PDA

View Full Version : Our 2014 Treeleaf Jukai (Undertaking the Precepts) Celebration is Here!

Jundo
01-12-2014, 12:23 PM
The time has again arrived for our annual JUKAI CEREMONY at Treeleaf Sangha ... being held today, Sunday, January 12th at Midnight (Sunday-Monday) Japan time (that is New York 10am, Los Angeles 7am (Sunday morning), London 3pm and Paris 4pm (Sunday afternoon)). The ceremony will last about 1 hour, and will be visible from that time at the link below from shortly before such time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtNCSYt9-J8

Our 17 Preceptees come together simultaneously from 8 countries (from Sweden to Mexico to Slovenia) joining in this Jukai as one, after having spent several months preparing for this day, studying the Precepts, sewing a rakusu, weighing the place of the Buddhist Teachings in their life. As with everything at Treeleaf, all was accomplished fully online, and invite all our Sangha to the celebration. Taigu Turlur and Jundo Cohen are Preceptors.

Jukai literally means to receive or to undertake the Precepts. It is the ceremony both of one’s formally committing to the Buddhist Sangha and to the Practice of Zen Buddhism, and of one’s undertaking the “Sixteen Mahayana Bodhisattva Precepts” as guides for life. Traditionally for Jukai, one receives from a teacher the Rakusu, which represents the robe of the Buddha, the Kechimyaku, a written lineage chart connecting the recipient to the Buddhas and Ancestors of the past, and a “Dharma name” selected by the teacher and representing qualities of the recipient’s personality and practice.

My teacher, Nishijima Roshi, has written this:

When a Buddhist seeks to commence upon the study of Buddhism, there is first a ceremony which should be undertaken: It is called “Jukai,” the “Receipt of the Precepts,” the ceremony in which one receives and undertakes the Precepts as a disciple of the Buddha… Master Dogen specifically left us a chapter entitled ‘”Jukai,” in which it is strongly emphasized that, when the Buddhist believer first sets out to commence Buddhist practice… be it monk, be it lay person, no matter… the initial needed steps include the holding of the ceremony of Jukai and the undertaking of the Precepts… The rationale of all of the Buddhist Precepts, the Mahayana Boddhisattva Precepts ... is as a pointing toward the best ways for us to live in this life, in this real world… how to live benefiting both ourselves and others as best we can.

WELCOME!

Dosho
01-12-2014, 02:56 PM
Jundo,

The link you provided says I need an invitation to view the event.

Gassho,
Dosho

Mp
01-12-2014, 02:57 PM
I am seeing the same thing.

Gassho
Shingen

Koshin
01-12-2014, 02:57 PM
Same here :)

Gassho

Juki
01-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Me too.

Gassho,
William

Hans
01-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Hello Jundo,

same here. :)

I'm sure it'll be wonderful even if I shouldn't be able to watch it live. Deep bows to you all! I'll stay online anyhow.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Shinzan
01-12-2014, 03:01 PM
Ditto. But I'm here to support those receiving Jukai nonetheless. _/\_
Shinzan

Tb
01-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Hi.

Past start time, don't know if Jundo has seen this, anyhow, still here.

Mtfbwy
Fugen

Juki
01-12-2014, 03:06 PM
Does anyone know if the ceremony actually started? I never received an invitation and cannot see any of my fellow Jukai participants on G+

Gassho,
William

Mp
01-12-2014, 03:06 PM
Here is a live link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtNCSYt9-J8

Gassho
Shingen

Dosho
01-12-2014, 03:07 PM
We are here. gassho1

Gassho,
Dosho

Koshin
01-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Don't know either
Gassho

Hans
01-12-2014, 03:09 PM
Hello Shingen,

thank you for the live link!

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Dosho
01-12-2014, 03:09 PM
Shingen found a link! Check above!

Victor Chu
01-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Thank you Shingen. I wanted to witness such event.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Yugen
01-12-2014, 03:18 PM
Yes, the link works! It's awesome to see you all!

Deep bows

Taikyo
01-12-2014, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the link I too could not link in with the original link
Gassho
Taikyo

Shokai
01-12-2014, 03:41 PM
I'm getting an Arnold notification we'll be back"
Singer, can you work your magic again?

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk4

Shokai
01-12-2014, 03:42 PM
That's Singer btw

Shokai
01-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Sorry Shingen

Yugen
01-12-2014, 03:56 PM
G+ is bouncing me out repeatedly, but hanging in there!! Wonderful ceremony!!

Deep bows
Yugen

Dosho
01-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Congratulations my brothers and sisters in the dharma!

Nine bows to each of you!

I am so very content to have you all in my heart.

Gassho,
Dosho

Kyonin
01-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Congratulations to all!!

Thank you for giving me the honor to be part of your ceremony.

May our dharma adventures together bring kindness and smiles to the universe!

Much respect and bows,

Kyonin

Koshin
01-12-2014, 04:02 PM
What a heart warming ceremony...in gratitude, Deep Gassho to all new members of the Sangha...now, party on, in moderation :)

And thank you Shingen for providing the link [claps]

Gassho

Victor Chu
01-12-2014, 04:03 PM
What a beautiful ceremony. I was fortunate to witness it. Congratulations to all those who participated.

Gassho
Victor

Mp
Beautiful! Congratulations my brothers and sisters, I am so very happy and felt you all in my heart! =)

Deep bows
Shingen

Nindo
Thanks for the link Shingen! I missed most of it but was sitting zazen thinking of everybody. Came in just in time for the rakusu!

Congratulations to all! Wonderful!

Shokai
01-12-2014, 04:04 PM
Finally, I got the link back!
Thank you all. What a wonderful ceremony. Congratulations and welcome to the Jukai res today. I look forward to meeting you all under your new Dharma names.
Gassho, Shokai

Tb
01-12-2014, 04:06 PM
Hi.

Congrats everyone!

Mtfbwy
Fugen

Nindo
01-12-2014, 04:06 PM
Could we please get a list of all the names and who is who? 17 new names!!!

Kyotai
01-12-2014, 04:07 PM
Looking forward to watching the whole thing this evening.

Gassho

Shawn

Yugen
01-12-2014, 04:09 PM
Congratulations!!

Deep bows
Yugen

Kyotai
01-12-2014, 04:10 PM
Looking forward to watching the whole thing this evening.

Congrats to all the participants.

Gassho

Shawn

Daitetsu
01-12-2014, 04:11 PM
That was lovely - thank you all!

Gassho,

Daitetsu

Taikyo
01-12-2014, 04:14 PM
Congratulations all
Deep Bows
Taikyo

Juki
01-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Congratulations to all.
Gassho,
William

Dosho
01-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Yes, especially for those who have not received their envelopes from Jundo and don't even know yet themselves!

Could we please get a list of all the names and who is who? 17 new names!!!

Juki
01-12-2014, 04:20 PM
What happens if you were supposed to be in the ceremony, but did not receive an invitation. I followed on Shingen's link, but missed a large part.

Gassho,
William

Genshin
01-12-2014, 04:23 PM
Wonderful ceremony! Congratulations to fellow Jukai participants, and thank you to all for witnessing. Today was a a very special day.

Deep bows,
Genshin (MattW)

PS: Treena, thank you for being our spokesperson. You did an excellent job! Apologies, I know there was another, but did not catch the name - also thank you.

Mp
Hey William,

No one is left behind. =) You were there the whole time in our hearts, but if you felt you missed something, contact Jundo and he will go through it with you. =)

Gassho
Shingen

What happens if you were supposed to be in the ceremony, but did not receive an invitation. I followed on Shingen's link, but missed a large part.

Gassho,
William

Kokuu
William,

I missed large parts too due to my computer shutting down and have asked Jundo what to do. I know that one participant could not attend live and is sitting with the recording later.

Congratulations to everyone else and grateful thanks to Treena for being the spokesperson for my group.

Gassho
Andy

Myozan Kodo
01-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Lovely ceremony. Congrats to you all!
Gassho
Myozan

Kantai
01-12-2014, 04:28 PM
I also missed a large part of the ceremony due to bad internet connection or something.
Do I need to confirm the jukai afterwards?

Gassho
Edward

Myosha
01-12-2014, 04:29 PM
Hello,

Thanks to all.

Lost, then found, bandwith. Well worthwhile. Look forward to being a 'circler' next time.^^

Gassho,
Myosha

Jishin
01-12-2014, 04:32 PM
I think this is the link to the other folks receiving Jukai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4ruUQJSa0c#t=53

Gassho, John :)

Dosho
01-12-2014, 04:42 PM
As Jundo said during the ceremony, worry not William. You have already taken jukai in your heart, so there is nothing to "confirm". However, I am certain Jundo would be very content to go over the ceremony with you one on one.

Gassho,
Dosho

I also missed a large part of the ceremony due to bad internet connection or something.
Do I need to confirm the jukai afterwards?

Gassho
Edward

Seimyo
01-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Congratulations and deep-bows to new Jukai recipients and old!

If you would like to change your username to your dharma name, please PM with your new name and I'll get it changed. Please make sure you add your old username to your signature while we reassociate your new name. You will probably want to keep your avatar the same too for a while.

Again, very pleased to have new brothers and sisters.

Deep-Gassho,
Seimyo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Jundo
01-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Dear All,

I just rewatched the entire ceremony and, even with the signal dropping a few times, I am happy to report that all needed parts of the Ceremony are there! We did not miss any. If you had trouble to see or hear any section, or had trouble to get in, please rewatch the Ceremony to catch it. You can also confirm later with me in a short meeting if you wish. You were Present.

We did it! Made it once again! Welcome to all!

Nine Bows, Jundo

Genki
01-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Thank you, Jukaies, treeleaf, witnesses, Jundo, Taigu and all.

It was a lovely ceremony and it still is. I'm still thinking about all part of it and the puzzle will soon be done. Or not.
I think it's great that we, from all around the world was in Japan today to participate in this old ceremony.

I'm glad to be a part of this
Gassho
Björn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Kantai
01-12-2014, 05:41 PM
Thank you Jundo, Kyonin and the whole Sangha for a wonderful Jukai ceremony and congratulations to all fellow Jukaiees.

Gassho
Kantai (formerly and still known as Edward)

Juki
01-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Thanks to all. I am going to watch the recording now to make sure I did not miss anything. Congratulations to my fellow participants and deep bows to the witnesses, to Jundo and to Taigu.

Gassho,
Juki (formerly William)

Joyo
01-12-2014, 06:30 PM
William,

I missed large parts too due to my computer shutting down and have asked Jundo what to do. I know that one participant could not attend live and is sitting with the recording later.

Congratulations to everyone else and grateful thanks to Treena for being the spokesperson for my group.

Gassho
Andy

Andy, I hope you do not feel left out as i saw you much of the time and was definitely partaking of the ceremony with you. :)

Gassho,
Treena

Heisoku
01-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Congratulations to everyone receiving the Precepts. This is a very special time. Gassho Heisoku.

Joyo
01-12-2014, 06:33 PM
No words, just heartfelt warm thoughts to each of you!!! Jundo, thank you for asking me to be a spokesperson, I made mistakes but all was still good :)

Thank you everyone, much honor and respect to each of you!!!

Gassho,
Treena

Jiken
01-12-2014, 06:38 PM
Congratulations to all

Gassho,

Daido

Shugen
01-12-2014, 06:38 PM
Congratulations to all!

Deep Bows,

Shugen

Dosho
01-12-2014, 06:48 PM
And, just so you know Jundo, Treena is from Canada, not the U.S. ;)

No words, just heartfelt warm thoughts to each of you!!! Jundo, thank you for asking me to be a spokesperson, I made mistakes but all was still good :)

Thank you everyone, much honor and respect to each of you!!!

Gassho,
Treena

Joyo
01-12-2014, 06:50 PM

lol, yes that is true. No boundaries, no borders though, right :) And, in his defense, I only live a short ways from the border so he wasn't too far off :)

Gassho,
Treena/Joyo

jslinjr
01-12-2014, 07:10 PM
Congratulations to everybody who partook in the Jukai ceremony.

Gassho,
Jeff

Daijo
01-12-2014, 07:12 PM
Thank you everyone, it was a very nice ceremony,

Gassgo,

Chuck "DaiJo"

Jinyo
01-12-2014, 07:37 PM
Congratulations to all - looking forward to sharing in the recorded ceremony this evening.

Gassho

Willow

Anshu
01-12-2014, 08:21 PM
Hello,

Congratulations and welcome to community of the children of Buddha. I am glad to have been able be a witness of this beautiful and touching ceremony.

Gasshô
Anshu

MyoHo
01-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Thank you Jundo, Taigu and all of you sangha members for this wonderful ceremony. Now let us lead this life!

Deep bows

MyoHo ( presviously Enkyo)

Kokuu
01-12-2014, 09:13 PM
I just sat along with the recording to fill in the parts I missed. Now it properly feels like I have taken Jukai. A beautiful ceremony.

Thank you so much to all of you who were with us and all who were not.

Taking the precepts
hesitation falls away
with my greying hair.

Gassho
Andy/Kokuu

alan.r
01-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Taking the precepts
hesitation falls away
with my greying hair.

I like that poem, particularly apt.

Congratulations to all.

Best and gassho

Geika
01-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Congratulations to everyone. Thank you, everyone. I will be joining you all with the recorded version later. gassho1

Sekishi
01-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Thank you all. Deep bows you all of you.

Passing through this gate, a journey begins as children of Buddha. Wearing the Tathagata's teachings, may we manifest enlightenment in the world.

Gassho,
Eric "Sekishi"

Joyo
01-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Thank you all. Deep bows you all of you.

Passing through this gate, a journey begins as children of Buddha. Wearing the Tathagata's teachings, may we manifest enlightenment in the world.

Gassho,
Eric "Sekishi"

Yes, beautiful!!!

Gassho,
Treena/Joyo

Shokai
01-12-2014, 11:05 PM
Thank you everyone for sharing this beautiful ceremony. It is the sixth Treeleaf Jukai that I have witnessed and each has its special memories. It is very heart warming to see you enjoying you commitments. I look forward to sitting with you. [monk] :)

gassho gassho2 ,Shokai

Daitetsu
01-12-2014, 11:05 PM
Hi there,

I have just come back from a family birthday party - two reasons to celebrate today, what a happy coincidence!
Room still filled with scent from incense, Buddha and leaf still in front of me, memories still fresh.

I truly enjoyed the whole ceremony, time flew by, and it was so nice to be with you all. I felt as if we were really physically together in one room.
Thanks to the speakers, Jundo, Taigu, all the Unsui and all others who helped making the whole Jukai experience so unique and beautiful - and another deep bow goes to Seimyo for making the quick user name changes!

Thank you all and Gassho,

Timo/Daitetsu (formerly known as LimoLama)

Juki
01-12-2014, 11:28 PM
I just sat along with the recording to fill in the parts I missed. Now it properly feels like I have taken Jukai. A beautiful ceremony.

Thank you so much to all of you who were with us and all who were not.

Taking the precepts
hesitation falls away
with my greying hair.

Gassho
Andy/Kokuu

i also sat with the recording this afternoon to fill in the portions I missed, most of which were early in the ceremony. I really liked touching a pine sprig to my head. I may make that a habit (although the broken pine needle on the Maneki probably fills the same purpose).

Gassho,
Juki/William

Cooperix
01-12-2014, 11:30 PM
Yes! A wonderful event to witness. Thank you for making it available to us all.
Anne

Taigu
01-13-2014, 12:08 AM
Welcome to all!!! It is a joy to walk this walk and get the scent of wet autumn leaves and plum blossoms.
I am especially glad to see that the tradition of sewing is getting through Treeleaf and the right method has been transmitted.

Gassho

Taigu

Jishin
01-13-2014, 12:23 AM
Congratulations to all!!! :-)

Gassho, Jishin

Kaiku
01-13-2014, 12:24 AM
Lovely and Congrats! :)

Gassho
Bobbby

Heishu
01-13-2014, 12:50 AM
Congratulations to you all on this most auspicious day in your lives. Wishing each and every one of you the best in your journey.

Gassho,
Heishu

Jundo
01-13-2014, 01:56 AM

That is okay. There is a little known Treaty between the U.S. and Canada that covers the efficacy of Jukai cross-border. Same in the E.U. So we are covered.

Sorry about that.

This is really forgetting here and there!

Gassho, J

TimF
01-13-2014, 02:00 AM
Congratulations to all! I had to work today but will watch the ceremony later this evening. Next year I plan on being a participant for sure!

Gassho,
Tim

Jundo
01-13-2014, 02:03 AM
- and another deep bow goes to Seimyo for making the quick user name changes!

Thank you all and Gassho,

Timo/Daitetsu (formerly known as LimoLama)

Yes, thank you again Seimyo!

And might I ask our folks with new Dharma Names to continue to sign their posts and messages with the earthly name too? At least for awhile so that we can keep track of who is who. gassho1**

Gassho, J

** (and even though, in a Zen sense of names not mattering ... who IS ALWAYS who! :p )

Oheso
01-13-2014, 05:40 AM
congratulations to those who are always who and new buddhists, to boot!

bows of respect in all your directions.

gassho,

Robt

Ishin
01-13-2014, 04:35 PM
Congrats to all. Sorry my family life intervened from me seeing this live.
Thank you for your commitment
Gassho
Clark

Shokai
01-13-2014, 08:12 PM
Jundo;
Glad to hear about the little known treaty. Now, can you find something that could void the need of a token every time I visit :)

Myoshin
01-13-2014, 10:17 PM
Congratulations all, the Sangha grows, living with vows.

Gassho

Myoshin

Kantai
01-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Now I have done the ceremony with the recording to fill in the gapless gaps.
:)

Who was that guy dropping in and out the whole time?

Gassho
Kantai/Edward

Ed
01-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Wonderful. Precepts are the gift you give yourself and keeps on giving.
Bows to all in this participating sangha.
Seido.