PDA

View Full Version : Time for Yugen's Sunday Zazenkai

Yugen
06-16-2015, 02:17 AM
I have consulted with Jundo and received his permission to offer a weekly Zazenkai in addition to our normal Friday night/Saturday morning one. We'd like to offer it at a different time so it is accessible to those who may have difficulty attending the present time slot.

I'm thinking early Sunday morning US time which would be afternoon in Europe as one possibility. During the week will be more challenging due to my work schedule, but I'm open to suggestions.

Ideas? Feedback?

Deep bows
Yugen

Joyo
06-16-2015, 02:20 AM
Early Sunday morning would work well for me. I'm usually up at 6 or 6:30 CST.

Gassho,
Joyo
sat today

Kyotai
06-16-2015, 02:30 AM
I would certainly appreciate an alternate zazenkai time slot as Friday nights never work for me.

Gassho, Kyotai
Sat today :)

Jika
06-16-2015, 05:01 AM
What can I say?

Brilliant!

Gassho,
Danny
#sattoday

Kyonin
06-16-2015, 08:40 AM
Hi Yugen,

That would work nicely for people who can't attend on Fridays. Count me in either for attending or hosting :)

Gassho,

Kyonin
#SatToday

Myosha
06-16-2015, 10:24 AM
Hello,

The more, the merrier!

Gassho
Myosha sat today

Getchi
06-16-2015, 11:23 AM
I think that would be around 10pm-midnight here in Australia, It would work out well for me, hope I can attend it regularly live!

Mp
06-16-2015, 12:53 PM
Hello Yugen,

This is a wonderful idea ... Fridays work well for me, but if I can, I will be there to support you and the Sangha. =)

Gassho
Shingen

#sattoday

Ekai
06-16-2015, 01:07 PM
Early Sunday morning works for me as well.

Gassho,
Ekai
sattoday

Shugen
06-16-2015, 02:53 PM
Yes!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adrianbkelly
06-16-2015, 03:06 PM
Hi Yugen,
I usually sit the Zazenkai on Sunday mornings (UK time), but it would be great to have the chance to sit live in the afternoon. I might not be able to make it every week, but it would be much easier than the current time!

_/\_
Ade

Sat today

Dosho
06-16-2015, 08:47 PM
Yugen,

A great idea! Please let me know if I can support the effort in any way!

Gassho,
Dosho

Sat today

Troy
06-17-2015, 12:06 AM
I would certainly appreciate an alternate zazenkai time slot as Friday nights never work for me.

Gassho, Kyotai
Sat today :)

+1

The best time for me would be somewhere around 7:30am CST on Sunday.

合掌
..sat2day•

Kyotai
06-17-2015, 04:53 PM
Yes, early would be good. 0600 CST (0700 EST would be fine). 0600 EST would be best, but whatever works.

Thanks Yugen

Gassho, Kyotai
Sat today

Jundo
06-19-2015, 03:11 AM
I moved this thread into the Zazen Forum so more people will see it.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Josan
06-19-2015, 03:43 PM
Sunday would be great.
Gassho,
David
sattoday

Risho
06-19-2015, 04:30 PM
Sunday would be great - as others have expressed; I just can't make friday nights.

Gassho,

Risho
-sattoday

Yugen
06-19-2015, 05:51 PM
It looks like Sunday morning it is! I will plan to start in July; I have a few weekends coming up where I will be away and out of coomunication. I will post a schedule here shortly. I'm looking forward to practicing with you! We will be replicating the Friday night/Saturday morning schedule - a ninety-minute zazenkai.

Deep bows
Yugen

Jika
06-19-2015, 06:53 PM
:encouragement:
gassho1gassho1gassho1

Gassho,
Danny
#sattoday

Kyonin
06-20-2015, 03:37 PM
Awesome! Thanks Yugen!

Gassho,

Kyonin
#SatToday

Memo
06-22-2015, 11:05 AM
That's great!

Sunday works for me!

sat today!

Gassho, Girai

adrianbkelly
06-22-2015, 02:34 PM
Great, thank you! I'll do my best to be there live when I can!

_/\_
Ade

Sat today

Roland
06-22-2015, 03:15 PM
Yes, this is a great idea. Of course, one can always participate afterwards using the recording, but being able to 'be there' in real time adds another dimension.

Gassho
Roland
#SatToday

Dylan
06-22-2015, 05:03 PM
Hello! Sunday Mornings would be much better for me! Ney York Time here. Many thanks!

Gassho, Dylan, Sat Today

Doshin
06-25-2015, 02:56 AM
A nice alternative and/or additional sit. Thank you.

Randy, Sat Today

Talib
06-30-2015, 02:04 PM
Early Sunday is a good time.
Gassho

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

Hotetsu
07-01-2015, 07:36 PM
Sunday morning would be wonderful!

Gassho

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Heisoku
07-01-2015, 09:51 PM
This is good news. I haven't sat live since the zazenkai was moved from Saturday afternoon UK time ...and Sunday is good for me also.
Thank you Yugen
Gassho
Heisoku
Sat today

Yugen
07-02-2015, 02:02 AM
Greetings all,

Sunday morning zazenkai will start on July 19 at 830 AM Eastern time US (UTC -5). We will follow the same program and schedule as the present Friday night/Saturday morning zazenkai. Invites will go out on G+ just as with the present zazenkai. I'm looking forward to practicing together!

Deep bows
Yugen

Kyotai
07-02-2015, 05:40 AM
Thank you Yugen.

Gassho, Kyotai
Sat today

Jika
07-02-2015, 07:38 AM
Thank you, Yugen.
I won't be able to attend the historical first ceremony, as I will be on vacation without wifi then.
But I hope there will be many more and I really look forward to them.

Deep bows.
Danny
#sattoday

Hotetsu
07-02-2015, 01:50 PM
I will most definitely be there. Thank you, Yugen.

Gassho

#SatToday

Meishin
07-02-2015, 03:55 PM
Thank you, Yugen. I will not be able to sit "live" every week, but many I will. Since i was never free for the other one, this is welcomed.

On a different subject, I'd appreciate instruction on protocol for zazenkai, as well as others sits. As well as the nuances of using G+. (Last time I sat live I had assumed my mic needed to be off so I turned it off. But when I tried to turn it back on to say hello at the end of the session, I accidentally exited instead.)

In the time I've been with Treeleaf, I've noticed variation in how things are done (some sitting groups gassho during the three bells that are rung prior to a zazen session; some do not). I noticed there's a lot of variation in bowing among participants. In other sanghas, there was instruction so we were on the same page. There may be a forum thread I haven't discovered, but perhaps other beginners are in the same quandary as I. I realize i could PM a priest, but if I'm confused about this, maybe others are too.

Excuse me for hijacking this thread. But a new zazenkai time might be a good occasion for a training session (or video). If it already exists, a link would be appreciated.

Gassho
Meishin
sat today

Jundo
07-02-2015, 04:37 PM
Hi Meishin,

In fact, Yugen is going to get a script to me this week for a film we are making that is going to hammer down all the "how to" and "when to" in the Zendo. Stay tuned.

Yugen, is it about ready?

Gassho, Jundo

Meishin
07-02-2015, 05:00 PM
Thanks Jundo and Yugen!

Gassho
Meishin
sat today

Yugen
07-02-2015, 05:02 PM
Yes, I'd like to have this film available before we start the new zazenkai schedule. I apologize to all for my delay in getting this finished - I've been down and on a reduced schedule the last two weeks with a nasty respiratory virus.

Jundo, I will have the script finished this weekend. After you review perhaps we can film late next week.

Deep bows
Yugen

sat2day

Troy
07-02-2015, 10:02 PM
Thank you Yugen for making this new Zazenkai time available. I look forward to sitting live with everyone.

Rick
07-03-2015, 07:02 PM
Wonderful!

Rick
Sat today

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Dosho
07-03-2015, 07:18 PM
Meishin,

Aside from Yugen's weekly zazenkai which will indeed have a "script," what is it that troubles you about the variations among sitting groups?

Figuring out how to roll with such things was a huge part of my practice when I first came to Treeleaf. I wouldn't trade in that confusion for anything! :)

Gassho,
Dosho

Sat today

Thank you, Yugen. I will not be able to sit "live" every week, but many I will. Since i was never free for the other one, this is welcomed.

On a different subject, I'd appreciate instruction on protocol for zazenkai, as well as others sits. As well as the nuances of using G+. (Last time I sat live I had assumed my mic needed to be off so I turned it off. But when I tried to turn it back on to say hello at the end of the session, I accidentally exited instead.)

In the time I've been with Treeleaf, I've noticed variation in how things are done (some sitting groups gassho during the three bells that are rung prior to a zazen session; some do not). I noticed there's a lot of variation in bowing among participants. In other sanghas, there was instruction so we were on the same page. There may be a forum thread I haven't discovered, but perhaps other beginners are in the same quandary as I. I realize i could PM a priest, but if I'm confused about this, maybe others are too.

Excuse me for hijacking this thread. But a new zazenkai time might be a good occasion for a training session (or video). If it already exists, a link would be appreciated.

Gassho
Meishin
sat today

Jundo
07-04-2015, 03:27 AM
Meishin,

Aside from Yugen's weekly zazenkai which will indeed have a "script," what is it that troubles you about the variations among sitting groups?

Figuring out how to roll with such things was a huge part of my practice when I first came to Treeleaf. I wouldn't trade in that confusion for anything! :)

Gassho,
Dosho

Sat today

Oh, this is so true! When in Rome, bow as the Romans bow! Flow with the differences.

Even here in Japan, I have yet to go to two Zazenkai in monasteries or temples where everything is done just the same ... and things will even sometimes change week to week depending on who is in charge ... yet each one will tell you that they are following "the Tradition"! [monk]

Gassho, J

SatToday

Meishin
07-05-2015, 12:57 AM
Sorry for mentioning my concern.

Gassho
Meishin
sat today

Joyo
07-05-2015, 02:28 AM
Hi Meishin,

In fact, Yugen is going to get a script to me this week for a film we are making that is going to hammer down all the "how to" and "when to" in the Zendo. Stay tuned.

Yugen, is it about ready?

Gassho, Jundo

This is great, would be a huge help. When practicing with everyone on g+ I always feel like there's a bit of a dance going on, and I do not know the dance very well so am fumbling along. :)

Gassho,
Joyo
sat today

Yugen
07-05-2015, 02:32 AM
Meishin,
Your concerns and questions are legitimate. Do not apologize. The reality is that zendo etiquette and customs vary from zendo to zendo and lineage as well. Even in the same lineage or organization different teachers may have their own customs and variations.

Any guide we provide is not a "script" to be followed rigidly, but rather an introduction to customary etiquette and behavior in the zendo.

Knowing how and when to bow, or how to step in kinhin is not an inflexible order of practice but rather a guide which enables us to share in the richness of our tradition together - the last thing we want to do is give the impression of or produce rigidity in practice. While zen certainly has richness of tradition (and often inflexibility in monastic environments) there is a balance to be found today in balancing tradition with modernity, ritual with spontaneity and joy in practice.

I used to find zen ritual to be stifling and questioned its relevance to practice. Now I find it liberating and a portal through which I can join the stream of practitioners in the present, past, and future. Just as in zazen we join the stream of practitioners, when bowing or working at the altar we join together time and space - all who have come before us, will follow us, and practice with us in the present. It is a remarkable act of engaging .....

Do not apologize. Indeed, I am grateful for your question - it allows me to assemble my thoughts regarding the relevance of ritual to my own practice.

Deep bows
Yugen

sat2day

Meishin
07-05-2015, 03:22 AM
Thank you, Yugen

Gassho
Meishin
sat today

Dosho
07-05-2015, 04:19 PM
Meishin,

Yugen expresses this better than I, but he is quite correct when he said there is no need to apologize. I was just trying to give you a nudge to see if it was simply a matter of knowing protocol or if your pesky self was trying to alleviate discomfort at not knowing what to do.

For myself, my mind is always trying to fill the empty space, whether it be simple conversations or performing rituals. For quite a time the tea party and dokusan were absolute agony. But had I not chosen to face this issue and instead looked for a ritual to "save me" I most certainly would have missed a wonderful opportunity for practice. Now, don't get me wrong, the fear I speak of is still there! However, I am now better able to let it wash over me without believing that I shall surely drown.

Please always take my questions literally...I really wanted to know what concerned you. But if I gave you the impression that you should not have raised your concern, then it is I that should apologize.

Thank you for your practice.

Gassho,
Dosho

Sat today

Sorry for mentioning my concern.

Gassho
Meishin
sat today

Meishin
07-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Dosho,

It was simply a matter of wanting to know protocol. There's really not much discomfort in this setting. But I have been in sesshins outside of Treeleaf where there was indeed discomfort when chastised by a teacher or senior practitioner for a misstep. (Like the time I did not properly line up my sandals outside the Zendo.)

No problem :)

Gassho
Meishin
sat today

Ongen
07-06-2015, 10:41 AM
Weekends area always difficult for me, but sunday afternoon will make it much more likely for me to be able to attend, and I will if I can! I would appreciate that very much!
Gassho,

Ongen / Vincent
Sat Today

Washin
07-14-2015, 03:20 PM
Thank you, Yugen.
The additional Zazenkai time slot on Sundays would be great..
Gassho,
Sergey
sattoday

Byokan
07-14-2015, 04:20 PM
Thank you Yugen, this is so cool. gassho1

Gassho
Lisa
sat today

Kyonin
07-14-2015, 09:57 PM
Thank you for doing this Yugen.

Gassho,

Kyonin
#SatToday

Yugen
07-17-2015, 03:33 AM
JUNDO NOTE: PLEASE READ FROM THE END OF THIS THREAD, NOT THE START, AS THE TIME HAS BEEN RE-ADJUSTED SINCE IT BEGAN. ALSO, THIS THREAD IS ABOUT A ZAZENKAI ON SUNDAY GUIDED BY YUGEN, NOT THE TREELEAF FRIDAY-SATURDAY ZAZENKAI.

Hello Everyone,
I just wanted to update the start date for the Sunday zazenkai: we will start on July 26 instead of July 19 at 8:30 AM Eastern time US (GMT -5). I will send out G+ invites on Friday the 24th. Shingen will be serving as Ino/Doan - I hope you can practice with us. The format will be identical to the Zazenkai which Jundo leads on Friday night/Saturday morning.

Deep bows
Yugen

Kyotai
07-17-2015, 03:40 AM
Thank you Yugen

Looking forward to it.

Gassho, Kyotai
Sat today

Hotetsu
07-17-2015, 11:10 AM
Thanks Yugen. I'll be there.

Gassho

#SatToday

Anshu Bryson
07-23-2015, 09:06 PM
Hello Everyone,
I just wanted to update the start date for the Sunday zazenkai: we will start on July 26 instead of July 19 at 8:30 AM Eastern time US (GMT -5). I will send out G+ invites on Friday the 24th. Shingen will be serving as Ino/Doan - I hope you can practice with us. The format will be identical to the Zazenkai which Jundo leads on Friday night/Saturday morning.

Deep bows
Yugen

I missed this message while I was away! Looking forward to it!

Gassho,
Anshu

-sat today-

Yugen
07-25-2015, 01:41 PM
Hello all,
We are on for our zazenkai tomorrow (Sunday) at 830AM Eastern time (GMT -5). I will set up the G+ hangout and send out invites later today when I'm back from work.

Deep bows
Yugen

sat2day

Troy
07-26-2015, 12:56 AM
Looking forward to it :)

..sat2day•合掌

Troy
07-26-2015, 02:12 PM
Thank you Yugen and Shingen for your service. Thank you everyone for the sit :)

..sat2day•合掌

Jika
07-26-2015, 02:17 PM
Thank you Yugen and Shingen and all who sat.
Sorry for being my usual hour late - I calculated my daylight saving time against GMT-5...

Does Maine have more than one time zone, or would it be all right if I fed worldtimebuddy any coastal town to have appropriate EST/EDT?
Thank you.

Gassho,
Danny
#satjustthis

Mp
07-26-2015, 02:18 PM
Thank you Yugen and to all ... was wonderful to sit and practice with you this morning. Enjoy the rest of your day. =)

Gassho
Shingen

#sattoday

Yugen
07-26-2015, 02:47 PM
Danny,
Maine has one time zone. You can set your world time calculator by Portland, Maine, Boston MA or New York City

The error was mine. We are GMT -4 right now.

Deep bows
Yugen

sat2day

Jika
07-26-2015, 03:07 PM
Thank you, Yugen.
They are not that tiny after all, those time zones... :)

Gassho,
Danny
#sattoday

Byokan
07-26-2015, 05:11 PM
Hi Yugen,

was it recorded, and if so, can we have a link here?

Thank you,
Gassho
Lisa
sat today

Kyotai
07-26-2015, 05:29 PM
Apologies, I did not get home in time to participate.

Gassho, kyotai

Yugen
07-26-2015, 09:55 PM
No worries Kyotai, see you soon.

Gassho
Yugen

sat2day

broahes
07-28-2015, 04:45 PM
Hello Everyone,

Deep bows
Yugen

Thank you Yugen. The Friday schedule for me is always changing. Sunday mornings are a great time for me. I look forward to practicing with all of you.

Gassho,
Brooks sat today.

Dojin
07-30-2015, 08:14 PM
since i am the only one in Israel as far as i know. and we are GMT +2 here. in israel sunday is not a day off but saturday. so sundays dont work for me. even though i am not sure about any day since i work 6 shifts a week. and some times double shifts of 16 hours.
but if someone would like to try and organize something on closer to my time i would be happy to join in sometimes

Gassho, Dojin (Sat today).

Jika
07-31-2015, 06:23 AM
Shalom, Dojin,

I am currently UTC+2 (UTC+1+daylight saving), and you seem to have IST+daylight saving, so you are UTC/GMT+3, one hour ahead of me.

But we are not that far away after all :)

I sit on G+ on Thursday evenings 20:30 till 21:00 my time zone, that would be 21:30 till 22:00 (9:30pm till 10pm) IDT.
Maybe this is too late, or is not possible for you, but I would be really happy if you joined our small group sometimes!

Gassho,
Danny
#sattoday

PS: I hope both of your boys are in good health now.

Yugen
08-01-2015, 06:33 PM
Hello all,
We will not be having a Sunday zazenkai tomorrow (8/2) as it is the first Sunday of the month and this is the time when the Treeleaf Priest's Meeting takes place. Our zazenkai will return next week in the same time slot.

What I would like to do once we are in a rhythm is to ask for a (serious) volunteer to lead our practice (zazen and kinhin) the first Sunday of every month in my place. In this way we don't miss a Sunday - the only difference being the first Sunday of the month is zazen and kinhin without a service.

If you are interested in helping out please send me a PM.

See you all next Sunday.

Deep bows
Yugen

sat2day

Byokan
08-01-2015, 08:46 PM
Thank you Yugen gassho1

Are there any plans to record these sits for later one-way sitting?

Gassho
Lisa
sat today

Yugen
08-01-2015, 10:17 PM
Lisa,
As of this time I ha e chosen not to record these zazenkai as the one led by Jundo every week is the primary Sangha activity and we'd like the focus to be on that - it is available for participation any time. My zazen practice is like birds flying across the sky - they leave no trace......! I'd like the emphasis to be upon our teacher as leader of the Sangha.

Deep bows
Yugen

sat2day

Jundo
08-02-2015, 01:44 AM
Lisa,
As of this time I ha e chosen not to record these zazenkai as the one led by Jundo every week is the primary Sangha activity and we'd like the focus to be on that - it is available for participation any time. My zazen practice is like birds flying across the sky - they leave no trace......! I'd like the emphasis to be upon our teacher as leader of the Sangha.

Deep bows
Yugen

sat2day

Well, we are all Leaders of this Sangha. gassho1

These Zazenkai at various times are wonderful for folks who wish to sit live to suit various time zones. But if folks are open to sitting with the recording, they should join our Treeleaf Zazenkai each week.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?59-WEEKLY-FRIDAY-SATURDAY-ZAZENKAI-NETCASTS

Gassho, J

SatToday

Byokan
08-02-2015, 02:27 AM
My zazen practice is like birds flying across the sky - they leave no trace......!

O Yugen,

"Thou hast vanished from my reach
leaving an impalpable touch in the blue of the sky,
an invisible image in the wind, moving among the shadows."

-Rabindranath Tagore

Gassho
Lisa
sat today

Ishin
08-08-2015, 01:05 PM
I am interested in attending, please add me and thank you.

Gassho
Ishin
Sat Today

Yugen
08-08-2015, 01:47 PM
Hello all,
We will be resuming next Sunday 16 August - I will be attending a family gathering tomorrow and away for the day. See you then! I anticipate a steady and clear schedule from then on through the fall season. Thanks for your patience.

Deep bows
Yugen

sat2day

Jika
08-08-2015, 05:19 PM
Enjoy the time with the family, Yugen!

I won't be there on 16th, will be visiting friends and their very energetic kids - looking very forward to it [morehappy].

Gassho,
Danny
#sattoday

Kyotai
08-16-2015, 12:33 PM
I am not seeing the event for this sit on G+

Gassho, Kyotai
Sat today

Yugen
08-18-2015, 02:45 AM
Hi Kyotai,
This event has not restarted due to my work schedule, which has been increased. I will work hard to resume at the stated time as soon as possible.

Deep bows
Yugen

sat2day

Kyotai
08-18-2015, 03:24 AM
Hi Kyotai,
This event has not restarted due to my work schedule, which has been increased. I will work hard to resume at the stated time as soon as possible.

Deep bows
Yugen

sat2day
No problem Yugen :)

Thank you.

Gassho, kyotai
Sat today

Washin
09-15-2015, 05:57 AM
Hello all,
We will be resuming next Sunday 16 August - I will be attending a family gathering tomorrow and away for the day. See you then! I anticipate a steady and clear schedule from then on through the fall season. Thanks for your patience.

Deep bows
Yugen

sat2day

Hello Yugen,

Will this new time slot for Sundays be avaiable during the now on-going Ango period?
Thank you.

Gassho,
Sergey
sattoday

Daijo
09-15-2015, 04:49 PM
I look forward to the alternate zazenkai schedule. Friday nights have always been for me, no bueno.

sat today,

daijo

Yugen
09-17-2015, 02:12 PM
OK Folks! Let's resume the Sunday zazenkai beginning this Sunday (9./20) and continue through Ango. I am adjusting the time to 7 AM Eastern U.S. Time, 11 AM UTC. I will send out invites on Friday. I hope to see you then!

Deep bows
Yugen

sat2day

Shugen
09-17-2015, 06:38 PM
Hello Yugen,

The new time will permit me to join you most Sundays. Let me know if you need an Ino/Doan.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Jika
09-17-2015, 10:02 PM
Understood.
Thank you very much for your effort, Yugen.

Gassho,
Danny
#sattoday

Yugen
09-18-2015, 01:18 AM
Hello Yugen,

The new time will permit me to join you most Sundays. Let me know if you need an Ino/Doan.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Shugen,
I'd be honored to have you join me. The next two weeks we are going to keep it simple. Robe verse, Heart Sutra, zazen, kinhin, zazen. Would you be willing to do the robe verse and heart sutra? We will go to a regular service in October. Ultimately we could trade the Doshi role back and forth if you like.

Deep bows
Yugen

sat2day

Kyotai
09-18-2015, 01:27 AM
I'll be at an event Sunday morning but will join for 15 minutes if I can. Thank you. The more opportunities to sit as a sangha, the better.

Gassho, Kyotai
Sat today

Doshin
09-18-2015, 02:42 AM
Thank you Yugen, if the Internet finds me I want to join.

Gassho,

Randy

Jundo
09-18-2015, 03:06 AM
Just a note that I changed the title of this thread, as some people were confused if we were changing the time for the Friday-Saturday Zazenkai.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Anshu Bryson
09-18-2015, 03:26 AM
OK Folks! Let's resume the Sunday zazenkai beginning this Sunday (9./20) and continue through Ango. I am adjusting the time to 7 AM Eastern U.S. Time, 11 AM UTC. I will send out invites on Friday. I hope to see you then!

Deep bows
Yugen

sat2day

Please count me in, Yugen.

Gassho,
Anshu

-sat today-

Shugen
09-18-2015, 02:18 PM
Shugen,
I'd be honored to have you join me. The next two weeks we are going to keep it simple. Robe verse, Heart Sutra, zazen, kinhin, zazen. Would you be willing to do the robe verse and heart sutra? We will go to a regular service in October. Ultimately we could trade the Doshi role back and forth if you like.

Deep bows
Yugen

sat2day

That sounds good. I'll see you around 6:45AM Sunday morning. (Robe verse in English or Japanese?)

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Jakuden
09-18-2015, 03:18 PM
Hello,
Will we automatically get an invitation to this if we are on Google +? Getting up for this sitting would help me follow up on my (painful) Ango commitment not to sleep in on Sunday mornings!

Gassho,
Sierra
SatToday

Ishin
09-18-2015, 03:36 PM
Thanks for doing this Yugen.
Gassho
Ishin
Sat Today

Washin
09-18-2015, 07:58 PM
Thank you, Yugen.
Gassho
Sergey
sat-today

Отправлено с моего Lenovo A680_ROW через Tapatalk

Yugen
09-18-2015, 11:14 PM
Hello,
Will we automatically get an invitation to this if we are on Google +? Getting up for this sitting would help me follow up on my (painful) Ango commitment not to sleep in on Sunday mornings!

Gassho,
Sierra
SatToday

If you are in the Treeleaf G+ community and receive invites to the Friday/Saturday zazenkai, then you are all set! If not, PM me your G+ user id and I will make sure you get an invite.

Deep bows
Yugen

sat2day

Jakuden
09-18-2015, 11:51 PM
If you are in the Treeleaf G+ community and receive invites to the Friday/Saturday zazenkai, then you are all set! If not, PM me your G+ user id and I will make sure you get an invite.

Deep bows
Yugen

sat2day

I am and I do, so I will likely see you there! I may have to leave early however, as it is looking like I probably will have to go to work to take care of a patient that morning. Thank you!

Gassho,
Sierra
SatToday

Yugen
09-18-2015, 11:53 PM
Sierra,
Looking forward to sitting with you.

Deep bows
Yugen

sat2day

Jakuden
09-20-2015, 12:34 PM
Wonderful, thank you Yugen and Shugen and everyone! It was great to sit with you all.

It seemed like my webcam was not working... it worked fine at the Teaparty, and I made sure it was not blocked or anything on the settings... anyone have any ideas why? I have rechecked everything and it is working fine on Skype also.

Gassho,
Sierra
SatToday

Jika
09-20-2015, 07:51 PM
Thank you all for this opportunity today.

Sierra, for me, the sound quality was very good, but all the images seemed kind of frozen.
Maybe many people using Hangouts at that time??

Gassho,
Danny
#sattoday

Jakuden
10-04-2015, 03:14 AM
It sounds like this event does not happen yet on the first Sunday of the month am I correct?

Gassho,
Sierra
SatToday

Yugen
10-04-2015, 05:37 AM
This event does now take place on the first Sunday of the month - 7 AM Eastern US time.

Deep bows
Yugen

sat2day

Jika
10-04-2015, 05:57 AM
Oh, interesting, thanks you for asking, Sierra, and thanks, Yugen, for the update!

I saw the invite, and decided just to stand by and see what happens...
(me nodding off is the most likeliest, but new day, new chance - maybe we can have some dog barks or other sounds, please gassho1)

CU,
Gassho,
Danny
#sattoday

Shugen
01-07-2016, 04:35 PM
Hello all,

I will temporarily be taking over the Sunday morning sit for Yugen due to his work schedule. We will begin the Sunday after Jukai (That is beginning October 17th, 7am until about 8:30am New York City time).

The format will be:
Robe Verse (English)
Heart Sutra (English)
Zazen for 30 Minutes
Kinhin for 10 Minutes
Zazen for 30 Minutes
Verse of Atonement
Four Vows

I look forward to sitting together!

Gassho,

Shugen

Washin
01-07-2016, 07:00 PM
Hello Shugen,

Thank you for the update. I'm in.
Looking forward to continue sitting together.

Gassho
Sergey
sattoday

Mp
01-07-2016, 07:05 PM
Thanks Shugen ... that is an early start, but if for some reason I didn't want to sleep, I will be there. =)

Gassho
Shingen

#sattoday

Doshin
01-07-2016, 07:15 PM
Shugen , Include me please. Like Shingen I will be there when I can awaken in time.

Gassho
Randy
sattoday

Kyotai
01-07-2016, 07:26 PM
Thank you. Please include me as well and perhaps I may be able to join now and again.

Gassho, Kyotai
Sat today

Shugen
01-07-2016, 11:01 PM
Thanks Shugen ... that is an early start, but if for some reason I didn't want to sleep, I will be there. =)

Gassho
Shingen

#sattoday

"Sleep is for sissies!"
The Buddha

[emoji6]

Mp
01-07-2016, 11:05 PM
"Sleep is for sissies!"
The Buddha

[emoji6]

Lol you got that right, but sleep keeps me so cute! [emoji85]

Gassho
Shingen

#sattoday

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Geika
01-17-2016, 05:56 AM
I have noticed that the sitter's schedule doesn't go beyond 2015. It would be really helpful to have a compact list or reference for all of the live sits that are conducted by the unsui. My work schedule is all over the place and I never seem to be able to catch a zazenkai, so I might start looking to the unsui sits for a little live time with the group. I think my unofficial New Years resolution is to be less shy about appearing on camera at Treeleaf. I think I came into the wrong generation-- most millennials don't think twice about taking pictures of themselves or appearing on live camera chats, but I seem to be really uneasy about it!

Gassho, sat today

Sekishi
01-17-2016, 06:28 AM
Hi Geika,

It looks like there is a bug in the calendar itself that isn't letting it progress beyond December 31, 2015. [emoji51]

I've made a note on my todo list for the coming week to look into it further.

Gassho,
Sekishi
#SatToday

Shugen
01-17-2016, 02:03 PM
Hello Geika,

I'll be hosting Yugen's Sunday Zazenkai for a while. They will be every Sunday Morning from 7:00am EST until around 8:30am EST. I think I'll continue to do them as an "Event" through the Treeleaf Community page. Let me know if you can't find them or can't join the Hangout.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Jika
01-17-2016, 05:15 PM
Geika,

I can relate. Treeleaf was my first contact with using a webcam (had to buy an external one); I had only used Skype once before to see a friend's baby son.

The good thing about Treeleaf is: when everyone is practicing, they won't be staring at you or your furniture.
And when you are sitting zazen, you will forget about being nervous.
So all is good.
And we are Sangha, so there's no need to be worried. At least that's how I feel now.

Today, during Shugen's Zazenkai, I was too busy getting my computer to work, then too busy hitting the "mute" button again and again, then too busy sitting - can't tell you very much about the other sitters, their cloths or room decoration.
We were together, that's all.

Hope to sit with you one day.

Shugen, thank you very much for hosting Zazenkai!

Gassho
Jika
#sattoday

Jakuden
01-17-2016, 05:25 PM
Agree Jika, Treeleaf sits are a good way to get over camera shyness since no one is focusing on anything except the sit. I am still a bit self-conscious of not having a quieter, less cluttered space in my house to sit but I am getting less so, since it doesn't seem to bother anyone.

Yes thank you Shugen, I like the Sunday morning sit, (who would have thought, I started doing it as an Ango resolution to get myself up early on Sunday morning!!) but used up most of my monthly data on the Jukai ceremony so have to wait a bit before I can sit live again... hope to join you all again soon.

Gassho,
Jakuden
SatToday

Washin
01-17-2016, 05:30 PM
Shugen, thank you very much for hosting Zazenkai!

Yes! And big thank you to everyone sitting too. As for me, I'm not always able to participate
live in the main Zazenkais which start on about 2 - 4 a.m. local time and being very grateful
for this possibility on Sundays..(I do like to sit both, however :encouragement: )

Gassho
Sergey
sat-today

Frank
01-17-2016, 06:02 PM
Thank you...I'm there !

Frank
Sat Today

Geika
01-22-2016, 07:44 PM
Thank you, everyone. In those times when I have managed a live sit or Skype session, I always think, "what was stopping me?"

Gassho, sat today

Shugen
03-10-2016, 10:42 PM
Hello all,

Daylight savings time starts this Sunday (the 13th of March) in the U.S.
The Sunday sit will begin an hour earlier for those not in North America.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Shokai
03-10-2016, 10:57 PM
"Sleep is for sissies!"

And old guys too [monk] but i'm going to be there this week!

gasshom Shokai

#sat

Mp
03-10-2016, 11:10 PM
Hello all,

Daylight savings time starts this Sunday (the 13th of March) in the U.S.
The Sunday sit will begin an hour earlier for those not in North America.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Oh yes, that is right ... spring ahead 1hr. =)

Gassho
Shingen

#sattoday

Jika
03-11-2016, 07:28 AM
Thank you, Shugen, I would not have noticed this.

I won't be there coming Sunday, invited to a late breakfast, can well last until noon...

See you all the week after that.

Gassho
Jika
#sattoday

Shugen
06-03-2016, 08:16 PM
In honor of the upcoming "BradZenkai", (http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?14475-Special-Zazenkai-SUNDAY-with-Bro-Brad-Warner-%28MAIN-PAGE%29) there will be no Sunday Sit this week. (June 5, 2016).

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Washin
06-04-2016, 03:10 AM
In honor of the upcoming "BradZenkai", (http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?14475-Special-Zazenkai-SUNDAY-with-Bro-Brad-Warner-%28MAIN-PAGE%29) there will be no Sunday Sit this week. (June 5, 2016).

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

gassho2

Jika
06-04-2016, 04:44 PM
Thank you, Shugen.

Gassho,
Jika
#sattoday

Shugen
06-19-2016, 01:05 PM
Hello all,

I changed up some things with my internet and was wondering if today's (June 19th) Sunday Sit invitations went out and if anyone tried to join but was unable to.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Mp
06-19-2016, 01:12 PM
Hello all,

I changed up some things with my internet and was wondering if today's (June 19th) Sunday Sit invitations went out and if anyone tried to join but was unable to.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

I didn't see anything go out there Shugen. =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Shugen
06-19-2016, 02:10 PM
Hi Shingen,

So no invitation and nothing in your "stream"?

Gassho

I didn't see anything go out there Shugen. =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Mp
06-19-2016, 02:15 PM
Hi Shingen,

So no invitation and nothing in your "stream"?

Gassho

Actually I do see something, but funny how it is not in line with the rest of the events. If I go under the events page it is put down there as "Past Events". This might be a Google thing, as we do know they do like there bugs. =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Jika
06-19-2016, 03:22 PM
Sorry, Shugen,

I received the invite and it looked as usual.
Intended to participate, but found myself in midst of a lengthy chat on the phone with a friend at 13:15...

Gassho
Jika
#sattodaybutmissedyou

Washin
08-09-2016, 03:29 AM
Hi all,

From August 11th till 16th I'll be on a trip and won't be able to sit with you
on Sunday the 14th. Wishing everyone a happy sitting gassho1

Gassho
Washin
just sat

Jika
08-09-2016, 04:36 AM
Safe travels, Washin.
I hope it's something nice you will be doing.

Shugen, I won't be there on 14th neither.
Invited to meet friends from different cities, so at 1pm (my time) I'll be with them or travelling too.

Gassho
Jika
#sattoday

Mp
08-09-2016, 05:20 AM
Washin and Jika ... have fun on your travels and visiting with friends. =)

Gassho
Shingen

s@today

Washin
08-09-2016, 08:24 AM
Thank you all. Jika, wish you have a great time with friends and be safe on the road.

Gassho
Washin
st

Shugen
08-09-2016, 05:43 PM
Thank you for letting me know. Safe travels to you and have a good visit.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Jakuden
08-09-2016, 10:22 PM
Yes, safe travels and have a good time Washin and Jika! [monk]

Gassho
Jakuden
SatToday

Washin
08-10-2016, 05:25 AM
Thank you Shugen, Jakuden gassho1

I hope it's something nice you will be doing.
Jika, I'll be visiting an old friend in Istanbul who's having hard times now..
Can't help much, but being present around is sometimes enough, I think.

Gassho
Washin
sat today