Thread: Daily integration of Zen

Daily integration of Zen

Hi all,

My quick question is what is the best way to integrate Zen into those moments not on the zafu? For instance, when having a rough day at work or when anger seems to boil inside? I do sit zazen every day and try to recite the Heart Sutra every day as well. I try to stay in the present moment, but I am not always successful. Much metta for any and all advice. 😊

Gassho,
    Scott
    Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk
    Forever is so very temporary...

Hi Scott

I must confess I am not always successful either. After practicing for some time, though, I can say that I am able to let things go faster and react less impulsively. Still a work in progress but zazen seeps into life off the cushion whether we want it to or not!

That said, Thich Nhat Hanh has some lovely ideas about incorporating mindfulness (for want of a better word) into daily living using things that happen throughout the day to bring you back to the present moment (some might say that you cannot actually be anywhere other than the present moment but I know what you mean). TNH recommends using the phone ringing like a mindfulness bell and take three breaths before you answer. Car horns can be used in a similar way to take three breaths. Most smart phones have apps for random mindfulness bells if you think that might be helpful.

Rough days at work are rough. Remember to breathe and spend time away from the desk and outside if you can. Feel the ground under your feet and the freshness of the air. You are probably not alone in having a rough day and that is often something to bear in mind when you are angry with someone.

Anyway, advice to take or leave from a Zen newbie. Thank you for your practice.

Gassho
    Kokuu

Dear Scott.

A thing I have tried to do with some measure of success is to trace the origin of that everyday unwanted feeling in the particular situation. It is very likely to be nothing but the mind playing tricks or it might be something of far far less importance than you first thought. It can help put you back in the driver's seat. You're the boss of the mind. Not the other way about.

"I'm mad at my father!"

"Ah! Why?"

"He didn't buy the food I wanted!"

"He still brought you food. For free. Out of loving kindness. And while not your favorite...it's still pretty nice food. And sure as hell better than not having any food whatsoever."

Also: Try to do one task a day mindfully. Just say...I'm going to wash my hands mindfully. Feel it. Take that extra time. Simply be aware for that short time.

These are things I myself do. I hope you can use them somehow.

Gassho
    ~ Please remember that I am very fallible.

Gassho
    Meikyo

Hi Scott,
    I can't find the "Insta-Zazen" I remember, Jundo's explanation, but the search result showed this:
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ht=insta+zazen

Maybe this can be helpful?

Gassho,
    Danny

Kyotai
    Hi Scott.

Return to the zafu, again and again each day. That is it.

Good days, bad days, sunny, rainy.

Gassho, Shawn

Don't forget to incorporate Zen into the days when everything is going "your way" either.

Gassho
    C

Hi,

Life is zen and zen is life.

Hard days at work, death of a family member, a relaxing Sunday in the woods, the smell of incense, the explosion of emotions of a kiss... everything is but one thing.

Nothing to incorporate, one just have to sit regularly to see and understand.

But then again I could be wrong.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Hi Scott, I am a newbie.

I used to felt kind of dissapointed as most of the answers to my questions were "just sit" or "there is nothing to accomplish" or "everything is zen".

But lately, "just sitting" I started realizing that our very first problem is establishing that division between in and out of the zafu. Or between zazen and the rest of our life.
    I think we create an unexistent division, stick to it and then try to resolve it.
    Anyway, for now, I only think it. I have to work to actually "realize" it.

I hope this can help you, as a few weeks ago I was asking pretty much the same, and am still chewing the conclusion.

Gassho.
    Gassho,Walter

Hi Scott,

That's why they call it practice and not perfection.

Gassho, Jishin

Hi Scott
    Thanks for your question. For what its worth, heres what I do.
    Bring myself back to the present moment when I notice I am somewhere else.
    Notice when I am angry and choose to act on it or not.
    Practice compassion.
    Keep on sitting.
    Terrible advice really except for the bit about sitting.
    Gassho
    Jamie

Hi all,

Much metta and thanks to everyone for their advice and insight. Being a former practitioner of Jodo, I tend to lapse into chanting either Nembutsu or Kanzeon. I do chant Kanzeon when I wish to call forth my compassion, or unfortunately my lack thereof. Is that wrong of me to do so?

Gassho,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Hi all,

Much metta and thanks to everyone for their advice and insight. Being a former practitioner of Jodo, I tend to lapse into chanting either Nembutsu or Kanzeon. I do chant Kanzeon when I wish to call forth my compassion, or unfortunately my lack thereof. Is that wrong of me to do so?

Gassho,
    Scott
    Hi Scott,

If it helps, do so. Or pray to Jesus or whatever your hearts calls to. Many folks Practice Zazen combined with something more ... be it Pure Land, Christianity and such.

But when one sits Zazen, there is just sitting. Nothing more to chant or do.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-30-2014 at 09:51 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

For me I've just learned to accept the fact that "anger boiling over" or a "rough day at work" are also zen.

Quote Originally Posted by Daijo View Post
    For me I've just learned to accept the fact that "anger boiling over" or a "rough day at work" are also zen.
    And yet, and yet ... as the anger boils over, one learns to take the pot off the stove ...

... and, amid the rough day at work, one comes to know a certain Peace of Nothing to Do right at the heart of rough.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thanks Jundo. I have been wrestling with that question since I started to sit zazen. Though I still have the inclination to chant Kannon's name or 10 phrase sutra, when it comes down to it, zazen is my only practice 😊.

Gassho,
    Scott