PDA

View Full Version : Sat today

Peter Rowe
07-02-2015, 04:08 PM
Sometimes, even generally, I don't have anything to say. Anyhow, I feel the need to indicate that I am keeping up with my sitting, without necessarily participating in other discussions. I don't know how to do this, this is why I'm starting this thread (on the other hand I would like to partcipate in the "book club" but I am already reading another book about zen called "Zen Confidential: Confessions of a Wayward Monk" By Shozen Jack Haubner...) I hope that this is not "twisting" zendo etiquette...Sincerely Peter. gassho1

Jundo
07-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Hi Peter,

Silence is valued in the Zen World, if the kind of silence which speaks Wisdom. So, just keep sitting and all is good! :encouragement:

We have had a couple of threads from time to time in which people said ... silence ... so this is not the first.

Gassho, Jundo

PS - I read that Jack Haubner book a couple of years ago, and remember him as very confused guy. He was a student of Sasaki Roshi, the Rinzai teacher who was known for fondling female students, and Haubner describes his own wild drug use and some other thing while a monk. Don't remember much more, but it left me with the impression of a fellow who was very confused.

PPS - I found my original review after I read the book ...

Hmmm. I felt the book was by a sometimes very confused individual with a tendency to abuse alcohol and narcotics, not helped along by a teacher (Sasaki Joshu, the infamous sexual molester and convicted embezzler) who runs a very questionable group.

I would not recommend this book at all, except as an example of what can go wrong in a Zen group that borders on a cult run by a teacher of great charisma, and a bit of insight, but ultimately a charlatan and manipulator of people responsible for much damage.

I would not recommend the book except as an example of a Zen car crash. The book's emphasis on drugs and excess has been described as "Hunter S. Thompson meets the Dharma". The second Zen teacher he describes (could it even be a true story?), going from the Zafu to the crystal meth pipe and back, is but one example. I found it a very sad story of a fellow who, despite all the abuse and excess, somehow manages to keep his head above water and get something out of his practice in a very unhealthy situation. The fellow's attempt to put a happy face on the tale seems to me an attempt by someone in that group to wallpaper over the scandal and tragedy that has come out about Rev. Sasaki and the group that the author is dedicated to.

Gassho, Jundo

Peter Rowe
07-02-2015, 05:57 PM
After about hour of crap French TV, I went back to my cushion. I found it was the best thing I could do....

Peter Rowe
07-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Dear Jundo, Thank you for your information and your review of the Haubner book. Although I find it entertaining at times (he even made me laugh out loud once or twice-no mean feat.), I think I'll stop reading it. I don't want his confusion to "rub off" on me. I have had enough trouble with books confusing me-I'll check out your book recommendations and try something else (I just finshed a collection of Kodo Sawaki's "essays" which I found excellent (The Zen Teaching of Homeless Kodo...)
Sincerely Peter. Sat.

Kyonin
07-02-2015, 09:23 PM
Hi Peter,

Sometimes the noise comes from deep inside us. That's the more reason to just go sit and watch it all drift.

Oh yes, TV sucks. Unless it's Star Trek, of course. And Sponge Bob.

Gassho,

Kyonin
#SatToday

alan.r
07-02-2015, 09:51 PM
Hi Peter,

I often feel the same way and wonder if I should be posting more on Treeleaf (I actively try to limit internet activity, as well, so there's that also). In any case, I think it's okay to be quiet. It's nice to be quiet. Just keep sitting like you already are. Personally, I like read others thoughts about sitting or watch a talk about zen and then sit with those things.

Okay, that's all - just another quiet person checking in.

Gassho,
Alan
sattoday

Getchi
07-02-2015, 10:07 PM
I probably talk to muc to be considered quiet, but ill sit in silence with you my friends.

Any time you sit with the recordings, you sit with all who do as well. You'll not be alone :)

Gassho,
Geoff.

Sat2day.

Jundo
07-03-2015, 02:50 AM
Hi Peter,

I often feel the same way and wonder if I should be posting more on Treeleaf (I actively try to limit internet activity, as well, so there's that also). In any case, I think it's okay to be quiet. It's nice to be quiet. Just keep sitting like you already are. Personally, I like read others thoughts about sitting or watch a talk about zen and then sit with those things.

Gassho,
Alan
sattoday

Ya know, with folks like you, Alan, and many others ... I know you are there, feel your presence in the community, even if you just stop in once in awhile for a "Hi" and a wave, maybe a brief update. Lots of folks like that.

In fact, often it is the "chattering classes" (to borrow a Britishism :p ) that can be more of a concern ... especially if it is too much talkin', not enough silence and sittin'. [monk]

All things in balance and moderation, but for some folks ... less is more, and silence speaks with a Buddha's Tongue!

Gassho, J

SatToday

Jinyo
07-03-2015, 09:04 AM
Hi Peter,

Gassho,
Alan
sattoday

Hello Alan,

I'm also in a quiet space just now - but maybe it is nice if we pop in for a wave from time to time. There are some old familiar faces I miss and I often wonder if these members are still around.

Anyways [wave]

Gassho

Willow

sat today

Ekai
07-03-2015, 01:54 PM
I am on the computer all day at work since I am a graphic designer. So it is refreshing whenever I unplug without any tv or Internet. Even if it is just for a little while. Things may not be silent because of my active son, but it's silent enough to enjoy hearing him play. I think that is good practice too.

Gassho,
Ekai

sattoday

Kaishin
07-03-2015, 02:02 PM
Hi Peter, sometimes if there is a thread that speaks to me or I find interesting, but I have nothing of substance to add, I'll just give a quick "thank you" or gassho. So that way you can be visibly present and show support without worrying about what to say.

Peter Rowe
07-03-2015, 05:12 PM
Thank you everybody for taking the time to post. Sat today.

alan.r
07-04-2015, 02:16 PM
Ya know, with folks like you, Alan, and many others ... I know you are there, feel your presence in the community, even if you just stop in once in awhile for a "Hi" and a wave, maybe a brief update. Lots of folks like that.

In fact, often it is the "chattering classes" (to borrow a Britishism :p ) that can be more of a concern ... especially if it is too much talkin', not enough silence and sittin'. [monk]

All things in balance and moderation, but for some folks ... less is more, and silence speaks with a Buddha's Tongue!

Gassho, J

SatToday

Thank you, Jundo. I'm glad to know that. And my sometimes-quietness doesn't make Treeleaf any less the backbone of my practice and sitting.

Hi Willow.[wave]! You're right - it is nice to pop in and say hello. That's definitely something I'll keep in mind.

Gassho,
Alan
sattoday

Peter Rowe
07-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Sat today.

Koushi
07-05-2015, 12:17 AM
I'm of the mind that if I have nothing to contribute, silence, or "Thank you," will suffice.

I work ten hours a day online, it's nice to unplug and sit, as stated before. When we sit, we sit together.

Thank you.

Gassho,

Jesse | SatToday

Peter Rowe
07-05-2015, 10:08 AM
Sat today

Peter Rowe
07-06-2015, 04:00 PM
Sat.

Joyo
07-07-2015, 08:16 PM
This is a great thread. Thank you everyone who has shared.

Gassho,
Joyo
sat today

Jakugan
07-07-2015, 09:53 PM
Another quiet person sat today.

gassho.

Simon

Matt
07-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Hi Peter and others,

Thanks for bringing this up. I have had the same question as well.

I do sit every day and do the Zazenkais every week (almost) without fail.

I read through the threads weekly and respond when I feel I have something to offer, though sometimes weeks go by where I don't post anything. Even so, I feel a deep connection to the folks here and am truly grateful for this sangha.

Gassho,
Matt
#SatToday

Ongen
07-13-2015, 02:18 PM
Gassho,

Ongen / Vincent
Sat Today