PDA

View Full Version : It's Holy

Ishin
03-28-2016, 02:48 PM
My two boys are involved in Boy Scouts here in the United States, and although I am not a Catholic Christian we often do volunteer work that sometimes involves helping the church. This weekend the Scouts were in charge of lighting and supervising a bonfire to commence an Easter Vigil for the church, and people were coming up to the church to burn palms from palm Sunday. A woman came up to us and was very concerned that we would indeed burn her her palm branch. She insisted we burn it properly because it was holy.

This got me to thinking. What isn't holy. Is not the whole holy from our Zen Buddhist perspective. Are we treating each thing each moment with reverence. Dirty- Clean? Good- Bad? Mundane-Holy?

So that financial struggle you're having, that health issue you have, that difficulty with your relationship; please make sure you enjoy them, they are Holy.

Gassho
Ishin

Sat Today

Jakuden
03-28-2016, 03:17 PM
gassho1

Reminds me of one of Jundo's talks that I should probably go listen to again.... http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?9391-SIT-A-LONG-with-JUNDO-WHOLLY-HOLY-WHOLE&highlight=wholly

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday

Shinzan
03-28-2016, 03:25 PM
And at the same time.......
"Vast emptiness. Nothing holy." Bodhidharma.

_/st\_ Shinzan

Ishin
03-28-2016, 03:58 PM

_/st\_ Shinzan

Yes! Exactamundo!

[gassholook]

Sozan
03-28-2016, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Shinzan View Post

_/st\_ Shinzan

Not Holy, but not without regard or reverence.

Gassho,
Sozan

s@2day

Joyo
03-28-2016, 10:09 PM
Thank you for the reminder, Ishin.

Here's a song you might like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiypaURysz4

Gassho,
Joyo
sat today

Gokai
03-28-2016, 11:39 PM
Very... Very beatiful, Joyo. The lyrics are amazing. Thank You to share with us.
Gassho, David
Sattoday

Doshin
03-28-2016, 11:47 PM
Joyo,

I agree with David it is beautiful and I have never heard it before. I said as much in another post erroneously which I just deleted (made no sense there)!? Was listening to it and came back to wrong thread.:confused:

Gassho
Doshin
sattoday

Ishin
03-29-2016, 02:16 AM

Gassho,
Joyo
sat today.

Thanks Joyo and Happy Birthday a few days late , but happy nonetheless.

Gassho
Ishin
Sat Today

Rich
03-29-2016, 02:22 AM
Thanks Joyo. Watching that was very calming.

Sat today

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Jundo
03-29-2016, 02:30 AM

Gassho,
Joyo
sat today

What a lovely lovely song.

Of course, I fully support and honor those who find their meaning "inside" church too and traditional ways. Many paths for many walkers.

It is just that some find the "holy" inside churches and temples, some find it outside, some find it both inside and outside, some find the "holy" beyond yet right through both "inside or outside" ...

Gassho, J

SatToday

Gukan
03-29-2016, 08:25 AM
Thanks Joyo, that's a lovely song.

Jundo, sometimes it feels like 'many paths for one walker'! Some days the reverence and wonder get so big they think the only place to go is a deity. Other days they're just fine on the cushion. I try to see these different days as 'all of life's conditions' and not stress it. I don't think it changes who I am or how I act...

Gassho,
Libby

sattoday

Rich
03-29-2016, 03:21 PM
What about holy mackerel? What's with that?

-)
Sat today

Mp
03-29-2016, 03:35 PM
What about holy mackerel? What's with that?

I saw the bright moon in the clear morning sky and thought to myself, "holly molly" that's beautiful! =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Rich
03-29-2016, 03:57 PM
Thanks Shingen. It's all holy. Bodhidharma must have been talking about it before thinking.

Sat today

Mp
03-29-2016, 08:32 PM
It's all holy.

You got it brother! =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Byokan
03-29-2016, 09:02 PM
:):):)

Gassho
Byōkan
sat today

Kyonin
03-30-2016, 10:34 PM
Hi all,

Living in Mexico gives me a very special perspective on how the divisive mind works, specially when it comes to religious paraphernalia. People here will tell you a palm is holy, but not a regular plant. A car with a Christ sticker and blessing from a priest is holy, but not a taxi cab. They do stuff that might harm others, but since it's holy, it's okay to go about forcing people to convert.

In my little mind everything is holy, but at the same time everything is so common and regular, that anything is holy.

And in zazen we sit in the middle of it all and let life move along.

Gassho,

Kyonin
#SatToday

Jakuden
04-03-2016, 01:16 PM
Oh my, just listened to the song Joyo posted, how wonderful and perfect...Thank you!

Kyonin, it was similar growing up in a Catholic Italian neighborhood, holy statues and beads abounded, with little thought to the miracles all around. It never made sense to me.

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk