PDA

View Full Version : Buddha touching the Earth part #3

RichardH
05-12-2016, 02:22 PM
Hi. The initial inspiration for the art circle was to set forward project themes in three parts. Part one would be an introduction and discussion of the Dharma subject. Part two would be creative play and experimentation. Part three would be defining and working on more involved projects. This last part is where I would get engaged as a mirror, and as someone with professional experience in the creative process. It is where we would get into the nitty gritty of that process.

Treeleaf has a very wise “grain of salt” rule for trainees. I am a junior, a novice, who has the potential to be priest/teacher one day. At this very early point I am just learning to ring a bell and fold a Kesa. The teacher confers permission to step forward and speak on behalf of the tradition, when she/he sees that student is ready. It is a big responsibility. Needless to say, I am at the very beginning of that process, with no expectation going forward, and I see the training as an end in itself. Appearing to teach Dharma would be inappropriate.

The issue that has come up for me is an incompatibility between facilitating art at Treeleaf, and keeping the appropriate speech and conduct for my status as a junior priest-in-training. Outside of Treeleaf art-worklife and Buddhist-life have grown together since being a teen. Adopted by a local sangha like a surrogate family, Buddhism was “the way things are”. This means it has become inseparable from art making, and how I teach art. Even though Buddhism is never explicitly mentioned, it is impossible to teach, or engage the creative process with others, without appearing to teach dharma. I don't know any other way.

The solution I have come to is never talk about being an ordainee in work and personal life, because it would be inappropriate to appear to represent this sangha and the lineage. It is one thing to“just be me”, it is another thing to speak as a potential priest/teacher. At the same time the energy and desire-to-inspire that I bring to art making and sharing, will be kept separate from Sangha activity until stepping forward like that is appropriate in the course of training.

That was a bit long winded,...... so thank you for listening... hope it makes sense. I'm trying to figure out how to go forward with the art circle, but in the meantime please do post here your own ideas for projects that look into “The Buddha touching the earth" and please do discuss!

Gassho
Daizan

sat today

Sozan
05-13-2016, 09:25 PM
Hi Daizan,

I appreciate your candor. Art, like teaching is a sharing of your wisdom and understanding. As long as you are not declaring yourself an infalible source of the Dharma, I see no harm. I find this Art Circle a unique aid to both my practice and artistic persuits. I hope you will continue.

Deep Bows,
Sozan

s@2day

RichardH
05-14-2016, 08:43 AM
Hi Daizan,

I appreciate your candor. Art, like teaching is a sharing of your wisdom and understanding. As long as you are not declaring yourself an infalible source of the Dharma, I see no harm. I find this Art Circle a unique aid to both my practice and artistic persuits. I hope you will continue.

Deep Bows,
Sozan

s@2day

Hi Sozan. Being infallible is never a risk. My wife and son make sure of that..[morehappy]. The Art Circle is a commitment, so I'll stick with it, but it won't be the same as originally conceived. There is plenty of room for experiment.

Gassho
Daizan

sat today