
Lovely, Anna

Gassho

Sat today, lah

Rob H
07-16-2019, 06:17 AM
Sitting in zazen
Thoughts and feelings drift away
At one with Nature.

Gassho.
Rob.

ST

Kotei
07-25-2019, 08:36 AM
pond and cloud and sky
dragonfly
fly, dragon - fly

Gassho
Kotei
sat

Onka
07-27-2019, 11:21 PM
Attempt No.2

Wabi-sabi Self
Zazen practice diligence
Brings peace to the world

Gassho
Anna

Sat today

krissydear
07-29-2019, 06:43 AM
first time as well. these are all lovely. here is my try:

evening zazen
sitting together, now
many will be (n)one

[gassholook]
thank you for your time
gassho
krissy

Shugen
08-06-2019, 03:30 AM
first time as well. these are all lovely. here is my try:

evening zazen
sitting together, now
many will be (n)one

[gassholook]
thank you for your time
gassho
krissy

:)

Tai Shi
08-06-2019, 02:07 PM
Young finch batters gold
Against window's bird in fear,
Renouncing bright sun.

Tai Shi
sat/lah
Gassho

Tai Shi
09-24-2019, 09:40 PM
Morning stomach fill
With grain, milk, yogurt—fine juice!
Nourishing self, and fine mind,

Sit quietly before White
Buddha? Purity, Wisdom
Body breath quiet

We will fill sixth mind,
Mindfulness wisdom gone
Before, with knowledge!

Tai Shi
sat
Gassho

Heiso
09-25-2019, 03:15 PM
A packed carriage
confused faces
London in the rain

Heiso
09-28-2019, 10:32 AM
Garden spider
Seeking cover
Late September.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Heiso
01-13-2020, 07:49 PM
Chanting sutras
Robe on head
Fancy a sandwich?

- my wife came into the room mid jukai ceremony to ask if I wanted a sandwich, she didn't bat an eyelid that I was gasshoing and chanting or taking precepts
. I could then hear her swearing in the kitchen trying to open a pickle jar. I found the juxtaposition amusing.

Onka
01-14-2020, 12:52 AM
Haha! Brilliant!

Kokuu
02-28-2020, 09:56 PM
Quite minimal but imagine you can all guess
what it is about!

one footstep
after another
temple bell

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday/lah-

Shoki
02-29-2020, 02:57 PM
Nine Canada geese
Descending to land, wings still
Paying attention

Gassho
stLAH
James

Tai Shi
03-02-2020, 01:58 PM
Morning yellow disk
Into difficult sky rises
Before back into spring.

Another silver
Moon descends in favor
Of spring snow melt .

Tai Shi
sat
Gassho

Fâtih
04-29-2020, 02:56 PM
I wrote it in Turkish but will try to translate English:

tunç güz yaprağı
soğuk toprak üstünde
düşüyor hala

bronze leaf of autumn
on the cold earth
still falling

Horin
05-15-2020, 04:57 PM
I tried another autumn haiku in spanish:

hojas de colores cayendo
último baile en el viento
el invierno nunca llega

---

colored leaves falling
last dance in the wind
winter never comes

Gassho
Ben

Stlah

Enviado desde mi PLK-L01 mediante Tapatalk

Seikan
05-20-2020, 01:19 AM
Wanted to share this older haiku as I come back to it myself whenever I have a bout of insomnia...

awake at 3 a.m.—
the summer moon
in a starless sky

Gassho,
Rob

SatToday

Kokuu
05-20-2020, 11:00 AM
awake at 3 a.m.—
the summer moon
in a starless sky

Lovely!

Heiso
05-20-2020, 02:43 PM
I tried another autumn haiku in spanish:

hojas de colores cayendo
último baile en el viento
el invierno nunca llega

---

colored leaves falling
last dance in the wind
winter never comes

Gassho
Ben

Stlah

Enviado desde mi PLK-L01 mediante TapatalkNice! I don't know how you even start to write haiku in your second and third languages!

Gassho

Heiso
StLah

Horin
05-20-2020, 03:32 PM
Nice! I don't know how you even start to write haiku in your second and third languages!

Gassho

Heiso
StLah

Sent from my E5823 using TapatalkHaha I like challenges, Heiso

Gassho

Ben

Stlah

Enviado desde mi PLK-L01 mediante Tapatalk

Snark
07-18-2020, 07:32 PM
cherry blossoms---
up to my ankles
in moonlight

Gassho,

dan.

Shōnin Risa Bear
07-18-2020, 07:59 PM
What do I do next?
Three sentences now.

gassho
shonin sat today and lah

Kokuu
07-18-2020, 10:15 PM
cherry blossoms---
up to my ankles
in moonlight

Fine work! Is that original or did you draw on the poem by Jim Kacian (editor of this lovely anthology (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25622851-haiku-in-english)):

ground fog
up to my ankles
in moonlight

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Snark
07-19-2020, 07:22 AM
Fine work! Is that original or did you draw on the poem by Jim Kacian (editor of this lovely anthology (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25622851-haiku-in-english)):

ground fog
up to my ankles
in moonlight

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Thank you, Kokuu. I hadn't read Jim's ku, but he is a brilliant haikuist. if I had have read it I guess it would be honkidori?

Gassho,

dan.

Kokuu
07-19-2020, 01:11 PM
Hi Dan

These kind of convergent haiku happen sometimes. Is interesting and not a bad thing to be writing in a similar way to someone as proficient as Jim!

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Jishin
07-19-2020, 04:32 PM
Ouch ouch ouch before

Ouch ouch ouch after

Eye surgery

Tai Shi
07-19-2020, 05:38 PM
May I relive
My days absolute with joy
Knowing mindfulness.

Tai Shi
sat/ lah
Gassho

Tai Shi
07-19-2020, 05:45 PM
Walls with wonder live
Each step magnified again
And, again, I can see.

Tai Shi
sat
Gassho

Seikan
07-19-2020, 05:51 PM
cherry blossoms---
up to my ankles
in moonlight

Love this one Dan. Well done!

Gassho,
Rob

-st-

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Snark
07-19-2020, 06:41 PM
Love this one Dan. Well done!

Gassho,
Rob

-st-

Thank you for reading it, Rob, and your kind words!

Gassho,

dan.

Snark
07-19-2020, 07:33 PM
Ouch ouch ouch before

Ouch ouch ouch after

Eye surgery

not before
not after
Summer rain

*after Jishin

Gassho,

dan. sattoday

Blake
07-26-2020, 01:43 AM
frosted grass tips
a lone crow calls
atop the wooden fence

Tai Shi
07-26-2020, 03:06 PM
Morning mist, clouds over
Sunset hills, green green sea
Crops flourish like fish.
Tai Shi
sat/ lah
Gassho

Kyoshin
08-05-2020, 02:17 PM
Country sounds tonight
Saigon's motorbikes got lost
In frogs and hard rain

Gassho
Kyōshin
Satlah

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Kokuu
08-05-2020, 02:24 PM
Country sounds tonight
Saigon's motorbikes got lost
In frogs and hard rain

Thank you, Kyoshin!

Just a reminder there is no need to use the 5/7/5 syllable pattern unless you want. 5/7/5 Japanese sound units generally translates to fewer syllables in English and syllable counting is far less important than the actual poetic content.

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday/lah-

Kyoshin
08-05-2020, 02:26 PM
Thank you, Kyoshin!

Just a reminder there is no need to use the 5/7/5 syllable pattern unless you want. 5/7/5 Japanese sound units generally translates to fewer syllables in English and syllable counting is far less important than the actual poetic content.

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday/lah-Haha, I wasn't actually aiming for a 5/7/5 but I got one anyway! [emoji16]

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Kokuu
08-05-2020, 04:59 PM
Haha, I wasn't actually aiming for a 5/7/5 but I got one anyway!

Ha! That's fine!

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday/lah-

nknibbs
08-26-2020, 01:49 PM
What better
Embodiment of now—
A tickle on a lip

Gassho,
Nick
SatLah

Shokai
08-31-2020, 12:18 PM
You think you are here
Then something happens, kerplunk;
every day is a gift.

The barn is burnt down
Now we see the fields beyond,
There is a full moon.

Foggy lens replaced,
Was blind but now I can see;
Amazing autumn.

Love you all; gassho, Shokai
stlah

Tai Shi
08-31-2020, 06:18 PM
I also sat this morning
Shokai taught me how
To be patient

Jundo taught me how
How to be polite

All the wonderful people
The best more music

In my heart, is this my Buddhism

Tell me teachers
This is my delicate Pearl
Marjorie best forever

Friends, B F F E, we were
Children in our apple tree

Near day lilies, where you
Planted our Father’s Day

Gift from Laurel Ann
Aspens still growing

From volunteer roots
Thank you Jundo
Thank you Shokai
For patience, persistence
For manners

For ethereal nothingness
Written in more than
Three lines

Gassho
sat lah

Heiso
08-31-2020, 06:44 PM
Last day of summer--
Digging up leeks
somewhere a bonfire burns.

Gassho

Heiso
StLah

Shokai
09-01-2020, 02:03 AM
Thank you Taishi, you are very welcome

Getchi
09-04-2020, 10:18 AM
I have one car,
And here I live.
Stars pass just like before.

Shokai
09-04-2020, 07:12 PM
Read Gustav's book, wow,
witness to his becoming;
The moon is clearer.

Kokuu
10-23-2020, 10:24 PM
I recently had a poem of mine translated into Chinese which is nice, even though I cannot read it myself!

elephant skull
the looming shadow
of Kilimanjaro

(originally published in The Mamba (https://africahaikunetwork.wordpress.com), March 2018)

Chinese Translation (Traditional)

大象頭骨
乞力馬扎羅山隱約可見
的陰影

Chinese Translation (Simplified)

大象头骨
乞力马扎罗山隐约可见
的阴影

(https://neverendingstoryhaikutanka.blogspot.com/2020/10/butterfly-dream-elephant-skull-haiku-by.html)

Gassho
Kokuu

Heiso
10-25-2020, 04:42 PM
I recently had a poem of mine translated into Chinese which is nice, even though I cannot read it myself!

elephant skull
the looming shadow
of Kilimanjaro

(originally published in The Mamba (https://africahaikunetwork.wordpress.com), March 2018)

大象頭骨
乞力馬扎羅山隱約可見
的陰影

大象头骨
乞力马扎罗山隐约可见
的阴影

(https://neverendingstoryhaikutanka.blogspot.com/2020/10/butterfly-dream-elephant-skull-haiku-by.html)

Gassho
KokuuThat is very cool!

Gassho

Heiso
StLah

Jakuden
10-25-2020, 10:47 PM

elephant skull
the looming shadow
of Kilimanjaro

大象頭骨
乞力馬扎羅山隱約可見
的陰影

大象头骨
乞力马扎罗山隐约可见
的阴影

Gassho
Kokuu

Yes, very cool! Why the translation?

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

Tai Shi
10-25-2020, 10:51 PM
Wonderful! Interesting too. Sheds light on Chinese Culture. How did you find out they publish Poets from your Britton? Do you speak and write Chinese? No. Just very nervous be cause I see one of my Dr this morning. Great in English. Sorry.
Gassho
sat
Taishi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tai Shi
10-31-2020, 03:00 AM
Reflected fall trees, pools
On fire, as children seek candy,
Sweet days of November ahead.
Gassho
sat/ lah
Tai Shi

Tai Shi
10-31-2020, 03:23 AM
I peer into autumn night sitting
On my easy chair, no COVID
In my site no Covid no pain
In dense days ahead developing
Dire Americans, Joe will deliver.
Be in South Dakota to pause.
Covid 19 is worse than ever,
We need politicians without death.
Gassho
st/ lah
Tai Shi

Tai Shi
10-31-2020, 03:35 AM
I fold my warm fingers, warm
With safety while others suffer
Am I a cheat or liar, my mind restless without honesty, I seek only loving kindness Metta Sutra May there be care in the eyes of all parents, May all
Children love and be loved. May mother’s days be left quiet, slow and happy.
Gassho
st/ lah
Tai Shi

Kokuu
10-31-2020, 11:44 PM
Lovely, Tai Shi! Do you think those should be in the poetry section rather than haiku?

Hallowe'en lantern
even the skeletons
socially distance

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Kokuu
10-31-2020, 11:48 PM
How did you find out they publish Poets from your Britton? Do you speak and write Chinese?

Yes, very cool! Why the translation?

Chen-ou Liu, who writes the blog, is a bilingual haiku poet who takes English Language Haiku and translates them into Chinese, presumably for a mostly Chinese audience.

So, I potentially have 1.4 billion new readers! [morehappy]

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Tai Shi
11-07-2020, 10:39 AM
Dear friend, Kokuu please move my lines to poetry, I only now learn
Of Haiku un riddled un bride led
She has been mother of our child.

Gassho
Folded hands
sat
Tai Shi

Tai Shi
11-07-2020, 10:42 AM
I fold my warm fingers, warm
With safety while others suffer
Am I a cheat or liar, my mind restless without honesty, I seek only loving kindness Metta Sutra. May there be care in the eyes of all parents, May all
Children love and be loved. May mother’s days be left quiet, slow and happy.
Gassho
st/ lah
Tai Shi

Tai Shi
11-08-2020, 10:33 AM
My warm inner world of pain
Waits for fall colors of my throat
For MS medication which takes
My inner skeleton to relaxation!

Gassho

sat// lah

Tai Shi
Calm Poetry

Tai Shi
11-08-2020, 10:43 AM
Invisible white world of Tonglen
Revolts with blue smoke revoked
My essence in dry uneven path
To harrowing hell of medium mind!

Gassho
sat // lah

Tai Shi

Calm Poetry

Tai Shi
11-08-2020, 10:47 AM
Each day I sit free to brown
Depth of Autumn days with
Hope of moon I cannot see.

Gassho
Bent from arthritis

sat // lah
Tai Shi
Calm Poetry

Rousei
11-08-2020, 12:26 PM
Haiku

Thinking shrinks the world
Non-thinking expands the world
Simply be as thus

Gassho
Mark
SatToday

Tai Shi
11-08-2020, 01:43 PM
The flip-flop is necessary. Pain is neither think nor feeling; it just is requires special treatment of both breaking dual realizations; thus level 10 pain well handled in body with MS medications, feeling is thinking, feeling is thinking, thinking is feeling. This is not the poem, this is the poem, light is dark, dark is light there is no distinction. Autumn the time of year, the protagnist cannot see the moon because his neck bones are locked in place, spine at 50 degrees. Body slumps to the left, sometimes the protagnist just falls over. How would you suggest person might not coplain while judging reality? I see your complaint, so please address constructive criticism while now you know the reality. I suggest lines one foot step before the other-- how many poets have used the same lines of this poem? Nice alterations--I like it. See 12 step recovery throughout literature, "one step before the other." Ha I like the humor, "Fancy a sandwich." Sandwich a fancy. This is real poetry.
This is literary criticism; is it not poetry. Allow Jundo, no harm done, just observations from one who knows. This was my job for 48 years. I worked longer than most members were, are alive "pitty," what's the harm, what is Autumn, Spring, Winter, and All? Spring and Fall. "Marget why are you grieving/ for golden groves unleaving...?" GM Hopkins. "It is Margret who you grieve for." "Thinking shrinks the world" turns duality on its head. "Each day in Autumn, Silver Moon I cannot bend my head" Do you think this merits a look" More the black night enshouds my "face."
Gassho

sat// lah

Tai Shi
Calm Poetry
I can breath.

Kokuu
11-08-2020, 02:21 PM
How would you suggest person might not coplain while judging reality? I see your complaint, so please address constructive criticism while now you know the reality.

Which comment are you referring to here, Tai Shi? I cannot see what you are referencing.

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Tai Shi
11-08-2020, 03:36 PM
My mistake, I've been asked not post but two poems a pay, and I suspect that mean Haiku as well. See you soon, back in two weaks.
Gassho
sat/ lah
Tai Shi

Jeff Naylor
11-08-2020, 07:47 PM
I walked to work,
The sign, "limited vision",
Passed under, unseen.

Gassho
Sat/ lah

Rousei
11-09-2020, 03:10 AM
The monkey mind runs
Reality asunder
In stillness it blends

Gassho
Mark
ST

Heiso
11-11-2020, 04:59 PM
Browning leaves
and damp decay
I put my beds to sleep

Gassho

Heiso

StLah

Seikan
11-11-2020, 05:18 PM
Browning leaves
and damp decay
I put my beds to sleep

Gassho

Heiso

StLahNice one Heiso! It's particularly warm here today, and the smell of our decaying garden beds is drifting through the house, so this resonated quite well with me. :)

Gassho,
Rob

-stlah-

Heiso
11-11-2020, 05:32 PM
Oh thanks, Rob.

It's damp and squelchy here, quite cold with the smell of bonfires in the air.

Gassho

Heiso
StLah

Jeff Naylor
11-20-2020, 09:07 AM
Its no fire, no touch.
c
o
l
d
light
gives
no
warmth, no love-
Only false reprieve.

Kokuu
11-21-2020, 03:26 PM
Two poems in issue 132 of hedgerow (https://hedgerowhaiku.com/2020/11/06/132-is-out/) journal:

late summer
I play Coltrane
on repeat

too soon for another prophet morning blackbird

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Seikan
11-21-2020, 03:51 PM
Two poems in issue 132 of hedgerow (https://hedgerowhaiku.com/2020/11/06/132-is-out/) journal:

late summer
I play Coltrane
on repeat

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Congrats on the publication Kokuu! Those are such lovely Haiku. I particularly like the single line piece—well done! ;)

Gassho,
Rob

-stlah-

Jundo
11-22-2020, 01:02 AM

late summer
I play Coltrane
on repeat

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Coltrane! [gassholook]

Congratulations.

Gassho, J

STLah

Kokuu
11-23-2020, 09:13 PM
I thought you might like that, Jundo! And thank you, Rob!

This one is for our new unsui, Kotei:

raven moon
a friend wears his robes
for the first time

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Kotei
11-24-2020, 11:34 AM
Thank you Kokuu.

Certain views of beautiful Japanese Gardens invoke a feeling of connectedness, of reaching somehow far beyond the surface.
Your Haiku, this one too, are doing the same to me.

Deep bows,
Kotei sat/lah today.

I thought you might like that, Jundo! And thank you, Rob!

This one is for our new unsui, Kotei:

raven moon
a friend wears his robes
for the first time

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Tai Shi
11-24-2020, 12:01 PM
Soft light
Heat in November
Snap of chill,

Days shorten,
In triangle
Of light.

Gassho
sat / lah
Tai Shi

Tai Shi
11-24-2020, 12:05 PM
Coltrane's contribution
Never sought,
his not endured.

Gassho
sat
Lah
Tai Shi

Sent from my iPhone usiCapitalalk Pro

Tai Shi
12-28-2020, 04:00 AM
Friendship, move,
please move
poems to poetry.
I’m not sure
How to proceed.

Gassho
sat
Tai Shi

PeaceMan
12-28-2020, 04:47 AM
Winter solstice

The longest night passed
While I sat by the fire
Learning to let go

Jon
Sat
gassho2

PeaceMan
12-29-2020, 03:45 AM
cold December day -
leaves crunching underfoot
prepare the way for spring

Jon
Sat

Tai Shi
12-30-2020, 01:16 PM
This December 30, 2020
I have lived out my last precept
I have given my life away to loved ones,
Gassho
sat/ lah
Tai Shi

Tai Shi
01-02-2021, 01:13 AM
Shokai, I finally get it, cataract surgery; I've had both eyes, ah breathtaking when I could see again.
Gassho
sat/lah
Tai Shi

Tai Shi
01-02-2021, 01:21 AM

late summer
I play Coltrane
on repeat

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-
Thank you Kokuu for these Haiku.
Jazz, this is my least understood music. I listen to A Love Song Supreme by John Coltrane. Does a man have no right to pass up those passions? Yet, we do question. What if we just listen to the music?
Gassho
sat/lah

Tai Shi
01-02-2021, 02:30 AM
The flip-flop is necessary. Pain is neither think nor feeling; it just is requires special treatment of both breaking dual realizations; thus level 10 pain well handled in body with MS medications, feeling is thinking, feeling is thinking, thinking is feeling. This is not the poem, this is the poem, light is dark, dark is light there is no distinction. Autumn the time of year, the protagnist cannot see the moon because his neck bones are locked in place, spine at 50 degrees. Body slumps to the left, sometimes the protagnist just falls over. How would you suggest person might not coplain while judging reality? I see your complaint, so please address constructive criticism while now you know the reality. I suggest lines one foot step before the other-- how many poets have used the same lines of this poem? Nice alterations--I like it. See 12 step recovery throughout literature, "one step before the other." Ha I like the humor, "Fancy a sandwich." Sandwich a fancy. This is real poetry.
This is literary criticism; is it not poetry. Allow Jundo, no harm done, just observations from one who knows. This was my job for 48 years. I worked longer than most members were, are alive "pitty," what's the harm, what is Autumn, Spring, Winter, and All? Spring and Fall. "Marget why are you grieving/ for golden groves unleaving...?" GM Hopkins. "It is Margret who you grieve for." "Thinking shrinks the world" turns duality on its head. "Each day in Autumn, Silver Moon I cannot bend my head" Do you think this merits a look" More the black night enshouds my "face."

Gassho

sat// lah

Tai Shi
Calm Poetry
I can breath.

This is definitely
No Haiku
No calm night

Gassho
sat/lah

Jakuden
02-28-2021, 06:38 PM
melting snow
among decayed leaves
a crocus blossom

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday

Seikan
02-28-2021, 07:01 PM
melting snow
among decayed leaves
a crocus blossom

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatTodayLovely one Jakuden! And exactly the kind of image that we often need at this time of year. :)

gassho1

Gassho,
Seikan

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Jakuden
02-28-2021, 07:02 PM
Lovely one Jakuden! And exactly the kind of image that we often need at this time of year. :)

gassho1

Gassho,
Seikan

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

gassho2

Kokuu
03-04-2021, 12:24 PM
night rain
in a whisky glass
the windswept moor

pluie nocturne
dans un verre à whisky
la lande balayée par le vent

Gassho
Kokuu

Seikan
03-12-2021, 07:26 PM
night rain
in a whisky glass
the windswept moor

So, so good Kokuu! Such a great sense of atmosphere. :)

Gassho,
Seikan

-stlah-

Tai Shi
03-12-2021, 07:57 PM
Thunder, Storm rages.
Whisky glass tipped
To mouth in pain.

Gassho
sat/ lah
Tai Shi

Tai Shi
03-12-2021, 08:01 PM
Been there
Done that in tears
Tree swept away.
In fear I stand alone.

Gassho
sat/ lah
Tai Shi

Tai Shi
03-12-2021, 08:04 PM
Really good spring
She buys my food
At drive up restaurant.

Gassho
sat/ lah
Tai Shi

Tai Shi
03-12-2021, 08:10 PM
One of the kind in winter,
She revealed her nieces
Making water into
Farm where grow beautiful
Flowers.

Gassho
sat/ lah
Tai Shi

Heiso
03-17-2021, 07:54 PM
night rain
in a whisky glass
the windswept moor

pluie nocturne
dans un verre à whisky
la lande balayée par le vent

Gassho
KokuuI can taste the peat.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

Tai Shi
03-18-2021, 08:41 PM
Thank you for being Kokuu friend I never expected or experienced liked an oasis in my light. South Dakota is better for this light or American I thinks once more. Let’s me release myself in Zen minds beginning only now in spring.
Gassho
sat/ lah
Tai Shi

Tai Shi
03-19-2021, 05:16 PM
Hi Jakuden. Some years back as a pretentious early arrival at Treeleaf, thinking I was helping you into poetry. Thank you for teaching me over the years. I hope to live my name, Calm Poetry.
Gassho
sat/ lah
Tai Shi

GrasshopperMan17
03-29-2021, 01:32 AM
A haiku I thought of after a session of zazen:

Sitting here, serene
On a warm spring afternoon
Crickets chirp outside

Gassho, John
ST/LAH

Kokuu
05-20-2021, 01:32 PM
her way
of praying...
wild violets

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fe/66/07/fe66070ca3978888c41c6ecece132161.jpg

bluemountain
05-21-2021, 04:33 PM
birds become silent
through the green forest strikes
the temple bell

Gasshogassho2

Bernie

Sat

Kokuu
08-10-2021, 11:48 AM
four years
since I shaved my head
a clean stick of incense

Byōkan, Jakuden, Shoka and I ordained on this day four years ago.

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday/lah-

Meian
08-10-2021, 06:04 PM
four years
since I shaved my head
a clean stick of incense

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday/lah-Deep Bows

Gassho2, meian st lh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Koushi
08-10-2021, 06:09 PM
four years
since I shaved my head
a clean stick of incense

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday/lah-

gassho1

Gassho,
Koushi
ST

Heiso
08-10-2021, 07:17 PM
four years
since I shaved my head
a clean stick of incense

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday/lah-Congratulations and thank you for what you all do.

Gassho

Heiso
StLah

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

Geika
08-10-2021, 10:33 PM
That was a good day! I couldn't ask for better Dharma siblings.

Gassho
Sat, lah

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

_Jd_
09-14-2021, 06:17 PM
mind is like weather
hurricane blowing outside
must sit

~~~

Gassho
Jd

Sat today

Kokuu
09-24-2021, 06:01 PM
I recently had an older haiku translated into Chinese, which was nice!

night rain
in every puddle
a different moon

(Third Place, 2018 International Kusamakura Haiku Competition)

夜雨
在每個水坑里
不同的月亮

夜雨
在每个水坑里
不同的月亮

http://neverendingstoryhaikutanka.blogspot.com/

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday/lah-

Nengyoku
09-24-2021, 06:09 PM
Cherry blossom falls
Not rushing nor abating;
Just petal to ground

The beginning of my practice was characterized by a lot of introspection about how short life is and how people try to cling to it. I remembered a time at my first job where I mentioned I couldn't wait to get off work and enjoy my weekend, and one of the older employees told me, "Don't wish your life away."
I watched as the cherry blossoms at my work place drifted to the ground and was reminded of this moment, and how the blossom neither clings to the moment of falling or hurries to the ground, and how I should be like that.
Just being.

Gassho,
William
SatToday

Kantai
09-24-2021, 07:49 PM
watering flowers

with bowl from ceremony

not a drop to spill

(Written after ryaku fusatsu)

Gassho
Kantai

SatLah

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

Kokuu
10-17-2021, 07:56 PM
watering flowers

with bowl from ceremony

not a drop to spill

Lovely! gassho2

Kokuu
10-17-2021, 07:57 PM
skeleton leaf

another medicine

fails to work

Gassho
Kokuu

Anchi
10-18-2021, 06:19 AM
gassho2

Skot
10-21-2021, 05:41 AM
scent of autumn leaves
the lovely smell of decay
invigorating

Skot sathatday

Getchi
10-27-2021, 06:21 PM
Nothing comes to mind,
still I thought
How lovely this is.

Gassho
Geoff

LaH
SatToday

Anchi
10-28-2021, 10:35 AM
can't put the smile
can not erase sadness
still breathing am

Gassho

Shokai
10-29-2021, 01:22 AM
A smile on your face
Can trick your brain into
Thinking You are happy

gassho, shokai
stlah

Anchi
10-30-2021, 11:56 AM
no wind in the net
nor hope in heaven
just black sea on

no wind in the net
idea of mind dukkha
true mind suffer

not afraid of
i roll the wheels on and
current carry me on

nor shadow frighten
with memories like
the shallow deep

still fight still hope
bit wind in the net for me
hands full emptiness

her arms reaches
through an awakening
true dharma eye

Gassho

Nengyoku
10-30-2021, 02:37 PM
Impermanence is
Things always changing - leaving
Like losing your poem

Gassho,
William
Sat

Nengyoku
10-30-2021, 02:45 PM
Rain during Zazen
Now rain drops remind me of
Sekishi sharing

What is my story?
Just memories from my life
But memories change

With dharma friends we
Create memories so our
Story is dharma

Gassho,
William
Sat

Rich
11-14-2021, 12:54 PM
She doesn’t compare
Doesn’t need approval yet
All love her

Most of my haiku are 5-7-5 but this just flowed out. Have published over 300 on instagram and approaching 500 followers at #notmovingmind many have pics. How do you post pics here?

Sat/lah

Kotei
11-14-2021, 01:03 PM
How do you post pics here?

Here is a Howto from Sekishi: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?17057-Often-Asked-How-to-Include-Images-in-Postings-on-the-Forum
Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Rich
11-14-2021, 07:16 PM
Thanks
Sat/lah

Rich
11-14-2021, 07:38 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211114/5014c7c0a8e41566c431ee894a162ef7.jpg

She doesn’t compare
Doesn’t need approval yet
All love her

Kokuu
11-14-2021, 07:44 PM
Is the poem about the tree?

Gassho
Kokuu

Rich
11-15-2021, 10:31 PM
Yes but you may know someone like her [emoji847]

Sat/lah

Rich
11-15-2021, 10:34 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211115/e57f0db7d784fad23ba1f17f15bdfb3b.jpg

Caring for all things
Her grandmotherly wisdom
Loves the world as self

Sat/lah

Rich
11-22-2021, 07:31 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211122/b151aa15f53e2968cce8615913435137.jpg

Sitting with nature
The state of doing nothing
Hawks circle, clouds drift

Rich
12-01-2021, 01:07 AM
She’s never lonely
She embraces solitude
Merging in oneness

Nengyoku
12-01-2021, 03:26 AM
Like the setting sun they have gone
Their presence marked by scattered toys and treats
And of course, their fur remains

Rich
12-07-2021, 12:40 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211207/b0b568b97756ece47527fbd5b2b93caa.jpg

She knows about death
With nothing to hold onto
She holds nothing back

Kokuu
12-17-2021, 01:03 PM
Some crows...

village bench
three jackdaws argue
over a beer can

so sudden
this autumn twilight
roosting rooks

burial mound
the wind summons
another crow

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday/lah-

Kokuu
02-16-2022, 05:46 PM
A fellow haiku poet is running a course called Haiku of the Senses, which focusses on each of the human senses in writing poetry.

He asked if he could use this one of mine as an example for taste which was nice...

Earl Grey tea
my mouth
becomes a meadow

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Washin
03-22-2022, 05:16 AM
A beautiful piece by a Zen fellow from Kharkiv...

Очередь в банкомат
Кинхин
Раньше срока не умрешь
Весенний снег

By Sergey Petrov

It looks like the standard Google translation isn't bad.

Gassho
Washin
stlah

Geika
03-22-2022, 05:27 AM
Lovely

Gassho
Sat, lah

Meiun
03-22-2022, 06:21 AM
feeling of winter
chill morning air
sit now, warm yourself

Gassho [emoji1317]

Kokuu
03-22-2022, 11:13 AM
Очередь в банкомат
Кинхин
Раньше срока не умрешь
Весенний снег

Translation:

Kinhin
You won't die before your time
spring snow

gassho2

feeling of winter
chill morning air
sit now, warm yourself

Lovely!

a first glimpse
of spring blossom
Javelin anti-tank missile

Gassho
Kokuu

Kokuu
03-23-2022, 07:12 PM
This week a Chinese haiku poet, Chen-ou Liu, translated one of my poems from 2018 into Chinese and posted it on her blog:

coastal mudflat
the ebb and flow
of sandpipers

沿海泥灘
伴隨潮起潮落飛翔
的一群鷸

(http://neverendingstoryhaikutanka.blogspot.com/2022/03/butterfly-dream-coastal-mudflat-by.html)

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Washin
03-24-2022, 05:21 AM
coastal mudflat
the ebb and flow
of sandpipers

Beautiful.

morning zazen
air raid alert on
first crocus' elusive scent

Gassho
Washin
stlah

Anchi
03-24-2022, 06:53 AM
gassho2

Meiun
03-28-2022, 06:37 AM
As I lit a candle and took refuge this morning my cat was very busy scratching away and this came to mind, made me chuckle...

I bow, fill my heart
The cat fills the litter tray
What difference here?

Gassho [emoji1317]

Mike

Meiun
04-25-2022, 06:12 AM
By light of morning
Birds proclaim their simple truth
Now now now now now

Gassho [emoji1317]

Mike

Sat today

Kokuu
04-25-2022, 10:36 AM
I really like that one, Mike!

Gassho
Kokuu

Zenkon
04-26-2022, 01:39 AM
rushing rivers and
tranquil streams,
all waters meet
in the same ocean

Gassho

Zenkon
sat/lah

Meiun
06-02-2022, 01:11 PM
Endless stories flow
Claiming authenticity
Truth smiles knowingly

Gassho [emoji1317]

Mike

Sat just now.

Tai Do
07-08-2022, 10:21 AM
Before sitting the Weekly Zazenkai (last part) early this morning, I looked at the sky and it was a beautiful purple color with only the Morning Star in it. This verses just came to my mind:

Morning Star
Abiding in the purple sky.
Buddha's zazen.

Gassho,
Mateus
Sat/LAH

Shinshi
07-08-2022, 11:04 PM
Green grass growing through black ash
Snake sheds its skin.
The dance of transformation

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

Tai Do
08-10-2022, 05:49 PM
A haiku for my loved ones that passed away:

波の上に
梅の花弁
我が浮世
———
Above the wave
A plum blossom petal
Our floating world

Gassho,
Mateus
Satlah

Kokuu
08-11-2022, 09:06 AM
波の上に
梅の花弁
我が浮世
———
Above the wave
A plum blossom petal
Our floating world

gassho2

JudyE
08-15-2022, 03:19 AM
humid mid-morning:
garter snake slips between rocks
pruned branches fall

Gassho
Judy
sat/lah

Tokan
08-15-2022, 03:33 AM
The sun warms the air
but doesn't touch the shadows;
crocus shoots break earth.

Gassho, Tokan (satlah)

Anchi
08-15-2022, 07:13 AM
life and death between
summer rain in the silence
just another breath

Gassho
Anchi

Zenkon
08-15-2022, 12:46 PM
Straddle
Too wide a stream
And both feet
Get wet

Gassho

Zenkon

sat/lah

Meiun
08-22-2022, 06:29 AM
Not a haiku but arising during sitting very strongly so thought I'd share.

'You don't know what you are!'
Ringing out clearly from the calm of meditation....
Accepting this truth I offer a bow.

Gassho [emoji1317]

Mike

-Sat today-

Onki
08-23-2022, 03:38 PM
He took his last breathe
Rain falling despite this
Joyous occasion

Gassho,

Finn

Sat today

Tai Do
09-15-2022, 07:09 PM
川の水
落ち葉いっぱい
乾季の終わり

River's water
Full of fallen leaves
End of the dry season

A haiku I wrote while on picnic with my family in a river nearby (in Brazil's Northeast, the trees lose their leaves in the dry season, not on autumn as the temperature don't change much, only the humidity of the air).

Gustaf Källvik
09-28-2022, 06:52 AM
Sitting very still
The Being watching itself
– Now that's a riddle!

~I sat today.

Tai Do
09-28-2022, 12:42 PM
Sitting very still
The Being watching itself
– Now that's a riddle!

~I sat today.

Beautiful, Gustaf.
Gassho,
Mateus
Satlah

Rocio
09-28-2022, 01:28 PM
Dear friends,

My youngest brother was born 50 years ago in this date.
I found in twitter a haiku written by Rev. Kokuu:

Sometimes
half a moon is enough
fiftieth birthday

I sent him and he liked it so much.

Thank you Rev. Kokuu

Gassho
Rocío
Sat today/ LAH

Gustaf Källvik
09-28-2022, 05:30 PM
Beautiful, Gustaf.
Gassho,
Mateus
Satlah

Thank you, Mateus
Gassho,
Gustaf

Kokuu
09-28-2022, 05:52 PM
My youngest brother was born 50 years ago in this date.
I found in twitter a haiku written by Rev. Kokuu:

Sometimes
half a moon is enough
fiftieth birthday

I sent him and he liked it so much.

Thank you Rev. Kokuu

I am so glad he liked it! That is funny you found one of my haiku on Twitter!

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Gustaf Källvik
09-30-2022, 11:00 AM
Ice born melt water
Dripping from the black branches
turn back into ice

Gassho,
Gustaf

~sat today~

Rich
12-24-2022, 12:34 PM
See a thought enter,
Drifting on gentle breeze,
Vanishing like smoke.

Sat/lah

Tai Do
12-29-2022, 09:10 PM
Full moon
Illuminating the sky
Mind's Mirror

Gassho,
Mateus
Satlah

P.S.: I deleted a previous post with haiku of mine that I had already posted.

Kokuu
12-30-2022, 11:03 AM
I have something in the Asahi Shimbun today:

winter deepens
an old shot glass
filled with whiskey

(https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14801725)

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Tai Do
12-30-2022, 12:27 PM
I have something in the Asahi Shimbun today:

winter deepens
an old shot glass
filled with whiskey

(https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14801725)

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Congratulations, Kokuu.
Your haiku is great. And the collection in the Asahi is great. Thank you for sharing.
Gassho,
Mateus
Satlah

Jundo
12-30-2022, 01:59 PM
:encouragement:

Veronica
01-16-2023, 12:44 AM
Three little beginner Haiku with a theme of the night sky in winter... I've always wanted to try Haiku, and it's very cool that there's a Haiku section in the forum.

finding my north
along
a path of stars

true north
neither mountain
nor pond

the grain of salt
grander
than Polaris

Veronica
stlah

Tai Do
01-16-2023, 01:26 PM
Three little beginner Haiku with a theme of the night sky in winter... I've always wanted to try Haiku, and it's very cool that there's a Haiku section in the forum.

finding my north
along
a path of stars

true north
neither mountain
nor pond

the grain of salt
grander
than Polaris

Veronica
stlah

Thank you for sharing, Veronica.
Gassho,
Tai Do (Mateus)
Satlah

Ryumon
01-16-2023, 01:28 PM
scrolling through Twitter
birds in the garden call out
they all say tweet tweet

Gassho,
Ryūmon (Kirk)
Sat

Kokuu
01-16-2023, 03:09 PM
finding my north
along
a path of stars

true north
neither mountain
nor pond

the grain of salt
grander
than Polaris

Those are lovely, Veronica!

Gassho
Kokuu

Kokuu
01-16-2023, 03:10 PM
scrolling through Twitter
birds in the garden call out
they all say tweet tweet

Everyone is tweeting now!

Btw, you don't have to write in 5-7-5.

Gassho
Kokuu

Ryumon
01-16-2023, 04:08 PM
I know I don't need to do 5-7-5, but it just fit. Since the first like was five, the second was naturally seven, and a single "tweet" on the third line seemed a bit too simple, so it worked. :-)

Gassho,

Ryūmon (Kirk)

sat

Mokuso
01-16-2023, 04:41 PM
Is this a haiku I have written?

The sun is shining
and the moon shines
but just one embrace makes me warm

Gassho. Mokuso

Kokuu
01-16-2023, 04:57 PM
Is this a haiku I have written?

The sun is shining
and the moon shines
but just one embrace makes me warm

Let's say it has some similarities with haiku!

This is a nice collection of haiku, many på svenska, if you want to get a feel for the form: https://simplyhaiku.com/SHv3n2/showcase/swedishHai_HHarle.html

Gassho
Kokuu

Mokuso
01-16-2023, 05:01 PM
Let's say it has some similarities with haiku!

This is a nice collection of haiku, many på svenska, if you want to get a feel for the form: https://simplyhaiku.com/SHv3n2/showcase/swedishHai_HHarle.html

Gassho
Kokuu

Thanks Kokuu Gassho

Mokuseki
01-16-2023, 08:55 PM
The purple flower,
Hidden by the white and green,
Bees always find it.

gassho1

Mokuseki

Veronica
01-17-2023, 04:12 AM
reflections in dark windows
my books
quietly watch me

Veronica
sat today.

aprapti
01-17-2023, 08:53 PM
after our zazen
running for my autobus..
that is practice too

Kokuu
02-01-2023, 10:47 PM
This is an admittedly a tanka/waka rather than a haiku but it still probably goes here:

who can know
the face of god?
behind an old church
the bowing heads
of snowdrop flowers

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Rich
02-02-2023, 01:09 AM
The doors are open
To become a loving breeze
In this existence

Sat/lah

Jishin
02-02-2023, 01:38 AM
Snowflakes swirl and spin,
Transforming the world below,
A winter wonderland

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Veronica
02-03-2023, 12:52 AM
I am my true friend,
but there is no me
so who could it be

Veronica
Stlah

Zenkon
02-03-2023, 03:20 AM
For less weeds,
In your mind.
Plant more flowers.

Gassho

Zenkon
Sat/lah

Zenkon
02-03-2023, 03:23 AM
Love and hate
Are like oil and water.
They do not mix well,
In the fixed container of your mind.
Fill your mind with one,
And there is no room for the other.

Gassho

Zenkon

Tai Shi
02-07-2023, 12:38 PM
Simplicity of day comes
Winter from breath of air
Night departs with light

Chikyou
02-09-2023, 03:13 PM
My hands are open
Thoughts fall like grains of dry sand
Through my spread fingers.

I love this thread!

Gassho,
SatLah
Kelly

Chikyou
02-13-2023, 02:42 PM
Birds sing
On the mountain top
Dew falls

Gassho
SatLah
Kelly

Gustaf Källvik
02-13-2023, 03:22 PM
The porch door ajar
Warm spring sun through my window
Children play outside

Gassho,
Gustaf

I sat today. I'd like to think I have lent a hand.

michaelw
02-16-2023, 10:29 AM
Supermarket carpark drizzle
Traffic noise from nearby motorway
Drowned by birdsong

Gassho
MichaelW

sat lah

Jishin
02-16-2023, 10:55 AM
Life fades like the breeze
Silent whispers in the wind
Death's eternal peace

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Gustaf Källvik
02-16-2023, 10:59 AM
Supermarket carpark drizzle
Traffic noise from nearby motorway
Drowned by birdsong

Gassho
MichaelW

sat lahI like it!

Gassho!
/Gustaf

Satlah

Rich
02-25-2023, 01:46 AM
Founded on a rock
It is indestructible
Fortress of the soul

Sat/lah

Tai Shi
02-25-2023, 01:10 PM
Three feet of snow drift
Raises death wave across sea
Of fifteen below zero.

Gassho
sat/lah

Chikyou
03-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Smiley face in concrete
You're not supposed to be there, but I love you
Indelible mark of childhood joy

Gassho,
SatLah
Kelly

Tai Shi
05-21-2023, 02:07 PM
Were it not for crystal
Sanga in cold spring we would
Cry ourselves to sleep

Gassho
sat/lah
Tai Shi

Kaitan
07-25-2023, 02:26 PM
I was listening a fragment of Genjokoan through Samaneri Jayasara record.
"When one thing is illuminated, others will be dark"
So this inspiredme, thus, I want to try to write something.

The darkest moments
Essential contrast
The light shines brighter

Gasshō
SatToday
Bernal

Kaitan
07-25-2023, 02:43 PM
Another one...

Drowning in the darkness
Stretching the body
Joyful mysteries