Thread: Old age, sickness and death ... The Good News.

Old age, sickness and death ... The Good News.

Only one of those is certain. You might elude the other two.

Gassho
    Myozan
    Last edited by Myozan Kodo; 04-02-2014 at 07:08 AM.

Nindo
    Ummm ... yeah. Not so sure what to make of this right now . Dying young is not so fun, either, at least not for those left behind .

Old age, sickness and death ... The Good News.

Nindo,
    That is it. We are blessed if we live to old age, if we live long enough to be old and frail. Often we don't recognise the 'good news' that is ours. We complain to grow old, but we are privileged to do so.

Gassho
    Myozan

http://users.rider.edu/~suler/zenstory/prosperity.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Myozan Kodo; 04-02-2014 at 07:01 AM.

True! Children shouldn't die but, it does such to grow old

gassho, Jindo Shokai, an itinerant monk emeritus still learning the way and knowing nothing.
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

I'm pretty surprised I managed to NOT elude those other two. Now I'm just happy to be here.
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Nengyo View Post
    I'm pretty surprised I managed to NOT elude those other two. Now I'm just happy to be here.
    Diddo. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

I've managed to make it to 45, and would absolutely love to have another 30 or 40 years on top of that. However, with impermanence being what it is (or isn't), I'll take each day as a continued blessing, whether it be stormy or sunny.

Gassho,
    Tim
    "The moment has priority". ~ Bon Haeng

I've made it to 43, which is nearly twice as long as I once thought I had coming to me. A couple of hospital stays managed to get a little of my attention, so you'd think I'd quit screwing around.

Maybe they need a pic of tigers and berries instead of a TV in the cardiac rooms. lol
    Diligently attain nothing. Sort of. Best not to over-think it.
    http://www.janxter.com/

Old age is all in your mind and so far its not as bad as they said. Regardless of age acceptance is the key.

Kind regards. /\
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Eishuu
    One down, two to go...yes I think acceptance is the key I don't know anyone who has escaped sickness entirely. Come to think of it, I don't know anyone who has not been affected by death and old age in some form, whether of friends, family or pets.

Find me a seed from a house where no one has ever died. Gassho
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

mohamed zen
    Zen Master Thich nhat hanh said , when you heve right understanding of death there will be no fear of death .
    Our nature is like the cloud nature . The cloud nature is no birth and no death . When the cloud turn to rain it is not Die . It Continue as rain . But it never die .
    Our nature is like the cloud nature . No birth and no death just continuation .

أرسلت من GT-N7000 بإستخدام تاباتلك

Quote Originally Posted by mohamed zen View Post
    Zen Master Thich nhat hanh said , when you heve right understanding of death there will be no fear of death .
    Our nature is like the cloud nature . The cloud nature is no birth and no death . When the cloud turn to rain it is not Die . It Continue as rain . But it never die .
    Our nature is like the cloud nature . No birth and no death just continuation .

أرسلت من GT-N7000 بإستخدام تاباتلك

And yet there is also birth and death . Both are true enough.. no-birth and no-death, and birth and death. No-birth and no-death is precisely birth as birth and death as death. So I will practice no-birth and no-death by being born and dying.

Gassho, Daizan

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Old age is all in your mind and so far its not as bad as they said. Regardless of age acceptance is the key.

Kind regards. /\
    Love this, so true!! I have made it to 38, just enjoying the ride as best as I can

Gassho,
    Joyo

Eishuu
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    Find me a seed from a house where no one has ever died. Gassho
    I was thinking of that story too Amelia... I find it really moving

Yes, I like it too because it makes it clear that eventually everyone knows loss. No one is a victim of it, alone.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Gassho and thanks.

Dokan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    ~Anaïs Nin