Thread: Enlightenment

Enlightenment

Enlightenment is like the moon reflected on the water.

The moon does not get wet, nor is the water broken.

Although its light is wide and great, the moon is reflected even in a puddle an inch wide.

The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in dewdrops on the grass, or even in one drop of water.

Enlightenment does not divide you, just as the moon does not break the water.

You cannot hinder enlightenment, just as a drop of water does not hinder the moon in the sky.

The depth of the drop is the height of the moon.

Each reflection, however long or short its duration, manifests the vastness of the dewdrop, and realizes the limitlessness of the moonlight in the sky.

Dogen

Hello,

Dig Dogen.

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

I am just starting to get in to him. He wrote some beautiful stuff

Mp
    Wonderful Troy,

Got to love that old Dogen. =)

Enlightenment does not divide you, just as the moon does not break the water.
    Gassho
    Shingen

The words dropped lightly, like leaves.

Gassho
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    The words dropped lightly, like leaves.

Gassho
    Beautiful Amelia

Yugen

Enlightenment

This is indeed beautiful. Thank you Troy for sharing it.

Buddha nature pervades the universe.

It is indeed beautiful imagery, and Dogen makes artful use of imagery.

The moment we form a like or dislike, we become attached to our preference and might miss the full opportunity in the teaching.

I'm just a novice priest, but it seems to me the teachings are only a vehicle for our practice. At some point they are intended to be, and should be left behind, like a raft that
    has carried us to a distant shore.

It's important to treat Dogen in much the same way. Enjoy the thrill of discovery - and then move on. He would be the first to say this.

Huineng had no Dharma to teach - he used such devices as were necessary to liberate individuals from suffering - each according to their need. Dogen was similar.

Beauty is fleeting - and a creation of the mind.

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 05-03-2014 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post

The moment we form a like or dislike, we become attached to our preference and might miss the full opportunity in the teaching.

Remember the teachings are only a vehicle for our practice. At some point they are intended to be, and should be left behind, like a raft that

It's important to treat Dogen in much the same way. Enjoy the thrill of discovery - and then move on. He would be the first to say this.

Huineng had no Dharma to teach - he used such devices as were necessary to liberate individuals from suffering - each according to their need. Dogen was similar.

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Thank you for that teaching Yugen

Yugen
    Troy,
    Thanks to you for starting a wonderful discussion and reminding us of the elegant simplicity of our practice!

Deep bows
    Yugen

Joyo

Remember the teachings are only a vehicle for our practice. At some point they are intended to be, and should be left behind, like a raft that

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Thank you Yugen, for this beautiful reminder.

And thank you, Troy, as well, for starting this discussion.

Gassho,
    Joyo

Remember the teachings are only a vehicle for our practice. At some point they are intended to be, and should be left behind, like a raft that has carried us to a distant shore.
    Thanks for the reminder Yugen. I need to get my nose out of books and my rear on the cushion more often!

Gassho,
    Eddie