PDA

View Full Version : Sit-a-Long with Jundo: My Uplifting, Inspiring, Hopeful, Optimistic New Years Message

Jundo
12-30-2016, 10:46 AM
http://i1.wp.com/teepr.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/583bd3ef899ed.jpg?w=618

The past year has seen its ups and downs ... a lot of downs it seems. Next year will likely be so too. (And the year after that!)

This is the roller coaster of life.

Do you know the still and quiet center at the heart of all ups and downs?

Do you know that the world has always been so?

Do you know that things are probably not as down (or as up) as you might think?

You are less likely to die a violent death today than at any other time in human history. In fact, violence has been declining for centuries. That is the arresting claim made by Harvard University cognitive neuroscientist Steven Pinker ... Just a couple of centuries ago, violence was pervasive. Slavery was widespread, wife and child beating were acceptable practices, heretics and witches were burned at the stake, pogroms and race riots were common, and warfare was nearly constant.... anthropologists have found that people were nine times as likely to die violent deaths in the prehistoric period than in modern times, even allowing for the world wars and genocides of the 20th century. Europe’s murder rate was 30 times higher in the Middle Ages than it is today. What happened? Human nature did not change, but our institutions did, encouraging people to restrain their natural tendencies toward violence.
(LINK (http://reason.com/archives/2012/01/11/the-decline-of-violence) ; for some of the recent debate of the question LINK (https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/steven-pinker-john-gray-and-the-end-of-war/) )

Let's get real ... let's not go to extremes of exaggerated pessimism or cockeyed optimism!

What transcends "up" and "down" even as we strive to make the world better?

We have lots of problems, sure, and more chance now to get to work and fix some things!

The roller coaster of life ... flow with the ride!

https://youtu.be/St7bzCDa3VY

Listen Through our Treeleaf Audio Podcast HERE:
https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/december-2016-sit-a-long-with-jundo-my-uplifting-inspiring-hopeful-optimistic-new-years-message/[/CENTER]

Mp
12-30-2016, 12:19 PM
Awesome talk Jundo,thank you! If we choose to see, whether in the middle of a storm or under the vast blue sky the sun is ALWAYS shinning ... peace and love to you all! =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Kyonin
12-30-2016, 01:16 PM
Hi Jundo,

I couldn't be more in accord to this teaching. A lot of the unhappiness and rage is created by our minds and to the fact that we often forget to look back at history. If we just graba history book we can understand that all this has been cooking up for (perhaps) centuries... but at the same time most of people have things that even pharaohs couldn't even imagine having.

There is peace when we sit because we come to a place where all our thoughts just pass on by. This calmness and unity with the Wholeness of the universe gives us the strength to keep on moving forward and work for the benefit of all.

Thank you for this teaching and for being the coolest Zen DJ ever :D

Gassho,

Kyonin

Taiyo
12-30-2016, 02:58 PM
Great teaching... and great moves!! Thank you, Jundo :)

Gassho,
Andoitz.

SatToday

Washin
12-30-2016, 07:28 PM
Thank you for the teaching, Jundo gassho1

Gassho
Washin
sat today

Kyotai
12-30-2016, 08:36 PM
Thank you Jundo. A wonderful talk and message to start the new year.

Gassho, Kyotai
ST

MacK
12-30-2016, 08:46 PM
Fantastic!

Gassho
Karen
Sat today

Doshin
12-30-2016, 08:48 PM
Thank you. Good advice to start another years journey with.

Gassho
Doshin
Sattoday

PS was that Disco?

Banto
12-30-2016, 08:55 PM
DJ Jazzy Jundo (and the fresh Unsuis!)
Thank you. Great topic.

Your points on the kings and Pharaohs and such reminded me of this hilarious "Everything is amazing and nobody's happy" bit by CK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8LaT5Iiwo4

"It's amazing!" ... "you're sitting in a chair, in the sky" responding to complainers on a flight

Not reaching for, clinging to or resisting the high and low points, may we all embrace all conditions of life. As they are.
Rodney SatToday

Jyukatsu
12-30-2016, 09:46 PM
Thank you Jundo, awesome talk ( and moves ) :)

Gassho,
Marina
sat today

Ansan
12-31-2016, 02:04 AM
Thank you, Jundo for the inspiration to dance with life.

Deep bows & Gassho
Ansan

SatToday

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Jakuden
12-31-2016, 02:27 AM
gassho2 Thank you Jundo!
Was trying to say similar things to my 17-year-old daughter today, not nearly as eloquently (or with as groovy dance moves). Our pessimism really affects the younger generation, they need some messages of hope now and then!!!!

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday

Jundo
12-31-2016, 06:15 AM
DJ Jazzy Jundo (and the fresh Unsuis!)
Thank you. Great topic.

Your points on the kings and Pharaohs and such reminded me of this hilarious "Everything is amazing and nobody's happy" bit by CK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8LaT5Iiwo4

"It's amazing!" ... "you're sitting in a chair, in the sky" responding to complainers on a flight

Not reaching for, clinging to or resisting the high and low points, may we all embrace all conditions of life. As they are.
Rodney SatToday

The most important comedy bit of recent times ... everyone in the West should be made to memorize it and recite daily.

Gassho, J

SatToday

themonk614
01-01-2017, 06:44 AM
Hi, Jundo,

Love the dance moves... :)

I'm, too, am worried about the future.

It was quite an eye opener to know that things are not what they seem be. In fact, things are getting better!

Thank you, Jundo.

This has helped me to look towards the future with more hope and optimism...

Gassho,
Matt

SatToday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jakuden
01-01-2017, 02:43 PM
The most important comedy bit of recent times ... everyone in the West should be made to memorize it and recite daily.

Gassho, J

SatToday

This is awesome!! [emoji23][emoji23]
Gassho
Jakuden
SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toun
01-01-2017, 03:39 PM
Jundo

Thank you for such an inspiring and down to earth message as we start a new year.
Love the "moves"!

Deep bows
Mike
Sat2day

Deirdre
01-01-2017, 04:27 PM
Thank you, Jundo, for this important teaching. And thanks to you as well, Rodney, for sharing the wisdom of Louis CK. These are all wonderful reminders as we prepare to see what 2017 brings...love and rollercoasters for sure!! ;)

Gassho,
-Deirdre
sat2day

Shokai
01-02-2017, 02:56 AM
Where did my side pots go?

Thank you and gassho,

saToday (not on a plane)

Onkai
01-02-2017, 05:38 PM
Thank you, Jundo for the talk and the dance moves. I also liked the Louis CK video, Rodney. I'm ready for the new year now!

Gassho,
Onkai
SatToday

Jakuden
01-02-2017, 05:54 PM
Thanks Rodney for the video, I shared it on FB as you saw [emoji4] Such a great mantra for the new year.
We visited family last week, they live in beautiful, spacious, modern, immaculate homes. We came back to our cluttered, shabby little house in the country, and I spent yesterday doing Samu in the kitchen, as we had a mouse while we were gone (cats were boarded!! The saying is true!!) so I washed everything in the kitchen from top to bottom and was grateful for every dish and spoon. (And husband finally did his part and plugged the mouse-hole!) As the saying goes--another day above the ground instead of under it--it's all good.
Gassho
Jakuden
SatToday

Sekishi
01-02-2017, 06:35 PM
Sit-a-Long as a podcast episode: https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/december-2016-sit-a-long-with-jundo-my-uplifting-inspiring-hopeful-optimistic-new-years-message/

Gassho,
Sekishi

#sattoday

Kotei
01-03-2017, 09:12 AM
Thank you Jundo and all for sitting through this ups and downs together.

Gassho,
Kotei just watched and sat.

Kaishin
01-03-2017, 06:41 PM
Thank you, Jundo.

-satToday

Risho
01-03-2017, 07:40 PM
Thank you Jundo gassho2

I had a low this holiday season, which had more to do with going through my old college stuff and revisiting old, painful memories; it was from a place of nostalgia. 20 years ago, I had hair and I thought I knew everything! It's so funny how we change. It's so funny how much of my reality I create in my "holodeck" to steal your metaphor. I'm so thankful to have found this practice and to be able to practice and grow with you all.

Gassho,

Rish
-sattoday

Gokai
01-04-2017, 08:56 AM
Thank You very much Jundo
Great teachings. I do my best to follow that.
I wish that everyone can find that peace.
Gassho, David
Sattoday

Oukan
04-11-2017, 01:20 PM
Needs this thank you Jundo

Gassho

Oukan

Sat 2 day