PDA

View Full Version : BOOK OF EQUANIMITY - Case 64

Jundo
08-28-2016, 04:18 PM
Case 63 never ends, and so we jump to Case 64, Shisho's Transmission ...

https://books.google.co.jp/books?id=Cg0sBPvvs0gC&dq=joshu+asks+about+death+book&q=shisho%27s+transmission+whisk#v=snippet&q=shisho's%20transmission%20whisk&f=false

Shishin Wick describes two facets of the Koan, but they are really one. First, some tension between two students, one of whom left to find a new Teacher who rang his bell. I don't feel that is such a big deal. Many many folks come to Treeleaf, for example, and find a home after not feeling it in other Buddhist Communities. Other folks leave here seeking new horizons, because the chemistry is not right for the individual. One size need not fit all.

As the Koan relates as its other theme, there may be a "solitary, manifest body", but Buddhism as in all things manifests in "myriad forms." What transcends and shines through and as even words like "solitary" and "myriad"? This applies to Buddhist Teachings, Teachers and Students as well. Myriad forms or one Truth? Hah!

Notice at the end of the Koan that there is a debate among the witnessing monks on "both sides of the Dharma Hall" taking sides on the issue of "one or many". People naturally have opinions and preferences, even about this Way which supposedly shows how to transcend all views, aversions and attractions.

Even the Koans of the Book of Serenity are obviously not to everyone's taste in pointing to the way beyond and holding all tastes!
Some folks digg them and some not.

That is one reason that I often emphasize to students that the best Sangha or Teacher is often one like here or me, so perfectly imperfect, flawlessly flawed, often quite disappointing in showing the way to eternal satisfaction, just mediocre beyond all measure. If one can come to see through all that, finding the Jewel which shines beyond and right through all human measures of perfection and flaw, finally one may realize one's own expression.

Sometimes one Teacher can help the student realize so as a catalyst, sometimes it takes a different Teacher, in all cases it is up to the Student not the Teacher to discover what Transcends yet Embodies all Students and Teachers!

The "Preface to the Assembly" cites a couple of famous students who began with one Teacher before moving on to another, and highlights how folks branch off to shine in their own way, and thus Buddhism develops into so many variations, like twisting coral or flowers on a branching tree. Many varied fruits and flowers, but perhaps a single vibrant tree holding fruits of all flavors both bitter and sweet and in between ...

In the "Appreciatory Verse", one Buddha brought forth countless, often seemingly conflicting Suttas and Sutras, filled with Teachings and Practices suited to people of different tastes and abilities, as countless as dust. Are they also one or many?

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?14675-SPLIT-THREAD-Suttas-and-Sutras&p=183841&viewfull=1#post183841

The line about "Dharma Style" and "front garden" probably means something like "it is all right here, no matter how you dress it up and decorate it." The "single moon" shines in every ripple of the river as if broken up yet fully illuminating each and all, and spring is found in every blade of grass amid change. The final reference to "three paths ... still come home" likely a reference to many paths that all lead home, in other words, the many roads all lead to Rome. The old pines and chrysanthemums each have their beautiful fragrance.

So, I don't know if Treeleaf is the right place for you or the wrong place ... and the right or wrong flavor to please your taste. Probably it smells like old milk and tastes like rubber sometimes. But until you can see through all right and wrong places and preferences, will you ever find True Home?

Gassho, J

SatToday

Mitty-san
08-29-2016, 04:45 AM
Thanks, Jundo.

I'm still trying to decide what to think of these koans since they're so different from how we normally learn things. A lot of them seem to say similar things about non-duality, emptiness, everything being right here and right now, and the rest of the common Zen sayings.

As Shishin Wicks said, travelling around to different teachers was common in China. In my experience, anyone or anything can be a teacher, even children can teach a person many things, intentionally or not. Generally though, I agree some teachers or teachings seem to suit different people. Sometimes a student might learn more from one teacher/teaching at one time and then need to go to different teacher/teaching to continue learning.

It seems we are now in a period of time where so many different teachings and philosophies are available. Unlike people through much of history, one can choose from pretty much any religion or none at all. One can learn about any philosophy and practice. This can be good in the sense where one can find something most suitable for them and a person can learn a plethora of things from comparing and contrasting the different belief systems. However, this can also be overwhelming and have the downside of making it hard to focus deeply on just one.

But until you can see through all right and wrong places and preferences, will you ever find True Home?

This reminds me of the C. S. Lewis quote where a demon is trying to sabotage a man:

“If a man can’t be cured of churchgoing, the next best thing is to send him all over the neighborhood looking for the church that ‘suits’ him until he becomes a taster or connoisseur of churches.”

gassho1

Sat today.

Jundo
08-29-2016, 10:13 AM
Thanks, Jundo.

I'm still trying to decide what to think of these koans since they're so different from how we normally learn things. A lot of them seem to say similar things about non-duality, emptiness, everything being right here and right now, and the rest of the common Zen sayings.

Yes, each expresses the same Wisdom about sameness and difference, only in difference words and ways. :p

In my experience, anyone or anything can be a teacher, even children can teach a person many things, intentionally or not.

Yes, anyone and all things are teachers, but not all realize so. Also, some teach by being an example of hate, greed and divisive thoughts of ignorance. Many folks who engage in angry violence, and many politicians who engage in divisive rhetoric, or wonderful "teachers" in that way. My Uncle Lou and my Uncle Ralph who could sit at the Thanksgiving table and dig up old resentments from thirty years before ... wonderful teachers in being prisoners of memory and letting go. I miss them. gassho1

It seems we are now in a period of time where so many different teachings and philosophies are available. Unlike people through much of history, one can choose from pretty much any religion or none at all. One can learn about any philosophy and practice. This can be good in the sense where one can find something most suitable for them and a person can learn a plethora of things from comparing and contrasting the different belief systems. However, this can also be overwhelming and have the downside of making it hard to focus deeply on just one.

Yes, it is wonderful that so many varied flavors of Buddhism have come in contact with each other for the first time in Buddhist history (never happened like this in any past centuries), not to mention with other religions and philosophies and scientific understanding. It means that we can mix and match, find various additions from other Traditions to round out our Practice (much as I added the South Asian Practice of offering Metta here to our Zen Practice to soften up the heart of the hard Samurai Japanese Zen a bit) ... One can also shop around for the Teacher or Guru or Self-Help book that rings your bell.

But that is also the modern problem!

Buddhism has become just another trip to the supermarket or mall ... 500 flavors to choose from like flavors of toothpaste or potato chips. People shop around for the next shiny thing, the next guru who looks the part, the next book or course. Never satisfied in their search for satisfaction, they look for magic and perfection thus missing the very magic and perfection of even life's most ordinary and imperfect. Shame. Spiritual materialism.

That is why, I believe, our Practice here is so special, as we tell folks to give up the hunt and truly find. Sit still and be all time and change.

When folks leave Treeleaf looking for the next shiny thing, it is sometimes because the chemistry is not right ... but often because they just don't know how to see what is right where one are. Let me quote myself quoting myself ...

----------

Let me say that pursuing a variety of Practices is fine ... IF ... one's perspectives and motivations are clear. If not, it may not be good. Let me explain.

People chase after things ... new car, new clothes, new spiritual practice, next "self-help" book ... in order to find some happiness, contentment and peace. They do not know how to rest, find wholeness in one thing in this moment, drop the need and feelings of lack. Thus, if someone chases after spiritual practices out of a sense of lack and need, we call this "spiritual materialism".

To combat this, we sit Shikantaza as "the only practice, all that is needed" (but it is important that the nuance be understood). When practicing Shikantaza, SHIKANTAZA MUST BE SHIKANTAZA'D WITH A CERTAIN UNDERSTANDING, to wit:

Seated Zazen is our ONE AND ONLY practice, for by the very nature of Shikantaza ... when sitting Zazen, there is nothing more to do, nothing more that need be done, no addition needed nor anything to take away. Zazen is complete and whole. No other place to be in all the world, no other place we must (or can) run to. Nothing lacks, all is sacred, and Zazen is the One Liturgy. It is vital to be sat by Zazen with such attitude. Thus, Zazen is sat each day as the One and Whole Practice. If one sits any other way, if one sits with any sensation of "'I' need to fill some hole that is not Whole" ... one kills Zazen, gets nowhere. If one sits Zazen, one need do no other practice!

Such is the case when sitting Zazen ... and one thus masters how to rest, find wholeness in one thing in this moment, drop the need and feelings of lack.

However, rising from the cushion, one gets on with life which is all "Zazen" in wider meaning. Then, people can do or not do many things, and it is all "Zazen". One can watch a baseball game or not watch a baseball game, eat a sandwich or eat spaghetti, stand up or sit down, study MBCT or try some Tibetan Practice or not ... doesn't matter. All good.

All that matters is that you learn to experience the "rest, wholeness, dropping of need and lack" right in and amid this world of motion, need and frequent lack, that they are "not two". Eating a sandwich to fill the need and hunger in one's stomach ... good, whole and complete. Not eating a sandwich and experiencing lack and hunger ... also good, whole and complete. Either way ... good, whole and complete! :encouragement:

We might even say that folks will not even be able to find the real treasure and fruits in so many of those spiritual practices until they come to realize that none of that was truly necessary, for nothing is lacking right from the start! They won't find until they learn how to radically not chase, and how to be still! [scared]

Understand?

Gassho, J

SatToday

Onkai
08-29-2016, 04:45 PM
Treeleaf Zendo has been very helpful to me, adding to my understanding. gassho1

Gassho,
Onkai
SatToday

Tairin
09-03-2016, 01:39 PM
Not a lot of discussion on this Koan. It seems that between Wick's commentary and Jundo's commentary there isn't much else to say.

I will add this.... Personally I am very glad to have found TreeLeaf.

Gassho
Warren
Sat today

Risho
09-03-2016, 05:28 PM
At first this koan confounded me but Jundo, your explanation is wonderful and inspiring. I love it here; sometimes I cant stand it so I dont post as much or I may get overwhelmed in my life so I don't post but where is there to go anyway? I always feel at home here even when I don't. That's part of practice, a vital part for me; not giving up.

With the upcoming Ango it's always exciting because we are all in this together; we focus more on practice, which is about facing our discomfort, and finding a Stillness and Joy amid the craziness and chaos that life can be. Staying here, digging in, is something that I've learned here. This practice roots us in our lives and is revolutionary because its about fully being with what is as opposed to running to each shiny, new thing that comes along.

Gassho

Risho
-sattoday

Mitty-san
09-05-2016, 04:24 AM
Understand?

Thanks, Jundo. I understand, at least in basic sense. In my opinion, for things like this, understanding is more of a continuum than a yes/no. I'll keep it in mind for the future and see what grows.

This week was a busy week so I didn't have a good chance to respond sooner.

gassho1

Sat today

Paul

Eishuu
09-05-2016, 05:23 PM
How do we know the difference between a practise not being quite right for us or a good fit and the ego chasing after endless shiny things?

I had a really difficult week on the cushion this week and at one point I nearly gave up Zazen altogether. At one point I started to even doubt that Buddhism was right for me. I went back to doing some other meditation practises, absolutely desperate to experience something different, something better and less painful than what I was experiencing in Zazen, which was feeling very tense and shut down. After a few days of this and feeling even worse I realised that I was just running around trying to get away from myself, so I just stopped and sat Zazen. Something let go and I spent half an hour on the cushion sobbing my heart out and it was just what I needed and just what I had been avoiding. After that I felt much more present, like the storm had passed. I sometimes find Zazen so hard, and I am aware that my little self often tries to use it to 'get something' or feel better. And it's usually at this point that I go looking for shiny things. I'm wondering if letting the ego exhaust itself and then give up is part of the process of sitting?

Gassho
Lucy
Sat today

Jundo
09-05-2016, 05:26 PM
How do we know the difference between a practise not being quite right for us or a good fit and the ego chasing after endless shiny things?

I had a really difficult week on the cushion this week and at one point I nearly gave up Zazen altogether. At one point I started to even doubt that Buddhism was right for me. I went back to doing some other meditation practises, absolutely desperate to experience something different, something better and less painful than what I was experiencing in Zazen, which was feeling very tense and shut down. After a few days of this and feeling even worse I realised that I was just running around trying to get away from myself, so I just stopped and sat Zazen. Something let go and I spent half an hour on the cushion sobbing my heart out and it was just what I needed and just what I had been avoiding. After that I felt much more present, like the storm had passed. I sometimes find Zazen so hard, and I am aware that my little self often tries to use it to 'get something' or feel better. And it's usually at this point that I go looking for shiny things. I'm wondering if letting the ego exhaust itself and then give up is part of the process of sitting?

Gassho
Lucy
Sat today

gassho1

Mp
09-05-2016, 05:28 PM

Gassho
Lucy
Sat today

This is a lovely expression of practice, thank you for sharing Lucy. =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Geika
09-05-2016, 05:30 PM
Lucy,

That happens. Really, it does. Yesterday, I felt really agitated when I started to chant before sitting, wondering why not just start sitting. Then I realized I was just looking for a reason to chant, perhaps some spiritual merit. There is none. The fact that there is no reason but just the chanting itself came to mind and then I realized exactly why I chant before zazen.

Gassho, sat today

Jakuden
09-05-2016, 07:41 PM
Thank you Risho and Lucy for your honest descriptions of what we do here... I'm right there with ya! Anxious Zazen, bored to tears Zazen, wonderful Zazen, all still Zazen. Should we pack up and seek another teacher? If we look deeply inside ourselves...we cannot be deceived.

Gassho
Jakuden
SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tai Shi
09-06-2016, 07:51 PM
Yes, very much I see all of Treeleaf Zendo my home group, and I feel comfortable enough to reveal my flaws, my shortcomings, me lack of humility, and certainly to ask for guidance. This is my home group, enough to ask for guidance through Ango with another, the blade of grass does nor find itself alone, and to form seed which is natural, it must have others, other blades of grass. Walt Whitman who could have easily have been a Soto Zen student, said it best "I sing of myself, and what I assume you shall assume as every blade of grass belonging to me belonging to you... as every atom belonging to me belonging to me belonging to you." So friends let us sing together, let us be together, let us sit together in the silence of Shikantaza, in the one hand, in Bodidharma, In the historical Buddha.

Tai Shi
Calm Poetry
std
Gassho

Jundo
09-07-2016, 01:51 AM
I don't get agitated before I sit, or while I sit, but I haven't found the initiative to begin chanting before I sit, or after I sit alone, and though I have the current book of chants, I haven't been been able to follow along in group sits--I'm so caught n the process of sitting (Shikantaza) I find I have less concentration at the beginning. During Zazenkai, I feel so honored tp be included. Also, I understand there will be a new process to sit for larger groups, and maybe this also applies to smaller groups as well. These changes are often difficult for me to make. For example, it took me about a year to get used ro hangout communication as it did with Skype in my personal life. And I would like to go through the process leading to Jukai again this year, as my process was less than acceptable--I need a partner for this process, and since I am still disabled in some ways, not in concentration or dedication, will someone be able to partner with me? I already have a Rakusu, and may not be able to sew a new one, so is it necessary for me to sew a new one? Back to the chanting, I am committed to Monday, Wednesday,and Thursday 9:30 pm sitting when I can make it that is my home group so to speak--and sometimes I have no computer available. I know this post covers much groundwork, yet I feel it is all necessary--perhaps all I need is a littl shove to use chants. I enjoy Zazenkai so very much and my home group, I am honored to be included and will seek to pay closer attention. Would someone like to be my partner?

Tai Shi
std
Gassho deep bows.

Hi Taishi,

I am going to move your measure into the Ango preparation discussions, and ask our Shuso to answer your questions. Please look here ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?14640-ANNOUNCEMENT-Treeleaf-ANGO-%28The-90-Days%29-2016&p=184579&viewfull=1#post184579

Gassho, Jundo

Sekishi
09-07-2016, 01:56 AM
Hi Taishi,

I am going to move your measure into the Ango preparation discussions, and ask our Shuso to answer your questions. Please look here ...

Gassho, Jundo

Thank you Jundo.

Tai Shi, I sent you a PM earlier today that will hopefully clarify things for you a bit. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Gassho,
Sekishi

AlanLa
09-13-2016, 01:47 PM
This is probably going to be the last post in this thread,,, again. But even if it isn't, I don't mean to be late to class every day. It's just all the myriad forms of life keep getting in the way of my being here. Or is it just life? Hah!

I tell my students all the time, "You are responsible for your learning, not me. I am responsible to do it in the best way I know how, but what you learn and how well you learn it are not up to me." I learn from my students all the time on how to teach better, how to make things clearer, how to be more patient, etc. because that's my responsibility and I truly do consider my students to be my teachers. It's just that we each teach in our own subject specialties.

And lastly, there can also be different rooms in the one school that people are more comfortable in, where the teachings work better for them. I used to be very involved in the general forum, but now I rarely ever go there. Early in my practice and time here it was a wonderful resource for me to express my self and get feedback and learn from others about other things, and so on, but not so much anymore. Now, this book club is my homeroom, the place where I am always late for school ;)