PDA

View Full Version : BOOK OF EQUANIMITY - Case 69

Jundo
10-16-2016, 10:43 AM
Case 68 never ends, and so we trot to Case 69, Nansen's Cats and Cows ...

I have a bad head cold today, one which makes complex thinking hard and the world much reduced. Perhaps the perfect state for this Koan. There is actually some disagreement among old commentators on the meaning, as Shishin hints. However, I will take my illness as an excuse to just quote Yamada Roshi on this. I think he is about right.

Becoming a buddha, becoming a patriarch:
This is nothing but wearing dirty names and is therefore to be abhorred; If you ask whom this is referring to, it means the person known in the Shôdôka as the “leisurely person of the Tao, who has exhausted study and is without doing.” This is the state of consciousness of a
person who has exhausted all practice and reached a state of perfect peace of mind. To speak in
terms of becoming a Buddha or becoming a patriarch is just to use dirty names. Why is the
name Buddha dirty? Why is the name patriarch dirty? Because words like Buddha or patriarch
are all concepts. It is not there is actually anything like Buddha. It is just when there are no
more concepts in your head that we give it the name Buddha.

... [Thus some old Masters write poems such as] “What is Buddha?
Fools have started saying it, and people are deluded by something without a name” ...
“When I hear someone asking what Buddha is, I feel like my ears have been
dirtied” ...

Therefore, the true light does not radiate, great wisdom is like stupidity. The true
light is not glittery or shiny. All that glitters is not the real thing; it is like chrome. The true
light is not at all glittery. You may not realize that each one of you is shining with a wonderful
light, but actually you are that light itself. The true light is empty. Each person transcends any
talk of enlightened or not enlightened. That is your true self.
And “great wisdom is like stupidity.” The truly wise person seems to be a fool. The one who
looks very smart is actually not very smart.This is a little frightening, since you don’t know
when you are going to meet up with a truly outstanding person. Who knows! Among persons
who look like country grandpas, there might be truly outstanding individuals. Among the ones
wearing gorgeous robes you’re unlikely to find anyone worthwhile.

Moreover, there is someone who thinks it is convenient to be deaf,
And pretends not to know any arts. This is saying that the most precious thing is to be
deaf. It doesn’t mean truly deaf, but making believe one is deaf. The one who “pretends not to
know any arts” is the one who plays the fool. ... This means playing the fool. You might
think he’s a fool, but actually he knows everything. There is one who, although he knows
everything, makes believe he is a fool.

and

Nansen instructed the assembly and said, “All the buddhas of the three worlds do
not know that there is. Only the cats and oxen know that there is.” The “Buddhas of
the three worlds” means the Buddhas of past, present and future....
So, it would mean, “the Buddhas of the three worlds do not know that
there is that.” What is that? It means the essential world, or enlightenment or kensho or
Buddhism. It could also mean Mu or the sound of one hand. The Buddhas of the three worlds
know nothing of such things. The Buddhas of the three worlds know nothing at all about such
great matters. ...

As long as there is something like “essential
nature” in your head, it is still not the genuine article. If you have truly become one with it, you
are not aware of it in the least. As long as there is an awareness of something like “essential
nature” it is not yet the real thing. To be sure, you must realize some time the essential world.
But then you must gradually sweep away all traces of it so that any traces of enlightenment
disappear. It’s a matter of extinguishing the light. Any consciousness of enlightenment or
something special must disappear. Yôka Daishi in his Shôdôka (Song of Realizing the Way)
refers to this as the “leisurely person of the Way, who has exhausted learning and has nothing
to do” (Japanese: zetsugaku mui no kandônin). There is nothing more to learn. But when you
have “nothing to do” (mui, Chinese: wu-wei), it doesn’t mean you just sit around idly. On the
contrary, you devote yourself fully to the task of saving others.

... “Only the cats and oxen know that there is.” ... What does this mean? It means people who stuff
their heads with concepts such as Zen Buddhism and attempt to understand things
intellectually. Such persons are referred to as “cats and oxen.” He is saying that such concerns
are the domain of ordinary, unenlightened persons (bonpu), that it’s such persons who know
about such matters.

... The Buddhas of the three worlds do not know anything at all about such matters
as “All beings in essence have true dharma nature, are originally a body of Buddha nature.”
Those who know about such things are fakes. It is those who have stuffed their heads with
intellectual Buddhism who know about such things. The Buddhas of the three worlds know
nothing about such things as original dharma nature, Buddha-nature or the natural
self-nature body.

On the Verse:
Limping with paralyzed hands,
Ragged with dirty hair;
Good for nothing, not capable of even one thing. These first lines would seem to
indicate a person who is a pathetic sight. It expresses an ugly and strange appearance. If we
were suddenly to see such a person, we would no doubt think it strange. And then the verse
says this person is “good for nothing, not capable of even one thing.” Such a person would never
be hired by a company. A person who can do anything is rare indeed; equally rare, however, is a
person who can’t do a single thing! But if you think him a fool, it’s not the case.
http://www.sanbo-zen.org/shoyoroku_69.pdf

What a strange Practice this is in which calling "Buddha" limits Buddha, "not knowing" is truly knowing, "fools" are wise, while those with smart heads are fools ...

Now I am back to bad, cough cough sneeze sneeze.

Yuriko the Cat in my lap is not sure about this Koan.

Gassho, J

SatToday in bed.

Kyonin
10-16-2016, 01:09 PM
All things in the universe don't need our language and words to exist. They just exist whenever we feel they are there. A tree falls in the woods but we only know it happened because we are there to see it fell... but did it? How come it can't be like that, its natural way of being?

The Buddha doesn't need our words and concepts to be real. The Buddha needs our silence and stillness. Or does he?

And you Jundo, you need rest, tea, and wait for the cold to pass. Hope you get better soon.

Gassho,

Kyonin
#SatToday

Hoko
10-16-2016, 01:13 PM
I'm going to pretend I didn't hear you but the truth is that these horns on my head make it hard to get through doors.

I hope you feel better soon. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Gassho,
K2
Sat zazenkai today

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Mp
10-16-2016, 02:18 PM
Thank you Jundo ...

As long as there is something like “essential nature” in your head, it is still not the genuine article. If you have truly become one with it, you are not aware of it in the least. As long as there is an awareness of something like “essential nature” it is not yet the real thing. To be sure, you must realize some time the essential world. But then you must gradually sweep away all traces of it so that any traces of enlightenment disappear. It’s a matter of extinguishing the light. Any consciousness of enlightenment or something special must disappear.

I hope you feel better soon Jundo .. tea and rest. =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Geika
10-16-2016, 05:51 PM
This reminds me of, "Thinking Dharma, it is gone, not thinking Dharma, it arises..." (summarized)

Years ago on a bus, I realized the grand joke, saw all the strangers as intimate, and started to laugh alone, and that was long before knowing Zen.

Gassho, sat today

Tai Shi
10-19-2016, 01:07 AM
I am sealed up in this room, and I hear clock thick, heart beat, whir of computer fan, click of keys under finger, that is all. Do others exist, and if so where in this space, so quit alone, yet outside door is dear wife, cat, heating furnace, am I alone or reaching out for others, so I reach out furthers into distant corners, and wife, cat in near room, friends so far I cannot touch in any way, yet touch with words upon a screen, people who don't follow words. follow me, follow me, follow me. Do not follow me again. Do not follow me again. Do not follow me again. That is all.

Tai Shi
sat today
Gassho

Onkai
10-19-2016, 01:21 AM
gassho1

Gassho,
Onkai
SatToday

Diarmuid1
10-19-2016, 04:36 AM
Is a butterfly pinned in a box a butterfly?

SatToday

Tairin
10-22-2016, 02:18 PM
I have a beautiful, friendly calico cat named Jenny. She is an indoor cat. I often watch her just being. When she is looking out the window she is looking out the window. When she is napping she is napping. When she wants attention she want all my attention and she gives all hers to the moment. And when that is done it is done. Seems to me that she knows "it" what ever "it" is. She doesn't need to read Buddhist writings or make time to sit on a Zafu.

She is definitely one of my constant reminders to be in this moment. 😺

Gassho
Warren
Sat today and spent time with my cat

Jakuden
10-26-2016, 01:37 AM
I am sealed up in this room, and I hear clock thick, heart beat, whir of computer fan, click of keys under finger, that is all. Do others exist, and if so where in this space, so quit alone, yet outside door is dear wife, cat, heating furnace, am I alone or reaching out for others, so I reach out furthers into distant corners, and wife, cat in near room, friends so far I cannot touch in any way, yet touch with words upon a screen, people who don't follow words. follow me, follow me, follow me. Do not follow me again. Do not follow me again. Do not follow me again. That is all.

Tai Shi
sat today
Gassho

Beautiful!
Gassho
Jakuden
SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Risho
10-27-2016, 02:19 PM
I'm sorry for being late to the party, but I want to contribute - life obligations (work, etc. nothing serious just time limiting). bla bla bla :)

Tai Chi, K2, Kyonin - per the norm, excellent responses; everyone shapes my understanding of the dharma in ways I can't explain

Jundo, also per the norm, the way you clarify these koans is awesome; I would be lost without your help.

I think this "not knowing" is like the Socratic idea of wisdom. For example, from one perspective as a sr. software engineer I know some stuff or I wouldn't be a sr. software engineer for long. However, from another perspective, I never fail to learn new things, or after learning something feel as if I really only know a drop in the ocean of programming. There is always something to learn, some new way of solving something that we do not see.

Our perspective is limited; I think that we see the world in a framework that is shaped by all of our past experiences. Obviously this isn't my thought - I can't pinpoint where that view of a framework came from, but I've learned it from experience, from reading, from being taught, etc. Dogen says this, and we were just talking about this on another post (http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?14770-Something-Missing), in the Genjokoan. When the dharma fills us, we realize something is missing.

When we hold onto things, the "I knows", can be dangerous after a point. We obviously have to meet the world with where we are, but we also have to let it in. If we shut out others, we don't listen to their perspectives. This practice loosens us up; allows us to appreciate others, accept things and act on them to the best of our ability. If we can silence the damned monkeys of our ego, attachments, what we think we know, etc, we can do something.

One of the things I'm trying at work, and it really is thanks to this practice, is I'm trying to give others the opportunity to be creative, to fail, to do things their way -- of course assuming those things are done ethically and securely (security is very important where I work). In the past, I would want to solve everything, or have a tighter hold on things, but zen has allowed me to loosen that up.

I don't know everything; there is no mastery from one sense. However there is a level of mastery; for example, a very experienced craftsman in the dharma, in law, in medicine, in carpentry, in software engineering ,etc is very proficient with how to do things, but they are also at the level of an artist, where things aren't black and white. There is this "beginner's mindset" of always being open to try to view experience without the blinders of past occurrences.

And that's where true creativity happens. Although, again from one perspective nothing is created, from another where things are created - they could not be created without doing something new and different - without the don't know mind (kind of similar to emptiness) this would be impossible.

The don't know mind is so awesome. It allows us to accept others - maybe we are racist or sexist. The don't know mind allows us to drop that bullshit and to see others as ourselves.

Gassho,

Risho
-sattoday

AlanLa
10-31-2016, 04:56 PM
I often tell my counseling students to get out of their head. Instead, maybe I should tell them to be more like cats and cows. BE simple; DO simple. And that goes for me, too, when it comes to my practice, which is lead too much by my head.

I am a dog person. My dog is a wanderer, so I have to keep her tied up in the yard. Periodically, she gets her her rope wrapped around a pole or bush and will keep going around it until she has little room left to move. She doesn't whine or bark or complain at all when that happens. Instead, she just lays down and waits for me or someone to come unwrap her and set her free. She is a simple girl, patient and pleasant in all things. I think there is a metaphor somewhere in that little story.