PDA

View Full Version : Oryoki revival?

Meitou
02-05-2018, 08:31 AM
Hello everyone, I was wondering if there are any plans to revive the Oryoki practice? I've been thinking that even once a month, maybe around full moon or new moon might be a good time to come together? I'm a complete novice having practised for the first time during Ango and I'm now keen to keep up a regular practice.
Incidentally, I've also been thinking about tea ceremony too as I would really love to learn the basics and wondered if anyone else would be interested.
Gassho
Meitou
Satwithyoualltoday lah

Shugen
02-05-2018, 04:55 PM
Hello Meitou,

That sounds like a wonderful idea.

I am usually available Sunday mornings PST. Is there a time that would work for those interested?

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jakuden
02-05-2018, 10:26 PM
I am interested, anytime Sunday morning would usually work for me.

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

aprapti
02-05-2018, 10:35 PM
i would be interested, but i am not very good in this time schedule business. I think 9 o'clock in the morning PST would be 6 o'clock in the evening CET. That would fit.

gassho2
Coos
std/lah

Sekishi
02-06-2018, 02:01 AM
Hello everyone, I was wondering if there are any plans to revive the Oryoki practice? I've been thinking that even once a month, maybe around full moon or new moon might be a good time to come together? I'm a complete novice having practised for the first time during Ango and I'm now keen to keep up a regular practice.

I try to eat an oryoki meal at least once a month, usually on the day after the long Zazenkai. I used do it on the full moon Uposatha day observance, but over time it just seemed to make more sense to make Uposatha the long Zazenkai day (e.g. the long Zazenkai starts the day of observance, it ends the following sundown) instead of the full moon. Its corny / goofy I guess, but it works for me.

Anyhow, it sounds like there is at least some interest in a Sunday oryoki get-together. Count me in!

Gassho,
Sekishi
#sat #corny

Washin
02-06-2018, 07:50 AM
Thank you for the post, Meitou.
I am very interested to participate in this on Sundays. Time flexible.

Gassho
Washin
just sat

Meitou
02-06-2018, 10:27 PM
I'm in the same time zone as Aprapti,( and possibly Washin?) and that's a time that would work well for me. Shugen, I've been assuming that you would be happy to lead us in this, as you did during Ango - am I being too presumptious? As I said, I'm a novice and need someone to be out there leading me as I find it quite difficult to bring it all together - I spend most of my time dropping my utensils as I try to juggle reading the instructions with carrying them out :)

Gassho
Meitou
satwithyoualltoday/lah

Shugen
02-07-2018, 12:39 AM
I'm in the same time zone as Aprapti,( and possibly Washin?) and that's a time that would work well for me. Shugen, I've been assuming that you would be happy to lead us in this, as you did during Ango - am I being too presumptious? As I said, I'm a novice and need someone to be out there leading me as I find it quite difficult to bring it all together - I spend most of my time dropping my utensils as I try to juggle reading the instructions with carrying them out :)

Gassho
Meitou
satwithyoualltoday/lah

I would be happy to!

Thank you for the opportunity to be of service!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Cheyenne
02-07-2018, 01:16 AM
I am new as well and I have never done Oryoki practice. I would be interested in a monthly time.

Meitou
02-07-2018, 06:58 AM
I would be happy to!

Thank you for the opportunity to be of service!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

gassho2

Meitou
Satwithyoualltoday lah

Meitou
02-11-2018, 08:48 AM
I try to eat an oryoki meal at least once a month, usually on the day after the long Zazenkai. I used do it on the full moon Uposatha day observance, but over time it just seemed to make more sense to make Uposatha the long Zazenkai day (e.g. the long Zazenkai starts the day of observance, it ends the following sundown) instead of the full moon. Its corny / goofy I guess, but it works for me.

Anyhow, it sounds like there is at least some interest in a Sunday oryoki get-together. Count me in!

Gassho,
Sekishi
#sat #corny

I like your arrangement Sekishi - perhaps the Sunday after the monthly long zazenkai would be a good regular date, what does everyone else think? Would that suit you Shugen?
Gassho
Meitou
Satwithyoualltoday

Shugen
02-13-2018, 04:14 AM
I like your arrangement Sekishi - perhaps the Sunday after the monthly long zazenkai would be a good regular date, what does everyone else think? Would that suit you Shugen?
Gassho
Meitou
Satwithyoualltoday

That would be the first Sunday of the month (generally).

The second Sunday of the month would work better if that would be acceptable.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Meitou
02-13-2018, 07:55 AM
That would be the first Sunday of the month (generally).

The second Sunday of the month would work better if that would be acceptable.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

That's fine with me, yes.
Gassho
Meitou
Satwithyoualltoday lah

aprapti
02-13-2018, 09:19 PM
would be fine..

gassho2

Coos

and indeed... std

Jakuden
02-14-2018, 04:34 PM
Works for me!

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

Meitou
02-17-2018, 09:03 AM
So does that mean we would meet tomorrow, or should we wait until next month?
Gassho
Meitou
Satwithyoualltoday

Shugen
02-17-2018, 04:29 PM
Hi Meitou,

Tomorrow is the 3rd Sunday of the month for me and I have family visiting. I think we should wait until next month. Or, if you would like, we can meet next Sunday. (The 24th)

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday

Meitou
02-17-2018, 05:12 PM
Hi Meitou,

Tomorrow is the 3rd Sunday of the month for me and I have family visiting. I think we should wait until next month. Or, if you would like, we can meet next Sunday. (The 24th)

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday

I'm also happy to wait until next month, it's a date! Thanks Shugen.
Gassho
Meitou
Satwithyoualltoday lah

Hoyu
02-19-2018, 12:16 PM
Awesome! Just saw this thread today. Count me in with a tentative yes. Will discuss it with the family today to see if I can work it into our schedule. Approximately how much time will be needed? Thank you.

Gassho,
Hoyu
ST

Shugen
02-20-2018, 04:19 AM
Awesome! Just saw this thread today. Count me in with a tentative yes. Will discuss it with the family today to see if I can work it into our schedule. Approximately how much time will be needed? Thank you.

Gassho,
Hoyu
ST

Hello Hoyu,

Usually about a half an hour.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Cheyenne
02-21-2018, 11:43 PM
So, are we meeting the second Sunday of March?

Shugen
02-22-2018, 03:47 AM
So, are we meeting the second Sunday of March?

That is the plan! [emoji846]

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoyu
02-22-2018, 02:12 PM
Sounds great thank you all.

Gassho,
Hoyu
ST

Cheyenne
02-22-2018, 11:43 PM
Thank you. I look forward to being with all of you in March.

Cheyenne
02-22-2018, 11:45 PM
Do we have a time in mind?

Shugen
02-23-2018, 02:50 AM
Do we have a time in mind?

I am thinking 8AM PST, 11AM EST.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Meitou
02-23-2018, 05:29 AM
Which would be 5.00pm central EU time I believe. Perfect, thank you Shugen.
Gassho
Meitou
Satwithyoualltoday lah

aprapti
02-24-2018, 11:25 PM
i am afraid the 11th of March is not going to work for me..

gassho2
coos

std

Sekishi
02-25-2018, 06:00 PM
Just a note for folks in the US (and elsewhere) - March 11 at 2am is when daylight savings begins, so be mindful of local clock wobbles... [confused]

Gassho,
Sekishi
#sat #wibbly #wobbly #timey #wimey

Shugen
02-25-2018, 07:57 PM
Just a note for folks in the US (and elsewhere) - March 11 at 2am is when daylight savings begins, so be mindful of local clock wobbles... [confused]

Gassho,
Sekishi

Thank you for the reminder.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Jundo
02-26-2018, 01:55 AM

Gassho,
Sekishi

And March 25th in Europe and UK

Entai
02-27-2018, 08:55 PM
Hi. Just saw this thread. I am very interested. I typically work on Sundays. Would it be recorded by any chance? If not, that's cool too. Either way we take the meal together.
Gassho, Entai
#SatToday /lah

Shugen
02-28-2018, 01:40 AM
Hello Entai,

I wonít be recording but if you would like, I have some availability on other days. Perhaps we can add another day. What day would work for you and is anyone else interested?

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Hi. Just saw this thread. I am very interested. I typically work on Sundays. Would it be recorded by any chance? If not, that's cool too. Either way we take the meal together.
Gassho, Entai
#SatToday /lah

Entai
02-28-2018, 03:17 AM
Hello Entai,

I wonít be recording but if you would like, I have some availability on other days. Perhaps we can add another day. What day would work for you and is anyone else interested?

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Fridays and Saturdays work well for me. I could try to work out Sunday but it would take some creative juggling.

Gassho, Entai

Entai
03-01-2018, 06:47 PM
I think I'll be better off trying to work out the Sunday afterall. Apparently my work schedule is turning into chaos in a few weeks. Or into a different form of chaos anyway. Haha
Gassho, Entai
St

Shugen
03-01-2018, 09:22 PM
I think I'll be better off trying to work out the Sunday afterall. Apparently my work schedule is turning into chaos in a few weeks. Or into a different form of chaos anyway. Haha
Gassho, Entai
St

Let me know if something changes.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

bram
03-03-2018, 01:42 PM
I'll be trying to join as well from Norway (CET). My main experience with oryoki is a stressful one, with the fear (and reality) of doing it "wrong" during a sesshin. There were quite a few novices during that sesshin, so I didn't feel alone in my ordeal ;-)
In any case, I can see that after you master the movements it becomes just like kinhin a very nice zazen without the "za". So, I want to learn...

bram
03-03-2018, 01:57 PM
btw, as it seems that daylight savings in different places of the world is in the mix, am I correct that the date is:
Sunday 4PM GMT (Greenwich Mean Time, which has no daylight savings)?

Shugen
03-03-2018, 08:17 PM
I believe, with the time change, that would be correct.

Someone should double check. I am notorious for being bad at this sort of thing. [smile]

Gassho,

Shugen

Saturday/LAH

btw, as it seems that daylight savings in different places of the world is in the mix, am I correct that the date is:
Sunday 4PM GMT (Greenwich Mean Time, which has no daylight savings)?

Hoseki
03-06-2018, 03:18 PM
Hi guys,

Is it this Sunday?

Thanks,

Gassho
Hoseki
Sat today

Shugen
03-06-2018, 05:37 PM
Hi guys,

Is it this Sunday?

Thanks,

Gassho
Hoseki
Sat today

It is!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Hoseki
03-06-2018, 07:09 PM
It is!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Thank Shugen,

I'm interested in participating. I'm going to look for some bowls when I go home. I'm pretty sure I bought some for this purpose sometime ago.

Gassho
Hoseki
Sattoday

Shugen
03-06-2018, 10:57 PM
Thank Shugen,

I'm interested in participating. I'm going to look for some bowls when I go home. I'm pretty sure I bought some for this purpose sometime ago.

Gassho
Hoseki
Sattoday

It doesn't need to be fancy. Whatever works.

I'll post a couple of links that might be helpful about materials and with a general overview.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Hoseki
03-06-2018, 11:18 PM
It doesn't need to be fancy. Whatever works.

I'll post a couple of links that might be helpful about materials and with a general overview.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Awesome thanks!

Gassho

Hoseki
Sattoday

Jakuden
03-08-2018, 02:22 AM
Just one more confirmation of time, you said 8 AM Pacific? And you will be on daylight savings, correct? (That would make it 11 AM on DST here in NY)

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

Jakuden
03-08-2018, 02:25 AM
Oh phooey I just realized I will probably be driving my older daughter back to college that day. Perhaps I can participate in the car if my husband takes first shift driving, wouldn't that be funny? Traveling Oryoki.

Gassho
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

Shugen
03-08-2018, 04:38 AM
Oh phooey I just realized I will probably be driving my older daughter back to college that day. Perhaps I can participate in the car if my husband takes first shift driving, wouldn't that be funny? Traveling Oryoki.

Gassho
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

That sounds challenging!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Shugen
03-08-2018, 04:39 AM
Just one more confirmation of time, you said 8 AM Pacific? And you will be on daylight savings, correct? (That would make it 11 AM on DST here in NY)

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

Yep

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Shugen
03-08-2018, 08:19 PM
Hello all,

Here is a nice overview Jundo did a few years ago:
https://youtu.be/CzQAaWBDTSI

And here is a link to creating an "at Home" Oryoki set:
https://youtu.be/1HnLfdCwE9Y

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Shugen
03-08-2018, 08:33 PM
Here is a video of the first meeting of the Oryoki circle I did a couple of years ago. It has some additional information as well:
https://youtu.be/q9VeUc3tuvs

And here are a couple of documents:

This is the chants that we will be doing - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Jc58HP-0llSkNXREZNMktteHM/view

And this is a document that provides some measurements if you would like to make your own set - http://terebess.hu/zen/szoto/oryoki-instructions.pdf

If you don't have everything that is perfectly fine! We will do the best we can with what we do have.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Mp
03-08-2018, 10:00 PM
Thank you Shugen, see you all on Sunday. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Shugen
03-11-2018, 03:24 AM
Hello All,

We will meet in the Treeleaf Now Meeting Room. Here is the link: http://www.treeleaf.org/now/go.php?l=meeting-room

(Donít forget about the time change overnight for North America)

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Mp
03-11-2018, 03:26 AM
Hello All,

We will meet in the Treeleaf Now Meeting Room. Here is the link: http://www.treeleaf.org/now/go.php?l=meeting-room

(Donít forget about the time change overnight for North America)

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkThanks Shugen, see you tomorrow morning. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Meitou
03-11-2018, 02:33 PM
Hello All,

(Don’t forget about the time change overnight for North America)

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

I'll see you all shortly. I'm slightly confused about the time because I had previously worked it out to be 5.00 pm my time, ( 4.00pm gmt) but my phone is telling me that it's actually 4.00pm my time, so I'll check in at 4.00, if there's no-one around I'll come back at 5.00pm. I'm really looking forward to this, thank you again Shugen.
Gassho
Meitou
satwithyoualltoday/lah

Mp
03-11-2018, 02:35 PM
I'll see you all shortly. I'm slightly confused about the time because I had previously worked it out to be 5.00 pm my time, ( 4.00pm gmt) but my phone is telling me that it's actually 4.00pm my time, so I'll check in at 4.00, if there's no-one around I'll come back at 5.00pm. I'm really looking forward to this, thank you again Shugen.
Gassho
Meitou
satwithyoualltoday/lahHey Meitou, it will be starting in 25mins on the hour. See you then. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Shugen
03-11-2018, 02:40 PM
Hey Meitou, it will be starting in 25mins on the hour. See you then. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Yep, see you in a little while!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Mp
03-11-2018, 03:28 PM
Awesome stuff, thank you Shugen and folks for coming together to practice, was lovely. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Sekishi
03-11-2018, 03:40 PM
Wonderful to practice together!

Today I learned: I need to practice this more - much was forgotten. [emoji28]

Gassho,
Sekishi
#sat #fumbled

Sent from my Tricorder using Tapatalk Pro

Shugen
03-11-2018, 03:58 PM
Thank you all for sharing a meal together.

We will do it again soon!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

bram
03-11-2018, 04:02 PM
All ready here...
So, I did get the time wrong ;-)
Next month then.
Gassho,
Bram

SAT

Entai
03-11-2018, 04:07 PM
Thank you Shugen and all!
I need to review things. I am out of practice.

Gassho,
Entai
#st

Meitou
03-11-2018, 04:07 PM
Wonderful to practice together!

Today I learned: I need to practice this more - much was forgotten. [emoji28]

Gassho,
Sekishi
#sat #fumbled

Sent from my Tricorder using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, I really need to practice, this was my first Oryoki since Rohatsu and I too was fumbling and fiddling. I was also fidgeting because I chose to sit in seiza, thinking it would be easier to reach for things, but I was too low and after 5 minutes I couldn't feel my lower legs, so apologies for all the moving about. I learnt so much today - I'm going to rethink my bowls and utensils and make another utensil holder. I'll now make this a regular weekly practice, especially that knot tying at the end! Washing the bowls with green tea felt quite luxurious and tasted delicious [rice]
Thank you again everyone, it was lovely to share with you all.
Gassho
Meitou

satwithyoualltoday/lah
satwithyoualltoday/lah

Meitou
03-11-2018, 04:10 PM
All ready here...
So, I did get the time wrong ;-)
Next month then.
Gassho,
Bram

SAT

Oh no Bram! I nearly made the same mistake, I think it was because of the daylight savings in the US; I checked today at the last minute and my phone told me it was 4.00. not 5.00 - I believe everything my phone tells me otherwise I would also have missed it. At least now you can get plenty of practice in for next month :encouragement:
Gassho
Meitou
satwithyoualltoday/lah

bram
03-11-2018, 04:23 PM
Indeed, I relied on the 16:00 GMT, but I guess it was actually 15:00 GMT.
It is probably for the best, as I didn't manage to watch Jundo's demonstration prior to the meeting.
Looking forward to next month in any case!
Gassho,
Bram

Jundo
03-12-2018, 01:26 AM
You may be interested in this if a bit of a history buff ...

I recently discovered some material that shows that this Practice of Oryoki, although refined by Dogen and the Japanese masters, largely reaches back to China centuries before, with elements (such as the grouping of bowls) originating in India long before.

However, perhaps in all that time, no one has ever attempted to teach and undertake Oryoki in the way of this group of people today. So, a little Oryoki history has been made by you. Thank you to Shugen for a lovely and careful effort to shepard folks through this lovely Practice. gassho2

Gassho, J

PS - About the origins of Oryoki ...

I thought our Oryoki folks might find this interesting. 11th Century Oryoki instructions from before the time of Dogen. As well, the author traces aspects back to many centuries before that, and the configuration of the bowls to India. Some of the chants are identical to chants in the 4th century AD ...

The Chanyuan qinggui (Chinese: 禪苑清規 or The Rules of Purity in the Chan Monastery, is a highly influential set of rules for Zen monasteries compiled by the Chinese monk Changlu Zongze in 1103. Although many other monastic codes aimed at the Zen school would follow, Chanyuan qinggui is the oldest extant work of its kind. Prior to the Rules of Purity, various translations of Indian Vinaya texts had existed in China since the fifth century, while Chinese monks beginning with Daoan has created sangha regulations in the 4th century. However, none was extensive or geared towards any particular sect that existed at that time. Both types of regulations has a direct influence on Chanyuan qinggui, but neither aimed to be nearly as extensive or authoritative. The text regulates nearly all aspects of daily life in a monastery, from the proper protocol for ceremonies to the correct way to visit the toilet. The text became the standard reference for its topic not only in Song Dynasty China, but also well into the Yuan Dynasty, as well as abroad in Korea and Japan.

Daoxuan himself was largely preserving practices codified more than two hundred years before by Daoan, through his works we can discern indirectly how many Chan monastic practices, many of them still carried out today, can be traced as far back as the fourth century. We see, for example, that the octagonal hammer with its pillar stand, which sits in the center of the Sangha hall in Chan monasteries, is not a Chan invention, but a device used long before by Daoxuan, who, in turn, inherited it from Daoan. The five contemplations [recited when opening the Bowls] and other verses chanted by Chan monks during the Tang and Song are described in Daoxuan’s Xingshi chao, and these, too, can be traced back to Daoan’s time. ... Even the use of four nesting bowls at mealtimes, often thought to be unique to the Chan monastery, can be found in the original Vinaya texts [from India]

The 11th Century text ...

To correctly display a nest of bowls, the monk should first
bow and untie his cloth bundle. He takes out the bowl wiper and
folds the cloth into a small shape. He then takes out his spoon and
chopstick bag and places them horizontally, close in front of him. Next
the clean towel is used to cover the knees, after which the cloth
bundle is completely opened and the three corners closest to him are
folded over and neatly joined together at the center, while the far corner
is allowed to drape over the edge of the platform. He then uses
both hands to unfold the mat. With his right hand facing down, he
holds the corner of the mat closest to him on the right side and places
it over the top of the bowls in front of him. Then, with the left hand
facing up, he reaches under the mat to pick up the bowls and places
them on the left side of the mat. Using the fingertips of both hands,
he takes out the three smaller bowls stacked together and places
them on the mat one at a time without making any noise. If his seat
is narrow, he should display only three of his bowls. He then opens
the bag to take out his spoon and chopsticks. (When removing these
items, he should take out the chopsticks first. When replacing them, he should
put the spoon in first.) He places the chopsticks and spoon horizontally
behind the first bowl, with the handles to the side of his upper shoulder.
The brush he places on the edge of the mat to the side of the
lower shoulder with the handle facing out. He then waits for the offering
of food to all sentient beings.

To correctly receive the food, the monk should hold the bowl with
both hands and lower his hands close to the mat. The bowl should
be held level. The monk should gauge the amount of food served
him; he should not request too much and leave unfinished food. He
must wait until the food has been distributed and the rector has struck
with the hammer before he lifts up his bowl to make the offering.
After the hammer has struck, he presses his hands together in honor
of the food and performs the five contemplations:

one, to ponder the effort necessary to supply this food and to appreciate its origins; two, to reflect
on one’s own virtue being insufficient to receive the offering; three, to protect the
mind’s integrity, to depart from error, and, as a general principle, to avoid being
greedy; four, at the same time to consider the food as medicine and bodily nourishment,
preventing emaciation; five, to receive this food as necessary for attaining
enlightenment.

After this comes the offering of food to all sentient beings.

(Before the completion of the five contemplations the food cannot
be considered one’s own portion and therefore cannot be offered to sentient beings.)
While the monks perform the offering of food to all sentient beings,
they chant a verse: “All spirit beings and deities, / Now I offer you this
food. / May this food be spread in all ten directions / For all spirit beings and
deities to share.

After he has finished eating, if there
is anything left in his bowl he should use the bowl wiper to clean it
and then eat it. When he receives the water, the monk should wash
the largest bowl first and then the other bowls in order from largest
to smallest. He should not wash the smaller bowls inside the large
bowl. He then wipes the bowls to dry them. In addition, the
spoon and chopsticks should be washed and placed inside their bag.
The water for the bowls should not spill onto the floor around the
platform. The mantra pronounced while the water from the bowls
is poured out is “Om mahorase sv‚h‚.” The two thumbs are used to
stack all the bowls inside each other. With the left hand facing up,
the monk puts the bowls into the center of the cloth. Then with the
right hand facing down, he holds the corner of the mat closest to him
on the right side and puts it on top of the bowls. He then folds the
mat and places it back on top of the bowls. Next he picks up the corner
of the cloth closest to the body to cover the bowls. Then he pulls
the corner of the cloth draped over the end of the platform toward
himself to cover the bowls. He folds the clean towel and places it, together
with the bag containing the spoon and chopsticks and the bowl
brush, on top of the now covered bowls and covers them with the
bowl wiper. After the monks have put their bundles back in order,
when they hear the hammer strike to exit the hall, they will all chant
the verse for the completion of the meal:

“After the meal, the body is full
of physical energy / And quakes with a power like the heroes, which permeates
all ten directions in the past, present, and future./ One can now revert
causes and transform effects and therefore one need no longer be preoccupied
with one’s inabilities. / Let all sentient beings obtain supernatural power
through this strength.”

http://terebess.hu/zen/Chanyuan-qinggui.pdf

Gassho, J

SatToday

Mp
03-12-2018, 01:29 AM
Thank you Jundo for this walk down history lane. Oryoki is such a wonderful and beautiful practice ... I am happy that we are able to come together and carry on the tradition. =)

And yes, thank you to our dear Shugen. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Shugen
03-12-2018, 03:37 AM
Thank you Jundo.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Meitou
03-13-2018, 11:22 PM
Thank you for this Jundo, it makes sense to me that there would always have been rituals around sharing food - I liked the clarity of the instructions.
I'm very grateful that we can share this practice online as we do everything else, I can't imagine any other Sangha offering this opportunity.
Gassho
Meitou
Satwithyoualltoday lah

Shugen
04-03-2018, 11:36 PM
Hello all,

The 8th of April is the second Sunday of the month. Shall we meet again for Oryoki practice? And, would anyone object to meeting half an hour later (8:30am Los Angeles time, 11:30am New York City time)?

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Mp
04-03-2018, 11:40 PM
Hello all,

The 8th of April is the second Sunday of the month. Shall we meet again for Oryoki practice? And, would anyone object to meeting half an hour later (8:30am Los Angeles time, 11:30am New York City time)?

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Works for me brother! =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Meitou
04-04-2018, 05:20 AM
Hello all,

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Even better for me Shugen, see you there!
Gassho
Meitou
Satwithyoualltoday lah

Entai
04-05-2018, 06:08 PM
Sounds great! See you all then.

Gassho, Entai
st

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Shugen
04-08-2018, 12:44 AM
Hello all,

We will be meeting Sunday, April 8th at 8:30am Los Angeles time for Oryoki practice in the Treeleaf Now Meeting Room:http://www.treeleaf.org/now/go.php?l=meeting-room

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Mp
04-08-2018, 12:45 AM
Hello all,

We will be meeting Sunday, April 8th at 8:30am Los Angeles time for Oryoki practice in the Treeleaf Now Meeting Room:http://www.treeleaf.org/now/go.php?l=meeting-room

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAHAwesome shugen, see you tomorrow morning. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Meitou
04-08-2018, 10:58 AM
Dear friends, unfortunately I can't make it after all today, I am so sorry. I will be thinking of you and hopefully later this evening I'll be able to do the practice on my own. Again, I'm sorry that I can't be with you.
Gassho
Meitou
Satwithyoualltoday lah

Mp
04-08-2018, 03:55 PM
Good job Shugen, thank you for your guidance and thank you folks for coming out to practice. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

bram
04-08-2018, 03:57 PM
Thank you all for the nice meal together!
@Meitou, I see you next month too.
Gassho,
Bram

Shugen
05-10-2018, 06:52 PM
Hello all,

It is the second Sunday on May 13th. (Also mother's day here in the US). Shall we meet for Oryoki practice at 8am Los Angeles time?

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Mp
05-10-2018, 07:33 PM
Hello all,

It is the second Sunday on May 13th. (Also mother's day here in the US). Shall we meet for Oryoki practice at 8am Los Angeles time?

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

I am good to go and can be there. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Meitou
05-10-2018, 10:13 PM
I can make it, see you there.
Gassho
Meitou
Satwithyoualltoday lah

Shugen
05-13-2018, 02:51 AM
Hello all,

We will be meeting in the Treeleaf Now Meeting room at 8am Los Angeles time, 11am New York City time.

Here is the Link:https://www.treeleaf.org/now/go.php?l=meeting-room

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Mp
05-13-2018, 03:02 AM
Hello all,

We will be meeting in the Treeleaf Now Meeting room at 8am Los Angeles time, 11am New York City time.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAHSee you in the morning folks. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Washin
05-13-2018, 06:27 AM
Regret I'll have to miss this one.
See you all at the next meeting.

Gassho
Washin
sattoday

Mp
05-13-2018, 03:31 PM
Thank you Shugen and Meitou, lovely practicing with you this morning. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Meitou
05-13-2018, 04:34 PM
Thank you Shugen and Meitou, lovely practicing with you this morning. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you Shingen and deep bow to Shugen for leading, lovely to be with you both. I'm getting there!
Gassho
Meitou
satwithyoualltoday/lah/practised oryoki

Shugen
05-13-2018, 05:00 PM
Thank you Shingen and deep bow to Shugen for leading, lovely to be with you both. I'm getting there!
Gassho
Meitou
satwithyoualltoday/lah/practised oryoki

Thank you both. I always enjoy sharing a meal together.

If anyone else is interested in Oryoki practice but is unable to join because of the time or day, please pm me.
I would be happy to try and accommodate.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Entai
05-14-2018, 11:30 AM
Sorry I missed it this month. Hope to see you next month!
Gassho, Entai
st

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Shugen
06-08-2018, 05:17 PM
Hello all,

It is the second Sunday on June 10th. Shall we meet for Oryoki practice at 8am Los Angeles time?

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Mp
06-08-2018, 05:31 PM
Hello all,

It is the second Sunday on June 10th. Shall we meet for Oryoki practice at 8am Los Angeles time?

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

You betcha ... look forward to it. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Meitou
06-10-2018, 12:07 PM
Sorry friends, I can't make it today, I'll do the practice tomorrow with you all in mind.
Gassho
Meitou
Satwithyoualltoday lah

Washin
06-10-2018, 12:50 PM
Regret, I won't be able to participate today.
Looking forward to our next gathering.

Gassho
Washin
st

Shugen
06-10-2018, 02:57 PM
Hello all,

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Mp
06-10-2018, 03:30 PM
Awesome stuff, thank you Shugen ... this sure is a practice that teaches to be present in each and every moment. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Meian
06-16-2018, 10:53 PM
I am not able to attend on Sunday morning (EST) due to a weekly class conflict. I am hoping to view the demonstration video soon. I would like to learn more about this ceremony, I find the concept so intriguing.

Gassho
Kim
St lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Shugen
07-04-2018, 10:57 PM
Hello all,

Normally this Sunday (July 8th)would be when we meet for Oryoki. I will be going out of town for a family vacation. We can reschedule for later in the month or just meet again in August.

Please let me know your wishes.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Mp
07-04-2018, 11:03 PM
Hello all,

Normally this Sunday (July 8th)would be when we meet for Oryoki. I will be going out of town for a family vacation. We can reschedule for later in the month or just meet again in August.

Please let me know your wishes.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkI am easy and will go with the group ... =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Meitou
07-14-2018, 09:01 PM
Sorry to have missed a couple of meetings, I should be able to attend the next one - same as Shingen, I'm easy about when that happens.
Gassho
Meitou
satwithyoualltoday/ lah

Shugen
09-20-2018, 10:03 PM
Hello all,

Shall we start up again?

Letís meet this Sunday (and every Sunday after that) at 8:15am Los Angeles time.

Since it has been a little while, and Shingen is going to need to coach me a bit on recording, letís just share a meal together without recording it.

After this one, we can start recording them for those that wish to join us but are unable to.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Mp
09-20-2018, 10:05 PM
Hello all,

Shall we start up again?

Letís meet this Sunday (and every Sunday after that) at 8:15am Los Angeles time.

Since it has been a little while, and Shingen is going to need to coach me a bit on recording, letís just share a meal together without recording it.

After this one, we can start recording them for those that wish to join us but are unable to.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkSounds good to me Shugen ... I will be there. =)

Also, if you or others need a recording for this Sunday, I can always set one up in the interm ... Let me know what is best.

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Meitou
09-20-2018, 11:40 PM
Hello all,

Shall we start up again?

Let’s meet this Sunday (and every Sunday after that) at 8:15am Los Angeles time.

Since it has been a little while, and Shingen is going to need to coach me a bit on recording, let’s just share a meal together without recording it.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

I believe that's 17.15 my time. See you there / here [claps]
Gassho
Meitou
Satwithyoualltoday lah

Meian
09-21-2018, 12:15 PM
That's 11:15 EST my time. I think I can make that. [emoji4] I'll just watch, if that's ok?

Gassho
Kim
St

Mp
09-21-2018, 02:04 PM
That's 11:15 EST my time. I think I can make that. [emoji4] I'll just watch, if that's ok?

Gassho
Kim
St

Hey Kim,

You can if you wish ... I will also get a recording for Shugen and the rest of you if needed. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Shugen
09-21-2018, 04:48 PM
Hello all,

Here is an overview video:
https://youtu.be/oOVl-jQckWc

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Mp
09-23-2018, 02:29 AM
Hey folks,

I have setup the event for tomorrow's (Sunday Sept 23rd) Oryoki. I will post the link in the morning before the event (sorry, we have to do this due to Youtube issues).

Event link for two way participants: Please stay tuned for the link in the AM

Here is the video for folks who just want to watch or follow along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0YVtDaFg-0

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Shugen
09-23-2018, 03:26 AM
Thank you Shingen.

See you all soon!

Gassho,
Shugen
Sattoday/LAH

Meitou
09-23-2018, 07:52 AM
Hey folks,

I have setup the event for tomorrow's (Sunday Sept 23rd) Oryoki. I will post the link in the morning before the event (sorry, we have to do this due to Youtube issues).

Event link for two way participants: Please stay tuned for the link in the AM

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you Shingen and Shugen, looking forward to it.
Gassho
Meitou
Satwithyoualltoday

Mp
09-23-2018, 02:45 PM
Hey folks,

Event link for two way participants: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/ojcpq5yg2zekhi7sfkxbdwve7ie

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Washin
09-23-2018, 04:02 PM
Thank you Shugen, Shingen and Meitou gassho1

Gassho
Washin
sat/lah

Mp
09-23-2018, 04:14 PM
Thank you my friends, great to sit and share a meal with you as always. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Shugen
09-23-2018, 04:23 PM
Thank you all for a lovely meal!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Meitou
09-23-2018, 04:45 PM
Thank you dear Dharma friends, lovely to share Oryoki with you.

Gassho
Meitou
satwithyoualltoday/lah

Shugen
09-29-2018, 03:38 PM
Hello all,

Shall we meet again? Sunday September 30th 8:15am Los Angeles time?

Gassho,

Shugen

Mp
09-29-2018, 04:45 PM
Hello all,

Gassho,

Shugen

I am in .... =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Meitou
09-29-2018, 06:47 PM
Hello all,

Gassho,

Shugen

My bowls are ready and waiting :)
Gassho
Meitou
satwithyoualltodaylah

Mp
09-30-2018, 02:57 PM
Hey folks,

Here is the link for today's Oryoki Practice: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/e5kxqtb7n5bvffp7jmyth7e2pme

Here is also the video for one way practionier's.

http://youtu.be/7HEU1luoJIs

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Mp
09-30-2018, 03:44 PM
Thank you Shugen and Meitou ... lovely to practice and share a meal with you. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Shugen
09-30-2018, 04:26 PM
Hello All,

Oryoki is a lot like sewing, if you aren't present, it's going to come out crooked! Mistakes are just a part of practice.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Meitou
09-30-2018, 05:37 PM
Thank you Shugen and Shingen, lovely to eat together - time zones and thousands of miles become nothing as we sit in the same space.
Gassho
Meitou
satwithyoualltodaylah

Shugen
10-07-2018, 01:40 AM
Letís share another meal together!

Sunday October 7th 8:15am (Los Angeles time).

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Mp
10-07-2018, 02:10 AM

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Awesome, see yah all there. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Washin
10-07-2018, 05:35 AM

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

I'm going to be there. Thank you Shugen.

Gassho
Washin
just sat

Meitou
10-07-2018, 05:45 AM
I can't say I'll definitely be there yet, but will try my best.
Gassho
Meitou
Satwithyoualltoday lah

Mp
10-07-2018, 02:53 PM
Hey folks,

Here is the link for today's Oryoki practice (Oct 7th): https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/65ajuct355gdvo5kfdubsyafiee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Av6wd-7un0&feature=youtu.be

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Mp
10-07-2018, 03:50 PM
Thank you gentlemen, great to share a meal and practice. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Washin
10-07-2018, 03:51 PM
Thank you Shugen and Shingen.
I am sorry for joining after the recording has already started. I simply forgot we join the hangout
via the link posted here and not via the SSR. Some days happen to be dim-witted :)

Gassho
Washin
sat/lah

Meitou
10-07-2018, 09:09 PM
I'm sorry I couldn't join you today, I'm very grateful that there's a recording, I will sit and practice with that during this week. I trust you enjoyed your meal!
Gassho
Meitou
satwithyoualltoday/lah

Shugen
10-08-2018, 01:37 AM
I'm sorry I couldn't join you today, I'm very grateful that there's a recording, I will sit and practice with that during this week. I trust you enjoyed your meal!
Gassho
Meitou
satwithyoualltoday/lah

The meal and the company were both enjoyable. Only thing missing was your smile. [emoji846]

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday /LAH

Meitou
10-08-2018, 06:21 AM
The meal and the company were both enjoyable. Only thing missing was your smile. [emoji846]

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday /LAH

Oh Shugen!
gassho2
Meitou
Satwithyoualltoday

Jundo
10-09-2018, 12:44 PM
Hi Shugen,

May I suggest that you start a new thread for each new Oryoki meeting and netcast, kind of like I do for the weekly Zazenkais? It might help keep things sorted better than lumping everything in this one thread from now on.

Gassho, J

STLah

Shugen
10-09-2018, 07:48 PM
Hi Shugen,

May I suggest that you start a new thread for each new Oryoki meeting and netcast, kind of like I do for the weekly Zazenkais? It might help keep things sorted better than lumping everything in this one thread from now on.

Gassho, J

STLah

Certainly!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday /LAH