PDA

View Full Version : BOOK OF EQUANIMITY - Case 66

Jundo
09-18-2016, 04:23 AM
Case 65 never ends, and so we ride to Case 66, Kyuho's Head or Tail ...

Can you make heads or tails of this one? (Couldn't resist that one). Maybe, we can just flip a no-sided coin! :p

In any case, I concur with Shinshin Wick that this case is about the "Head" of the Absolute and "nothing to attain, nothing need be done" Emptiness, and the "Tail" is about life out in the world and our need for Practice. Fall too much into one aspect or the other, and one is lost. There is need for proper balance and interpenetration, for the head is just the front of the tail, and the tail the back of the head. In truth, this Animal is both its Head&Tail, they are not two, and one cannot really Live and Thrive by just one or the other alone ... for that would cut the cat in two, and this sword of Wisdom cuts by uniting!

https://c2.staticflickr.com/3/2831/13235784825_f623282b87_n.jpg

Attention!
A monk asked old Master Kyuho, "What is the head?"
Kyuho said, "Opening the eyes and not being aware of the dawn."

The monk then asked, "What about having the head and no tail?"
Kyuho said, "After all, it's not precious."

One awakens as a Light so bright and immanent, that one cannot speak of a separate dawn apart ... and yet that alone is blindness and not precious if one seeks to attain and remain so alone. One must return to the precious "nothing special special" of this ordinary world.

But on the other "sound of one hand clapping" hand:

The monk asked, "What is the tail?"
Kyuho replied, "Not sitting on an eternal seat."

The monk asked, "What about having the tail and no head?"
Kyuho replied, "Though satisfied, you are powerless." {an alternative translation: "Being complacent, yet having no power."

Do not just sit there forever like a disembodied head, and we need to get up and "get down" to getting 'er done in life shaking a leg and moving our tails. But if we are just satisfied or complacent with this ordinary world without encountering the Wholeness and Wisdom of enlightenment, we are lost too and trip over our tails. Shinshin Wick says it also means "having a strong practice but no realization". He talks about "Buji Zen", which he says means believing "Since everything is perfect as it is, I don't have to Practice ... because I am already enlightened." This "Buji Zen" is sometimes also defined as ...

Buji Zen - False zen practice. Those who rationalize "since Buddha-Nature is intrinsically with us, there is no need to practice Zazen", neglecting all the effort needed to overthrow delusion.

Shohaku Okumura, one of the great teachers around today, talks of the head and tails double sickness of either chasing after enlightenment or being complacent and not practicing ...

The first kind of sickness [as found in Zen practice] is sometimes called buji Zen. Buji means “nothing matters;” an “everything-is-OK” kind of Zen. The second sickness is the belief or attitude that we need to practice in order to attain enlightenment as some kind of fancy experience, after which everything becomes OK — that we have no problems at all after such an enlightened experience. This is the belief that, at a point, we become so-called enlightened persons.

These are two basic sicknesses in Zen practice, according to Dogen.

https://buddhismnow.com/2014/12/05/part-2-zazenshin-acupuncture-needle-of-zazen-by-shohaku-okumura/

This "Though satisfied, you are powerless" might also be pointing to a kind of "Bompu Zen", which is a complacent practice seeking ... not Realization ... but just a little relaxation and escape, maybe even other worldly benefits like greater work efficiency ... but no real insight into the heart of the Buddhist Teachings.

Bompu zen, or "usual zen," means engaging in a meditation practice in order to procure the same kinds of things that one has always been looking for; that is to say health and happiness, some sense of well-being. There is nothing wrong with wanting to develop a sense of health and well being. We are not saying that any of these approaches to practice are "wrong"; it is just that some of them are more limiting than others. To limit oneself when it is not necessary is like tying your own hands. ...
http://wwzc.org/dharma-text/begin-here-five-styles-zen

Your head is lost, stuck up your tail where the sun don't shine. :encouragement:

In any case, the trick is to find the lovely balanced and whole dance of head and tail together as one ...

The monk then queried, "How about when head and tail are directly well matched?"
Kyuho responded, "A descendent gains power without knowing it."

One is then all the Buddhas and Ancestors come to life, their head just your head, their tail you tail, and it is just the most natural thing ... nothing special.

The Preface seems to say that even someone who had all kinds of "supernatural power" of "marvelous activity" couldn't get how wonderful this most ordinary is. But if you get lost in the absolute, forgetting the "world of externals" or even "eliminating thoughts" (some forms of meditation even encourage a kind of extreme practice of eliminating all human thoughts and emotions), you are stuck and "can't lift a foot" to get on to life. Either extreme, and you are either running dead or sitting dead. So, it asks, "How can they be made complete?"

The Appreciatory Verse seems filled with many traditional images of opposites and the hidden or lifeless brought to life ... the relative and absolute, like a square or circle each in its place yet with need for all in its measure ... are woven together like the warp and weft of the threads of the loom, making the entire tapestry of life ... a stone women comes to life and weaves and a wooden man travels as the moon of enlightenment travels through its phases of hidden and half and full. "Stupid and bumbling: a bird dwelling in reeds" must learn to fly free, leaving no traces through boundless sky.

Riding another creature of head and tail ... not caught or bound by any fence ...

http://www.jaysquare.com/ljohnson/images/pic6.GIF

Question: Can you live with this balanced dance of head and tail? Is your head either lost in the clouds chasing "enlightenment", or are you just chasing your own tail in this rat race of a world? Do you feel that you can avoid the pitfalls of Buji Zen or Bompu Zen?

Gassho, J

Jishin
09-18-2016, 04:40 AM
Question: Can you live with this balanced dance of head and tail? Is your head either lost in the clouds chasing "enlightenment", or are you just chasing your own tail in this rat race of a world? Do you feel that you can avoid the pitfalls of Buji Zen or Bompu Zen?

I don't see a question.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Jakuden
09-18-2016, 07:42 PM
This makes me think of Genjokoan... the meaning of "Genjo" being something like "present reality manifesting itself," and "koan" perhaps referring to the intersection of relative and absolute truth, which is where we practice. We try to do practice/realization in balance, as in order to function, it needs to be a whole animal. Although no one else can do our individual practice for us, our practice is not precious--it is equal to everyone else's. Keeping this balance is what requires the practice, as it is easy to either sit comfortably in the misguided assumption that one is realized, or go through the motions of Zazen, chanting etc. without experiencing true realization.

Or that could be complete poop, after all every being with a head and a tail leaves some of that behind [scared]

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday

Koushu
09-18-2016, 11:40 PM
The reality of our practice is just this, all and none. By coming to terms with this, that it is and still remain true to our practice we can climb out of our pitfalls, we can not avoid them, but rather learn from them.

So I agree with Jishin, but I also think sometimes we need our heads in the clouds and chase our tails. As long as we live and practice in the present moment we can learn, grow, expand and experience.

Gassho

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

Hoko
09-20-2016, 12:39 AM
Sometimes I get fed up with trying to be "Zen" because I lose my temper or get frustrated and lose my cool.
Then I think "what is this meditation crap good for anyway?!" and I throw it out.
Then later I reconsider and say "it's unrealistic to think that anything is 100%. If you don't keep trying nothing will ever get better!"
Besides, if you're practicing to "get somewhere" then that's bompu zen.
Then again, if there's no point to it, why not just sleep in instead?

If I'm sitting in zazen and I go blank and body and mind drop off then I've "succeeded"! Yay!
But meanwhile my wife has to get the kids ready for school by herself.
What good is being married to Mount Sumeru when the garbage needs to be taken to the curb?
Buji Zen is good for nothing.

I wish I could say that I'm able to practice saijojo zen but the reality is that I ricochet back and forth between Bompu and Buji.
Head in the clouds or head up my tail. Every day it's just like this.

Maybe the only real change is that I'm more aware of when I'm acting batshit crazy...
I read somewhere that we are each a wise guru in charge of a mental patient.
Every now and then the lunatic gets a hold of the microphone and the guru has to wrestle it out of his hands.
In my life it's more of a bar fight than a dance. Maybe it's different for others.

Head over tail, ass over teakettle, rolling down the stairs.
The best I can hope for is to make it look like I know what I'm doing.
Like Woody says in Toy Story "that's not flying! That's falling with style!"
If I can't fly, I'll settle for "falling with style".

Gassho,
-K2
#SatToday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwN6efmhp7E

Jakuden
09-20-2016, 01:13 AM
Sometimes I get fed up with trying to be "Zen" because I lose my temper or get frustrated and lose my cool.
Then I think "what is this meditation crap good for anyway?!" and I throw it out.
Then later I reconsider and say "it's unrealistic to think that anything is 100%. If you don't keep trying nothing will ever get better!"
Besides, if you're practicing to "get somewhere" then that's bompu zen.
Then again, if there's no point to it, why not just sleep in instead?

If I'm sitting in zazen and I go blank and body and mind drop off then I've "succeeded"! Yay!
But meanwhile my wife has to get the kids ready for school by herself.
What good is being married to Mount Sumeru when the garbage needs to be taken to the curb?
Buji Zen is good for nothing.

I wish I could say that I'm able to practice saijojo zen but the reality is that I ricochet back and forth between Bompu and Buji.
Head in the clouds or head up my tail. Every day it's just like this.

Maybe the only real change is that I'm more aware of when I'm acting batshit crazy...
I read somewhere that we are each a wise guru in charge of a mental patient.
Every now and then the lunatic gets a hold of the microphone and the guru has to wrestle it out of his hands.
In my life it's more of a bar fight than a dance. Maybe it's different for others.

Head over tail, ass over teakettle, rolling down the stairs.
The best I can hope for is to make it look like I know what I'm doing.
Like Woody says in Toy Story "that's not flying! That's falling with style!"
If I can't fly, I'll settle for "falling with style".

Gassho,
-K2
#SatToday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwN6efmhp7E

Deep bows
[emoji23]
Gassho
Jakuden
SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Onkai
09-21-2016, 07:42 PM
The reality of our practice is just this, all and none. By coming to terms with this, that it is and still remain true to our practice we can climb out of our pitfalls, we can not avoid them, but rather learn from them.

So I agree with Jishin, but I also think sometimes we need our heads in the clouds and chase our tails. As long as we live and practice in the present moment we can learn, grow, expand and experience.

Gassho

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

Thank you, Yuukisugiyama. This comment helped me make sense of this koan.

Gassho,
Onkai
SatToday

Kyonin
09-21-2016, 10:00 PM
Hello all,

This practice sure feels nice and relaxed. It's very easy to adopt a The Dude attitude towards life, but when we do that, we are just clinging to a simple aspect of Zen... which in turn blinds us to actually perceive things as they are.

Head and tail are one and the same, part of the same big cosmic tiger called existence.

Can you live with this balanced dance of head and tail? Is your head either lost in the clouds chasing "enlightenment", or are you just chasing your own tail in this rat race of a world? Do you feel that you can avoid the pitfalls of Buji Zen or Bompu Zen?

To dance this dance we must make an effort to see things as they are, to live and practice.

But then again, I constantly fail. That's why I practice :)

Gassho,

Kyonin
#SatToday

AlanLa
09-24-2016, 04:15 PM
My Zen practice doesn't feel good lately, but if I didn't put my head up in the clouds on a regular basis I would be stuck with only my tail, which would be a whole lot worse. I just had a three year relationship end due to being the victim of deception and dishonesty with a dash of malevolence at the finish line, so my tail has been getting kicked down the road pretty good lately. My practice has been to sit with that shit monster and learn from all the pain. At times like this I go the Vipassana route and my head in the clouds says. "This is anger, this is grief, etc." to keep my tail from completely losing it -- not that I haven't lost it anyway, just not as bad or as long as I would have without my painful practice. Being grief, being anger, from head to tail, sitting with it, such has been my practice for about a week now, and this is enlightenment? Gimme a break!

If I am lost in the clouds I lose the opportunities of life.
If I am chasing my own tail I don't learn from life's opportunities.
Did I answer the questions?

Risho
09-27-2016, 03:52 PM
Alan, mine either!!!!! I was on vacation in Germany, so my ango was delayed. Then we got back, and I got sick so I haven't been able to participate with my partners yet. Then I had to rest, so I couldn't meet some of my commitments. But it's good practice, because we care about it. We are still here in this sangha! After all these years, still here; there's something to say about that, which leads to this koan:

It is possible, but I don't think it would be without the sangha. The sangha is sort of like a compass that keeps my practice on track. I tend to default to a loner/selfish/pratyeka Buddha, but Ango really helps me, the sangha keeps my practice alive and not so self-centered.

I was feeling down when I got back from vacation because I wasn't able to do everything at first that I committed to, but then I listened to Jundo's 2nd talk on the Tenzo Kyokun, and he uses the example of giving up cookies. But it's hard!

I'm giving up sweets and beer and unnecessary (i.e. non-zen and non-work related internet), and it's hard.

At the same time, I've come to a realization (and I always have to be reminded), that I have absolutely nothing to complain about. After going to the Dachau concentration camp, going over WWII history, looking at a medieval torture museum, holy cow -- not to mention everything that happens today.

So my practice isn't how I idealize it in my mind, but holy crap I have nothing but gratitude. And it's that big "G" Gratitude, beyond our preferences that really makes this koan alive for me. To me, that's one of the most important aspects of the Bodhisattva path. Enlightenment doesn't mean shit if it's isolated on a mountain top. Our practice is in the muck - it's to bring the mountain to the muck, realizing that the muck is also awesome, going beyond all thought of murkiness or not.

Gassho,

Risho
-sattoday