PDA

View Full Version : Play on Calligraphy

Risho
08-17-2016, 02:54 PM
So I'm not artist, and I found that out earlier this year when I got this gut instinct to do something special for my wife's birthday. I love gut instincts, and personal gifts are awesome.

Anyway, even though I'm not a proficient artist, I actually enjoy it quite a bit. I've always had a creative streak, so I'm going to do another project in the upcoming months - maybe during Ango.

I did a lot of research, I found a local art shop asked a lot of questions, bla. I felt like I entered a whole new world. It's amazing. So, I decided I would do acrylic because everyone says that's a good beginner medium, so I picked that. Initially I wanted to paint a sumi-e (ink painting) inspired Sakura tree -- or Japanese cherry tree in bloom. I love that image, we had a dog named Sakura, so it would be really symbolic and heartfelt

Except, I realized, that I didn't have the skill level to pull it off (it's so much easier in my mind haahahha), and even though I'm not an expert, I wanted to still do something that looked ok. So I chose calligraphy. I love calligraphy, and I soon realized it is very difficult. Very difficult. And when you are using acrylic you are really painting more than doing calligraphy.

So anyway, I wanted to stick with acrylic because I wanted to make sure it lasted, and I figured I could get brush to canvas much more quickly, although one of my dreams is to actually study sumi-e painting and calligraphy. I've always loved it. I love the strokes, I love the red signature stamps and how they pop against the black figures.

So I set up an adhoc studio in my cube at work to keep this completely secret. I had to sand the canvas, apply this medium (I think that's the correct term) called gesso to make sure that the canvas would be as smooth as possible. I repeated this 2 additional times, waiting about 24 hours between gesso coats.

Then when I was ready, I used paper strips and tape to frame out where I would paint each character. I'm no good at freehand; holy cow is that hard. So I wanted this to be as symmetrical as possible.

Ultimately, and sorry for the long story, but the process is so much fun even if the end product isn't good.

My wife was adopted in the US when she was 7, but she's South Korean, so I wanted to mix something that I really love (calligraphy) with something about her.

So I did this Korean calligraphy that says "Darling, I love you". Now on the lower right, instead of this being a traditional signature stamp, it looks like one, but it actually says "Happy Birthday". So it's a play on traditional calligraphy, and I'm pulling at the heart strings to compensate for lack of skill. hahahahah

If you click on it, it should appear a little bigger in a pop-up.

Gassho,

Risho
-sattoday

Geika
08-17-2016, 02:59 PM
I think it's nice! The strokes are imperfect yet deliberate, and it adds a very honest charm.

Gassho, sat today

Shugen
08-17-2016, 03:04 PM
I think she will love it!

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Risho
08-17-2016, 03:56 PM
oops sorry - I wrote it in my mind but not in my post; this was for her birthday in May. She did love it, but I was so nervous making it; my hands were shaking because I didn't know what I was doing. It was a real case of beginner's mind. lol

Gassho,

Risho
-sattoday

Jakuden
08-17-2016, 04:12 PM
Aw what a beautiful surprise that must have been, great job Risho!
Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taiyo
08-17-2016, 04:15 PM
No doubt about why she loved it, looks great!

Thanks for sharing :)

Gassho,
Andoitz

SatToday

Mp
08-17-2016, 05:29 PM
I think it's nice! The strokes are imperfect yet deliberate, and it adds a very honest charm.

Gassho, sat today

Yes, lovely Risho .... and glad she loved it, I can see why. =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Joyo
08-17-2016, 06:33 PM
oops sorry - I wrote it in my mind but not in my post; this was for her birthday in May. She did love it, but I was so nervous making it; my hands were shaking because I didn't know what I was doing. It was a real case of beginner's mind. lol

Gassho,

Risho
-sattoday

I draw, and paint, so I understand your nervousness and wanting to be perfect. But just have fun with it, the more you relax and don't even care about the outcome, the more fun it becomes.

It is really nice, btw. =)

Gassho,
Joyo
sat today

Jyukatsu
08-18-2016, 12:00 AM
This is really nice.....and what a lovely surprise for your wife !
Gassho,
Marina sat today

Shokai
08-18-2016, 01:21 AM
Hi Risho, absolutely beautiful!!!
You probably made a few die-hard calligraphy predecessors roll over (as in re-distribute their ashes) in their funeral urns but what a wonderful heart warming gift. And, you did great for a first attempt. Can't wait to see what you're doing in 25 years ;)

thanks for sharing
gassho, Shokai

Jundo
08-18-2016, 01:44 AM
I wish I could read Korean, but sure looks like Korean to me. :)

Lovely.

Gassho, Jundo

Mp
08-18-2016, 01:57 AM
I wish I could read Korean, but sure looks like Korean to me. :)

Lovely.

Gassho, Jundo

I think so too ... the circles give it away. =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Jinyo
08-18-2016, 08:15 AM
What a lovely thought - thank you for sharing.

Gassho

Willow

ST

Washin
08-18-2016, 08:38 AM
Awesome attempt! Looking nice. Thank you for sharing, Risho.
I too love the calligraphy and have a strong intention to begin learning
how-to soon.

Gassho
Washin
ST

Cooperix
08-18-2016, 10:27 AM
What a happy, thoughtful, loving gift. Your attention to detail is apparent, and brush strokes uninhibited. Good job.
Thanks for sharing.
Anne
~st~

Jishin
08-18-2016, 11:23 AM
What a perfect gift! :)

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Eishuu
08-18-2016, 11:34 AM
What a beautiful and thoughtful present. It's really evenly spaced, with a nice sense of balance. Really impressive for your first attempt!

I'm really interested in calligraphy too and have bought the brushes, ink and paper and am reading a few books on Shodo.

Gassho
Lucy