PDA

View Full Version : New Zafu and Zabuton

Seishin
11-24-2016, 04:37 PM
I recently mentioned on our group "forum" on Insight Timer, that I was waiting for a new Zafu and Zabuton to arrive and a few folks wanted to know where I had ordered it from. I'm not sure if those on IT are forum members here but I thought I'd provide details here, if it could be of help.

After stopping martial arts and all its high kicking stretches 8 years ago, I found I was no longer to sit 1/4 lotus or Burmese but was able to manage the latter with some stretching but also some extra height. So I found some 40x20cm zafu online that I thought would do the job. I ended up ordering this set
http://www.leewadee.co.uk/meditation-and-thai-cushions/meditation/meditation-sets/4250587600551.html
from Leewadee via Amazon, mine via amazon.fr as postage was gratis:)

Anyway it arrived this afternoon and will get a test drive in the morning. Picture below includes the new set and the one I bought about 20 years ago, ironically despite 2 decades passing, the price was about the same.

I've included my "yet to be used/had it for 10 yrs/save it for old age/for when my legs go" seiza bench for comparrison.

I'll probably need a ladder to get started and end up with a nose bleed, given the size of the new cushion but I think we're gonna be close friends.

I was tempted here https://bluebanyan.co.uk/meditation-mats/meditation-sets/meditation-set-zafu-and-flat-mat-zen-black.html but the Leewadee mat is about twice the thickness and this is no different to my red one.

Hopfully, this will help anyone looking at the moment, although I know Jundo has posted similar threads but I couldn't find them, to tag this on.

Jishin
11-24-2016, 04:54 PM
What has helped me lately is just being fluid about what I use for siting without obsessing
on sizes of zafu/seiza benches/chairs/positions, etc. My body changes and so does my sitting.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Seishin
11-24-2016, 07:43 PM
What has helped me lately is just being fluid about what I use for siting without obsessing
on sizes of zafu/seiza benches/chairs/positions, etc. My body changes and so does my sitting.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Jishin

I hope one day in the future, I'll arrive at where you are now. But after just 85 days of sitting, after a break of many years and then only sporadic sitting as a stress coping mechanism prior to that, for now I'm happy just finding a foundation for the future. But hey I know you'll say the future and past is all right here right now. ;)

Entai
11-27-2016, 04:56 PM
Toby,
Thank you for sharing the info. I personally can't sit cross-legged in any form. I sit seiza with the zafu on its side. I made a bench once but don't use it anymore. When I'm not home I improvise with rolled up blankets. My legs fall asleep when I do. But, as Stephen Wright once said, "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?".
Best of luck with the new zafu.

Gassho, Entai
#SatToday

Seishin
11-28-2016, 11:33 AM
Toby,
Thank you for sharing the info. I personally can't sit cross-legged in any form. I sit seiza with the zafu on its side. I made a bench once but don't use it anymore. When I'm not home I improvise with rolled up blankets. My legs fall asleep when I do. But, as Stephen Wright once said, "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?".
Best of luck with the new zafu.

Gassho, Entai
#SatToday

Entai

New zafu is doing well although I'm still sitting in seiza. Getting there but not quite ready for Burmese. So some more stretching is needs for these old legs. Like you I sat seize with the zafu on its side to get better height but that was too low for my knees and after about 15 mins sitting nerves in my rear started going numb, all very entertaining when trying to stand! With the extra height I can place the zafu in its "normal" position and although my legs are a little wider, it feels more stable. Biggest help is new zabuton as its twice the thickness at least, of my old one. My right big toe which was shattered during martial arts sparing years ago no longer screams in pain. So much progress.

Robaato
11-28-2016, 08:44 PM
Hello Seishin-Do,

I've ordered almost the same Zabuton that you've bought circa one month ago. And I must admit that it's absolutely awesome. Those little squares make this Zabuton very durable and comfortable during Zazen.

It's one of the best Zabutons that I've used so far. Definitely worth buying.

Best wishes
Robaato

Seishin
11-29-2016, 10:32 AM
Hello Seshin-Do,

I've ordered almost the same Zabuton that you've bought circa one month ago. And I must admit that it's absolutely awesome. Those little squares make this Zabuton very durable and comfortable during Zazen.

It's one of the best Zabutons that I've used so far. Definitely worth buying.

Best wishes
Robaato

Robaato

Couldn't agree more. I was also surprised how solid they are, as I thought kapok would be softer than my old buckwheat set. Both give a very stable platform. Now if I could just switch off the blender......................[morehappy]