PDA

View Full Version : February 2nd-3rd, 2018 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

Jundo
02-01-2018, 09:55 AM
Today's Talk is based on the Sandokai (Identity of Relative & Absolute) that we chant each month. (text below)

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 6pm to 10pm, Los Angeles 3pm to 7pm (Friday night), London 11pm to 3am and Paris midnight to 54am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... to be visible on the below screen during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at YOUTUBE HANGOUT IS HERE:
CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGmzva9n-Fw

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/february-2018-zazenkai-talk-sandokai-the-identity-of-relative-and-absolute/

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS are posted AT THIS LINK (http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?10200-How-to-Join-GOOGLE-for-Zazenkai). WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in Japanese and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF) (https://sites.google.com/site/jundotreeleaf/Weekly%20%26%20Monthly%20Zazenkai%20-%20Lay%20Version%20-%20Feb2017.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML) (http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?7032-Weekly-Monthly-Zazenkai-Chant-Book-is-Here)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Identity of Relative & Absolute, Metta Verses, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

Jundo
02-01-2018, 09:55 AM
OUR TALK FOR THIS MONTH IS BASED ON THE SANDOKAI:

The Identity of Relative and Absolute
(Sandokai)

EVERYONE:

The mind of the Great Sage of India

Is intimately conveyed west and east.

While human faculties are both wise or dull

In the Way there are no northern or southern ancestors.

The subtle Source shines clear in the light;

The branching streams flow in the dark.

To be attached to things is primordial illusion;

To encounter the absolute is not yet enlightenment.

* All spheres, every sense and field

intermingle even as they shine alone,

Interacting even as they merge,

Yet keeping their places in expressions of their own.

Sights differ primally in shape and character

And sounds in harsh or soothing tones.

The dark makes all words one;

The brightness distinguishes good and bad phrases.

The four elements return to their true nature

As a child turns to its mother.

Fire is hot, water is wet,

Wind moves and the earth is dense.

Eye and form, ear and sound, nose and smell,

Tongue and taste, the sweet and sour:

Each independent of the other

Like leaves that come from the same root.

And though leaves and root must go back to the Source

Both root and leaves have their own uses.

Light is also darkness,

But do not think of it as darkness.

Darkness is light;

Do not see it as light.

Light and darkness are not one, not two

Like the foot before and the foot behind in walking.

* Each thing has its own being

Which is not different from its place and function.

The relative fits the absolute

As a box and its lid.

The absolute meets the relative

Like two arrow points that touch in mid air.

* Hearing this, simply perceive what is,

Make no criterion.

If you do not see the Way,

You do not see it even as you walk upon it.

Walking forward in the way

You draw no nearer, progress no farther.

One who fails to see this truth

Is mountains and rivers away.

* Listen, those who would percieve this subtle matter:

* Live well your time by night and day!

Kakunen
02-01-2018, 09:58 AM
Thank you very much.

I will try to sit two way from beach house.

Nine bows
Gassho
Sat today
Kakunen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seishin
02-01-2018, 10:45 AM
Looking forward to this talk. It will be ZOD for me over a few days. Thank you.

Enjaku
02-01-2018, 01:17 PM
I'm hopeful to join in LIVE but I might have to go to bed after the Dharma talk and finish off in the morning!!
:sleeping:

Gassho,
Enjaku
Sat LAH

Jundo
02-01-2018, 02:03 PM
I'm hopeful to join in LIVE but I might have to go to bed after the Dharma talk and finish off in the morning!!
:sleeping:

Gassho,
Enjaku
Sat LAH

The "on non-demand" any time version is just the same, especially if one drops from mind "now and then, here and there" ... which is the point of the "Absolute" by the way. [monk]

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Mp
02-01-2018, 02:45 PM
Thank you Jundo, will be sitting with you all live two way. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Jakuden
02-01-2018, 11:48 PM
I have to do a home euthanasia after hours tomorrow, so I will either join late or sit this over the weekend.

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

Shinshi
02-01-2018, 11:53 PM
I'll be there sitting one way.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

Kyonin
02-02-2018, 12:20 AM
I'll be there live with my instruments ready :)

Gassho,

Kyonin
Sat/LAH

Doshin
02-02-2018, 12:34 AM
gassho2

Doshin
St

Jundo
02-02-2018, 01:31 AM
I have to do a home euthanasia after hours tomorrow, so I will either join late or sit this over the weekend.

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

This is your place of Practice, where the Relative and Absolute truly meet.

Gassho, J

STLAH

Jakuden
02-02-2018, 02:24 AM
This is your place of Practice, where the Relative and Absolute truly meet.

Gassho, J

STLAH

[emoji120]

Sekishi
02-02-2018, 05:20 AM
Thank you for caring for sentient beings Jakuden.

Will sit two-way tomorrow, tech willing.

Deep bows,
Sekishi
#sat

Sent from my Tricorder using Tapatalk Pro

Mp
02-02-2018, 10:53 PM
Hey folks,

Here is the link for the zazenkai if needed: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/urqvyjc4zjcmdmjbnpxvqntrpye

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Shinshi
02-03-2018, 03:00 AM
There was a lot in there today! Night ad Day, Darkness and Light, the Hokey Pokey, Enchiladas, and Elvis!

Thank you for your teaching Jundo.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

Shokai
02-03-2018, 03:02 AM
Thank you Jundo, Kyonin and all who sat and will sit; don't fall off you bike [monk]

gassho,Shokai

stlah

Sekishi
02-03-2018, 03:04 AM
Thank you all. May we all realize our true nature of whole hokey pokeying enchilada!

Gassho,
#sat #hp

Sekishi
02-03-2018, 03:26 AM
Hi all,

Silly question for you: when I try to watch the video, it jumps from 4 hours long, to 2 hours long and starts in the middle of Jundo's talk. Is anyone else seeing this?

Confused gassho,
Sekishi #sat

Jundo
02-03-2018, 03:34 AM
Hi all,

Silly question for you: when I try to watch the video, it jumps from 4 hours long, to 2 hours long and starts in the middle of Jundo's talk. Is anyone else seeing this?

Confused gassho,
Sekishi #sat

It sometimes does this when the recording is still processing. it should fix itself.

By the way, Sekishi, can you add the Hokie-Pokie to the podcast this time? It is part of the talk really. Thank you.

Gassho, J

STLAH

Sekishi
02-03-2018, 03:36 AM
It sometimes does this when the recording is still processing. it should fix itself.

That makes sense. I’ll go take a bath and then try again. [emoji4]

By the way, Sekishi, can you add the Hokie-Pokie to the podcast this time? It is part of the talk really. Thank you.

Absolutely. Because that’s what it’s all about!

Gassho,
Sekishi
#sat #turnedabout

Kakunen
02-03-2018, 04:07 AM
Thank you.

I have no power to sit today.So I only hear Dharma talk,I like Sandokai very much,and helpful for me at my situation.

Gassho
Kakunen

Jundo
02-03-2018, 04:55 AM
Jishin posted this recently, a view of "Absolute Enlightenment" beyond all thoughts of things and divisions ...

http://instant-enlightenment.com/

But, "To encounter the absolute is not yet enlightenment." Know that this is also the same page ...

https://www.lingscars.com

(actually watch that for a couple of minutes [scared] )

They, and every image and word on the whole internet, are not two. Do you see? :)

Gassho, J

STLAH

Eva
02-03-2018, 10:45 AM
Thank you to all for Zazenkai,
it was my first and not the last one.

Thank you for the Talk, Jundo, I'd say hearing the humour of whole enchilada is nice especially in the middle of the night (darkness) :D

Gassho
eva
isattoday

Meishin
02-03-2018, 06:07 PM
Wow, Jundo, Sandokai for Dummies! Got it! [claps]
Thank you all for our practice.

Gassho
Meishin
Sat Today LAH

PS. Jundo, really sorry we didn't get to the Elvis Memorial in Austin.

Sekishi
02-03-2018, 06:10 PM
Posted as a hokey pokey podcast episode!
https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/february-2018-zazenkai-talk-sandokai-the-identity-of-relative-and-absolute/

Gassho,
Sekishi

#sat

Eishuu
02-04-2018, 09:09 AM
Thank you all. Wonderful talk gassho2

Gassho
Eishuu
ST/LAH

Sekishi
02-04-2018, 06:31 PM
To augment Jundo's example of the earth falling "up" to meet the apple, here is a wonderful "reference frames" physics (and Dharma?) lesson courtesy of some fine gentleman from the University of Toronto in 1960. Yes, it is black and white and everyone speaks with quaint diction, but it really is one of the best ways I know of to learn about the topic Jundo was ... referencing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJMYoj4hHqU

Gassho,
Sekishi #sat #sidewaysandupsidedown

Kotei
02-05-2018, 05:56 AM
Thank you all.

Sekishi, your video makes me think about Einstein, asking "When does Zurich stop at this train?"

( And it also reminds me on how Rhetorical framing in politics shape our minds more and more these days and if our practice might be an antidote for that, too. )

Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Tairin
02-05-2018, 04:20 PM
Wonder talk. Thank you

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today

Onkai
02-06-2018, 06:50 PM
Thank you, Jundo, Kyonin, and everyone. So glad that being away from my computer on Friday night doesn't mean missing the zazenkai.

Gassho,
Onkai
Sat/LAH

Seishin
02-07-2018, 08:05 AM
Thank you everyone, wonderful talk. Will have to watch the rest of "Sekishi's" video, finding the first 5 minutes intriguing and jogging distant memories of school physics lessons eons ago, thank you.

Souchi
02-07-2018, 08:14 AM
Thanks for sitting together [gassholook]

Gassho,
Stefan/Souchi

SatToday

Kokuu
02-07-2018, 04:22 PM
Thank you all for sitting the whole enchilada!

Gassho
Kokuu

Meitou
02-09-2018, 07:01 PM
Such a great zazenkai - I love that I can sit this in another space and time, but sometimes I would really love to be actually in the Zendo, right there in the room and this was one of those times! Thank you Jundo and our friends who are lucky enough to be with you, everyone who is sitting, and to the technology that makes it possible for me to sit with you all.
Gassho
Meitou
satwithyoualltoday/lah

Byokan
02-09-2018, 09:08 PM
Thank you dear Sangha! gassho1

Gassho
Byōkan
sat + lah

Jakuden
02-10-2018, 08:52 PM
Finished sitting this, thank you so much everyone. Wonderful talk Jundo Roshi gassho1

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH