PDA

View Full Version : Why do you sit here,Soto Japanese style Zazen at Trealeaf?

Kakunen
01-30-2016, 11:02 AM
I want to ask for you.

Because I am Japanese.

I was at Antaiji and I meet lots of people from oversea from western country.

They have sometimes experience of sitting other country Zen,Korea and China and other eastern country.

Lots of person who live at western country can not know our race.

I realize that our Soto style is different from another style.

Myosha
01-30-2016, 11:15 AM
Hello,

"Why . . .?"

Teacher is here.

Gassho
Myosha sat today

Kakunen
01-30-2016, 11:41 AM
Hello,

"Why . . .?"

Teacher is here.

Gassho
Myosha sat today

Jundo is not at here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jundo
01-30-2016, 01:00 PM
Then where the heck am I? [scared]

Jika
01-30-2016, 01:03 PM
Dear Konan,

I live in Germany.
I have a friend who was born in Hiroshima, who came to Germany to study the piano.
Now she is teaching the piano here.
She likes playing Bach, Schubert, Chopin, Yoshimatsu.

Does she play and teach Japanese piano or German piano?

Gassho
Jika
#sattoday

Kairu
01-30-2016, 01:59 PM
If I were and ancient Indian buddhist I might ask you why you only sit in Japan. The Buddhist style is different from the Soto style.

Kyle,
Sat2day.

Myosha
01-30-2016, 02:21 PM
Jundo is not at here.

Hello,

Good point. Being selfish. All and no one . . .

dropping all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' . . . we are sitting all together.

Gassho
Myosha sat today

Jundo
01-30-2016, 02:26 PM
Today I was in Sushi restaurant here in Tsukuba where they serve "California Roll" (a Sushi roll with avocado and mayonnaise) that was invented in America when Sushi first caught on there, was later back-imported to Japan and has since become incredibly popular here.

Is this place Japan, America, Europe, the Universe? Just delicious! :p

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/california-rolls-featured.jpg

Gassho, Jundo

Doshin
01-30-2016, 03:05 PM
I did not know I was sitting Japanese style. [duh]

My ancestors came here from Europe almost 400 hundred years ago. Living in New Mexico I eat a lot of Mexican food. Apparently I sit Japanese style. And yet I am an American which by definition is many cultures and many ways. We live in a culturally rich world. All good. Thanks for sharing your way.

Gassho
Doshin
Sattoday

Mp
01-30-2016, 03:23 PM
When I sit ... there is no me and you; Japanese, American, Canadian, or European; no separateness in race, age, or gender; no here or there; no Treeleaf or Antaiji. All these things are conditions within our minds, so when I sit, I allow them to drop away ... if they arise I acknowledge them and then let them fall away. I feel zazen is not about differences, but about wholeness ... oneness ... through and through! =)

Gassho
Shingen

#sattoday

alan.r
01-30-2016, 03:46 PM
Then where the heck am I? [scared]

Lol!

Gassho,
Alan
sat today

Doshin
01-30-2016, 05:13 PM
When I sit ... there is no me and you; Japanese, American, Canadian, or European; no separateness in race, age, or gender; no here or there; no Treeleaf or Antaiji. All these things are conditions within our minds, so when I sit, I allow them to drop away ... if they arise I acknowledge them and then let them fall away. I feel zazen is not about differences, but about wholeness ... oneness ... through and through! =)

Gassho
Shingen

#sattoday

Sounds right to me/us.

Gassho
Doshin
Sattoday

Geika
01-30-2016, 06:20 PM
I think it was Suzuki Roshi who said that a Westerner's unfamiliarity with Japanese language and culture gives us a unique earnestness to learn, or a kind of beginner's mind.

I believe Rev. Muho is from Germany, but he enjoys the practice and lifestyle enough to learn well enough to become the abbot of Antaiji.

I know I will never understand Japanese culture fully, but I do think the teachings of Buddha, an Indian, are so simple that they transcend cultural boundaries.

Gassho, and my apologies if I don't quite get the true question of the original post.

Sat today

Jishin
01-30-2016, 06:24 PM
Because of the green booger hanging from my nose.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Byrne
01-30-2016, 11:32 PM
Japanese Buddhists inspire me. The Zen guys and the Pure Land guys in particular. They are more removed from India compared to the Chinese where they mostly learned it. I'm sure many Chinese Buddhists thought the Japanese were being "Buddhist correctly", and yet they found ways to relate the teachings to their unique culture that only exists in Japan. I've toured through Japan several times with a Japanese singer and work with several Japanese musicians who come to the USA. You're right that unless one is Japanese and is raised in Japan it may be impossible to ever really understand what that means. I'm okay with that. If Japan can enrich Buddhism on their own merits so can the west.

Gassho

Sat Today

Kakunen
01-31-2016, 12:07 AM
I am sorry.I give up talking for a while here and just sit.

That is not bad for me.

I think our style glow up under Japanese culture and our season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AieSqkpawG4

My teacher Jinen(meaning TAO in Chinese)said for us.Wester people must throw mind for our style more to go to right direction.

I heard good thought about treeleafer.But I can not feel good word...

Dogen went to China from Japan.So I went to Treeleaf and Antai-ji.And do effort to throw away mind.

I think we have more patient to study about Zen.
I know identity of Treeleaf Internet Zendo.But I just feel here is just online.

Breath and breath,blood on blood..I need.

I will report about Japanese Zen and sit with you.

Rich
01-31-2016, 12:30 AM
Thanks

SAT today

Jishin
01-31-2016, 12:31 AM

Hi Konan,

If you felt here were just online you would not practice here.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Geika
01-31-2016, 12:51 AM
Konan,

You are often sitting in real life at Antaiji and Treeleaf Zendo. I can understand why Treeleaf forum might feel like just internet. Many people here find after time there is a strong sangha and friendship beyond internet. Sitting online is the only way for me right now. It may not be the same as real life, but I practice as sincerely as I can. It is all I can do. Better than not practicing.

Gassho, sat today

Mp
01-31-2016, 01:22 AM
I practice as sincerely as I can. It is all I can do.

Geika these words say it all I feel. Yes some parts of practice or engagement might be difficult, but we practice as sincerely as we can. Even when practice is smooth and easy, we again practice as sincerely as we can. Sincerity, devotion, humility, openness, gratitude, generosity, kindness ... these are some of the important values in our practice, not so much where we are with our practice, but rather how we are within our practice. =)

Gassho
Shingen

#sat today with sincerity #right here #right now

Yugen
01-31-2016, 01:54 AM
While "Zen" may be Japanese in character, I'd like to think it is the gift and legacy that many talented and dedicated teachers have given to us - it is the legacy of all humans who choose to practice and is not defined by national character - I know Nishijima and Suzuki believed this - others such as Nishitani Keiji of the Kyoto School and Hisamatsu Shinichi wrote broadly of this legacy. When zen or any religion becomes defined by a national identity, it becomes at best one dimensional.

There are many teachers and practitioners in the west who are continuing this legacy, and the form it will take, the name it will take on are a work in progress. It may not even be called Zen.

Deep bows
Yugen

sat2day

alan.r
02-02-2016, 04:07 PM
I heard good thought about treeleafer.But I can not feel good word...

Dogen went to China from Japan.So I went to Treeleaf and Antai-ji.And do effort to throw away mind.

I think we have more patient to study about Zen.

Breath and breath,blood on blood..I need.

I will report about Japanese Zen and sit with you.

Hi Konan

I'm not sure what you mean by you "can not feel good word."

But here is my response: who cares if you can't feel good words? That is your feeling.

If you're making an effort to throw away your mind, throw away these good words.

If you're making an effort to throw away your mind, throw away your effort.

Treeleaf is just online. A zendo is just a building. If one is real and the other isn't, then you're not throwing anything away. Where is the real Zendo, the real Sangha? In a building? In the mountains? In a hut? A hermitage?

Like Geika says, you can practice sincerely anywhere. You can't escape this anywhere - it's not online and it's not in a Zendo. That’s why I practice here.

Gassho,
Alan
sat today

Risho
02-02-2016, 08:33 PM
Excellent! Thank you Alan

Gassho,

Risho
-sattoday

Mp
02-02-2016, 08:40 PM
Hi Konan

I'm not sure what you mean by you "can not feel good word."

But here is my response: who cares if you can't feel good words? That is your feeling.

If you're making an effort to throw away your mind, throw away these good words.

If you're making an effort to throw away your mind, throw away your effort.

Treeleaf is just online. A zendo is just a building. If one is real and the other isn't, then you're not throwing anything away. Where is the real Zendo, the real Sangha? In a building? In the mountains? In a hut? A hermitage?

Like Geika says, you can practice sincerely anywhere. You can't escape this anywhere - it's not online and it's not in a Zendo. That’s why I practice here.

Gassho,
Alan
sat today

Thank you Alan, very nice expression. =)

Gassho
Shingen

#sattoday

Eishuu
02-03-2016, 11:25 AM
Hello Konan,

Thank you for sharing the poem. I am interested in knowing more about Japanese culture ... thank you for offering to share this. It is an interesting question perhaps how Zen and Japanese culture intertwine or mix - what is the Dharma and what is Japanese in Zen, and does that question even make sense? In comparision to Buddhism in Asia, Buddhism in the West is much much younger and still establishing itself and being formed by our culture. Who knows what it will be in 100s or 1000s of years time.

In answer to your initial question, I have tried many different flavours of Buddhism and I am practising Soto Zen now because it feels like the right medicine, and I am practising here because I really like Jundo's teaching and this feels like a sangha where many online groups or forums do not. I am grateful that Treeleaf is available in my living room 24 hours a day, and also sometimes I struggle with the online nature of it too. I understand your need for 'breath and breath, blood on blood'...I really enjoy sitting with other people in a room meditating...it is very special. It sounds like that is really important to you. For me, this place feels special too.

I would be interested to know more about what you meant when you said you 'can not feel good word'. I wonder what 'good word' would look or feel like to you?

Gassho
Lucy
Sat today

Chiko
02-03-2016, 03:22 PM
Sitting with a group in person or online doesn't feel that much different to me. Both help to "align" my practice of sitting alone. But at the heart of this practice, sticky thoughts are sticky whether alone or not. Those sitting with me serve to remind me to return to planet Earth as frequently as I can.

gassho1
Chiko (Matt/Zuhair)
SatToday

Thank you all for your practice.

Kyonin
02-03-2016, 11:11 PM
Thank you Mr. K.

This is so important for me that I think I might add it to my daily practice.

Gassho,

Kyonin
#SatToday

Kakunen
02-04-2016, 04:38 AM
Shyunryu Suzuki said. We say nothing after Zazen. You are saying to much.

Be quiet and just sit.

I am just only Japanese here.Do you have respect mind for me?

Gassho.What is mean of Gassho?

Jundo
02-04-2016, 05:53 AM

Be quiet and just sit.

I am just only Japanese here.Do you have respect mind for me?

Gassho.What is mean of Gassho?

Hi Konan,

There is a time to speak, a time to be quiet.

I think that I once told you in the car, as I was giving you a ride someplace, that if you actually could record every word spoken each day among the residents of monasteries ... be it Antaiji or Eiheiji or even a little temple like Anonji ... about everything from Zazen to Ceremony Procedures to the menu to laundry to the weather to their problems in life ... I guaranty that they have many more conversations, many more words than we do. How many one-to-one and group conversations and talks and phone calls and book readings happen in those places? So much more than here I bet.

Shunryu Suzuki sure said a lot!

http://www.cuke.com/Cucumber%20Project/shunryu%20info/shunryu%20info.html

What is probably confusing is that our little conversations tend to be in written form, not only oral, so tend to be more visible. Also, for non-native a written foreign language looks a lot harder and thicker sometimes (I know).

Of course we respect you as Japanese, and as you. So what?

Gassho, Jundo

Kakunen
02-04-2016, 06:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B2X44LVIxE

英語はよくわかりません。

Kakunen
02-04-2016, 06:41 AM
[QUOTE=Konan;172544]

I do not know what Jundo said.
I am begginer at English.

So we are together at Antaiji.

Why do we stay together?

Turky French American from Itary Japanese.French come from Jewish

American is not country and said about their power.

Fuck and foolish and shame!

American can not stay there everybody.

Jundo must change mind.America must lose .

Also I know his roots!

Jundo
02-04-2016, 08:47 AM
[QUOTE=Konan;172544]

So we are together at Antaiji.

Why do we stay together?

Turky French American from Itary Japanese.French come from Jewish

American is not country and said about their power.

Fuck and foolish and shame!

American can not stay there everybody.

Jundo must change mind.America must lose .

Also I know his roots!

Hi Konan,

Now I am confused. Please write in Japanese so I can get your point.

Not sure what America or roots has to do with it.

Gassho, Jundo

Kyotai
02-04-2016, 09:36 AM
And there are those who mostly prefer quiet, are always around but have little to say. You do not see them sitting in the back of the zazen hall at treeleaf, but they are there. We mostly cannot see each other, body language is not available to the senses at treeleaf and as such, one must make more care in expressing thoughts on forums.

I respect you Konan. Your roots or country of origin do not matter to me.

You were born on this chunk of dirt, I was born on that chunk of dirt.

It's just dirt :)

Thank you for your practice.

Gassho, Kyotai
Sat today

Kairu
02-04-2016, 10:33 AM
"Americans cannot stay at Antaiji", or "there are no Americans at Antaiji"?

Also, I don't think there's anything shameful or ignorant being part of an online sangha.

Additionally, I have respect for the Japanese, or else this school of practice wouldn't exist. We also wouldn't have some of the greatest minds this world has to offer.

You also have to give foreigners a break. Sure, we can visit Japan, but as for STAYING in Japan for (let's say) a 4 month retreat... You're gonna have to have a work visa or pay out the yin yang.

Just trying to be fair.

Kyle,
Sat2day.

Jundo
02-04-2016, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=Konan;172544]

Let me try to summarize in Japanese ...

沈黙の時間があり、話をする時間があります

人々はここよりも安泰寺ではるかに話します。それをすべてを記録した場合, 個人個人やグループの会話で, 人々が生活の中で彼らの問題に天候に洗濯物にメニューにセレモニーの手順に禅について毎日話し ます. それはここに書かれた言葉であり、あなたはネイティブスピーカーではないので、実際よりも複数の単語である と思われるからです。

話をする時間に, 鈴木も多くのことを話しました

もちろん、私たちは日本人としてあなたを尊重し、私たちはあなたとしてあなたを尊重し。 だから何?

合掌, Jundo

Kyonin
02-04-2016, 11:05 AM
Hi Mr.K.

I respect you and consider you a friend regardless of language or country.

If you have a smile for me, you are a friend!

And I do agree with you. Sometimes we tend to talk too much. But sometimes words are necessary for us to understand... and then we keep silence.

Gassho,

Kyonin
#SatToday

Jishin
02-04-2016, 12:17 PM
I'm here at Treeleaf, because I have social anxiety

Hi Anneliese,

I think this is the case for a lot of people at Treeleaf, me included. :-)

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Joyo
02-04-2016, 02:26 PM
Anneliese and Jishin, me too. [gassholook]

Gassho,
Joyo
sat today

alan.r
02-04-2016, 04:19 PM
Thanks Shingen and Risho for the nice words. I have to say, I'm not sure what this thread is really about. There seems to be some cultural divide Konan wants to discuss? Some divide between cultures? And we're not addressing this in the way he wants? This is speculation. In any case, as many have tried to suggest, yes, cultural differences exist, but the human heart is the human heart. Mr. K, I like the video of the poem you posted, I respect you. To me, despite how the poem is read in the video, it ends on a sad note, with maybe some hope mixed in. Longing. "The person I want to be." Here, to me, is that same poem, from Western viewpoint.

The Lake Isle of Innisfree
W. B. Yeats, 1865 - 1939

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee;
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping
slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket
sings;
There midnight’s all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet’s wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart’s core.

Gassho,
Alan
sat today

Kakunen
02-04-2016, 09:02 PM
安泰寺でもshameやquietと言う言葉はたまに飛び出した。

あまり使わない言葉だ。

その人がある意図を持って使った。

人間性と状況と皆への配慮。

だから我々は切磋琢磨した。

インターネットだけで禅が成り立つとは思えない。サポートにはなるけど。

私の事を知らない皆さんは、私に反対したり、見当違いなことを言う。

インターネットでもGoogle翻訳でも分からない。

止まらない国アメリカ。知りたい、知りたい、知りたい。

Kakunen
02-04-2016, 10:38 PM
私は今晩仕事を終えて安穏寺禅堂に行く、そして月曜日に帰る。片道二時間半。

日本に禅堂は多くない。ただ顔を合わせて座り、作務をする。

これが基本だと思う。

苦労して行く。私も安泰寺に行ったときはめまいで歩けなかった。インターネットに頼ってはいけ ない。

Joyo
02-04-2016, 11:18 PM
"Do not rely on the internet" [??]

Are any of us relying on the internet? That is not what Treeleaf is about.

Gassho,
Joyo
sat today (without the use of the internet)

Jishin
02-05-2016, 01:31 AM
至道無難 唯嫌揀擇

但莫憎愛 洞然明白

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Kakunen
02-05-2016, 03:55 AM
至道無難 唯嫌揀擇

但莫憎愛 洞然明白

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

これは中国語だね。よくわかんないや!

Kakunen
02-05-2016, 03:55 AM
"Do not rely on the internet" [??]

Are any of us relying on the internet? That is not what Treeleaf is about.

Gassho,
Joyo
sat today (without the use of the internet)

よくわかんないや。なんで日本語じゃないの?

Kakunen
02-05-2016, 04:16 AM
Hi Mr.K.

I respect you and consider you a friend regardless of language or country.

If you have a smile for me, you are a friend!

And I do agree with you. Sometimes we tend to talk too much. But sometimes words are necessary for us to understand... and then we keep silence.

Gassho,

Kyonin
#SatToday

僕のことを否定しないで。君はメキシカンだよね。

僕の友人であるイリーナは僕を助けてくれた。同じ立場にあるアルゼンチンの友人もとても穏やか だった。

僕らの国は支配をされたこともある。

Kakunen
02-05-2016, 04:39 AM
安泰寺の首座である イタリア系アメリカ人の無為さんと フランス生まれユダヤ人のベン 彼は 僕の同部屋で した。

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9vEzd8Aa_M

Kakunen
02-05-2016, 05:06 AM
[QUOTE=Jundo;172555][QUOTE=Konan;172545]

Let me try to summarize in Japanese ...

沈黙の時間があり、話をする時間があります

人々はここよりも安泰寺ではるかに話します。それをすべてを記録した場合, 個人個人やグループの会話で, 人々が生活の中で彼らの問題に天候に洗濯物にメニューにセレモニーの手順に禅について毎日話し ます. それはここに書かれた言葉であり、あなたはネイティブスピーカーではないので、実際よりも複数の単語である と思われるからです。

話をする時間に, 鈴木も多くのことを話しました

もちろん、私たちは日本人としてあなたを尊重し、私たちはあなたとしてあなたを尊重し。 だから何?

だから何?っていう言葉は他人を侮辱する言葉です。辞めてください。だから何?means ,so what? This means be quiet.

Jishin
02-05-2016, 12:14 PM
これは中国語だね。よくわかんないや!

In Japanese = the Great Path is not difficult for those who do not pick and choose.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Jundo
02-05-2016, 12:58 PM
安泰寺でもshameやquietと言う言葉はたまに飛び出した。

あまり使わない言葉だ。

その人がある意図を持って使った。

人間性と状況と皆への配慮。

だから我々は切磋琢磨した。

インターネットだけで禅が成り立つとは思えない。サポートにはなるけど。

私の事を知らない皆さんは、私に反対したり、見当違いなことを言う。

インターネットでもGoogle翻訳でも分からない。

止まらない国アメリカ。知りたい、知りたい、知りたい。

あなたの頭はアイデアでいっぱいです. インターネット、安泰寺の両方はあなたの考えにのみ存在しています. あなたはそれを理解するまで、あなたがどこまで旅行してもそれは無意味である.

だから何?っていう言葉は他人を侮辱する言葉です。辞めてください。だから何?means ,so what? This means be quiet.

私はあなたが私たちがすべて静かにするべきであると述べたと思いました!!

Be quiet and just sit.

Gassho, J

Joko
02-11-2016, 01:31 AM
Does anyone else find this exchange with Konan both confusing and disturbing? I believe that everyone here has the utmost respect for all nationalities and cultures. Is it a question of language that is causing some tension? I am grateful that Jundo can help by communicating in Konan's native language. I lived in Japan for 15+ years and have the greatest respect for the culture and the people but what does this have to do with Zen Buddhism?

Jundo
02-11-2016, 03:04 AM
Does anyone else find this exchange with Konan both confusing and disturbing? I believe that everyone here has the utmost respect for all nationalities and cultures. Is it a question of language that is causing some tension? I am grateful that Jundo can help by communicating in Konan's native language. I lived in Japan for 15+ years and have the greatest respect for the culture and the people but what does this have to do with Zen Buddhism?

Hmmmmm.

I will say this, reflecting on my 27 years in Japan. Sure, there is a very common cultural bias here about such things (I am not commenting specifically about what Mr. K. wrote, but a general societal propensity), and some feeling in Japan that "only Japanese" (not even the Chinese, although they are the source of the Zen school) really can understand "Zen". Same for some other traditions ranging from Tea Ceremony to Sumo wrestling.

And you know, they are right! Yes, when it comes to certain aspects of Japanese style Zen Practice, they may be correct. Only a society that can do so well something like this, for example ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o0lzaJ2Xrg

... can understand the power of throwing oneself body&mind into a Zen Ceremony like so (please watch a couple of minutes from the 4:45 mark) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBF2q0p9pdg

... or the precision of the Tea Ceremony (you should watch all if you have the time) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EcrbUc3iYs

Although, that is not really true for I know many foreigners here in Japan who have become masters of such arts, and the elegant precision of such ceremonies (I am certainly not one, being more a master of "Klutz Zen" [wave] ).

But ya know, I believe that Zen as it has come to the West has also developed a power, vibrancy, creativity, understanding of history and even of the meaning of the Teachings of the school that may be uncommon here in Japan. On this latter point, one has to know something about the educational system here, including within many of the Buddhist universities and monasteries, which can be very rote, one dimensional and "one ear out the other" among students, many of whom are only young kids trying to get through the monastery as fast as they can to take over their dad's temple (temples are inherited these days in Japan, mostly biological father to son). There is also a stagnating emphasis on Ceremony and Funerals, and little on Zazen or the intellectual side of Zen, which is very much not the case at most Zen Centers in the west. Many experienced people in America and Europe these days are more focused on Zazen (the vast majority of Zen temples, Rinzai and Soto, in Japan have no Zazen group, and only 20% of Japanese Zen priests profess to maintain a sitting habit after leaving the monastery and taking over the family temple), and the westerners may know more deeply about the history, stories and tenets than even many Japanese priests! Truly.

Many of the changes as Buddhism comes West and into modern times may simply be seen as adjustments to fit different cultures and times, some are truly revolutionary, while others may not prove to have been good. Only time will tell. I sometimes say ...

In some important ways, sincere lay practitioners today may enjoy better surrounding circumstances for practice than did the average monk in, for example, Dogen's day. Things in the "Golden Age" were not so golden as we too easily romanticize. Most monks back then were half-educated (even in Buddhism), semi-literate (or what passed for literacy in those times), superstition driven, narrow folks who may have understood less about the traditions and teachings they were following ... their history and meaning and depth ... than we now know. The conditions for practice within old temples and monasteries might have been less than ideal, many teachers less than ideal, despite our idealization of the old timers. Studying Sutras by smoky oil lamp, living one's days out in Japan or Tibet while having no real information grasp on China and India and the customs of prior centuries, living in a world of rumor and magic and misunderstanding (in which all kinds of myths and stories and superstitions were taken as explanations for how the world works), unable to access a modern Buddhist library, or to "Google" a reliable source (emphasis on making sure it is reliable however!) to check some point, or to ask a real expert outside one's limited circle, being beholden to only one teacher at a time (no matter how poor a teacher), with no knowledge of the human brain and some very important discoveries of science ... and after all that effort ... getting sick and dying at the age of 40 from some ordinary fever. (Can you even imagine trying to listen to Dogen Zenji recite "live" a Shobogenzo teaching from way across the room ... without a modern microphone and PA system and "Youtube" to let one replay it all? I suppose many never heard a word!)

Now, that being said ... I know Americans are just as chauvinistic about, well "AMERICA!" (just attend a Donald Trump rally to see), Spanish people about Flamenco guitar, French people about French cooking (some of the best French chefs in the world these days are not French ... including lots of Japanese) ...

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7001f030-41eb-11e4-b98f-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3zpBk6T2Z

(maybe that emphasis on ritual and precision has something to do with it?) ...

... including cooking new forms of hybrid Japonaise-Francaise fusion nouvelle cuisine that is simply magnificent, taking the best of all possible worlds.

Perhaps we are cooking a hybrid "fusion nouvelle Zen". So what? DELICIOUS!

Gassho, J

SatToday (on the Zafu which has no east or west).

PS - Foreigners have given a polite "kick in the butt" to the dusty and declining Sumo world as well ..

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/02/06/national/media-national/sumo-commentary-need-stress-foreignness-wrestlers/#.Vrv6r7J96Uk

Joyo
02-11-2016, 03:12 AM
Thank you for explaining, Jundo.

I noticed you didn't add Canadians to that list. We do get pretty uptight about certain "Canadian" things like flannel shifts, hockey, and mounties. :D

Gassho,
Joyo
sat today

Mp
02-11-2016, 03:17 AM
Thank you for explaining, Jundo.

I noticed you didn't add Canadians to that list. We do get pretty uptight about certain "Canadian" things like flannel shifts, hockey, and mounties. :D

Gassho,
Joyo
sat today

You got that right eh! LOL :encouragement:

Gassho
Shingen

#sattoday

Jundo
02-11-2016, 03:50 AM
I almost added this guy, who I got to know through the internet ... and because he shares my name ...

... famous Canadian flamenco guitarist James Cohen ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME92A403-84

... and yes, they are a bit "fusion" too ...

... and ain't that magifico!

Gassho, J

SatToday con Duende!

Mp
02-11-2016, 04:00 AM
I almost added this guy, who I got to know through the internet ... and because he shares my name ...

... famous Canadian flamenco guitarist James Cohen ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME92A403-84

... and yes, they are a bit "fusion" too ...

... and ain't that magifico!

Gassho, J

SatToday con Duende!

That is awesome ... we just have to get you a hat like that too! :encouragement:

Gassho
Shingen

#sattoday

Jundo
02-11-2016, 06:39 PM
A word to everyone here, please ...

Be gentle with Mr. K. You already are, but I sense some desire to protect me or Treeleaf. Be gentle here. Some may want to be responding sharply out of a desire to react, but I think Mr K is hurting a bit. A friendly smile would be better.

Gassho, Jundo

Doshin
02-11-2016, 09:28 PM
A word to everyone here, please ...

Be gentle with Mr. K. You already are, but I sense some desire to protect me or Treeleaf. Be gentle here. Some may want to be responding sharply out of a desire to react, but I think Mr K is hurting a bit. A friendly smile would be better.

Gassho, Jundo

gassho2

Doshin
Sattoday

Ishin
02-11-2016, 11:06 PM
To answer the original question, I felt I wanted to learn more about Zen, and I found it resonates with me, regardless of cultural bias. There is no place for me to go to a physical Zendo that is convenient to my life. Now that I am here I am not sure I would join another Sangha. I have met and sat with some of you in real-life, and I have sat with some of you online. I don't feel a difference. Sitting is sitting, and if you think there is a difference or that difference is very important, maybe you need to sit some more. I have met Jundo in real life, and I have conversed with him and many others here. My deeper discussions have been here, where people tend to take time before they respond to something. Frankly, I think I learn more here on this forum and more quickly, than I would ever be able to in a real life Zendo.

All of life everywhere is our temple, Japan, the United States, Europe, and yes sadly even Canada [evil2] You sit where you sit, you learn where you are. I am not trying to be Japanese and I am not trying to be American either, I am trying to be myself, even while loosing myself.

Gassho
Ishin
#Sat Today

Washin
02-12-2016, 09:37 AM
Well said, Ishin. gassho2

Gassho
Washin sat-today

Jika
02-12-2016, 12:57 PM
... please remember Doshin/Dan in Israel, too.
Anshu, Indonesia.
Hands up from Australia/New Zeeland? Geoff??
At least one from Vulcan, it seems? :)

Many people in many places, beautiful.

Gassho
Jika
#sattoday

Kyotai
02-12-2016, 01:45 PM
and yes sadly even Canada [evil2]

#Sat Today

Oh no..! poor Canada :(

Gassho, Kyotai
sat today

Byrne
02-12-2016, 05:39 PM
Jundo,

Thank you so much for providing so much context about the nature of Buddhism and its many forms throughout history. Rebirth takes on so many forms and the illiterate, non-learned, non-sitting Buddhist monks and funeral directors of the past present and future most certainly deserve our respect just as much as we revere Dogen, or Hui Neng, or Bodhidharma, or Shakyamuni Buddha. It's insane how much information on can get on Buddhism through the Internet. From the comfort of our rich western lives we can amass a huge collection of texts and resources. We may fool ourselves into thinking we have the best conditions for Buddhist practice. But that's foolish. Buddhism is worthless if it isn't transmitted from heart to heart over time. Not text to text. Or Internet thread to Internet thread. Heart to heart comes in many non-forms. All connected through causes and conditions.

The causes and conditions that brought all of us here to Treeleaf are just that, causes and conditions. Causes and conditions sent many people into many Buddhist temples for many reasons. Not all of those reasons were to practice Buddhism. But does that matter? Temples in and of themselves don't matter in the grand scheme of things just as being a monk or a layperson doesn't either. It's all a matter of rebirth. Where you've been, where you're at, where you're going. Even the most ignorant monk who never thinks of Buddha is still Buddha, keeping the Buddha's name on the tongues of all who come across him, setting the stage for a favorable rebirth somewhere, sometime, somehow. If we are fortunate to find ourselves in such a rebirth we should be grateful. Nothing more.

In the hearts and minds of people Buddhism is alive because it is in our hearts and minds. It got there how it got there because of causes and conditions. Maybe we are better Buddhists because we have read more and sit everyday. Maybe we are terrible Buddhists because we aren't from countries that have a cultural backdrop and history that pierces the dharma most honestly. Maybe we read too much and we don't know what we're talking about. Maybe we are liberated from meaningless ceremonies and can really get to the meat of what this way of life is all about.

We definitely think about ourselves too much. I know I do.

In reality it's up to our own experience and the sincerity of our hearts. Is there anything else to go on? I sit everyday, I recite the nembutsu and I'm grateful for it. That's all.

Gassho

Sat Today

Jundo
02-12-2016, 06:01 PM
So well spoken, Byrne. Thank you.

All in this universe are connected, a place in the sun for all. Banker or bus driver, priest conducting funerals or leading Zazen, grasses and trees, sun and moon ... all have their place. Even the black hat villains may play a role.

Thank you for the reminder.

Funerals are important, indispensable, as they play a vital role in easing peoples' suffering and bonding families together. Temples are the glue that hold community together at such times. If there is any "problem" in Japan, it is merely that things may be out of balance ... Zazen almost forgotten such that the general public associates Buddhism almost exclusively with funerals. That is a shame, and much of the power and beauty of this Way is lost to people because it is so.

Gassho, Jundo

Risho
02-12-2016, 07:28 PM
Thank you Byrne. Very eloquently stated. gassho2

Gassho,

Risho
-sattoday