Thread: MUST READING - The Foolproof Guide To Becoming A Guru

MUST READING - The Foolproof Guide To Becoming A Guru

Guys,

The following two essays are hilarious, biting, totally accurate takes on the whole spiritual scene. I REALLY WANT TO MAKE THEM 'MUST READING' FOR ANYONE interested in Zen, Buddhism or any kind of Eastern Wisdom.

And guys, if you ever catch Taigu or me trying any of this, be sure to call us on it and run for the exits. (Fortunately, I believe that what we are peddling is pretty wonderful without too many tricks ). I must confess, however, that we do make some folks work for free "for their own good" (thanks Seimyo, Kyonin, Dosho and crew!)

I am going to post the entirety below, just so we always have these around ...

The Foolproof Guide To Becoming A Guru – Part 1
    http://superaalifragilistic.wordpres...a-guru-part-1/

The Foolproof Guide To Becoming A Guru – Part 2
    http://superaalifragilistic.wordpres...a-guru-part-2/

But be warned! My posting these might be just my sneaky way of implying that I am a guru who is a "not a guru" guru!

Gassho, American Guy with Funny Asian Name

=================

The Foolproof Guide To Becoming A Guru – Part 1
    Posted on March 7, 2013 by aalif

Becoming a spiritual Guru is a tricky business. One wrong move, and you could end up actually having to work for a living. But with a few time-tested tricks from GD and me, you can have a spiritual empire which spans far beyond your dog and driver. So here’s the hilarious first-class pass for all those on a guru-trip!

[Disclaimer: No real gurus were harmed during the writing of this article.]

1) Invent The Big Bang:
    The first thing you must create is that truly cosmos-shattering enlightenment anecdote aka The Big Bang. This is important. But what is even more important is that your enlightenment story must always be preceded by a disclaimer like, “I don’t really like to talk about this…” or “I only share this for your understanding.” And then share it as freely as a visiting card. Next, dismiss everything pre-enlightenment as a meaningless dream and choose your grandiloquent new name. Again, insist your disciples conferred it upon you out of love and respect!

2) Create ‘The Chosen Ones’:
    To convert potential disciples, you need to privately say this to each one: “You have such great spiritual potential.” It does two things: one, it supports the poor bugger’s secret belief that he is a highly evolved soul. More importantly, it shows him that only you have the penetrating insight to see this, and guide him to his glorious destiny!

3) The Mystical Touch:
    Tell your students what you want to give them cannot be contained in words. To add that special kundalini mystique, every once in a while during deep meditation, flap your arms like an albatross and channel moaning sounds from a galaxy far, far away. If you can’t burp up holy ash, at least wear enough crystal jewelry to make Elizabeth Taylor look like a nun.

4) Copyright Your Own Technique:
    Next, copyright any ordinary technique in your name by adding the word ‘quantum’ to it. For example ‘quantum relationship yoga’, or ‘quantum argle-bargle technique’ or ‘quantum of solace method’. Explain it by randomly combining words like “fifth dimensional attunement”, “pure being” and “Archangel Zigzagel”. Finally, create a pseudo-Sanskrit Ritual Mantra ‘Oppa Ganga-namah Stile-Om’ (Translation: Oppa Gangnam Style)

5) Spread The Good Word:
    Like every brand, you need a strong marketing & PR team, except you will call them ‘gullible-disciples-willing-to-work-for-free’. Virtual followers on social media are more important than real followers these days so give up-to-the-minute updates of your gloriously happy, perfect life. Since everything is part of one consciousness, feel free to recycle others’ ideas as your own (but remember to copyright your words and sell them for $13.95 in paperback).

6) Answer Every Question With ‘Absolute’ Confidence:
    So what if your attempts at discourses are as shallow as monsoon puddles? Just paraphrase everything by saying things like “Don’t pay attention to my words. Listen to the silence between my words.” Remind students that even Lao Tzu admitted that the Truth cannot be spoken.

A few tips on dealing with smart-ass questioners. If you don’t know how to answer a difficult question, the first option is to shoot back: “Who is asking this question? Who wants to know?” If that doesn’t work, dive straight into the Absolute (as in the state of Being, not the Vodka). Remember this: “Pure Consciousness” is the correct answer for every question ever asked! For example:

Q: Master, my wife has left me, and I am about to shoot myself. What should I do?
    A: Everything is happening in Pure Consciousness. Nothing happens outside Pure Consciousness. Pure Consciousness is all there is.
    Q: Oh thank you, Master! I didn’t see that perspective! I am so small and petty.
    A: Yes, you are.

If someone persists, then say with a deep sigh: “I am ready to give you enlightenment right now, but are you ready to receive it?” (If he persists in saying ‘yes’ that’s obviously ego speaking.) And if all else fails, dismiss the student as ‘too intellectual’. And recommend a month of kitchen duty to cure him of this disease.

7) Set Impossible Standards:
    If anyone demands to know where they are heading, reply ‘the day you are able to surrender FULLY, you will be enlightened’. The trick is to use words like ‘completely’, ‘totally’ or ‘fully’. Because hey! What ‘fully’ actually looks like is so totally in your hands! So keep the herd running after goals like trusting fully, loving fully, serving fully and you can keep them busy for a decade at least.

If you do have occasional pangs of conscience, remember that sheep need a shepherd. If it’s gonna be somebody, might as well be you! And if the CEO of Goldman Sachs can get paid millions, why shouldn’t you? Chances are, you might actually help someone!

These tips should get your little spiritual movement off the ground. But the difficult part is yet to come – how to keep your new flock from bleating too loudly, grazing on greener pastures or jumping the fence completely. More about resolving these issues in: The Foolproof Guide To Becoming A Guru – Part 2.

=======================

The Foolproof Guide To Becoming A Guru – Part 2
    Posted on March 12, 2013 by aalif

So you’ve amplified your little bathroom epiphany into a full-blown enlightenment orgasm, you’ve created an indecipherable teaching and convinced a few blokes that you are the Real Shree Sri McCoy-ji. You’ve painstakingly followed all the instructions in The Foolproof Guide To Becoming A Guru – Part I, and you think it’s finally time to have your aching feet washed in rose-water… But wait! The critical phase is about to begin. Here’s the insider’s guide by GD and me to Livin’ La Vida Guru Loka!

1) Destroy the Competition:
    Constantly discourse that all other teachings are superficial and all other teachers are caught in various degrees of self-deception. (Note: Dead teachers should be praised freely). Also, any student who leaves or wants to explore something else is an idiot.
    In short, present yourself as the only broker for enlightenment on this planet. You are the only socket to plug them to the Source. You are the only real-true-capable master… the rest are all frauds, thieves and delusional monkeys!

2) Disciple of The Week Award:
    Let your disciples compete for your attention and affection. Create situations where disciples compete for intangibles like a place in front of the podium or leftovers from your plate. Public reward and punishment is key to this. Remind students that he who has the microphone and the big flowing beard is always right! Keep them well-behaved by never letting them know exactly where they stand and how much they have evolved. And for your own job perks, remind every attractive student that “a true disciple never says no”.

3) ‘For Your Own Good’:
    Let this phrase be the chorus line of all your songs. I am making you work for free… for your own good. I am taking all your money… for your own good. I am publicly humiliating you… for your own good. I am exploring tantric poses with your girlfriend… for your own good. And one day you will thank me for it! (Repeat 2x.) A superb variation of this strategy is: “This is what your soul is asking for.” Try arguing your way out of that!

4) Elevate the Sheep:
    Reward the disciples who become more and more like sheep, or mindless robots – whichever comes first. If they show symptoms of independent thought, deal with it firmly because that obviously comes from their ego. But be a little devious about it: Tell disciples to trust their inner voice — but only after you translate it for them!

5) Spiritualize All Your Desires:
    You may have a pertinent question here: how to maintain your specialness even after disciples see you blundering day after day? Here’s how this simple, fool-proof technique goes: “Since you are pure consciousness, everything you do is blameless. And since they are not yet awakened, everything they do comes from ego!”
    There, now you have a license to be rude, angry, jealous, greedy, insecure and screw around while still being awakened. Enlightenment means never having to say you’re sorry… or wrong, or confused, or depressed, or horny!

6) Glamorize Suffering:
    In time, some followers will get really stressed in their quest to appease your impossible standards. Some may begin to suspect their constant unhappiness is a sign that they are not on the right track. So do not – we repeat – do not make happiness or love or peace the yardsticks to measure progress! Instead, keep telling them that the more they suffer, the more they are evolving! Reframe all their dullness and depression as ‘dark night of the soul’ or ‘part of the ascension process’. Tell them stories of how much people in the past have suffered and cried for enlightenment, and keep them addicted to the struggle.

7) Be a “Non-Guru” Guru:
    See, here’s a tricky point. If you run a business, you need to show results. So how do you keep people hooked for decades onto an enlightenment carrot with no proof of success? Simple — don’t ever call yourself a Guru! Demand respect and obedience like a guru, but insist that you are just a normal guy. Tell them: “You are my real gurus.” (Not too often, else they may start believing you.) Emphasize repeatedly that you don’t really want to be a guru – and that a true master suffers the power, worship, dollars and threesomes only for his devotees’ sake!

The Bottom Line:
    One, make sure the students constantly realise they are spiritually inferior to you. Use large doses of judgement, criticism and complaint. Keep ‘em small, keep ‘em seeking, keep ‘em hooked.
    Two, keep them scared for their future outside of your safe little chalk circle; in the name of freedom, teach them a new kind of bondage.
    Three, anyone who leaves should instantly be demoted to the status of ‘lost soul trapped once again by worldly desires’.

So there, with a little help, becoming a guru can be as easy as one-two-three. And if all your disciples escape in any case, then announce with deep sadness: “Nobody wants the real thing. People are not ready for the truth.” With this simple declaration, you can still continue to be right… and superior to the rest of the human race. Then you can move to another country and start again from Step 1.

In the meantime, just be careful that you don’t bump into a real master – one who may be lovingly and insightfully using some devices just like these to transform people’s lives.

[Coming Sometime Soon: The Foolproof Guide to Being A Fake Disciple – How to suck up to your spiritual teacher, dump all responsibility for your life on him and blame him when everything goes wrong!]
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-01-2014 at 05:10 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hello,

Know a couple of these: ". . . a real master – one who may be lovingly and insightfully using some devices just like these to transform people’s lives."^^

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thank you Master. Am at your service. Can't wait for the next installment.

Kind regards. /\
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Thank you. Very funny, but in a biting way as I am sure we have all seen, or heard of, many examples of these techniques being used on real people.

Gassho,
    Neika
    Neika / Ian Adams

寧 Nei - Peaceful/Courteous
    火 Ka - Fire

Look for Buddha outside your own mind, and Buddha becomes the devil. --Dogen

Joyo
    Oh thank you my wonderful Guru who I admire so much, thank you for posting this

Gassho,
    Treena

Kyotai
    Disciple of the week award.. Lol

Gassho

Shawn

Please can you be teaching us the Quantum Shikantaza now?

Gassho
    Andy

That's pretty good. I couldn't help thinking that if you change the word "enlightenment" to "salvation" it would be directly applicable to most of the churches here in the southern United States.

Gassho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mp
    Oh mighty guru ... Such mighty wisdom! LOL Brilliant! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Listen guys, I don't like to talk about it, but my ego dropped away and now I'm enlightened. I need one of you to come over rake my yard and wash my car. It's to work off your bad karma and once you're done I'll let you in the club... of course, you will need to watch my $200 dvd series called "enlightenment in 143 easy steps"
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    That's pretty good. I couldn't help thinking that if you change the word "enlightenment" to "salvation" it would be directly applicable to most of the churches here in the southern United States.

Gassho

William, I totally understand what you are saying. I just finished reading both these articles, and honestly, it was quite painful because I've attended very strict, controlling, religious churches and a lot of these points are exactly what they do...right down to demanding money. I spent 8 yrs in a church like this...it is still hard for me to let go of what I could have been doing with my time and money for those 8 years, instead of letting my "gurus" and the church have complete control over my life.

Gassho,
    Treena

Hahahaha!! Thanks Jundo!

Gassho, John.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
    William, I totally understand what you are saying. I just finished reading both these articles, and honestly, it was quite painful because I've attended very strict, controlling, religious churches and a lot of these points are exactly what they do...right down to demanding money. I spent 8 yrs in a church like this...it is still hard for me to let go of what I could have been doing with my time and money for those 8 years, instead of letting my "gurus" and the church have complete control over my life.

Gassho,
    Treena
    I think a degree of skepticism is always in order anytime money changes hands. Applying that rule to guruism (is that a word?) would solve a lot of the problem.

Hi Treena,

Quote Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
    I spent 8 yrs in a church like this...it is still hard for me to let go of what I could have been doing with my time and money for those 8 years, instead of letting my "gurus" and the church have complete control over my life.
    Consider it a lesson! We learn from these things, too.
    Everything you encounter is your life, everything you encounter is you.
    There is the chance to learn from everything, even the bad stuff.
    Perhaps this helps?

Gassho,

Timo

PS: Before I forget (some here will know him) - best "Guru" ever: http://tuttejiorg.wordpress.com/
    Last edited by Daitetsu; 01-02-2014 at 03:37 PM.
    no thing needs to be added

Joyo
    Thank you Timo and William.

Yes, a lesson, I like that. A lesson that started to turn me into a skeptic in regards to religion, and eventually I end up here. Had I never had that 8 yr experience, I probably would never have become Buddhist and found Treeleaf. So, yes, you are right, a lesson, and good and bad were all connected.

Gassho,
    Treena

Where can I apply for the Disciple of The Week Award?

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Too sadly true. Thanks for the chuckles of recognition. I too have met a few of each ilk along the way. May they find the root of happiness.
    You know, a good book on gurus, false and true, is Halfway Up the Mountain, by Mariana Caplan.

Shinzan

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzan View Post
    Too sadly true. Thanks for the chuckles of recognition. I too have met a few of each ilk along the way. May they find the root of happiness.
    You know, a good book on gurus, false and true, is Halfway Up the Mountain, by Mariana Caplan.

Shinzan
    Reading some of the reviews, I do note that the book seems to be quite sympathetic to a couple of "authentic" gurus I would question, including Andrew Cohen (no relation), who has been pointed to as a rather abusive character.

American Guru: A Story of Love, Betrayal and Healing-former students of Andrew Cohen speak out
    http://www.amazon.com/American-Guru-.../dp/0982453051

It makes me hesitate on the book recommendation. Also, the author describes herself as, not only a researcher, but a spiritual teacher herself.

I do not mean to judge a book by its cover, however.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Jajajajaj!! loved this thread! Thanks!

Gassho

kb
    Dancing between stillness and motion I find peace.

I actually have a Barnes and Noble giftcard I was going to use to buy some Zen books, but Now I am waiting for the new paperback...

"I'm Jundo and so can you"

Gassho
    C

I'm just waiting to see what his dinosaur drawings look like

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk4
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Hello,

Odo Warner has a trinity of teaching "types",

http://hardcorezen.info/three-catego...-teachers/2427

Loving our "Pearls of Great Price".

Gassho,
    Edward
    Last edited by Myosha; 01-09-2014 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Pearl of Great Price
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    I'm just waiting to see what his dinosaur drawings look like

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk4
    Funny, I had the same feeling. hahahahaahahah