PDA

View Full Version : October 26th-27th Treeleaf Weekly BOO!!zenkai - HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Jundo
10-26-2018, 04:45 AM
WEAR A COSTUME IF YA GOT ONE!

Also, remember DAYLIGHT SAVINGS starts soon, starting times will change!

https://res.cloudinary.com/teepublic/image/private/s--zLrzMW9t--/t_Preview/b_rgb:191919,t_Watermark/c_limit,f_jpg,h_630,q_90,w_630/v1537077413/production/designs/3162448_0.jpg

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Friday night), London 2am and Paris 3am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE:
CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY3UUrzMTpQ

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE START TIME. JUST CLICK AND JOIN. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED::

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please join us in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra (although please keep your microphone muted). You can download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF) (https://sites.google.com/site/jundotreeleaf/Weekly%20%26%20Monthly%20Zazenkai%20-%20Lay%20Version%20-%20Feb2017.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML) (http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?7032-Weekly-Monthly-Zazenkai-Chant-Book-is-Here)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo gassho1

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

https://youtu.be/GR6POpsXh9Q

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?14884-Sit-a-Long-with-Jundo-Zazen-for-Beginners-%2812%29&p=189093#post189093

Mp
10-26-2018, 02:03 PM
Thank you Jundo, I will be there live two way with instruments ready. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Onkai
10-26-2018, 03:12 PM
Thank you, Jundo and Shingen. I will join, two-way, tech allowing.

Gassho,
Onkai

Kyonin
10-26-2018, 09:53 PM
Hi guys,

I won't be able to connect tonight. No Internet or electricity. Municipal government is doing some work to power lines and optics fibers in the neighborhood. The good news is that my Internet will be faster when they are done, which will be tomorrow.

Happy Halloween!

Gassho,

Kyonin
Sat/LAH

Jakuden
10-26-2018, 10:18 PM
Will have to sit at least part over the weekend. Have fun! [emoji316][emoji317]
Gassho
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beakon
10-26-2018, 10:42 PM
Today I signed up to become zombified on Halloween as apart of a casting call for Fear Winnipeg. I think I'm going to be breaking some Zen rules, about making sure everyone is peaceful around my actions and wordzzzz....

At least I'm going to help people overcome their fear of zombiezzzz.....

I will be at Zazenkai tonight, okay? Okayyyyyyyy....

Jundo
10-26-2018, 11:01 PM
Hi guys,

I won't be able to connect tonight. No Internet or electricity. Municipal government is doing some work to power lines and optics fibers in the neighborhood. The good news is that my Internet will be faster when they are done, which will be tomorrow.

Happy Halloween!

Gassho,

Kyonin
Sat/LAH

I hope that damage was not too severe from the typhoon that hit near you, Kyonin. News was scarce here.

Gassho, J

STLah

Jundo
10-26-2018, 11:17 PM
The Buddhist meaning of my costume today, or at least this was the general idea ... though I could have tried harder really ... :p

https://www.meditatejlc.org/uploads/4/4/9/2/44929759/vajrapani-web_2_orig.jpg

The tiger is one of four animals associated with the Kagyu lineages of Tibetan Buddhism. Bodhisattva Vajrapani wears the skin of a tiger and sworn dharma protectors such as Mahakala follow in this tradition that combines yogic symbolism with the Buddhist association of the tiger to compassion and generosity. ...

... Thus a tiger pelt was once the typical mat (Skt. asana) of the meditating yogin up until the mid-20th century. Now we are more conscientious and would never contribute to the rapid disappearance from the world of this impressive solitary animal.

... In Tantric Buddhism, the tiger skin represents the transmutation of anger into wisdom and insight, also offering protection to the meditator from outside harm or spiritual interference. ...

However, this is also causing a modern problem ...

The Indian tiger is heading rapidly towards extinction, thanks to a new breed of wealthy Tibetans who prize the skins as trimming for their traditional costumes, an investigation has shown.

Until recently it was tiger bone used in Chinese medicine that was thought to be driving the escalating poaching trade, but it is now clear that Tibetan fashions are stoking demand to unparalleled and unsustainable levels.

http://www.khandro.net/animal_tiger.htm

Gassho, J

STLah

Beakon
10-26-2018, 11:52 PM
I hope that damage was not too severe from the typhoon that hit near you, Kyonin. News was scarce here.

Gassho, J

STLah

I am wishing you metta, Kyonin. It must be very hard going through the maladies of a typhoon, are you at least able to make a cup of tea in those conditions?

Mp
10-27-2018, 12:49 AM
Hey folks,

Here is the event link for our SPOOKY Zazenkai: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/ytl/Jgxq4pnrqMzR_IelYQn7mCn1q82D8ibolKOxLjWNY7I=?hl=en _GB&pli=1

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Nengei
10-27-2018, 02:33 AM
Jundo cracks me up.

Well done. Thanks for a fun and insightful Boozenkai!

Gassho,
Joseph

Sat/LAH today.

Onkai
10-27-2018, 02:33 AM
Thank you, Jundo and everyone. A funny Halloween zazenkai. Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
Onkai
Sat

Sekishi
10-27-2018, 02:34 AM
Thank you all for taking time to sit together fully within and beyond these masks.

GasshooOOoOOoOooOo,
Sekishi
#sat #OoooOoooooooO

Washin
10-27-2018, 02:37 AM
Lovely zazenkai! Thank you Jundo and all gassho1
Have an awe-some weekend!

Gassho,
Washin
st

Mp
10-27-2018, 02:39 AM
Thank you Jundo and everyone .... that was a great zazenkai. Have a Happy Halloween and a great weekend. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Shokai
10-27-2018, 02:42 AM
Thank you one and all, have a happy Hallowe'en

gassho, Shokai
stlah

Seishin
10-27-2018, 06:43 AM
Will be catching up On Demand over next few mornings, thank you all.

Jika
10-27-2018, 08:31 AM
Gassho
Jika
sattoday, lah

Koki
10-27-2018, 12:55 PM
Sat with you all this morning from Cleveland Ohio. Wonderful Zazenkai...loved the costumes :)

Gassho
Frank
Satoday

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Tairin
10-27-2018, 01:25 PM
Sat the BOO!!zenkai this morning. [skull][justazombie][batman]

Thank you everyone.

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

sjlabat
10-27-2018, 04:25 PM
Alas poor Yorick! I knew him….
In Shakespeare’s Hamlet (and I need to be careful here, I am no Shakespeare scholar!), Hamlet views Yorick’ dead skull and reminisces on an old beloved court jester from the prince’s youth. So, impermanence – and also a ‘clown’ of sorts! Dani’s clown costume, I think, can have meaning for this sitting! Many spiritualities, religions, around the world have clowns, tricksters, holy fools whose job it is to close dualities that seemingly can’t be closed. In some Native American myths ‘Coyote,’ and ‘Raven’ (anthropologist Claude Levi Strauss discusses this in his book Structural Anthropology) are tricksters that close the duality of ‘dead’ vs. ‘alive,’ they eat carrion but do not kill what they eat. Court Jesters, like poor Yorick, holy fools, were people who sort of had a spiritual ‘shroud’ around them that gave them authority to sort of tell the King and other powerful people the truth – truth’s ‘normal’ folk dare not say! I think many of our religious/spiritual traditions and cultures don’t quite know what to make of ‘tricksters’ – tricksters are silly, and sometimes silly for silliness sake – and that’s great!, but sometimes the tricksters silliness had a point…and told truths others dare not say…
Gassho,
Sjl,
Sat, lah

Jundo
10-27-2018, 11:24 PM
You can get a little taste of the traditional power of Soto Zen monks to tame ghosts, goblins, dragons and the like on pages 44 and 45 here. It is said by many historians to be one of the main drives behind the spread of the lineage of Sojiji/Keizan Zenji widely through the countryside, far surpassing the number of temples linked to Eiheiji.

https://books.google.co.jp/books?id=EPXEoMtND24C&pg=PA44&lpg=PA44&dq=soto+zen+ghosts&source=bl&ots=uKp7BnnYv0&sig=Ysnr2TqbISIbpBBdW7pD_quHteU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwij7PPM4KfeAhVNUN4KHQrCCOEQ6AEwCnoECAQQA Q#v=onepage&q=soto%20zen%20ghosts&f=false

Gassho, J

STLah

Seishin
10-29-2018, 07:43 AM
Completed Boozenkai this morning. Thank you all.

Kokuu
10-30-2018, 01:31 PM
Spooky! The ghost was the old Buddha all along! (like an episode of Scooby Doo!)

Thank you.

Gassho
Kokuu

Kotei
10-30-2018, 03:58 PM
BOO!
Gassho,
Kotei just sat.

Adee1970
10-31-2018, 01:40 PM
[evilgrin]

Gassho

Meitou
10-31-2018, 06:50 PM
Great to sit this actually on Hallowe'en! Thank you Jundo and everyone and all the ghosts in the machines that make this technology possible.
Gassho
Meitou
satwithyoualltodayBOO!

Eishuu
11-06-2018, 11:39 AM
Thank you all.

Gassho
Eishuu
ST/LAH