PDA

View Full Version : SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: GIVING, GENEROSITY and ENGAGEMENT

Jundo
02-13-2016, 03:33 AM
https://lsaruminations.edublogs.org/files/2015/05/generosity-color-pquolh.jpg

As one of a series of talks putting the spotlight on Treeleaf's ENGAGED & CHARITABLE PROJECTS CENTER ...

ENGAGED CENTER LINK (http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?67-ENGAGED-CHARITABLE-PROJECTS-CENTER)

... I would like to speak of the traditional Buddhist Paramita (Virtue) of Dana ... Generosity, Charity, Giving.

To give and be charitable takes us out of our selfish concerns for our own well-being alone. There are hungry mouths to feed in this world, and we can all do something. There are none of us so impoverished or wanting that we cannot give something to someone in need ... money, food, kindness, comfort, encouragement, teachings of wisdom ... especially for so many of us in relatively wealthy Western society.

However, there is also something special about giving from a Zen Buddhist point of view ... namely, that even as we give, there is nothing in need of giving or lacking ... there is truly no giver, receiver or gift ...

... nothing in need of giving, no giver or hungry mouths to feed ... yet we give nonetheless, for there are hungry mouths to feed! All True At Once, As One.

Perhaps we might say that, transcending giver-receiver-gift, only the naked generosity remains which holds and sweeps in all of us in the world's embrace. As you breathe every breath of air, bite a sweet apple and drink the refreshing water that the earth provides, as the sunlight shines down, know all this as just the world's generosity. We must pay it back.

https://youtu.be/olwpTaYC88M

Listen Through our Treeleaf Audio Podcast HERE:
http://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/february-2016-sit-a-long-with-jundo-giving-generosity-and-engagement/

Doshin
02-13-2016, 02:58 PM
Wonderfully said and very encouraging.

When I was introduced to meditation in the late 1960s it was not attached to Buddhism. However it led in that direction. But I was put off by it because I did not understand. Statements like "it is what it is" in response to my youthful 'let's change the world' mindset against the ravages of war, starvation, prejudice, degradation of our beautiful life giving planet just turned me off. We could not just accept all that which was wrong.

As time moved on I returned to meditation but placed Buddhism in the same file box of all the other religions, Not for Me! In fact they were causes of the problems, not the solutions. But as with all things, time brought new perspectives, new teachers. I picked up a few Zen books 15 or so years ago and took another look. I read the works of Thich Nhat Hanh and saw that he did not just sit back and "accept" the world's BS but was "engaged" in changing things. My kind of guy. The more I read and learned the more I realized that he was not the only one engaged and I learned "it is what it is" and that was a path for sanity while working to change things.

Your talk today resonated strongly within me today and I wanted to share my journey. Thank you for this most necessary and important teaching.

Gassho
Doshin
Sattoday

Mp
02-13-2016, 03:04 PM
Lovely, thank you Jundo. =)

"Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profundity. Kindness in giving creates love." - Lao Tzu

Gassho
Shingen

#sattoday

Jakuden
02-13-2016, 04:37 PM
Thank you Jundo (and thank you for sharing, Doshin, it sounds like you have been on the path of Right Effort for a long time!)
Gassho
Jakuden
SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kotei
02-14-2016, 08:13 AM
Thank you, Jundo.
There is, for sure, more I can do.

Gassho,
Kotei sattoday.

Washin
02-14-2016, 08:22 AM
Thank you for the teaching, Jundo.

Gassho
Washin
sat-today

Jika
02-14-2016, 02:34 PM
gassho1

Theophan
02-15-2016, 05:13 AM
Jundo,
Thank You. A wonderful reminder on giving.
Gassho,
Theophan
(Sekishi)
Sat Today

Kyonin
02-15-2016, 12:52 PM
I believe Zen Buddhism is a philosophy of action. You need to take practice to life and always keep in mind service towards others.

Thank you for this talk, Jundo.

Gassho,

Kyonin
#SatToday

Eishuu
02-17-2016, 09:04 PM
Thank you Jundo. That was really inspiring.

Gassho
Lucy
Sat today

Jishin
02-21-2016, 02:39 PM
Hi,

I like to invest my money wisely where I get good dividends for my investment. What a wonderful way it is to give to Treeleaf and get such a high rate of return!

Hint hint...

:)

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Tai Shi
02-21-2016, 03:03 PM
Hi Jundo,

Thinking of the Precepts, and to announce how, when, and why one gives is not in line with my vows, and, thus, know that giving is in my small corner. Let us be happy in our giving, and let us do what is right in our practice.

Please note: I have been misspelling my Dharma name--this is new to me--

Elgwyn
Calm Poetry
Taishi
sat today
Gassho

Shokai
02-22-2016, 12:36 PM
Hi Jundo;
Beautiful teaching, thank you
gassho

#SATTODAY