Thread: Stretching

Stretching

In zanzenkai this morning Jundo mentioned something about yoga exercises in preparation for Rohatsu. I am just wondering then about stretching exercises & I recall that in Bukkokuji temple they practice 'taiso stretching' before zazen. Does anyone know what these stretching exercises are & how useful they are in preparation for long sits?

Gassho
    David

Hi David,
    Not sure which ones you are referring to. Here's Brad's, though:

YogaForZen.jpg

Gassho
    Myooooooooooooozan

Mp
    Hey David ... I do Ashtanga yoga and I find it is very helpful for sitting, but have never done it in conjunction with sitting.

BTW - I do like the drawing that Myozan gave.

Gassho
    Shingen

I have three pose models and a film student coming to my house tomorrow afternoon to shoot a fifteen-minute sequence of yoga stretches for people in the Sangha to do after sitting. When it is ready and edited, I will upload it to YouTube before Rohatsu.

i am considering doing something roughly an hour long that would be up your alley, David. It will be yoga for people who either have a meditation practice or want to start one. It will focus on core strengthening, back strengthening and stretching of the back and hips. This will be a huge time commitment to produce, and I doubt I can start on it for several weeks. But, I will keep everyone posted if it looks doable.

gassho,
    william
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Wow, William, I did not expect such an elaborate effort to make the Yoga film for Rohatsu. Thank you so much.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

William, sounds awesome. Thank you for doing this.

Gassho
    Matt

William, Deep bows thank you so much!

Gassho
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Wow, William, I did not expect such an elaborate effort to make the Yoga film for Rohatsu. Thank you so much.

Gassho, J
    its not that elaborate. It just worked out well. I asked my friends from teacher training if they would like to demonstrate the stretching poses, and three said yes. So, they will do the poses while I call them out. They will be the ones on camera for everyone to see and follow along with. One of them has a boyfriend who is in the FSU Film School and he asked if he could shoot it. He has a nice camera and knows how to edit, so it worked out. Everyone is doing this gratis for Treeleaf. I just hope it comes together well.

Gassho,
    william
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

Gassho, J
    Yes, I agree with Jundo ... above and beyond, but much gratitude William. :-)

Gassho
    Shingen

Amazing! Good on you, William.
    Gassho
    M

William, thank you for helping everyone by doing this and thanks also to your helpers.

Gassho,
    Heishu

“Blessed are the flexible, for they never get bent out of shape." Author Unknown

Very nice William. Seems where there is a William there is a way

Gassho
    C

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to yoga, but the little I have practiced so far has been great for my back, joints and overall mood.

It has improved my running. I also do a 10 minutes yoga warm up session before zazen. Not sure if I do it correctly, but it has given me elasticity to sit better and almost achieve full lotus. Need to keep on practicing, though.

So thank you William! your videos will be more than welcome

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Deep bows William
    Gassho

Sent from Tapatalk 2
    Thank you for your practice