PDA

View Full Version : The Story of Dogen Zenji

Mp
04-19-2014, 05:18 AM
Hello everyone,

I came across this great little comic sharing the story of Dogen Zenji ... enjoy http://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/eng/library/comics/dogen/.

Gassho
Shingen

Jundo
04-19-2014, 09:47 AM
Thanks Shingen, it is a good read.

Readers should know that many of the events in the comic story are not really historical according to scholars. What happened is that, as the centuries passed, Dogen's biography was gradually embellished, and some legends were added, by various biographers and writers. This story then dramatizes it even more. Actually, much about his childhood, parentage and youth (which is the topic of these first chapters) remains almost completely unknown. He was certainly the son of a "second wife" or mistress of a powerful man in the Ancient capital of Kyoto, very bright and something of a prodigy in his literary talents, but lost both his mother and father early. Nobody knows exactly who the father was, but there are various scholarly suppositions. As was customary in the day, such children on the periphery of the nobility were shipped off to Buddhist temples to be raised and, eventually, to become priests. And so with Dogen. Other than that, little is known.

However, still a good tale.

A good time to point folks to the biopic movie too, available it seems on Youtube ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?6122-New-Master-Dogen-Movie&p=20686&viewfull=1#post20686

Gassho, Jundo

Kyonin
04-19-2014, 10:20 AM
Ooooh!! I love manga! And I like it even more if it's about Master Dogen. Thanks for the link!

Gassho,

Kyonin

Myosha
04-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Tons 'o fun!

Thank you Shingen.

Gassho,
Myosha

Mp
04-19-2014, 01:57 PM
What happened is that, as the centuries passed, Dogen's biography was gradually embellished, and some legends were added

Thank you for the clarification Jundo. =) It seems that most biographies of influential people are exaggerated ... maybe they will do that for us when we are gone. [claps]

Gassho
Shingen

John Cloud
04-19-2014, 02:04 PM
Thank you very much Shingen

Gassho