PDA

View Full Version : Zazen Is Good For Nothing

Jundo
06-09-2018, 03:51 AM
A wonderful short talk by the great Shohaku Okumura Roshi explaining why "Zazen Is Good For Nothing," amid our lives as the Great Function of all things ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmt_rEcwogw

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

SNPII
06-09-2018, 04:20 AM
Oh my! Thank You! This was completely resonated with me! The way he describes it truly clarified what Zazen is in comparison to other forms of meditation! I was able to truly connect with this in the sense of not having expectation in sitting.

While I have not completely committed to only sitting shikantaza Zazen, I now have much more of a fundamental distinction of the potential of sitting Zazen!

Major Gassho
Sat2day
https://youtu.be/Tmt_rEcwogw

In Sincerity
Shane

Mp
06-09-2018, 04:52 AM
A wonderful expression and explanation indeed, thank you Dogen, Okumura, and Jundo. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Insight579
06-09-2018, 06:10 AM
Well received Jundo. Thank you for sharing.

Gassho, Thomas
Sat2Day

Seishin
06-09-2018, 07:53 AM
Thank you all. Found this very useful, especially sitting amongst a thunderstorm this morning and catching the birdsong, as the rain ebbed and flowed. Thought I was letting things pass by but occasionally found I'd become tangled in the passing drama. Sometimes its not so easy to let go but again I've only been sitting for 600 days or so. [monk]

Washin
06-09-2018, 08:56 AM
Always helpful and useful reminders.
Thank you Jundo and all gassho2

Gassho
Washin
just sat

Anka
06-09-2018, 09:26 AM
Thank you for sharing the video. A wonderful explanation of zazen.

James F
Sat

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Kokuu
06-09-2018, 10:51 AM
Beautiful. Thank you for sharing, Jundo.

Rev Okumura has a new book coming out soon which looks interesting on the Mountains and Rivers Sutra:

https://www.wisdompubs.org/book/mountains-and-waters-sutra

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Eishuu
06-09-2018, 12:08 PM
gassho2

Gassho
Eishuu
ST/LAH

Tairin
06-09-2018, 02:00 PM
Lovely thank you. Okumura Roshi has a wonderful ability to explain things clearly. I really appreciate his teaching

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today

Rich
06-09-2018, 04:58 PM
Wonderful. Thank you

SAT today
LAH

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Shugen
06-09-2018, 04:59 PM
Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shinshi
06-09-2018, 05:51 PM
Thank you so much for posting that. It was really great. I love his style, more he communicated his thoughts so clearly. Just excellent.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

PWoodward68
06-09-2018, 09:38 PM
Beautiful.

Gassho.

Paul

Sat today
LAH

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Jakuden
06-09-2018, 10:18 PM
This is wonderful, thank you gassho2

Gassho
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

Ryudo
06-10-2018, 08:43 PM
Deep bows
gassho2

Gassho
Ryudo/SatToday

Daitetsu
06-10-2018, 10:37 PM
Just lovely!
Thanks so much for sharing!

Gassho,

大哲

Sat2day

Shinshi
06-11-2018, 09:55 PM
I stumbled across this related interview with Shohaku Okumura at Bicycle Magazine. Also entitled Good for Nothing. :)

https://tricycle.org/magazine/good-nothing/

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

Michael Joseph
06-13-2018, 02:19 PM
gassho2

Gassho,

Michael

STLAH

Kyonin
06-13-2018, 03:22 PM
I receive this teaching in gratitude :)

Gassho,

Kyonin
Sat/LAH

Michael Joseph
06-14-2018, 01:28 PM
I do have one question regarding something that Okumura Roshi said. He stated, "We don't listen to anything. We don't pay attention." He used birds' singing as an example. I thought that we were supposed to maintain open awareness during zazen. What is the distinction between open awareness (if I'm right about that) and the listening that Okumura is talking about? Is there an imply difference here between passive acknowledgement of birdsong and active engagement with birdsong? Is this similar to acknowledging or recognizing thoughts during zazen versus engaging with thoughts during zazen?

Gassho,

Michael

STLAH

Jundo
06-14-2018, 01:49 PM
I do have one question regarding something that Okumura Roshi said. He stated, "We don't listen to anything. We don't pay attention." He used birds' singing as an example. I thought that we were supposed to maintain open awareness during zazen. What is the distinction between open awareness (if I'm right about that) and the listening that Okumura is talking about? Is there an imply difference here between passive acknowledgement of birdsong and active engagement with birdsong? Is this similar to acknowledging or recognizing thoughts during zazen versus engaging with thoughts during zazen?

Gassho,

Michael

STLAH

Hi Michael,

I am not sure about your question. Okumura is describing "open awareness." One hears, but does not engage, does not pay attention, "pays no nevermind."

I am not sure what you mean by "passive acknowledgement". We don't particularly acknowledge thoughts. Thought just come and go.

Can you be more specific?

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Michael Joseph
06-14-2018, 04:15 PM
Hi Michael,

I am not sure about your question. Okumura is describing "open awareness." One hears, but does not engage, does not pay attention, "pays no nevermind."

I am not sure what you mean by "passive acknowledgement". We don't particularly acknowledge thoughts. Thought just come and go.

Can you be more specific?

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Hey Jundo,

Thanks for the reply. You've answered my poorly-worded question. I have to admit, though, that sometimes when I sitting, I don't know whether I'm openly aware of the birds' singing (a frequent occurrence for me) or if I'm engaging with it. I know that I should let the matter go and just sit, but I still struggle with "am I doing this right" mind. It's a hard habit for me to break. I've spent so much of my life trying to be "right" that letting go of right and wrong is proving to be something of an obstacle.

Gassho,

Michael

STLAH

Shinshou
06-14-2018, 05:15 PM
"I became free from my desire to be a good Buddhist."

We have to "face the dead end." Right on.

Shinshou
Sat today

Jundo
06-14-2018, 06:08 PM
Hey Jundo,

Thanks for the reply. You've answered my poorly-worded question. I have to admit, though, that sometimes when I sitting, I don't know whether I'm openly aware of the birds' singing (a frequent occurrence for me) or if I'm engaging with it. I know that I should let the matter go and just sit, but I still struggle with "am I doing this right" mind. It's a hard habit for me to break. I've spent so much of my life trying to be "right" that letting go of right and wrong is proving to be something of an obstacle.

Gassho,

Michael

STLAH

Not thinking about something is not thinking about it. For example, if I now mention the back of your knee, suddenly you are thinking about it. What were you doing a second before I mentioned it? It was there, your body felt it, but you were paying it no nevermind. LIkewise for many things in your hearing and field of vision right now that you hear and see, but don't notice that you hear and see.

So, just hear the bird but don't think about it. And if you do happen to think, "Oh, bird singing," immediately let it go and get back to just sitting.

It ain't hard, you are overthinking this.

So, no wrong or right Zazen ... but just let the bird sing, and don't mess with it.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Shinshi
06-14-2018, 06:39 PM
Hey Jundo,

Gassho,

Michael

STLAH

If you are thinking about how to do it Right, you are probably doing it Wrong. :)

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

Michael Joseph
06-15-2018, 12:17 AM
Not thinking about something is not thinking about it. For example, if I now mention the back of your knee, suddenly you are thinking about it. What were you doing a second before I mentioned it? It was there, your body felt it, but you were paying it no nevermind. LIkewise for many things in your hearing and field of vision right now that you hear and see, but don't notice that you hear and see.

So, just hear the bird but don't think about it. And if you do happen to think, "Oh, bird singing," immediately let it go and get back to just sitting.

It ain't hard, you are overthinking this.

So, no wrong or right Zazen ... but just let the bird sing, and don't mess with it.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Thank you, Jundo. I'll remember to let be, and when I don't let be, I'll let go.

Gassho,

Michael

STLAH

Sekiyuu
06-15-2018, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the answer, Jundo, and thanks Michael for asking the question. I had thought the same thing.

Zazen being "good for nothing" is puzzling to me at this point in my practice, though. The more I sit, the more I am aware of things that I'm able to carry over to my life outside of zazen, and thus I feel like I've attained something. I didn't set out to attain anything, it just happened... this seems to be in line with what Okumura is saying if I understand correctly.

But, did I actually attain anything, or am I just fooling myself? Is zazen good for something, but only in retrospect? Is this what's meant by "attainment through non-attainment" or am I mistaken?

Gassho,
Kenny
Sat Today

Jundo
06-16-2018, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the answer, Jundo, and thanks Michael for asking the question. I had thought the same thing.

Zazen being "good for nothing" is puzzling to me at this point in my practice, though. The more I sit, the more I am aware of things that I'm able to carry over to my life outside of zazen, and thus I feel like I've attained something. I didn't set out to attain anything, it just happened... this seems to be in line with what Okumura is saying if I understand correctly.

But, did I actually attain anything, or am I just fooling myself? Is zazen good for something, but only in retrospect? Is this what's meant by "attainment through non-attainment" or am I mistaken?

Gassho,
Kenny
Sat Today

Of course Zen is "good for something!" It revolutionizes our lives.

However, remember that the key is to know peace and wholeness. When we just sit, seeking nothing more, without goal, it is light years away from just sitting complacent, stewing in our juices, wallowing.

Rather, we sit in the Wholeness and Fulfillment of the simple of act of sitting, with nothing lacking and nothing more to do.

Then, getting up for the cushion, returning to holes in need of filling and endless things to do, we know "nothing lacking as holes that need filling" and "nothing more to do as we do the endless things to do."

Understand?

Keep sitting, explore this more in your life.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Entai
06-16-2018, 06:37 PM
Thank you for sharing this. I'm very grateful for the questions and answers as well. I often wonder if I'm "doing it right". Thank you for the teaching and always useful reminders.

Gassho, Entai
St /lah

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk