PDA

View Full Version : LIVING by VOW: The Robe Chant - pp 79 - 86 (All Chapter 4)

Jundo
07-14-2017, 04:37 AM
We continue our readings, this time on the Verse of the Kesa ...

Again, much richness of meaning and symbolism sewn into these pages. What resonates with you (or leaves you in stitches!) :p ... ?

So much beauty here, but the last few lines of the last page may capture it all.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Entai
07-14-2017, 04:56 PM
I found this chapter especially interesting. I'm currently sewing the Kesa. It didn't strike me until now that I'm not only sewing with needle, thread and material. I'm sewing the Kesa every day. When I sit, when I get up and move forward with the day. I'm sewing the Kesa of my life.

"We unfold this teaching through practice. We receive the teaching of the Tathāgata, unfold it, wear it, and are covered by it. This is the meaning of wearing the okesa and practicing zazen."

Gassho,
Entai
Sat today /lah

Mp
07-14-2017, 05:18 PM
I'm not only sewing with needle, thread and material. I'm sewing the Kesa every day. When I sit, when I get up and move forward with the day. I'm sewing the Kesa of my life.

Lovely! =)

Gassho
Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Joyo
07-15-2017, 03:27 AM
Thank you Jundo, I will work my way through this chapter stitch by stitch =)

Gassho,
Joyo
sat today/lah

Jakuden
07-15-2017, 01:32 PM
Wow, I just asked about the Japanese robe verse on here a few days ago, and voila--the chant has now taken on it's own life apart from the English translation. Grateful to have this to set the stage for the beginning Kesa journey.
Gassho
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doshin
07-15-2017, 03:13 PM
My ears are joyful when Shingen chants it before we sit. Thank you brother.

Gassho
Doshin
st/lah

Mp
07-15-2017, 03:16 PM
My ears are joyful when Shingen chants it before we sit. Thank you brother.

Gassho
Doshin
st/lah
Thank you my friend. =)

Deep bows
Shingen

SatToday/LAH

aprapti
07-15-2017, 06:22 PM
nice chapter again. I wonder can we just read "(o)rakusu"for okesa ? And what about sanghamembers without one of them ?

So much beauty here, but the last few lines of the last page may capture it all.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

i think these last lines answer my question..

gassho2
Coos
std/lah

Mp
07-15-2017, 07:21 PM
nice chapter again. I wonder can we just read "(o)rakusu"for okesa ? And what about sanghamembers without one of them ?

i think these last lines answer my question..

gassho2
Coos
std/lah

Hello Coos,

I always say to folk who may not have rakusu and come sit with me is, listen to the robe chant and feel it fully in your heart. The robe chant goes beyond words, beyond fabric and thread ... the robe verse holds the whole universe, our whole lives and everything in it.

I am sure it is ok for me to say it here, but I have a member that sits with me and when we put the rakusu upon our head for chanting the robe verse, he puts a article of fabric that is dear to him around his neck. It may not be the traditional rakusu or kesa, but to him it holds all that the robe verse represents ... to me, this is a beautiful expression and always make me smile. =)

Gassho
Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Meitou
07-16-2017, 11:13 PM
Hello Coos,

I always say to folk who may not have rakusu and come sit with me is, listen to the robe chant and feel it fully in your heart. The robe chant goes beyond words, beyond fabric and thread ... the robe verse holds the whole universe, our whole lives and everything in it.

I am sure it is ok for me to say it here, but I have a member that sits with me and when we put the rakusu upon our head for chanting the robe verse, he puts a article of fabric that is dear to him around his neck. It may not be the traditional rakusu or kesa, but to him it holds all that the robe verse represents ... to me, this is a beautiful expression and always make me smile. =)

Gassho
Shingen

SatToday/LAH

I'm so glad you shared this Shingen because it's such a beautiful thing, I don't have a rakasu either ( yet!!) and this was very inspirational for me.
New to this tradition I have never heard the Robe Verse before, I found it very moving and have a lot to learn in this chapter, all new territory for me.

Gassho
Frankie

satwithyoualltoday/LAH

Jakuden
07-17-2017, 12:25 AM
Thank you Jundo, I will work my way through this chapter stitch by stitch =)

Gassho,
Joyo
sat today/lah

I like your new Avatar Joyo :)

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

Jundo
07-17-2017, 12:45 AM
I like your new Avatar Joyo :)

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday/LAH

Yes, I do too Joyo. And the new beard ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/image.php?u=16030&dateline=1498281242

(I kid, I kid ... )

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Joyo
07-17-2017, 01:58 AM
Thank you Jundo and Jakuden =)

Jundo, glad you like the beard, it's taken years to grow it this long!! I just wanted someone to finally notice it. =)

Gassho,
Joyo
sat today/lah

Meishin
07-18-2017, 03:15 AM
"Emptiness means moving and changing moment by moment."

gassho2

Gassho
Meishin
Sat today lah

aprapti
07-18-2017, 03:11 PM
Yes, I do too Joyo. And the new beard ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/image.php?u=16030&dateline=1498281242

(I kid, I kid ... )

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

gassho1

gassho2
coos

std/lah

Joyo
07-20-2017, 01:56 AM
gassho1

gassho2
coos

std/lah

It looks good on you, Aprapti. =)

Gassho,
Joyo
sat today/lah

MyoHo
07-20-2017, 07:12 PM
Sewing, always sewing this wonderfull robe.

Gassho

MyoHo

aprapti
07-20-2017, 07:29 PM
It looks good on you, Aprapti. =)

Gassho,
Joyo
sat today/lah

Thank you, Joyo.
its more taoistic than zen, but..

gassho2
Coos

std

AlanLa
07-21-2017, 01:19 AM
This chapter is a reminder of how sewing my rakusu was one of the most wonderful things I have ever done here at Treeleaf. I can think of no single action that has been a better or more direct teaching of how to honor the process that is so essential to Zen. I know every stitch in it because of the awareness cultivated in the growing and sewing of it, and that is its reward that I try (and fail) to honor as this chapter describes. My rakusu is one of my most (pricelessly) valuable possessions, but I would not fret if it were somehow destroyed. Its teaching lives a life far greater than its form, thus making it formless.

Tairin
07-22-2017, 08:43 PM
One day the Buddha, walking in the countryside with his attendant Ānanda, noticed the beautiful patterns of rice paddies newly planted with green seedlings and surrounded by footpaths. They are especially beautiful in the rainy season when the rice is new. The Buddha remarked to Ānanda, “These are so beautiful. Could you make a robe like this?” Ānanda agreed.

I didn't participate in Jukai last year but watched with fascination as last year's Jukai participants dutifully took large pieces of fabric, cut it up into small pieces and then sowed it all back together. Aside from the inherent practice of sewing I assumed there was some method to the madness. Now I understand. gassho2

I am very much enjoying this book.

Gassho
Warren
Sat today

Meitou
07-24-2017, 07:39 PM
This chapter is a reminder of how sewing my rakusu was one of the most wonderful things I have ever done here at Treeleaf. I can think of no single action that has been a better or more direct teaching of how to honor the process that is so essential to Zen. I know every stitch in it because of the awareness cultivated in the growing and sewing of it, and that is its reward that I try (and fail) to honor as this chapter describes. My rakusu is one of my most (pricelessly) valuable possessions, but I would not fret if it were somehow destroyed. Its teaching lives a life far greater than its form, thus making it formless.

As I said earlier, this is all new ground for me, so as well as reading this chapter, I also read Master Dogen's words on Robe Transmission in the Shobogenzo which I found really informative.( I do like his disparaging, no faffing about style - his use of 'pitiful' and 'laughable' also made me laugh).
What I've learnt in this chapter is very simple - I really like the idea of actually 'wearing' the Dharma , I love the idea of sewing a rakusu too and I hope to be able to do that... but if all of this inspired me, nothing could have inspired me more than AlanLa's post above. Deepest of bows to you AlanLa. perfect words. gassho2

Gassho,
Frankie

Satwithyoualltoday/lah

Meian
07-28-2017, 09:07 PM
I'm still reading this book, just in a weird order. Actually been jumping around a bit, reading small sections and reflecting on what I read. I've been busy with school and family - and my local sangha has asked me to get involved in their outreach work in our community (walk the talk). So I am able to help in projects involving homeless, addiction rehabilitation, the elderly, and suicide intervention programs.

As I read sections of the book, I feel it calling me to put my actions where my professed beliefs are. Maybe I'm wrong in this, but it feels to me that it challenges me to look at what I say I believe from another angle. What I read is coinciding (synchronicity) with the community work and my life events going on. The sangha I go to is a bit of a drive, and my sangha mates have been gently asking me when I will relocate closer to them (working on it, big task). My neurologist has cleared me of major health issues and "ordered" me back to sangha for my own health and well-being (I'm serious, she did).

So I continue to read the book, read posts quietly here at TreeLeaf, and my family/grad school - I have added community service thru my local sangha that varies depending on which organization we're partnering with. The sangha asked me to join their BoD this fall, so that will open more opportunities to serve my community and the sangha. Living By Vow is helping me to clarify many things in my life and practice in surprising ways - I am grateful to be reading it, even if I'm reading it in a different order :-)

Gassho
Kim
St/lh

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk