PDA

View Full Version : Jundo's India Diary: A Month of Travels & Pilgrimage

Jundo
11-03-2016, 03:23 PM
नमस्ते (NAMASTE)!gassho2

I am setting off to India (and a little bit of Nepal) for most of the coming month, November 10th through December 5th. I hope to bring you all with me as best I can, and will try to post updates and little films and such in this thread during the trip.

During that period though, for maybe the first time in 10 years, I will be otherwise pretty scarce around Treeleaf. I won't be posting much else or have much to say. Instead, this Community will be in the caring hands of our Novice-Priests in Training, Kyonin, Shugen, Shingen, Shokai, Daizan and Sekishi. They'll take care of everyone, be here as always for those who need, and keep the doors open.

Festivities commence this week in fact, with our Treeleaf 4-Hour Monthly Zazenkai for November, this time reflecting on our Indian roots, why Buddhism and Hindu beliefs are not so different at all (although very different too). The Talk centers on the Bhagavad-gītā, plus various teachings about India by Dogen and other non-Indian masters of old.

November 4th-5th, 2016 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI! NAMASTE INDIA!
http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?14865-November-4th-5th-2016-OUR-MONTHLY-4-hour-ZAZENKAI%21-NAMASTE-INDIA%21

The last 10 days of my trip will be a pilgrimage on a train and bus tour organized by the Indian government to many of the famous places of the founder, Gautama Buddha. The tour follows much of this route, to places including the historical Buddha's birthplace at Lumbini (now in Nepal), the location of his Enlightenment under the Bodhi Tree of Bodhgaya, the place of Buddha's First Teaching at the Deer Park in Sarnath, the site of so many Mahayana Sutras upon Vulture Peak near Rajgir, the Holy City of Benares (Varanase) on the Ganges, the traditional site of the Buddha's Pari-Nirvana upon death at Kushinaga, and other places too.

http://www.12seasonsmiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Pilgrimage-map.jpg

But since I am going all the way to India (my first time), I have decided to explore a bit of the country and its other religious traditions for a couple of weeks before. For this, I am putting aside the formal tours, reviving my old backpacker days, and hitting the road on my own. (Actually, John, a friend of 35 years from my college days got the crazy idea to fly from the other side of the world and come with me the first week. I said, "John, let's wander around India a bit". He said, "Sure, if you say wander around India, let's wander India!" You don't get friends in life like that too often.) I'm travelling with 4 t-shirts, a couple of pants and such, my toothbrush, a razor, a couple of guidebooks, my Rakusu and not much more (okay, a smart phone too!). What I have done is pick some special events, religious celebrations and sites to get a small taste of the unbelievable complexity of Bharat (what the Indians call India, by the way. I have spent the last few months reading whatever I could find on the history, religions, customs and such of India, and in some ways I think I know less now than when I started! )

Some of the small highlights include a visit to witness the festival of Guru Nanak Jayanti, celebrating the birthday of the founder of Sikhism, featuring amazing demonstrations of the Sikh martial art of Gatka. Here is a taste (I promise to keep a small distance from the live swords and the mace) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIq9dGz9j6c

We are off to visit the Sufis, and the Koranic singing known as Qawwali at Delhi's Hazrat Nizamuddin Mosque (it rocks) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBX8SM0dTh0

Then, we are off to the desert town of Bundi Rajastan for a few days (Here are some images of the town of Bundi itself) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1iweSXYpQM

... where a very local festival of Rajastani music, dance and sports happens called the Bundi Ustav ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASAyCTOQ_xA

Then a few days rest in the Hindu sacred town of Pushkar, sitting meditation with a Guru there called Swamiji (don't worry, I am just seeing how the other half lives a bit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yaP-l2p9GY

Swamiji ... he's the guru on the left ... (I wonder if that nice watch is guaranteed for all eternity?)

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8660/16432247670_67d32c57d5_z.jpg

So, I will take all of you along, and we will sit together next to the Bodhi Tree with fellow Buddhist folks from many places ...

http://p1.pstatp.com/large/3270008699017e80d5d

Master Dogen wrote this, shortly after his own return home from travels across the sea ...

In general, in our world and others, in both India and China, all equally hold the buddha-seal. While each lineage expresses its own style, they are all simply devoted to sitting, totally blocked in resolute stability. Although they say that there are ten thousand distinctions and a thousand variations, they just wholeheartedly engage the way in zazen. Why leave behind the seat in your own home to wander in vain through the dusty realms of other lands? If you make one misstep, you stumble past what is directly in front of you.

Namaste, Jundo

SatToday

Kokuu
11-03-2016, 03:38 PM
Don't Leave! [scared]

I imagine we will be very safe in the hands of the unsui and I don't think anyone has immediate plans to hold a huge party in the zendo while you are gone.

Happy travels and I look forward to hearing of your experiences. It is amazing how many spiritual traditions have come out of that one country, including our own.

Btw, while you are there beware of the phenomenon known as the English cricket fan. England are currently touring India and have a dedicated possé of loyal followers called The Barmy Army. Generally harmless, they can usually at least be counted upon to stand you a beer.

आप की यात्रा सुखद हो (āp kī yātrā sukhad ho - have a good journey!)
Kokuu
#sattoday

Eishuu
11-03-2016, 03:39 PM
Wishing you a wonderful trip Jundo!

Gassho
Lucy
Sat today

Mp
11-03-2016, 03:43 PM
Wow, a wonderful opportunity Jundo, very happy and excited for you! Look forward to the wonderful stories when you return. =)

Also, I look forward to helping and supporting ALL of you in anyway that I can while Jundo is off Global Trotting ... if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, always here for you. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Kyosei
11-03-2016, 04:06 PM
Have a good trip Jundo :)

Gassho

Marcos

#SatToday

Shugen
11-03-2016, 04:17 PM
Happy Trails Jundo!

(Who's turn is it to buy the beer for the party while he's gone? I think Shingen bought it last time....) [morehappy]

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday

Myosha
11-03-2016, 04:41 PM
Hello,

Happy trails.

May you always be 'at home'.

Gassho
Myosha
sat today

Sekishi
11-03-2016, 04:45 PM
(Who's turn is it to buy the beer for the party while he's gone? I think Shingen bought it last time....) [morehappy]

You ain't foolin' anyone Shugen, we know what your Ango commitments include. :D

Gassho,
Sekishi

#sattoday

Taiyo
11-03-2016, 05:36 PM
Have a great trip, Jundo! We'll be looking forward to reading from you when you get back :)

Gassho,
Andoitz.

SatToday.

Washin
11-03-2016, 06:08 PM
Wow! Have a good journey and safe return, Jundo!
Looking forward to further news about the trip.

Gassho
Washin
sattoday

Geika
11-03-2016, 06:45 PM
So exciting! Have a great time and be safe. We'll miss you!

I think I've read the Gita three to five times. I used to be a little yogi, myself, and had endless fascination for Hinduism. It'll be a good talk.

Gassho,sat today

Hoseki
11-03-2016, 07:07 PM
Have a good trip!

Gassho
Adam
Sattoday

Seido
11-03-2016, 08:00 PM
Safe and pleasant travels. I hope you enjoy the festivities, gain many insights and avoid stomach issues! Bring your own medicine (Advil, Imodium, etc.).

I am looking forward to seeing your posts and hearing your stories upon your return.

Gassho,
Seido,
SatToday

Shugen
11-03-2016, 08:25 PM
You ain't foolin' anyone Shugen, we know what your Ango commitments include. :D

Gassho,
Sekishi

#sattoday

[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjaku
11-03-2016, 08:39 PM
Have a great trip, Jundo.
Gassho,
Alex
Sat

Mp
11-03-2016, 08:41 PM
Happy Trails Jundo!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday
Ok Sekishi, Shugen's cut off this party time! =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Jishin
11-03-2016, 08:43 PM
Sounds like a blast from the past! :)

Have fun.

Gassho, Jishin, ST

Bokusei
11-03-2016, 09:40 PM
Happy Travels Jundo
Varanasi is magical, I recommend watching the sunrise over the Ganges if you get the chance.

gassho

saTToday

Doshin
11-03-2016, 09:57 PM
Wonderful. Safe journey.

Gassho
Doshin
sattoday

Roland
11-03-2016, 11:15 PM
Have a safe and illuminating trip...

Gassho

Roland
#SatToday

Joyo
11-03-2016, 11:24 PM
Happy and safe travels to you, Jundo. May you have a wonderful trip filled with many wonderful experiences.

Don't worry about those party animal priests, I think a few of us here will make sure they stay in line. =)

Gassho,
Joyo
sat today

Jakuden
11-04-2016, 12:26 AM
Oh I hope you have a wonderful time Jundo. Safe travels!
Gassho
Jakuden
SatToday

TaraB
11-04-2016, 12:53 AM
Wow! What an amazing trip. Looking forward to reading all about it. Safe travels!

Gassho,

Tara

Jyukatsu
11-04-2016, 01:49 AM
Namaste Jundo :) and have a wonderful time. I traveled to India several times and had the most amazing experiences; enjoyed every minute, except the malaria, so stay healthy and I look forward to hearing/reading about your travels.
Gassho,
Marina
sat today

Risho
11-04-2016, 04:53 AM
Jundo that sounds like so much fun! Have a great time!

Gassho

Risho
-sattoday

Jika
11-04-2016, 06:03 AM
Wishing you safe travels and a good time!

Gassho
Jika
#sattoday

Kotei
11-04-2016, 07:22 AM
Wow.
Safe travels!

Gassho, Kotei sattoday.

Seishin
11-04-2016, 11:09 AM
Travel safe and come back refreshed (spiritually). Look forward to the travelogues when the opportunities arise.

MyoHo
11-04-2016, 02:18 PM
safe travels and hopefully your mew hat is bent the right way. Have fun

Gassho

MyoHo

Jinyo
11-04-2016, 04:06 PM
Sounds wonderful - have a safe trip and look forward to hearing all about it.

gassho2

Willow/Jinyo

RichardH
11-04-2016, 04:17 PM
Have an amazing time Jundo. We'll mind the shop, collect the mail and water the plants :D ... and Treeleaf will be here in one piece when you return.

Gassho
Daizan

sat today

Toun
11-04-2016, 07:45 PM
Have a wonderful trip Jundo!

Gassho
Mike
Sat2day

Risho
11-04-2016, 09:00 PM
Maybe now is a good time to implement the April 1st initiative that Jundo keeps talking about every year - namely, no more chanting or sitting right? I mean we're all Buddha's, time to let the proverbial "wind" fan itself? hahahah

Gassho,

Risho
-sattoday

Shokai
11-07-2016, 02:38 PM
Travel well and may you return with much wisdom

gassho2 nine bows

sat Today

Kyotai
11-09-2016, 03:04 AM
Enjoy your trip and travel safe.

Gassho, Kyotai
ST

Jundo
11-09-2016, 07:56 PM
Dear All,

Well, I am about out the door, heading for the airport. Catch ya in a while crocodile (which, by the way, they really have in the river of the town where I am heading next week. I won't be swimming.)

Among other perils, welcome to our dystopian future: Delhi is suffering a freak smog alert this week that is setting records, enough for me to consult with my doctor before going, and to invest in industrial n95 face masks.

CNN: New Delhi is the most polluted city on Earth right now
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/07/asia/india-new-delhi-smog-pollution/index.html

India's capital is choking under off-the-charts smog, with some parts of the city reporting levels almost five times those considered "unhealthy" by the US environmental protection agency. ... Measurements taken at the US Embassy in Delhi put the city's Air Quality Index at 999 on Monday, off the standard chart, which finishes at the "hazardous" level of 500. By comparison, the highest AQI level recorded Monday in Baoding -- China's most polluted city -- was 298.

No problem: Until I head out of Delhi into the Dessert, don't drink the water, don't eat raw vegetables, and don't breathe! [scared]

(Let's also hope that the EPA isn't about to be eliminated in the USA)

I will leave you with a rather acerbic comment I found by Master Dogen on what he thought of pilgrims to India ... It is the grumpier version of his "Why leave behind the seat in your own home to wander in vain through the dusty realms of other lands? If you make one misstep, you stumble past what is directly in front of you" that I posted above. He didn't even mention the pollution ... (from Shobogenzo-Gyoki):

... there were some who went to India. What was the use of that? It was the most extreme stupidity. Led by bad karma, they wandered astray through foreign lands. With every step they were proceeding along the wrong path of insulting the Dharma; with every step they were fleeing from their father’s homeland. What was to be gained by their going to India? Only hardship and privation in the mountains and the waters. They did not study the principle that the Western Heavens (India) had come to the east (China) and they did not clarify the eastward advance of the Buddha-Dharma, and so they uselessly lost their way in India. They have reputations as seekers of the Buddha-Dharma but they did not have any will to the truth with which to pursue the Buddha-Dharma, and so they did not meet a true teacher even in India. They only met fruit lessly with teachers of sutras and teachers of commentaries. The reason is that they did not have the right state of mind with which to pursue the right Dharma, and so—even though authentic teachers were still present in India—those [wanderers] did not get their hands upon the authentic Dharma. Some who went to India claimed to have met true teachers
there [but] no mention was ever heard of who those teachers were. If they had met true teachers, they would naturally name some names. There was no [meeting] and so there has been no naming.

I guess it is just my own stupidity and bad Karma leads me to sully the Dharma so. Oh well, time to get going.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Jakuden
11-09-2016, 08:14 PM
Dear All,

Well, I am about out the door, heading for the airport. Catch ya in a while crocodile (which, by the way, they really have in the river of the town where I am heading next week. I won't be swimming.)

Among other perils, welcome to our dystopian future: Delhi is suffering a freak smog alert this week that is setting records, enough for me to consult with my doctor before going, and to invest in industrial n95 face masks.

CNN: New Delhi is the most polluted city on Earth right now
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/07/asia/india-new-delhi-smog-pollution/index.html

No problem: Until I head out of Delhi into the Dessert, don't drink the water, don't eat raw vegetables, and don't breathe! [scared]

I will leave you with a rather acerbic comment I found by Master Dogen on what he thought of pilgrims to India ... It is the grumpier version of his "Why leave behind the seat in your own home to wander in vain through the dusty realms of other lands? If you make one misstep, you stumble past what is directly in front of you" that I posted above. He didn't even mention the pollution ... (from Shobogenzo-Gyoki):

I guess it is just my own stupidity and bad Karma leads me to sully the Dharma so. Oh well, time to get going.

Gassho, J

SatToday

You rebel, you! [emoji1]
Gassho
Jakuden
SatToday

Myosha
11-09-2016, 08:39 PM
Hello,

Fare well.

Gassho
Myosha
sat today

Byokan
11-09-2016, 08:44 PM
Have a great trip, dear Jundo! Wishing you good travels, safe passage, lots of luck, and lots of wonder. Miss you already, but we will be fine, now go have fun!

Gassho
Byokan
sat today

p.s. watch out for the vindaloo! :o

Jundo
11-17-2016, 01:38 AM
Dear All.

It is hard to believe I have been travelling just a week. Seems fast and ages longer all at once. So much experienced each day, so many new things. Nothing I can say can convey this place, nor scratch the surface of its complexity. The little I learn, that much more I do not know. I am trying to taste a bit of Indian culture, both good and bad, beautiful and ugly. I am not sure how things compare now to in the Buddha's time, but today screams "Samsara" wherever I look.

There is grinding poverty, yet most people strike me as about as happy or sad in mood as folks in the suburbs of middle class America. People work hard here, unbelievably hard and and long and they are industrious. It puts to rest any assertion that poor people are poor for lack of trying, but instead, lack of opportunity and social systems keep them so. Many just don't get paid a lot for their industry and unbelievable long hours. It is a place of class and caste and rich and poor, where beggars sit in front of walled private residential compounds for the wealthy, and Mercedes with drivers rush through traffic alongside pedal rickshaws and woman balancing the day's wares on their heads.

And the traffic! In Delhi, no formal rules that I can see, buses zig zagging in front of bicycles and pedestrians, stop signals and lane markers are just an option. Cars come from every direction, cows wander many roads, and the individual brains of tens of thousands of drivers somehow keep each from crashing into each other in the chaos. There are rules, but unwritten. This in not my film (I cannot access my pictures now), but one someone took ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDLCd70iTeE

Delhi also experienced pollution literally off the scale while I was there, up to five times what doctors consider safe levels ...

http://www.ecowatch.com/most-polluted-city-new-delhi-2083377091.html

It left me with a hacking cough, my industrial level facemask black (as are probably my insides even with wearing it). The pedalcab drivers just breathe it in as they sweat down the roads. Environmental laws as loosely enforced as traffic laws. There are runs on the banks too, long lines snaking in front as folks try to get their cash ... all breathing this stuff.

It has left me tremendously grateful for a western economic system that has somehow organized society, labor and resources to bring unprecedented levels of wealth to people. Even America's poorest have access to material goods that only the upper classes have here. We have developed so much in science and industry. At the same time, we are unhappy so often, complaining about our "first world" problems like bad internet connections, office promotions and health care premiums. Modern "Samsara". We should appreciate more what we have. We don't. We are foolish (although, my belief is that homo sapiens are hard wired never to be fully satisfied even if becoming kings or Hollywood celebrities, scaling Mt. Everest or winning a Noble Prize ... we still find some dissatisfaction which drives us on. Zazen is the medicine for that, allow us satisfaction and dissatisfaction at once, being still and moving forward as one. However, enough about that). We should cherish the environment, clean air and water, too.

I was able to witness a parade held by the Seikh community to celebrate their founding Guru. It was amazing, snaking through the streets of Delhi for miles and miles, I walked the whole thing through neighborhoods I would usually never think to enter. I went to see the Taj Mahal (it is beautiful), but was touched far more by the burning bodies on pyres next to the river, ashes being scattered, that my friend and I stumbled on during a short hike which followed. The Indians did not seem to mind our presence as we took a wrong turn, but we discreetly Gasshoed and went on our way.

Today I am out of Delhi (breathing a better) in the small country town of Bundi, for a festival of Rajastani dance and sports. Looking forward to that, and to moving on to the sacred Hindu town of Pushkar to sit in quiet contemplation for a few days next to the world's only temple to Brahma before moving on to the Buddhist pilgrimage part of my travels. Nothing to complain about.

On another note, I have been looking in on the forum from time to time. It is now in the fine and guiding hands of Kyonin, Shokai, Shingen, Shugen, Daizan and Sekishi.

I am concerned by the level of discourse in some of the threads, especially those with regard to American politics. There is an Emptiness which transcends all thoughts of left and right and middle, win and lose, social policy choices. Yet, we simultaneously live in a world where people will disagree, and choices have to be made about social policy, left right and middle. Choice have to be made that impact all citizens and the whole world, for good and bad in the future. No problem, for we transcend all choices and thoughts of right vs. wrong, yet make choices and have beliefs on right vs. wrong at once (this is our Zenny Way of choiceless choices). Stand up for what you believe, and sit down in Zazen too! HOWEVER, in doing so, good and gentle speech must be maintained in this place. Our Community has only one rule besides sitting Zazen each day, and that is to use gentle, softly spoken and humbly asserted, kind and understanding speech with each other even when topics can be the object of serious disagreement. I will ask our priests who are in charge of this Forum to take a firmer hand if anyone forgets that.

I also continue to offer metta and to sit for the folks here, and I am still around even if just a bit quiet and observant during travels.

More soon.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

PS - I visited a wonderful charity for the runaway kids who end up living around Delhi station. Supported by folks of many religions here, affiliated with none in particular. They get the kids some healthcare, education and friendship on bare bones and shoe strings. They claim to reach 60% of such kids to get them some assistance and a safe place to go. Please consider a donation through their paypal if it moves you.

http://www.salaambaalaktrust.com/who-we-are.html

http://www.salaambaalaktrust.com/what-we-do.html

Mp
11-17-2016, 02:04 AM
WOW Jundo, what an amazing experience you have had thus far, sounds exciting and frightening at the same time. [scared] I am glad you are doing well and have some cleaner air to breathe. Thank you for stopping by and sharing your journey with us ... wonderful! =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Kyotai
11-17-2016, 02:07 AM
Thank you for the update. Safe travels.

Gassho, Kyotai
ST

Jakuden
11-17-2016, 02:20 AM
Thank you Jundo, sounds intense! Your words remind me to spend more time being grateful for what I have and not to fret about how I wish it would be--e.g. Dukkha 101. But yes wherever we are there is the opportunity to make things better for others.
Gassho
Jakuden
SatToday

Joyo
11-17-2016, 02:30 AM
Thank you, Jundo. Your account of life in Delhi leaves me with guilt as I tuck my kids into their warm beds, and look forward to a walk with my dog tomorrow morning, being able to enjoy the fresh air and beautiful environment.

Metta to all. These people of India and their stories of life and struggles for survival will be near to my heart in the days to come.

Enjoy your pilgrimage, Jundo. Happy and safe travels to you.

Gassho,
Joyo
sat today

Shokai
11-17-2016, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the update Jundo.
Much metta for the millions enduring less than optimum conditions all around our planet. [monk]

Gassho,

sat Today

Enjaku
11-17-2016, 09:04 AM
Hi Jundo, nice to hear from you. Sounds like you're having a great trip. Look forward to hearing more.
I'm still laughing in my head at your comment about not being a big curry guy... I've got the image of you as the stereotypical 120 lbs yogi in the next zazenkai :)
Safe travels.
Gassho,
Alex
Sat

Seishin
11-17-2016, 09:53 AM
Thanks for such a wonderful update. Guess things get put truly in perspective when you see these things first hand. I had many colleagues visit India when the company I used to work for, moved much of its IT development from Hongkong, never went myself but their stories, like your, made me appreciate how lucky some of are in the "west". We have so much but most of the time are so miserable. Go figure, guess I'll just sit some more.

Taiyo
11-17-2016, 10:09 AM
Thank you for the update, Jundo. It sounds really interesting and intense. Thank you too for reminding us how lucky we are, although we seem to forget it every now and then. Looking forward to reading more about your experience.

Gassho,
Andoitz.

SatToday.

Rich
11-17-2016, 12:31 PM
Safe travels. Am reading about the Bauls, a tribe of India. They sing and dance and celebrate life .

SAT today

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Kyonin
11-17-2016, 04:45 PM
Hi Jundo!

Thank you for the update. Seems like a life changing experience!

Keep safe and enjoy the trip.

Gassho,

Kyonin
#SatToday

Shugen
11-17-2016, 08:35 PM
Thank you for the update Jundo. Sounds like a a great trip.

Gassho,

Shugen

Eishuu
11-17-2016, 08:45 PM
Great to hear about your travels. Nice to hear how you are getting on.

Gassho
Lucy
Sat today

Risho
11-18-2016, 03:53 AM
Amazing how much I take for granted. Stay safe and have fun Jundo!

Gassho

Risho
-sattoday

Tai Shi
11-18-2016, 04:59 AM
Well Jundo, yes, I hope you are doing well; after seeing the pictures of the smog alert, I think you are wise in preparation with air masks--all be well with you Jundo.

Tai Shi
sat today
Gassho

Seido
11-18-2016, 09:57 PM
Thank you for the update Jundo, it sounds like it has been a very interesting experience so far. I hope the next leg of your trip brings you much insight.

It saddens me to think of so many people living in such inhospitable conditions. It's interesting think how influential the cast system in India to the Buddha's enlightenment. To see so many who could literally do nothing to elevate their life conditions, the choice is clear, the escape from samsara comes from within.

Consumption and disregard for our interconnection has all but choked out the sky with black soot in place like India and China. I hope the Western world is able to wake up from the consumer lifestyle before it is too late.

Gassho,
Seido
SatToday

Washin
11-19-2016, 05:01 PM
Thank you for the update, Jundo. Safe travels and enjoyable journey ahead!

Gassho
Washin
st

Rich
11-21-2016, 03:08 PM
thanks for the updates. makes me appreciate America.

Sat today

Jundo
11-21-2016, 04:01 PM
Hello from the Holy City of Pushkar ... a small and intimate place filled with mystic men, wandering cows, a few busloads of French tourists and a smattering of folks on the hippie trail. It is home to a sacred lake and one of India's few temples to Brahma ...

Jagatpita Brahma Mandir (Hindi: जगत्-पिता ब्रह्मा मंदिर) is a Hindu temple situated at Pushkar in the Indian state of Rajasthan, close to the sacred Pushkar Lake to which its legend has an indelible link. The temple is one of very few existing temples dedicated to the Hindu creator-god Brahma in India and remains the most prominent among them.

Although the present temple structure dates to the 14th century, the temple is believed to be 2000 years old. ... The word 'Pushkar' means lotus flower, which is said to be the seat of Brahma, one of the Hindu holy trinity, who is worshipped as the creator of this world. The legend has it that the demon Vajra Nabha [was killed when Brahma, in revenge of the demon having killed Brahma's children] struck him with his weapon, a lotus flower. Vajra Nabha died with the impact, and the petals of the lotus fell at three places. One of them is Pushkar, where it gave birth to a lake.

Though Brahma is considered to be the creator of the world, ... There are not many temples built for Brahma because his influence to the daily life is considered not a big as Vishnu (Preserver), Shiva (Destroyer) and Ganesh (Remover of Obstacles). Being the creator, whatever being created is already there, whereas other deities' need to be appeased so that any wishes or favours can be granted or fulfilled.

I stumbled upon a Yajna fire sacrifice performed by a black ash covered naked (not a stitch) bone necklaced Shiva worshipping Sadhu (not so friendly but tolerant of my presence), was then asked to scatter flower pedals on the sacred waters at sundown with local folks, then was invited by some fellows to sit under a tree in the dark, round a log fire and an altar to Vishnu, with another long beard orange robed holy man who boiled up some porridge and nuts (tasty) then offered me the local hashish that the holy men here practice with (respectfully declined with many gassho. If anything stopped me, besides that I am not big on drugs myself in my personal Practice (especially on my own with a group of strange stoned holy men in the dark under a tree near Deadly Lotus Lake), it is my hacking cough from the pollution around here).

Earlier in the day, I also had a chance to visit my second Jain temple in India since I came. The Jains are an interesting sect. In many ways, they are a very similar sect and historical rival to Buddhism, even having a founder who lived at the same time as Shakyamuni. The statuary is virtually identical. Can you tell the difference? This is not a Buddha statue, but a Jain figure of their founder:

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/h5/h5_1992.131.jpg

What they were known for, besides some other differences in philosophy, is a rather more ascetic lifestyle than the "middle way" that the Buddha preached. For example, they were known for wearing masks so as not to even by accident kill an insect by inhaling one ...

https://indrajitrathore.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/jains.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/jainism/ataglance/glance.shtml

and they also have groups of priests who wander naked, free of the indulgence of clothing, called the "sky clad" sect. This shows their freedom from attachment to possessions and to emotions such as shame.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-yUyHMgRl3M8/T-LJKu_iHgI/AAAAAAAAAFE/bKbH56TVYrM/s1600/DSC03652.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/jainism/subdivisions/subdivisions.shtml

However, those fellows are not to be confused with the black ash naked Shiva worshipers, like the one I saw doing the fire ritual, who are truly a formidable bunch ...

The Aghori are ascetic Shaiva sadhus [Shiva worshipping holy men]. The Aghori are known to engage in post-mortem rituals. They often dwell in charnel grounds, have been witnessed smearing cremation ashes on their bodies, and have been known to use bones from human corpses for crafting kapalas (skullcups which Shiva and other Hindu deities are often iconically depicted holding or using) and jewelry. [Some are said to eat feces]. Because of their practices that are contradictory to orthodox Hinduism, they are generally opposed by other Hindus.

Many Aghori gurus command great reverence from rural populations as they are supposed to possess healing powers gained through their intensely eremitic rites and practices of renunciation ... the Aghoris maintain that all opposites are ultimately illusory. The purpose of embracing pollution and degradation through various customs is the realization of non-duality through transcending social taboos, attaining what is essentially an altered state of consciousness and perceiving the illusory nature of all conventional categories.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-uTTGBscgQG0/TyhFJuIDZuI/AAAAAAAACic/J9ByKwX29v0/s1600/PICT0033.JPG

(Not my photo as, for understandable reasons, I did not ask the naked bone necklaced Shiva worshipper if he would mind a selfie with me! I simply assumed.)

I also briefly thought today to just maybe give this naked practice a go when I return to Tsukuba, and I like the principle of letting all hang out and social conventions abandoned, although I wonder if the local Japanese police would be very understanding? Maybe I will just practice at home until the postman comes to the door.

Here is to the Middle Way. Our sky is unclad whether clothed or unclothed. We bend time and space, and perceive the illusory nature of all things, without the help of a pipe.

Gassho, J

SatToday

PS - I also witnessed one of those wandering cows sample some of what was cooking in the kitchen at a restaurant (vegetarian, not even eggs available in this holy town) before the chef chased her off, then proceeded to serve the remainder of the food to the customers in the restaurant. I am not eating there tomorrow, being somewhat more careful and discriminating in food choices than the Aghori. And I thought that the only food with cow lips is American hot dogs!

Jundo
11-21-2016, 05:07 PM
Oh, pretty sure that I found a shot of my porridge cooking hash smoking host and his Vishnu altar ... although it might have been his brother. It was rather dark except for the fire. In any case, definitely not to be confused with the black ash and bone necklaced Sadhu.

http://farm9.static.flickr.com/8819/28410751960_e9e36ca9e0_m.jpg

Mp
11-21-2016, 05:24 PM
Wow again Jundo, what an amazing experience ... even running naked in the streets! LOL Such amazing culture and different paths ... very cool! =)

That is interesting about the Jain tradition ... the only difference I see on the Jain statue from Shakyamuni is the placement of the hands?

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Kokuu
11-21-2016, 06:15 PM
Really interesting. Thank you for keeping us updated! I love the story of Pushkar and the lotus flower.

I learned about Jainism when first studying about karma. If I remember correctly the difference is that in Jainism your karma comes from your actions regardless of intent, whereas intent is included in Buddhism. This is why Jains wear the facemask as accidentally swallowing a fly would incur that karma whereas I don't think Buddhists would think that.

The Jain statue does look Buddha like. The headpiece/hair is a little different (although there are many variants of that between Buddhist countries) and, as Shingen says, the hand placement also differs from Shakyamuni rupas.

As regards the nudity, maybe what happens in India should stay in India! [morehappy]

Gassho
Kokuu
#sattoday (with clothes and stuff)

Mp
11-21-2016, 06:17 PM
As regards the nudity, maybe what happens in India should stay in India! [morehappy]

LOL ... when in Vegas, good one Kokuu. =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Risho
11-21-2016, 07:06 PM
hahahaha that sounds awesome!

Gassho

Risho

Byokan
11-21-2016, 07:09 PM
Hi Jundo! gassho1

Thanks for checking in. Wow, very awesome, totally groovy.

Aw, everybody puts on something in the morning, whether it be a well-tailored Ralph Lauren, or ashes, or sky, or love, or well-worn delusion, or yes, nakedness. (By the way, in my work I knock on a lot of doors, and you’d be amazed at the percentage of folk who casually answer the door nude. I guarantee you, the postman will not blink twice.)

I would have no problem with the cow-lip seasoning but that’s a decision we all have to make for ourselves at some time or other.

Please take good care of that cough. Stay safe and have fun!

Gassho
Byōkan
sat today

Shokai
11-22-2016, 01:54 AM
And what of the bugs that go up Jain noses. Like so many mask wearers i've seen in Asia, they seem to avoid covering their noses. It is possible to inhale insects through the nostrils.
gassho2

satToday

Kyotai
11-22-2016, 02:12 AM
Thank you Jundo

Gassho, Kyotai
ST

Jakuden
11-22-2016, 03:15 AM
[emoji50] Wow what an adventure! Thank you for the fascinating info!
Given my profession I would not bat an eyelash at the cow seasoning. [emoji202]Pass on the nude Zazen though [emoji23]
Gassho
Jakuden
SatToday
PS On a more serious note, I heard there was another earthquake near Fukushima today, hope your family is safe. The news here is saying it did not do a lot of damage.

Jundo
11-22-2016, 03:22 AM
I heard there was another earthquake near Fukushima today, hope your family is safe. The news here is saying it did not do a lot of damage.

Mina reports that the house shook pretty good, but nothing to prevent the kids from going to school. We are 100 miles/160 km from the Fukushima reactors on a straight line, and all seems calm there too. Japanese press is not reporting deaths or major damage, but possibllity of more big quakes in the coming week.

They also had a major rail crash here in India yesterday, and some folks wrote to ask. Of course, I am not there, but all our hearts and thoughts go out to all the human beings who were. Buddhists and Hindus agree that we are there too even when not. I do know that the rail system here is amazing, but maintenance does lack.

Thank you for any concern.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Jakuden
11-22-2016, 03:25 AM
Mina reports that the house shook pretty good, but nothing to prevent the kids from going to school. We are 100 miles/160 km from the Fukushima reactors on a straight linr, and all seems calm there too.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Oh good! Thank you for letting us know!

Gassho
Jakuden
SatToday

Tai Shi
11-22-2016, 05:25 PM
Hi Jundo and have a great time, and did you bring your wife and children with? Did you bring a great camera, and yes have a great time!
Your Student.

Tai Shi
std
Gassho

Jundo
11-22-2016, 06:05 PM
Hi Tai shi,

I would not bring my children on this trip, although I have met Westerners travelling with infants. Mina is kindly watching things and the kids back home while I am off ... although I understand that there will be payback due her when I return. :) I believe that she will be off to some Aikido adventure while I watch the kids for a month.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Kokuu
11-22-2016, 07:45 PM
Hi Jundo

One thing I was wondering was if you are wearing your robes when visiting Buddhist sites and temples or if you are dressing casually? Although black robes are probably not the most suitable clothing for subcontinental weather, I was thinking that they mark you out as a man of the way and might make it easier to connect with Indian monks and priests.

Gassho
Kokuu
#sattoday

Hoko
11-22-2016, 08:55 PM
I just caught up on this thread and it's amazing what perspective one can gain from seeing how people in other countries live. Thanks very much for sharing your experiences, Jundo.
Gassho,
K2
#SatToday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Kyonin
11-22-2016, 09:55 PM
Hi Jundo,

I'm glad your adventure continues despite the cough. Those photos are amazing. Talk about renunciation!

Good to know things at home are doing okay.

Thank you for the update!

Gassho,

Kyonin
#SatToday

Tai Shi
11-22-2016, 10:26 PM
Yes dear Teacher. As Shokai has said for you Jundo, nine bows, and may your trip be fortunate. I leave you with this my teacher. I have started reading MIND ON WHEELS and I will learn so much for me the disabled. Thank You for this book which cost me nothing and will give me so much.

Tai Shi
std
Gassho

Jyukatsu
11-23-2016, 01:57 AM
Thank you for the updates Jundo, it does bring back memories !
Gassho,
Marina
sat today

Jundo
11-23-2016, 03:13 AM
One thing I was wondering was if you are wearing your robes when visiting Buddhist sites and temples or if you are dressing casually? Although black robes are probably not the most suitable clothing for subcontinental weather, I was thinking that they mark you out as a man of the way and might make it easier to connect with Indian monks and priests.

Hi Kokuu,

I have a Rakusu, the robe of the pilgrim. It covers the world.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Kokuu
11-23-2016, 12:17 PM

gassho2

Kaisho
11-23-2016, 02:49 PM
Jundo, seems like you've had quite a time already and you aren't nearly done. I would have a hard time in the crowd myself. Thank you for the update.
SeaChel
Sat2day

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Rich
11-23-2016, 04:18 PM
Happy to hear India still has nudist holy men :)

Sat today

Seishin
11-23-2016, 04:34 PM
Hi Kokuu,

Gassho, J

SatToday

And your "modesty", given the company you've been keeping [wave]

Jundo
11-23-2016, 05:28 PM
My new friend, Guru Dagubaba, Holy Recluse and Worshipper of Lord Shiva ... He makes his home under the tree (although not quite sure what he does in the rainy season) ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3827&d=1479920933http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3828&d=1479920934

Leaving Pushkar in the morning to visit another Jain temple in Ajmer featuring a hall telling the story of the life of Rishabha, their first Tirthankara or "Teaching God". Remind you of any other stories?

Indra, the Lord of the celestials, ordered Kubera to rain down priceless jewels in the palace of his father Maharaj Nabhiraj, thus announcing the coming of the Saviour of the World. The golden city of Ayodhya was constructed by the Celestials according to the wishes of Indra. After six months, the mother Marudevi saw sixteen symbolic dreams, signifying that she was going to be the mother of The Tirthankar.

When Lord Rishabhdev was born in the royal palace in the center of Ayodhya, the thrones of Indras vibrated indicating the birth of the Divine Child. The celestials marched towards the city with great majesty. Indra, after completing three rounds of the city took the Baby Tirthankar on the 'Airawat' (Elephant) to Mt. Sumeru. On this golden mountain lies Panduk Shila upon which the Baby Tirthankar was seated for Mahabhisheka (the great sacred ablution) ceremony. The ablution was performed by the waters of the distant ocean Kshira Samudra, brought in 1008 huge pitchers. After this, the celestial company returned the Baby Tirthankar to the Palace of Maharaj Nabhiraj leaving several Celestials as child playmates with Him. Rishabhdev attained manhood and succeeded his father to the throne of Ayodhya.

As Rishabhdev became engrossed in worldly affairs, Indra appeared before Him with Apsara Nilanjana. She danced before Him and suddenly disappeared, discarding her mortal coil. This reminded Rishabhdev of the transient nature of the World and He decided to renounce it.

Installing in his place his eldest son Bharat, He left the palace followed by 4000 other kings. Indra followed by the other Celestials, took Rishabhdev in procession to the Triveni, the confluence of the Ganges, the Jamuna and the Saraswati at Prayag ( Allahabad ) where under the shade of the Akshayavat (sacred Banyan Tree) Rishabhdev gave up the world, including his clothes and gave himself to contemplation. He pulled out his hair (Kesh Lonch) by his own hands depicting his extreme detachment to all worldly and bodily comforts. Lord Rishabhdev took his first meal after one year of austerities and penance. Raja Shreyans, the king of Hastinapur, had the good fortune of being the first person to offer him a meal in the form of Sugarcane Juice on the 3rd day of the bright fortnight of the month of Vaishakha. ...

After 1000 years of austerities and penance, Lord Rishabhdev attained Keval Jnan (Omniscience) at Mount Kailash. Indra arranged a beautiful place of congregation known as "Samavasharana" where the Lord preached the doctrine of non-attachment to the world. Celestials, humans, and even birds & animals gathered to listen to Him. Tirthankars attain the power of walking in sky after attaining Omniscience. 225 Golden lotuses are placed beneath the Lord’s feet during his travel by Indra.

Here is one of the models in the temple, showing the march of the Celestials welcoming the Baby Tirthankar ...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3d/Procession_of_Celestials.jpg/800px-Procession_of_Celestials.jpg

The Baby Tirthankar given a ride on the 8 Trunked Airawat Elephant ...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/76/Baby_Tirthankara_on_Airawat_Elephant.jpg/800px-Baby_Tirthankara_on_Airawat_Elephant.jpg

Tomorrow, I return to Delhi, then on to Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and a bit of Nepal for the Buddhist pilgrimage portion of the trip.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Mp
11-23-2016, 05:32 PM
Great update Jundo ... I love you and your new friend have the same beard! =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today beardless

RichardH
11-23-2016, 06:42 PM
The Indian imagination has given the world so much. So rich, worlds within worlds. You look at home, Jundo, but then you look at home everywhere. Thank you for the update.

Gassho
Daizan
Sat today

Kyonin
11-24-2016, 12:34 PM
Hi Jundo,

I'm happy you had the chance to spend time with a Guru. I feel a lot of respect for them because they sure can teach us about living a simple life with the bare minimum.

Safe journeys!

Gassho,

Kyonin
#SatToday

Joyo
11-24-2016, 02:40 PM
Thanks for all these updates Jundo, it is so nice to hear from you!! Looks like you are your new friend are good buddies. =)

I hope you continue to have safe travels!!

Gassho,
Joyo
sat today

Kaisho
11-24-2016, 04:59 PM
Jundo, thank you for the updates. Looks like he lives simply but I deed fully.

Sat2day
SeaChel

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Jundo
11-25-2016, 07:31 PM
Hey Guys,

Someone wrote to ask if that was Hashish smoke in the photo of me and Guru Dagubaba, the Shiva worshiper. No, just his campfire. This trip is wild enough without any enhancements. He offered and I politely declined.

And for equal time with Shiva, a Vishnu priest painted this Tilika blessing on my forehead during a festival. (At least, that is what I am told it is) ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3831&d=1480101277

The Tilaka is an auspicious, religious mark worn usually on the forehead, between the eyebrows and it indicates that the wearer belongs to the Hindu faith (although also given to an honored guest too). It is applied by hand and is made with a paste or powder that may be prepared from diverse materials, including sandal paste, red turmeric, sacred ashes, charcoal or clay. The application of Tilaka by a priest on the people visiting the temple is taken as a symbol of having received God’s blessing. Some people like the priests, sadhus and devout householders wear the mark everyday. Otherwise, it is generally applied on special occasions like religious ceremonies & rituals, ...

My friend said I was doing my best impersonation of Hare Krishna founder Swami Prabhupada ...

https://sda-archives.com/picture_library/prabhupada3.jpg

Anyway, today is my last day in Delhi before heading off to the Buddhist sacred spots. I visited the National Museum, which has quite a collection of religious art. Most touching for me was this very early (about 3rd Century BC) Mauryan image of the Buddha surrounded by his posse. What, can't see the Buddha there? Well, in the earliest days, the Buddha was only shown as an empty space ... or perhaps in symbols, as here: The Wheel of the Law (the Teachings), footprints and an empty chair ... The real Buddha was not someone or something that could be conveyed by an image ...

http://www.remotetraveler.com/wp-content/gallery/national-museum-delhi/Different-Symbols-of-Buddha-in-National-Museum-Delhi.JPG

Only centuries later was the Buddha depicted in human form, gradually becoming more idealized and superhuman. This is a statue from Gandhara 2nd Century AD, one of the great centers of Buddhist art on the Silk Road. A lot of folks don't realize that all later Chinese and Japanese statues (maybe even the Buddha statue in your own home) have a very strong Greco-Roman influence that came down the Silk Road. Notice how the Kesa falls very much like a toga, and how the facial features and body have that same idealized quality of a Greek Adonis or Roman Augustus ... East meets West ...

http://www.frontline.in/static/html/fl2919/images/20121005291906910.jpg

Anyway, tomorrow ... off to Bodgaya.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Mp
11-25-2016, 07:36 PM
Well Jundo I think your painting is lovely ... =)

How is your taste for curry coming along?

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Jundo
11-25-2016, 07:56 PM
Well Jundo I think your painting is lovely ... =)

How is your taste for curry coming along?

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

I have yet to have a bad meal here, perhaps because of the surroundings and atmosphere. The curry tastes good, and so many varieties. I am not usually that much of a curry fan.

I have also (so far) avoided any sign of tummy problems.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Byokan
11-25-2016, 08:44 PM
Hi Jundo, gassho1

Ok, now that's what I was looking for in a guru! You should make that your official PR photo. Ohh, I was just sending metta to the man behind you who I thought had lost half his arm, when I realized that's actually two people. Well, metta to them anyway, and I do hope that guy appreciates having a whole arm.

Safe travel!

Namaste
Byōkan
sat today

Mp
11-25-2016, 09:00 PM
I have yet to have a bad meal here, perhaps because of the surroundings and atmosphere. The curry tastes good, and so many varieties. I am not usually that much of a curry fan.

I have also (so far) avoided any sign of tummy problems.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Oh this is good news ... the happy tummy deities are looking over you. =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Tai Shi
11-26-2016, 12:28 AM
Again, thank you Jundo, and deep bows for undertaking such an arduous pilgrimage. My I say that I might never be able to walk or even ride through such an environment, and I am grateful for you, and how you have undertaken such a trip, and how you report back to our Zendo the arduous trip you are making. Thank you so much for reporting back to us in such detail.

Tai Shi
std
Gassho

Tairin
11-26-2016, 01:12 AM
I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying this thread both Jundo's updates and everyone's comments.

I am glad you are having such a wonderful adventure Jundo

Gassho
Warren
Sat today

Jundo
11-26-2016, 03:38 AM
I discovered that the Jains have their own 24 hour cable channel in India, featuring their music and sermons by the "Skyclad" priests (plus phone apps!)!

http://www.jinvanichannel.com/shows.aspx

I did not realize that they were still so vibrant as a community, with perhaps 7 million members, although almost exclusively all within India. For various historical reasons, such as the happenstance of geography and royal favor, they managed to survive in India when the Muslim invasions and spread of Hindu beliefs pretty much wiped out Buddhism from there. Other theories are that the Jains also did a better job of involving and meeting the needs of their lay followers than the Buddhists (who were too monk centered, limiting the role of the lay folks to donation and patronage of the monks). It is a complicated issue.

https://ja.scribd.com/document/230575185/Why-Jainism-survived-in-India-and-Buddhism-didnot-Part-1

In any case, here is a small sample of the channel. In case you are wondering, it seems 90% (although not completely) free of full nudity, certainly in respect for folks from other religions who may be channel surfing. Not so at live events of course (I did read that the "skyclad" nuns dress). Also, Jain monks are celibate, and required to observe strict chastity and freedom from mental desires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUM20vKFWz4&feature=youtu.be

As Kokuu mentioned, their view of Karma is that any action ... even by accident ... can give rise to good and bad effects and rebirths, unlike the Buddha's interpretation that volition and intention are what determine Karma. For this reason, the Jain ideal in their practice and meditation is to develop the ability to stop all physical actions and all thought completely, the only way to prevent Karma from arising and to free themselves from past Karma. This is something, for practical reasons, that they really only fully perfect on their deathbed as the breath stops, although during life they try to be as still in body and mind, and as good as possible. The "duster" object that you see their head priest holding in the video above is a kind of traditional broom that they use to sweep away insects from the ground when walking or sitting so as not to accidently take life.

I also want to add a couple of more images of their model of the world from the "Red" Jain temple in Ajmer which I visited. It was truly incredible. Here is a view of their conception of the universe (very close to the traditional Buddhist idea too) with Mt. Sumeru in the middle surrounded by a series of great continents, one of which holds our world.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QcOXMBTzWEo/Ulryp6M1C1I/AAAAAAAAGoM/7z549u-vFwc/s1600/Soniji+Ki+Nasiyan+-+Jain+Temple+Ajmer+(12).JPG

Celestials fly overhead in their birdy airships playing music ...

http://www.herenow4u.net/fileadmin/v3media/pics/Jain_Temples/Ajmer/Soniji_ki_Nasiyan_015.jpg

Here is a sample of how Buddhists traditionally described this ...

The Buddhist cosmology divides the bhūmaṇḍala (circle of the earth) into three separate levels: Kāmadhātu (Desire realm), Rūpadhātu (Form realm), and Ārūpyadhātu (Formless realm). In the Kāmadhātu is located Mount Sumeru which is said to be surrounded by four island-continents. "The southernmost island is called Jambudvīpa". The other three continents of Buddhist accounts around Sumeru are not accessible to humans from Jambudvīpa. Jambudvīpa is shaped like a triangle with a blunted point facing south. In its center is a gigantic Jambu tree from which the continent takes its name, meaning "Jambu Island".... The continent is ten thousand yojanas in extent; of these ten thousand,four thousand are covered by the ocean,three thousand by the Himālaya mountains,while three thousand are inhabited by men (SNA.ii.437; UdA.300).

Jambudvīpa is the region where the humans live and is the only place where a being may become enlightened by being born as a human being.

It was only in recent decades that many traditional Buddhists, in the face of modern geography and astronomy, began to modify their quite literal views on this, not unlike the "flat earth" and Creationist debates in Christianity. It was a hard fight, with many Buddhists believing (still believing) that only literal faith in this wordview was called for. Some still cling to a literal interpretation, some take it symbolically or psycholically now, some say it was the Buddha and old Buddhists (as people of centuries past) doing their best to describe the world without the benefite of Googlemaps.

http://buddhism.about.com/od/buddhisthistory/a/mountmeru.htm

Gassho, J

SatToday

PS - When do we get a 24-Hour Treeleaf Channel? :p

Seishin
11-26-2016, 10:18 AM
Jundo many thanks for sharing your experiences and providing such interesting education along the Way. Glad you have avoided the dreaded Dheli Belly, let's hope it remains so.

Mp
11-26-2016, 02:49 PM
Hey Jundo,

Wow .. This is great. I studied the Jain faith in college, but great history you are sharing.

Also, yes, when is Treeleaf going to get its 24hr TV channel? LOL =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

RichardH
11-26-2016, 04:50 PM
Thank you for the update Jundo. The first I ever saw of the Jains was a film of people sweeping the ground ahead as they walked, trying to avoid accidentally stepping on a bug. It looked like the ultimate form of compassion, but also somehow extreme, and it made me question what compassion is. The all-or-nothing take on karma is intersting, at least you don't have to finesse things at the fuzzy boundary of volition. I believe Mahavira was an older contemporay of the Buddha. It would be interesting to learn more about his life and teachings.

Gassho
Daizan

Sat today

Sekishi
11-26-2016, 05:02 PM
Also, yes, when is Treeleaf going to get its 24hr TV channel? LOL =)

Since GoPro, quadcopters, etc. have made first person view (FPV) all the rage lately, I volunteer to produce our Zazen FPV programming: 90 minutes each day of a wall! [emoji4]

Gassho,
Sekishi

#sattoday (stuck in FPV mode)

Jundo
11-27-2016, 01:01 AM
Quite the send-off for this Indian Government sponsored Buddhist pilgrimage train that I am on, about 30 Chinese lay folks and priests, 3 Thai, 2 Koreans and me (who they have listed as Japanese for some reason).

Anyway, we get on a bus for Bodgaya in a couple of hours.

https://youtu.be/GmllcDMKw_Y

Gassho J

SatToday on the train

RichardH
11-27-2016, 01:06 AM
:) jazzy,

Gassho
Daizan
Sat today

....Hoping you'll stream live from the Bodhi tree.

Mp
11-27-2016, 01:08 AM
Very cool Jundo ... Thanks for sharing. =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Risho
11-27-2016, 03:08 AM
Thank you for sharing! Holy cow your trip sounds incredible

Gassho

Risho
-sattoday

Jundo
11-27-2016, 04:30 AM
Train 4 hours late for Bodgaya, plus stlll a bus trip. Of course, Buddha is not some destination.

But if we don't get there soon, might have some pretty angry Buddhists here (just kidding).

I just read a diary about a 7th century monk who walked from China, through Afghanistan to Bodgaya and back again. He suffered bandits, high mountains and drowned elephants along the way. So, nothing to complain.

Gassho J

SatToday (a lot since the train is late)

Joyo
11-27-2016, 05:30 AM
Thank you for sharing, Jundo. I hope your train is there soon. [gassholook]

Gassho,
Joyo
sat today

Jundo
11-27-2016, 09:06 AM
Sat at Bodhgaya, just under the Bodhi Tree.

Just Sitting.

Just the same as sitting anywhere.

Just everywhere.

Just at home.

Gassho, J

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3857&d=1481125182

Seishin
11-27-2016, 09:29 AM
Deep bows. Just one tree of numberless trees :buddha:

Kyonin
11-27-2016, 01:52 PM
Jundo,

Thank you for sitting under the Bodhi Tree. For some reason I feel humbled.

Deep bows.

Kyonin
#SatToday

RichardH
11-27-2016, 02:13 PM
Thank you for sitting under the Bodhi Tree, everyday, with all of us. :) May the train schedules be kind today.

Gassho
Daizan

sat today under the Bodhi Tree.

Jundo
11-27-2016, 04:58 PM
It is quite some place ... Buddhists of every flavor, and from so many places ... some chanting, some meditating, some prostrating or twirling prayer wheels or simply taking it all in.

But truly Buddha is found here or there as much as right where you sit.

(Again, not my photo as camera phones are not allowed in the premises. Under the Tree is actually a very intimate and comfortable, welcoming space) ...

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/70/33/b2/caption.jpg

http://innerouteryou.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/The-Sacred-Bodhi-Tree-in-Bodhgaya-India.jpg

Incense is not allowed, but I was able to light some in my heart for all of you, and some folks to whom I made a special promise. I did find a leaf from the Bodhi Tree on the ground, and will bring it home to place on Treeleaf's altar in the Zendo. (The present tree, by the way, is something of a second cousin twice removed of the original tree, which was several times cut down over the millenia by desecrators of various kinds, then replanted using various related trees. But that does not matter).

We also visited the spot where, legend says (nobody truly knows if and where), Sujata offered ricemilk to the emaciated and weak aescetic Gautama, just setting him on the Middle Way of moderation.

A girl called Sujata,eldest daughter of the chief herdsman Nanda,was passing by.She saw weak Buddha and offered him rice pudding.The Buddha looked at Sujata with gratitude and ate all the contents of the bowl offered to him.As Buddha had the rice pudding his body refreshed.Later as Buddha regained his strength he realised that severe austerities and making body suffer was not the way to attain enlightenment.Buddha left the place as he understood that torturing body will not take him to truth.

Tomorrow ... to Vulture Peak!

Gassho, J

SatToday

Jakuden
11-27-2016, 05:39 PM
gassho2

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday

Sekishi
11-27-2016, 05:41 PM
gassho2

Thank you for sharing with all of us Jundo.

I find it deeply moving to see pictures (even if they are not "yours") and know you are there at the Bodhi tree - a real thing in a real place. I know that sounds stupid, of course they are real (as much as anything is "real"), and yet the heart-mind is moved.

Thank you.

Nine bows,
Sekishi

#sattoday

Tai Shi
11-28-2016, 12:34 AM
I would be just plain excited about seeing Bodgaya AND to be there, eating the food, listening to the sounds of people who do not understand, yet perhaps excited themselves about having also made a pilgrimage--yes I am excited for you. Nameste! and Gassho.
std
Tai Shi

Shokai
11-28-2016, 12:41 AM
Thank you Jundo. Totally awesome, I am glad you tookus with you [monk]

gassho

satToday

Mp
11-28-2016, 01:11 AM
I have to say that is amazing to be in the same place where the Buddha found enlightenment ... wonderful! =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Shugen
11-28-2016, 01:43 AM
Thank you Jundo for taking us with you!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Myosha
11-28-2016, 09:51 AM
I have to say that is amazing to be in the same place where the Buddha found enlightenment ... wonderful!

s@today

Hello,

FINDING enlightenment! Good one.

Gassho
Myosha
sat today

michaeljc
11-29-2016, 07:02 AM
Had the Delhi Belly yet Jundo?

Wishing you well

m

Sitting soon

Jundo
11-29-2016, 03:29 PM
Dear All,

Sat with you all yesterday on Vulture Peak, the place where the Buddha is said to have taught the Lotus Sutra, Perfection of Wisdom and others. Folks there from Tibet, Thailand, China, so many flavors of Buddhism.

PHOTO COMING

Still, it is such a small space really. I wonder how all the folks below fit in? :)

Lotus Sutra Chapter 1

Thus have I heard. Once upon a time the Lord was staying at Râgagriha, on the Gridhrakuta [Vulture Peak] mountain, with a numerous assemblage of monks, twelve hundred monks, all of them Arhats, stainless, free from depravity, self-controlled, thoroughly emancipated in thought and knowledge, of noble breed, (like unto) great elephants, having done their task, done their duty, acquitted their charge, reached the goal; in whom the ties which bound them to existence were wholly destroyed, whose minds were thoroughly emancipated by perfect knowledge, who had reached the utmost perfection in subduing all their thoughts; who were possessed of the transcendent faculties; eminent disciples, such as the venerable Agñâta-Kaundinya, the venerable Asvagit, the venerable Vâshpa, the venerable Mahânâman, the venerable Bhadrikal, the venerable Mahâ-Kâsyapa, the venerable Kâsyapa of Uruvilvâ, the venerable Kâsyapa of Nadi, the venerable Kâsyapa of Gayâ, the venerable Sâriputra, the venerable Mahâ-Maudgalyâyana, the venerable Mahâ-Kâtyâyana, the venerable Aniruddha, the venerable Revata, the venerable Kapphina, the venerable Gavâmpati, the venerable Pilindavatsa, the venerable Vakula, the venerable Bhâradvâga, the venerable Mahâ-Kaushthila, the venerable Nanda (alias Mahânanda), the venerable Upananda, the venerable Sundara-Nanda, the venerable Pûrna Maitrâyanîputra, the venerable Subhûti, the venerable Râhula; with them yet other great disciples, as the venerable Ananda, still under training, and two thousand other monks, some of whom still under training, the others masters; with six thousand nuns having at their head Mahâpragâpatî, and the nun Yasodharâ, the mother of Râhula, along with her train; (further) with eighty thousand Bodhisattvas, all unable to slide back, endowed with the spells of supreme, perfect enlightenment, firmly standing in wisdom; who moved onward the never deviating wheel of the law; who had propitiated many hundred thousands of Buddhas; who under many hundred thousands of Buddhas had planted the roots of goodness, had been intimate with many hundred thousands of Buddhas, were in body and mind fully penetrated with the feeling of charity; able in communicating the wisdom of the Tathâgatas; very wise, having reached the perfection of wisdom; renowned in many hundred thousands of worlds; having saved many hundred thousand myriads of kotis of beings; such as the Bodhisattva Mahâsattva Mañgusrî, as prince royal; the Bodhisattvas Mahâsattvas Avalokitesvara, Mahâsthâmaprâpta, Sarvarthanâman, Nityodyukta, Anikshiptadhura, Ratnakandra, Bhaishagyarâga, Pradânasûra, Ratnakandra, Ratnaprabha, Pûrnakandra, Mahivikrâmin, Trailokavikrâmin, Anantavikrâmin, Mahâpratibhâna, Satatasamitâbhiyukta, Dharanîdhara, Akshayamati, Padmasrî, Nakshatrarâga, the Bodhisattva Mahâsattva Maitreya, the Bodhisattva Mahâsattva Simha.

With them were also the sixteen virtuous men to begin with Bhadrapâla, to wit, Bhadrapâla, Ratnikara, Susârthavâha, Naradatta, Guhagupta, Varunadatta, Indradatta, Uttaramati, Viseshamati, Vardhamânamati, Amoghadarsin, Susamsthita, Suvikrântavikrâmin, Anupamamati, Sûryagarbha, and Dharanidhara; besides eighty thousand Bodhisattvas, among whom the fore-mentioned were the chiefs; further Sakra, the ruler of the celestials, with twenty thousand gods, his followers, such as the god Kandra (the Moon), the god Sûrya (the Sun), the god Samantagandha (the Wind), the god Ratnaprabha, the god Avabhâsaprabha, and others; further, the four great rulers of the cardinal points with thirty thousand gods in their train, viz. the great ruler Virûdhaka, the great ruler Virûpâksha, the great ruler Dhritarâshtra, and the great ruler Vaisravana; the god Îsvara and the god Mahesvara, each followed by thirty thousand gods; further, Brahma Sahdmpati and his twelve thousand followers, the BrahmakAyika gods, amongst whom Brahma Sikhin and Brahma Gyotishprabha, with the other twelve thousand Brahmakdyika gods; together with the eight Nâga kings and many hundred thousand myriads of kotis of Nigas in their train, viz. the Nâga king Nanda, the Nâga king Upananda, Sâgara, Vâsuki, Takshaka, Manasvin, Anavatapta, and Utpalaka; further, the four Kinnara kings with many hundred thousand myriads of kotis of followers, viz. the Kinnara king Druma, the Kinnara king Mahâdharma, the Kinnara king Sudharma, and the Kinnara king Dharmadhara; besides, the four divine beings (called) Gandharvakâyikas with many hundred thousand Gandharvas in their suite, viz. the Gandharva Manogña, the Gandharva Manogñasvara, the Gandharva Madhura, and the Gandharva Madhurasvara; further, the four chiefs of the demons followed by many hundred thousand myriads of kotis of demons, viz. the chief of the demons Bali, Kharaskandha, Vemakitri, and Râhu; along with the four Garuda chiefs followed by many hundred thousand myriads of kotis of Garudas, viz. the Garuda chiefs Mahâtegas, Mahâkâya, Mahâpûrna, and Mahârddhiprâpta, and with Agâtasatru, king of Magadha, the son of Vaidehi.

Gassho, Jundo (SatToday in Sarnath, the Deer Park)

In the meantime, me on a camel with friend since we were kids, John ...

Sekishi
11-29-2016, 03:53 PM
Dear All,
PHOTO COMING

Still, it is such a small space really. I wonder how all the folks below fit in? :)

There are some photos on the Wikipedia page. It is a smaller space than one might expect...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulture_Peak

Gassho,
Sekishi

#sattoday

Jundo
11-30-2016, 03:12 AM
Zazen On Vulture Peak ....

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3856&d=1481114845

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday (On a bus for Lumbini in Nepal)

RichardH
11-30-2016, 03:25 AM
What a lovely, special, picture. Thank you Jundo. Looking forward to seeing Lumbini. :)

Deep Bows
Daizan

sat today

Kyotai
11-30-2016, 03:58 AM
It is quite a world we live in.

Thank you for bringing us along Jundo.

Gassho, Kyotai
ST

Mp
11-30-2016, 03:59 AM
Zazen On Vulture Peak ....

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3856&d=1481114845

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday (On a bus for Lumbini in Nepal)

What an amazing photo Jundo ... a true Bodhisattva. =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Sekishi
11-30-2016, 04:37 AM
Hey, I know that Bodhisattva!

Thank you for sharing with us Jundo. Just awesome.

Deep bows,
Sekishi

#sattoday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jakuden
11-30-2016, 04:42 AM
[emoji50] WAY cool Jundo!!!

Gassho
Jakuden
SatToday

Jundo
11-30-2016, 06:12 AM
A small taste of the atmosphere on Vulture Peak. Buddhist folks from many places, mostly in Asia.

https://youtu.be/XrHlv9thvmY

Gassho Jundo (waiting at India Nepal Buddha Crossing)

SatToday

Taiyo
11-30-2016, 06:44 AM
Lovely picture, Jundo!! Thank you for sharing it with us :)

Gassho,
Andoitz.

SatToday.

Seishin
11-30-2016, 10:39 AM
Thanks for sharing both the picture and video.

Sekishi
11-30-2016, 05:04 PM
I believe that vertical video violates some precept... :D

In all seriousness, thank you so much for sharing this trip with us Jundo. Very cool.

Deep bows,
Sekishi

#sattoday

Rich
11-30-2016, 07:41 PM
Thank you for sharing your trip. Enjoy!

Sat today

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Kyonin
11-30-2016, 07:49 PM
What a beautiful picture. Thank you Jundo :)

Gassho,

Kyonin

Jyukatsu
12-01-2016, 12:24 AM
Awesome picture Jundo !
Gassho,
Marina
sat today

Tairin
12-01-2016, 12:34 AM
Thank you for bringing us along on your trip. Neat to see and read about that part of the world

Gassho
Warren
Sat today

Getchi
12-01-2016, 12:18 PM
Thankyou :)

Geoff

SatToday

Gokai
12-01-2016, 04:00 PM
Hello Jundo

Thank you for the update. I wish you Safe travels.

It must be great to know a place so different from our reality.

Gassho, David

Sattoday

Mp
12-02-2016, 01:16 AM
Lovely Jundo. =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Doshin
12-02-2016, 01:25 AM
Thank you for sharing your journey.

Gassho
Doshin
Sattoday

Onkai
12-02-2016, 03:25 AM
I just found this thread. Thank you Jundo, for sharing your trip with us. It's totally amazing and magnificent.

Gassho,
Onkai
SatToday

Kotei
12-02-2016, 06:38 AM
Thank you for taking us with you.
Gassho,
Kotei just sat.

Jundo
12-04-2016, 06:23 AM
Dear All,

Heading home today. The last week, I have been mostly in places with bumpy dirt roads, cows and monkeys wandering free in the streets, no running water, women with baskets of straw on their heads, farmers in the fields with water buffalo ...

The internet was surprisingly still available even then (what an age we live in, wifi in Buddhaland, auspicious for an online Sangha), but I decided to stay silent for much of the pilgrimage. I will post more later. All I can say is that India is very different from home (yet people just people). I have visited some places very sacred and important in Buddhist history, yet found nothing there that is not right where any of us find ourselves. Wherever we sit is sacred ... whether under the Bodhi Tree at Bodgaya or in the corner of our garage next to the washer ... each and all where the Buddha sits.

A few of the places I have visited the last few days have been really far out and far away, so sometimes requiring getting up at 4am to get in a van and bump along dirt roads for hours, crossing international borders (some of the places are in Nepal), all to see a little stone or broken pillar of King Asoka marking where the Buddha was born or some cherished place or where some other legendary event happened so long ago. Here are a couple (my thanks to a friend on the trip from Thailand, and a couple of reporters from French TV covering the trip, who liked to shoot my sitting) ...

In the Deer Park near Varanasi, where the Buddha offered his first Teaching, thus setting in motion the wheel of the Dharma ... sitting amid the ruins of two thousand years of monasteries and stupas ... Yes, there are still a few deer there.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3848&d=1480831262http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/113294497.jpg

Thus have I heard:

On one occasion the Blessed One was living in the Deer Park at Isipatana (the Resort of Seers) near Varanasi (Benares). Then he addressed the group of five monks (bhikkhus):

"Monks, these two extremes ought not to be practiced by one who has gone forth from the household life. (What are the two?) There is addiction to indulgence of sense-pleasures, which is low, coarse, the way of ordinary people, unworthy, and unprofitable; and there is addiction to self-mortification, which is painful, unworthy, and unprofitable.

"Avoiding both these extremes, the Tathagata (The Perfect One)[1] has realized the Middle Path; it gives vision, gives knowledge, and leads to calm, to insight, to enlightenment and to Nibbana. And what is that Middle Path realized by the Tathagata...? It is the Noble Eightfold path, and nothing else, namely: right understanding, right thought, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness and right concentration. This is the Middle Path realized by the Tathagata which gives vision, which gives knowledge, and leads to calm, to insight, to enlightenment, and to Nibbana.

"The Noble Truth of Suffering (dukkha), monks, is this: Birth is suffering, aging is suffering, sickness is suffering, death is suffering, association with the unpleasant is suffering, dissociation from the pleasant is suffering, not to receive what one desires is suffering — in brief the five aggregates subject to grasping are suffering.

Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta: Setting in Motion the Wheel of Truth

Where the Buddha is said to have died (in a visible sense anyway), in Kushinagara ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3849&d=1480832121

1. Then the Blessed One addressed the Venerable Ananda, saying: "Come, Ananda, let us cross to the farther bank of the Hiraññavati, and go to the Mallas' Sala Grove, in the vicinity of Kusinara."

"So be it, Lord."

2. And the Blessed One, together with a large company of bhikkhus, went to the further bank of the river Hiraññavati, to the Sala Grove of the Mallas, in the vicinity of Kusinara. And there he spoke to the Venerable Ananda, saying:

3. "Please, Ananda, prepare for me a couch between the twin sala trees, with the head to the north. I am weary, Ananda, and want to lie down."

Then the Blessed One spoke to the Venerable Ananda, saying: "Enough, Ananda! Do not grieve, do not lament! For have I not taught from the very beginning that with all that is dear and beloved there must be change, separation, and severance? Of that which is born, come into being, compounded, and subject to decay, how can one say: 'May it not come to dissolution!'? There can be no such state of things.

Now the Blessed One spoke to the Venerable Ananda, saying: "It may be, Ananda, that to some among you the thought will come: 'Ended is the word of the Master; we have a Master no longer.' But it should not, Ananda, be so considered. For that which I have proclaimed and made known as the Dhamma and the Discipline, that shall be your Master when I am gone.

Mahaparinirvana Sutta

The stone (and I met the archeologist who found it just a few years ago) marking the spot where Buddha was born (although, in fact, I learned that about 200 years after the Buddha, the great Emperor Asoka visited the spot with a psychic who "felt" where the spot was ... so can't be sure that it is the actual spot. Nonetheless, the place was about there, and the Buddha is born everyplace ... including right here there and everywhere.)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JLMxJhNkj-Y/UXggcwUgZtI/AAAAAAAAAgQ/CLF72qsuXSo/s1600/exact+birth+place+of+Gautam+Buddha.jpg

... and much more. Anyway, they are about to call my flight.

Gassho, J

SatToday here there and everywhere

Byokan
12-04-2016, 09:18 AM
Safe travels, Jundo. Thank you so much for sharing the trip with us! There's nothing to find but here and now... and yet, wow! What an experience. gassho1

Gassho
Byōkan
sat today

Getchi
12-04-2016, 10:39 AM
I grew up in a time when Guatama Buddha was considered mythological, these last few years have certainly disproved that notion. I really dont know how to express how amazing it is to learn all this!

I feel grateful to be shown these very real places, thankyou Jundo :)

Geoff

SatToday

Myosha
12-04-2016, 11:18 AM
Dear Teacher,

Welcome home, from home, within home . . . .

Gassho
Myosha
sat today

Kyonin
12-04-2016, 12:14 PM
Welcome home Jundo!

Thank you for sharing the voyage with us.

Gassho,

Kyonin
#SatToday

Mp
12-04-2016, 12:18 PM
Safe travels and Welcome home Jundo to a home you never left! =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Kyotai
12-04-2016, 12:27 PM
Thank you Jundo, safe flight home.

Gassho, Kyotai
ST

Tairin
12-04-2016, 02:17 PM
Fascinating. On top of the interest inherent in my practise in Zen and Buddhism I am also keen on history especially the "Old World". Thank you so much for posting during your trip.

Safe travels

Gassho
Warren
Sat today here but also with you there where ever there is

Jyukatsu
12-04-2016, 03:01 PM
Welcome home Jundo, it was wonderful to read your posts and see the pictures : Thank you :)
Gassho,
Marina
sat today

Toun
12-04-2016, 03:36 PM
Have a safe trip home Jundo and thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

Gassho
Mike
Sat2day

Onkai
12-04-2016, 05:14 PM
Thank you, Jundo, for sharing your trip with us. Have a safe trip home.

Gassho,
Onkai
SatToday

Taiyo
12-04-2016, 05:33 PM
Thank you for sharing this with us, Jundo. Have a safe flight.

Gassho,
Andoitz.

SatToday.

Hogen
12-04-2016, 10:17 PM
Safe travels, Jundo; and thank you for sharing this experience with us.

Tai Shi
12-05-2016, 12:00 AM
I have followed this journey, Jundo, with knowing that Doris Day has taught me this That what will be, and to appreciate this too, "Over watering a plant can bring on difficulty living, and even death." Thank you, Jundo, for your trip.

Tai Shi
std
Gassho

Jundo
12-08-2016, 06:35 AM
A little summary of the trip ...

Back from a Rohatsu Pilgrimage to India - Nothing Found
http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?14960-Sit-a-Long-with-Jundo-Back-from-a-Rohatsu-Pilgrimage-to-India-Nothing-Found

Gassho, J

SatToday

Eishuu
12-08-2016, 03:55 PM
Thank you for sharing your trip with us.

Gassho
Lucy
Sat today

Ongen
12-09-2016, 08:11 AM
It was great following you through your travels!

Gassho
Ongen

Sat today

Kaibo
12-16-2016, 04:22 AM
Thank you so much for your diary, it was so interesting to follow along.
Gassho
Dita
Sat today

Tai Shi
12-01-2021, 04:07 PM
This is some years later. Both of us though are much older. I am a little wiser. 70 and Buddhist, hoping for longer life to be with family and friends, Rohatsu this is joy.
Gassho
sat/lah