PDA

View Full Version : Opinions?

Rob VanCamp
10-25-2017, 12:40 AM
Greetings Sangha!

Out of the blue this evening, I find myself waiting on a veggie burger at Denny's. It occurs to me that I have a few minutes to kill, so I start a seated zazen right there in the Denny's! As good a place as any, I suposed. I could always use the time sitting.

My question is - does that come off as obnoxious? I mean it was just me, hands below the table, staring at Japan (or more probably the Ukraine) through the opposite bench. Not being obviousnor ostentatious about it.

What are your thoughts?

Gassho
🙏

I sat

Geika
10-25-2017, 12:44 AM
I wouldn't call it obnoxious, I do stuff like this all the time. I don't make it obvious, though.

Gassho, sat today, lah

Doshin
10-25-2017, 12:56 AM
I wouldn't call it obnoxious, I do stuff like this all the time. I don't make it obvious, though.

Gassho, sat today, lah

Me too...doctor offices, auto repair shop, the few times my wife asked me to attend church with her. Jundo has suggested as much:)

Gassho
Doshin
St/lah

RichardH
10-25-2017, 01:04 AM
Hi Rob. If you are truly just sitting, there will be nothing for people to see, except for someone sitting quietly. There is no reason to be mannered about it in public, no reason to make a show. Just sit quietly, giving no thought to how you may or may not be percieved by others. :)

Gassho
Daizan

Sat today/LAH

Mp
10-25-2017, 01:18 AM

Gassho, sat today, lah

Yes diddo ... I do it all the time. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Jundo
10-25-2017, 02:06 AM
Hi Rob,

I do that kind of Practice DAILY! Now, no need to be too obvious about it always. Yes, sometimes I will get in Lotus Posture in a park, but often I just sit in the waiting room of a doctor's office or on the train, on a bench in the playground as my kid plays (one eye still on the kid), during a really dull business meeting, at the family dinner when Uncle Lou starts arguing politics with Grandma ... you name it. No need to be too obvious in a way that may make others feel uncomfortable or my boss to wonder if I am on drugs ... :)

I just put my hands in my lap, close my eyes halfway as if looking down, and it just looks like a guy in a chair thinking or having a nap.

(There are times too to be noticeable about it too, if you want others to see and be inspired, like my friend who sits Zazen in the park with a sign protesting war).

Actually, there is a Talk on this in our "Always Beginner's Series" (have you watched those?). Please have a look again ... (and the copyright notice is just a joke) ...

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (13)

You don’t even have to “sit” for these “Insta-sittings©,“ and they can be walked down the street or in the grocery store aisle, or stood holding a strap on the bus. Also, an Insta-Zazen © can be of any length, starting from but a moment until infinite time (really the same when all is timeless!). We do Insta-Zazen © at points in our day when just a bit of “Zen Mind”© will change our perspective on all things, when a touch of balance will bring life into balance…

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?14883-Sit-a-Long-with-Jundo-Zazen-for-Beginners-%2813%29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmUK9bxOo0g

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Ps - Rob, would you mind to change your avatar picture to a human face? Although the stones are all of us too, it is something that helps us keep this place a little more human, and look each other in the eye a bit. Thank you.

Mp
10-25-2017, 02:49 AM

Ok Jundo ... that was great, a great reminder and a great presentation, love it! =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Ishin
10-25-2017, 03:27 AM
To me here what becomes important is intent. If your intent is to truly just sit, then this in my opinion is ok. Sometimes, yes sitting in protest, with an intent to instill radical peace in others is great too. If your intent is to show everybody how "zen" you are, and to lift yourself up, then I think there is an issue, because that isn't JUST sitting. That becomes some kind of ego trip. It's kind of like writing a big check to charity and making sure you tell everyone all about it.

Gassho
Ishin
Sat Today Lah

Meitou
10-25-2017, 07:16 AM
Yes I do this too. Just recently I've been keeping my husband company on some routine hospital check ups and I've found that hospital waiting rooms are great places to sit - all of life (and death) is there. It's so much better than sitting there feeling impatient or frustrated and there's no outward sign that I'm doing anything but sitting quietly, hands in lap.
I also do a little instant zazen whenever I have to queue, a great antidote to impatience and again, no-one sees anything other than someone standing quietly.
And actually supermarket queues are great places to practice generosity and gratitude - if someone in the queue behind me has less items, I will let them go in front of me, why not,every little helps.
Gassho
Frankie
Satwithyoualltoday /lah

Eishuu
10-25-2017, 07:45 AM
I've had quite a few hospital visits over the last couple of years. I also found the hospital a great place to practice zazen, particularly sitting with the anxiety and not knowing and practising gratitude to all the people helping me. I don't tend to do the mudra, just sit normally. No one notices.

When I lived in the city, I used to meditate on the tube, in queues, on buses...all the 'inbetween' times.

I would just notice if your mind is making a big deal of that fact you are sitting in public, and if so let it go. (If you ever feel really self-conscious you can wear dark glasses!)

Gassho
Lucy
ST/LAH

Tairin
10-25-2017, 12:00 PM
I do this all the time. Like others have said I don’t make a big show of it. I’ve sat in airports waiting for my plane to board, I’ve sat on planes and trains, I’ve sat in the doctor’s office waiting room, I’ve sat on a shopping mall bench waiting for my wife, I’ve sat in the car. Basically when I am waiting on something and feel the inclination to just mindlessly use my mobile device I sit instead.

Gassho
Warren
Sat today

JimH
10-25-2017, 02:40 PM
This literally made me laugh out loud as I sit alone in my office this morning! I've been concerned about an issue at work, and found myself getting a bit *too* concerned about it. On my drive in this morning, I figured I'd need to set the issue aside and get my mind back to center....so, I sat at my desk and did 10 minutes of sitting zazen. Worked wonders. :)

I occasionally do this at work when I feel the pre-cursors of stress coming on. It's a good way of saying, "Ah, yes....I see you, stress. Let me take a few minutes to listen to you, and then I'll kindly tell you that I can't come out and play right now."

Personally, I think as long as you are in the moment and not doing anything for show (you know, not getting up on the table, sitting in lotus, and saying "OM" over and over), there's no problem. If you can find peace in activity around you, you are already ahead of the game. And doing it at a restaurant? Food for the mind/soul as well as the body! :)

Gassho--

--JimH (SatToday)

Rob VanCamp
10-25-2017, 11:41 PM
Hi Rob. If you are truly just sitting, there will be nothing for people to see, except for someone sitting quietly. There is no reason to be mannered about it in public, no reason to make a show. Just sit quietly, giving no thought to how you may or may not be percieved by others. :)

Gassho
Daizan

Sat today/LAH

The reason I asked is because when the server brought the dinner, she seemed, I don't known confused I guess. I didn't say anything except 'thank you'. I don't know what she thought. Maybe I just seemed 'zoned out' to her...

Rob VanCamp
10-25-2017, 11:47 PM
Hi Rob,

I do that kind of Practice DAILY! Now, no need to be too obvious about it always. Yes, sometimes I will get in Lotus Posture in a park, but often I just sit in the waiting room of a doctor's office or on the train, on a bench in the playground as my kid plays (one eye still on the kid), during a really dull business meeting, at the family dinner when Uncle Lou starts arguing politics with Grandma ... you name it. No need to be too obvious in a way that may make others feel uncomfortable or my boss to wonder if I am on drugs ... :)

I just put my hands in my lap, close my eyes halfway as if looking down, and it just looks like a guy in a chair thinking or having a nap.

(There are times too to be noticeable about it too, if you want others to see and be inspired, like my friend who sits Zazen in the park with a sign protesting war).

Actually, there is a Talk on this in our "Always Beginner's Series" (have you watched those?). Please have a look again ... (and the copyright notice is just a joke) ...

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Ps - Rob, would you mind to change your avatar picture to a human face? Although the stones are all of us too, it is something that helps us keep this place a little more human, and look each other in the eye a bit. Thank you.

I don't post images myself online...

Mp
10-25-2017, 11:54 PM
I don't post images myself online...

Hey Rob,

I can understand that ... you would have a photo that makes that human connection, but can't really tell it is you? =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Geika
10-25-2017, 11:58 PM
Rob, you could post a highly edited photo of yourself, something altered enough to the point that no one you know would be able to recognize. Perhaps PM Jundo about why we have pictures of ourselves as our avatars, he can suggest some alternatives. We are a real sangha, not just a forum, and if we were attending a physical zendo, we would all be able to see each other's face.

Gassho, sat today, lah

Rob VanCamp
10-26-2017, 12:15 AM
Rob, you could post a highly edited photo of yourself, something altered enough to the point that no one you know would be able to recognize. Perhaps PM Jundo about why we have pictures of ourselves as our avatars, he can suggest some alternatives. We are a real sangha, not just a forum, and if we were attending a physical zendo, we would all be able to see each other's face.

Gassho, sat today, lah

No, but if its going to be an issue I'd be happy to bow out gracefully and leave...

Geika
10-26-2017, 12:35 AM
Rob, instead of leaving, perhaps PM Jundo and you both can discuss what you would be comfortable with. Having an actual portrait, even if it is not quite a picture of you, is one of the rules here, and it's meant to keep the atmosphere of a physical sangha, so that we all get to know each other more closely than is possible on the average Buddhist forum. I have yet to see anyone leave over it. I'm sure that he can help you figure out what the best option would be, if you discuss your privacy concerns with him.

Maybe some other members with similar concerns can chime in here and explain what they did.

We have a few rules like this, another one being that we make sure we sit in the twenty-four hours before posting. We indicate this by ending our posts with "sat today." Some find these rules arbitrary, but it keeps us all on the same page.

Gassho, sat today, lah

HAN SEN
10-26-2017, 12:47 AM
It's all good.. once you turn 65 or older no one will even notice LOL

HAN SEN
10-26-2017, 12:47 AM
it's all good.. Once you turn 65 or older no one will even notice lol

sat today and it was great !!

Mp
10-26-2017, 01:37 AM
Rob, instead of leaving, perhaps PM Jundo and you both can discuss what you would be comfortable with.

Hey Rob, yes ... please chat with Jundo first, it is great having you here and don't want to see you go. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sat/LAH

Jundo
10-26-2017, 01:41 AM
No, but if its going to be an issue I'd be happy to bow out gracefully and leave...

I will write you. We have had a couple of folks whose work or preferences would not allow this because of personal issues, such as people in law enforcement who are not allowed. We can work something out. I will write you.

Here is what we usually recommend, part of our confidentiality suggestions here (check out Item 4).

CONFIDENTIALITY TIPS for Sangha Members
https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?8531-CONFIDENTIALITY-TIPS-for-Sangha-Members

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Rob VanCamp
10-26-2017, 01:44 AM
Its obviously important to you. I will leave. Thank you all.

Jundo
10-26-2017, 01:52 AM
Its obviously important to you. I will leave. Thank you all.

Hi Rob,

I just PM'd you.

Yes, if we were a brick and mortar Sangha, it would be strange if somebody came in with a mask. However. because we are online, we actually can deal with some special issues, such as folks in law enforcement whose lives could be at risk, people with past stalker issues or a past that they are trying to move beyond, folks just who are shy ... so we have some tips and procedures. I wrote to you.

Gassho, J

SatToday