PDA

View Full Version : Oryoki Circle Seven: Dosho, Sekishi & Shingen break down the full ceremony

Myozan Kodo
03-03-2014, 08:49 AM
Hi all,
Here Dosho, Sekishi and Shingen break down the full ceremony. Note, there are some mistakes included (just like I always do!), so pay special attention to the film for Oryoki Circle Six, which is the closest to being fully right. That said, the guys make very few mistakes. So, well done to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8co_6eqSeM

Next week we will close the circle. It's been fun! :)

Gassho
Myozan

Mp
03-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Thank you Myozan ... I look forward to stumbling along. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Sekishi
03-03-2014, 03:48 PM
I will be there even if my voice shakes. [morehappy]

Gassho,
Sekishi

Myozan Kodo
03-09-2014, 09:48 AM
Looking forward to it.

Shingen,
I still have technical issues. Can you start the Hangout On Air this evening?

Gassho
Myozan

Mp
03-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Looking forward to it.

Shingen,
I still have technical issues. Can you start the Hangout On Air this evening?

Gassho
Myozan

Hello Myozan,

Not a problem, I will get it setup. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Myozan Kodo
03-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Great! Thanks bro.
Gassho
M

Myozan Kodo
03-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Dosho, Sekishi, Shingen,
A family matter has just come up (nothing serious) and I need to be somewhere else this evening. I'll have to skip out this evening, I'm afraid, and view the recording later. Sorry about that. I look forward to sharing this session with you at a later date. Please plough ahead with the plan. Have fun!

Gassho
Myozan

Mp
03-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Dosho, Sekishi, Shingen,
A family matter has just come up (nothing serious) and I need to be somewhere else this evening. I'll have to skip out this evening, I'm afraid, and view the recording later. Sorry about that. I look forward to sharing this session with you at a later date. Please plough ahead with the plan. Have fun!

Gassho
Myozan

Also sent this out in the PM ...

Hello Myozan,

Not a problem Myozan ... hope all is good with the family. We sailors will plot along without our caption and try not to crash the ship. =)

Gassho
Shingen

PS Sekishi ... your PM box is full. I guess that is what happens when one is popular! [claps]

Dosho
03-09-2014, 04:36 PM
Sekishi,

The Verse of Buddha Names comes right between opening the bowls and receiving the food. Do you have that covered or shall I do it? Either is fine by me.

See you and Shingen in a bit.

Gassho,
Dosho

Sekishi
03-09-2014, 04:54 PM
I am happy to struggle through the pronunciation if you want (particularly since I think I got off easiest of the three of us).

I won't even make you promise not to laugh. [scared]

Gassho,
Sekishi

Sekishi,

The Verse of Buddha Names comes right between opening the bowls and receiving the food. Do you have that covered or shall I do it? Either is fine by me.

See you and Shingen in a bit.

Gassho,
Dosho

Sekishi
03-09-2014, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the note. I see the forum started sending me emails about this today too.

Inbox maintenance complete. It is now full of emptiness. http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/images/smilies/happy.gif

Gassho,
Sekishi

PS Sekishi ... your PM box is full. I guess that is what happens when one is popular! [claps]

Mp
03-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the note. I see the forum started sending me emails about this today too.

Inbox maintenance complete. It is now full of emptiness. http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/images/smilies/happy.gif

Gassho,
Sekishi

Yaaahhh emptiness. [claps]

Gassho
Shingen

Myozan Kodo
03-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Hey guys,
Well done! Great work. Glad, too, to see you make mistakes on my behalf in my absence. I'd be so ashamed if you didn't mark mistakes!

Again, well done.

I could post some observations, if you want?

Gassho
Myozan

Mp
03-09-2014, 11:06 PM
Hey guys,
Well done! Great work. Glad, too, to see you make mistakes on my behalf in my absence. I'd be so ashamed if you didn't mark mistakes!

Again, well done.

I could post some observations, if you want?

Gassho
Myozan

Thank you Myozan ... and please, feedback is always good. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Dosho
03-10-2014, 01:31 AM
Absolutely Myozan. Observe and/or criticize away!

Gassho,
Dosho

Sekishi
03-10-2014, 01:45 AM
Sure thing Myozan!

Maybe we should also post any observations as a comment to the video on youtube (to avoid confusing people in the future).

Gassho,
Sekishi

Dosho
03-10-2014, 03:33 AM
Maybe we should also post any observations as a comment to the video on youtube (to avoid confusing people in the future).

Perhaps it would be best to consider the video we made today as a "student film". ;)

But, in all seriousness, I think people should watch one where Myozan leads us when preparing for the August retreat.

Gassho,
Dosho

Sekishi
03-10-2014, 03:44 AM
Agreed. Since people could still stumble across this one, maybe a simple disclaimer in the YouTube description is a good idea: "this is a student film, click here for a more accurate one".

Regardless, thank you Dosho and Shingen for your practice, to you Myozan for helping us along, to Jundo and Taigu for this opportunity, and to all the Buddhas and ancestors for pointing to the way.

Deep bows,
Sekishi

Mp
03-10-2014, 03:54 AM
Agreed. Since people could still stumble across this one, maybe a simple disclaimer in the YouTube description is a good idea: "this is a student film, click here for a more accurate one".

Regardless, thank you Dosho and Shingen for your practice, to you Myozan for helping us along, to Jundo and Taigu for this opportunity, and to all the Buddhas and ancestors for pointing to the way.

Deep bows,
Sekishi

If you need me to add something to the description,please let me know and I will add it. =)

And a big yes Sekishi ... Many thanks to Myozan for being there and giving up direction, Jundo and Taigu for these great opportunities ... to you and Dosho for being there step by step along the way. =)

Gassho
Shingen

Myozan Kodo
03-10-2014, 03:49 PM
Hi guys,
It'll be a few days before I get to give this the required time. So, I'll be back to you.
Gassho
Myozan

Myozan Kodo
03-14-2014, 10:35 AM
Hi guys,
Here are some observations from my inexperienced perspective:

Dosho.
5:57 Opening the Hattan. Not sure Hattan uis folded up correctly. Therefore not sure it opens correctly.
6:46 Setting out bowls. I think the smallest, 4th bowl should end up under the third bowl as a kind of stand.
8:15 Keep utensil holder in left hand to take out tools. It goes down on waterboard (opening to right) when done taking out tools.
8:31 Keep spoon bowl open, not closed
8:46: My understanding is that the setsu tip need to be closest to your body.

Sekishi.
12:37 Noit sure if this is important, but usually I see the ‘enough’ motion to servers made with the right hand, as the left holds the bowl out to be served.
20:24: Verse for rinsing water comes too early.

Shingen.
28:00 (ish) I think you dry the spoon on rabbit ear with the bowl of the spoon facing the ground. Also, I think as you dry the chopsticks the fatter part, the handles, are away from your body, with the bits that pick up the food closest to your body.
31:00 Yes. Water Chant now … that’s my understanding. After chant, water is collected. Hold bowl until all done.
34:04 You corrected your own mistake! Well done ;-)
36:45 Need a much more pronounced rabbit ear on right at end.

But just to make clear, you were all wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! Well done.

Jundo or Taigu might want to review this to see what they think on areas where there are variations or that are not always clear. In any case, we can iron out creases at the summer retreat.

We will have one more meeting ... just to close the circle and share our thoughts.

Deep bows to you all,
Myozan

Mp
03-14-2014, 02:53 PM
Thank you for your feedback Myozan ... always nice to have other eyes to see. =) Also, thank you for the wonderful opportunity to drive right in and give it a go, means a lot! =)

Gassho
Shingen

Dosho
03-14-2014, 04:53 PM
Dosho.
5:57 Opening the Hattan. Not sure Hattan is folded up correctly. Therefore not sure it opens correctly.

Do you mean that it is not folded correctly to start or that I open it incorrectly? The paper came folded and can only be undone one way, which I assumed to be correct! I will check it with the other videos. As for opening it incorrectly, I very well may have. Only important now because Sekishi wrote me yesterday asking how to do it properly! I shall look into it.

6:46 Setting out bowls. I think the smallest, 4th bowl should end up under the third bowl as a kind of stand.

I usually omit the stand altogether for this since it makes the buddha bowl rather "tippy"; but quite right.

8:15 Keep utensil holder in left hand to take out tools. It goes down on waterboard (opening to right) when done taking out tools.

Totally blew that one; must have been my nerves.

8:31 Keep spoon bowl open, not closed

Got it.

8:46: My understanding is that the setsu tip need to be closest to your body.

As I say on the video, I thought we kept it pointing out for collection of the offering. When does it get moved into that position?

Excellent feedback with things to work on. Thank you for this Myozan. It has been an honor to learn this practice with you.

Gassho,
Dosho

Myozan Kodo
03-14-2014, 07:35 PM
Hi Dosho,
Thanks for your post.

Regarding the Hattan: look at Jundo's video at the 11:00min mark for guidance. Look closely. He makes it very clear.

As for the setsu, I understand that it never gets turned. The hungry ghost offering goes at the end of the handle. It is placed with the handle away from you.

Hope this is accurate and of help.

Great to study this way with you all.

Gassho
Myozan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dosho
03-14-2014, 08:13 PM
Myozan,

I used the wrong hands to open the Hattan; very good eye for detail! I believe I have it now.

As for the setsu, yes it was backwards. I guess I was thinking not to put food on the handle where I have touched it, but the food will not be consumed by humans so it does not matter.

Thank you Myozan.

Gassho,
Dosho

Sekishi
03-15-2014, 05:00 PM
12:37 Noit sure if this is important, but usually I see the ‘enough’ motion to servers made with the right hand, as the left holds the bowl out to be served.

No, as a lefty, I am sure I did it right. [morehappy]

In all seriousness, thank you so much for your feedback, and for leading us in this practice.

Deep bows,
Sekishi