- Mind is a field
- In which every kind of seed is sown.
- This mind-field can also be called
- In us are infinite varieties of seeds -
- Seeds of samsara, nirvana, delusion, and enlightenment,
- Seeds of suffering and happiness,
- ... Are all stored in our consciousness.
- That is why it is called "store".
- Some seeds are innate,
- Handed down by our ancestors.
- Some were sown while we were still in the womb,
- Others were sown when we were children.
- The quality of our life
- Depends on the quality
- Of the seeds
- That lie deep in our consciousness.
A very ancient Buddhist model of the human mind and psychology includes something called the Store Consciousness (Alaya-vijnana). Thich Nhat Hanh has compiled several verses which give a sense of its workings ... here are part:
Although a rather complicated idea, the basic premise is really very simple. Whether we experience the world with happiness, sadness, anger, peacefulness, fear, courage, greed, generosity ... all depends on the particular seeds which come to fruition.
But the good news is that we do have the power to nurture, and like a gardener, water and cultivate the wholesome seeds within us. We can often choose the seeds we wish to grow.
(remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells;a sitting time of 20 to 35 minutes is recommended)