PDA

View Full Version : Learning to Float

Kyosei
11-03-2016, 02:13 PM
Hi, friends.

These days ago I see on Facebook a post where there were an animated gif, it showed someone throwing a dog on the water, and surprisingly, the dog don't get desperate or tried that "dog swimming", but instead, he just turns to his side and starts to float (he was equipped with a life jacket).

(Jakuden and the fellows here who loves animals, It doesn't seem to me like it was violence with him/her).

Well, this was very meaningful to me and "came back" someday when I was finishing my Zazen: often I found myself trying to swim, debating, shaking, moving, trying to reach a better stance. Becoming nervous for not reaching this marvelous state of balance and quietness and peace. I forgot to float!

I don't know if there is anyone here who never had the experience of floating, relaxed, free of tensions on a pool full of water.

Differently from swimming, I do not seek to reach the other "margin", I don't do much efforts, nor calculate when should I breath, after how many armful, what is the best angle, my speed... etc. Instead, I just inspired and exhale and free my body of tension and just relax... floating.

So, from this day on, when I sit Zazen and perceive tensions, I evoke that image, as if I was in a pool and floating and it seems to me and I feel that everything is resting in its right place, naturally.

This way, seems to me my Zazen is more relaxed and natural, even if it if I am agitated and this sentence from the Fukan Zazengi from Master Dogen Zenji Sama begun to make sense:

"The zazen I speak of is not meditation practice. It is simply the dharma gate of joyful ease, the practice-realization of totally culminated enlightenment"

https://web.stanford.edu/group/scbs/sztp3/translations/gongyo_seiten/translations/part_3/fukan_zazengi.html

There is a Gibran Khalil phrase from one of his books, I guess it is "Sand and Foam", it marked me very much when I read it the first time:

"When God threw me, a pebble, into this wondrous lake,
I disturbed its surface with countless circles.
But when I reached the depths,
I became very still."

Just to share with my brothers and sisters. Hope this can be useful.

Gassho

Marcos

#SatToday

Shugen
11-03-2016, 04:31 PM
Hello Marcus,

Floating is great but eventually you have to get out of the pool....

Or, do you?

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday

Kyosei
11-03-2016, 05:36 PM
Ha! A well full of muddy water.

Gassho

Marcos

#SatToday

Geika
11-03-2016, 06:46 PM
Ah... Khalil Gibran. .. ♡

Gassho and thank you for sharing.

Sat today

Mp
11-03-2016, 08:49 PM
Hello Marcos,

When swimming, just swim. When floating just float. No need to search for anything as there is a shore in all 10 directions. =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk