Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shohei has decided to leave the priest training

Shohei has decided to leave the priest training

Dear all,

Shohei has decided to leave the priest training.
    He is an amazing fellow with a boundless heart and his caring presence has helped and inspired us over the years.
    Priests in training do often stop. Many of the priests i sat with 35 years ago have left now. Nothing unusual.

In fact, one can never leave this training, one cannot actually stop this as shikantaza belongs to the timeless. Wherever Shohei goes, whatever he does, he is our brother and friend. We wish him the very best and he knows he is home, here and now, anytime he wishes to visit and sit with us.

Take great care of yourself!

Gassho

Taigu

Shohei, I respect your decision and wish you the best.

Gassho,
    Heishu

“Blessed are the flexible, for they never get bent out of shape." Author Unknown

Kyotai
    Thank you for your service at Treeleaf.

Gassho

Shawn
    Last edited by Kyotai; 05-13-2014 at 01:47 AM.

Mp
    Shohei, I too respect and support you in anyway I can. You are our brother now and always will be. Thank you for all the wonderful things that you have done and do.

Be well my friend! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Shohei, I only got to sit with you once. It was just the two of us on the Saturday night before the last Ango period started. After we sat Zazen, you were kind enough to talk to me about my practice for about twenty minutes. I will never forget that kindness. You are a fine person, and I hope that your training stays with you always. Thank you.

gassho,
    Juki
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Joyo
    Shohei, thank you for the time you have put into Treeleaf. You will be missed, but you will always be with us.

Gassho
    Joyo

So odd and sad to see him so suddenly disappear, but that's life. I truly wish him all the best. We'll see him around.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Safe and peaceful paths before you. Thank you for your time here.
    Gassho
    C

Thank you and peaceful journeys

Deep Gassho
    Seizan

Shohei, I wish you all the best of everything! Your presence and support here has been invaluable to me and so many others. Wherever you are, wherever you go, I hope you find your "happy."

Kelly/Jinmei

Thank you Taigu and Shohei,
    thought not being the most "visible" priest in the boards here, Shohei did alsways inspire me a lot. Thank you,
    and thank you that you took the step to be a priest in training, some years ago. ... enough said,
    Thank you and Gassho
    Myoku

Shohei, I'm sorry to hear it . . . and yet, I'm sure the decision wasn't easy and you made the one that was right for you. I hope all is well and you'll still be around here!

Gassho

Jen

That must have been a difficult decision, Shohei. All good wishes for your onward journey.

Gassho
    Andy

Deep bows.

Gassho Daizan

Take care Shohei. Must've been quite a conundrum...ing decision to make. Be well brother.

Gassho, John

Deep bows Shohei.

Gassho
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

I am surprised and sorry to hear this, but I fully respect that decision (must have been hard).

I hope everything is fine and you will still participate actively in our sangha.
    All the best for you and thank you for your practice and what you have been giving to this sangha!

Gassho,

Daitetsu
    no thing needs to be added

Sorry to hear this news Shohei.
    Gassho, Jakudo

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
    Gassho, Shawn Jakudo Hinton
    It all begins when we say, “I”. Everything that follows is illusion.
    "Even to speak the word Buddha is dragging in the mud soaking wet; Even to say the word Zen is a total embarrassment."
    寂道

Take care Shohei.

Gassho,

Risho

A sad and hard decision to make, take care Shohei.... I remember how much respect and love you showed us for the Kesa, maybe see you around still?

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Deep bows, Shohei....

Gassho,
    Tim
    "The moment has priority". ~ Bon Haeng

you all seem to attend a funeral...MAYBE IT IS SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! COME ON GUYS, JUST ENJOY!

gassho

T.

Nindo
    Quote Originally Posted by Taigu View Post
    In fact, one can never leave this training...
    "You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave ... " (Hotel California)

Hi Shohei, thank you for your service. Now go get a life ... may all go well for you!
    Gassho,
    Nindo

Taigu,

I think I understand what you are saying, but for newer folks it may sound like you are saying we should not allow any feelings of sadness or loss come to the surface. I certainly am still upset, but as time has passed I know that different is something to be embraced. Yet now, so soon after the public announcement, are you saying people shouldn't feel sad or have a sense of loss? Speaking only for myself, I would think it counterproductive to think of these feelings, at least for now, as a source of joy.

Gassho,
    Dosho

you all seem to attend a funeral...MAYBE IT IS SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! COME ON GUYS, JUST ENJOY!
    EDIT: I forgot to say what Yugen said so well...this is just my view, which may very well be deluded. So, that's why I asked.
    Last edited by Dosho; 05-13-2014 at 07:51 PM.

Yugen
    Are sadness and joy mutually exclusive? I would think they travel in company..... emotions are not one-dimensional and do not have an inherently separate existence......

Just the opinion of a very new and deluded priest-in-training.

Deep bows
    Yugen

I think we should read Taigu's post carefully. For me the message is in the words, "MAYBE IT IS SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!

Gassho
    Taikyo

Thanks shohei for being such a compassionate person.

White bird must fly or
    He will die.

Kind regards. /\
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Best wishes on your new endeavors, Shohei. Gassho, Matt J

I just figured that a trainee does not enter the situation on a whim... it is a big life decision, and teachers do not accept anyone who approaches them as a candidate. So there is a certain investment of time and effort, and confidence..etc. It is just a change, people come and go, but it is not like changing your socks. Having no information at all it is only natural to imagine there must have been some difficult choices at some point... and maybe some sadness for someone.

I'm glad to hear it is not a heavy.

Gassho Daizan

Quote Originally Posted by Taikyo View Post
    I think we should read Taigu's post carefully. For me the message is in the words, "MAYBE IT IS SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!
    And maybe it isn't.

I actually agree with Taigu's entire statement and don't believe he was telling people how to feel, but I think some might take "you all seem to attend a funeral" as criticizing them for expressing sadness. But, again, I may be wrong...and that's why I decided to ask.

Gassho,
    Dosho

I know that it's Shohei's business, but I think I just want to know if there is an issue within the Sangha, or if it is simply a change of heart.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
    Taigu,

I think I understand what you are saying, but for newer folks it may sound like you are saying we should not allow any feelings of sadness or loss come to the surface. I certainly am still upset, but as time has passed I know that different is something to be embraced. Yet now, so soon after the public announcement, are you saying people shouldn't feel sad or have a sense of loss? Speaking only for myself, I would think it counterproductive to think of these feelings, at least for now, as a source of joy.

Gassho,
    Dosho

I'm going to agree with this. This is a pretty serious piece of second-hand information; none of us (apparently) knows what happened--how exactly are we supposed to respond? One person has left training before without a word, essentially disappearing without a trace, and it appears to be happening again. So forgive us if we're a bit sad to seem to be losing someone who's been here for many years.

Gassho

Jen

Nenka says what I feel better than I...
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

Quote Originally Posted by Nenka View Post
    I'm going to agree with this. This is a pretty serious piece of second-hand information; none of us (apparently) knows what happened--how exactly are we supposed to respond? One person has left training before without a word, essentially disappearing without a trace, and it appears to be happening again. So forgive us if we're a bit sad to seem to be losing someone who's been here for many years.

Gassho

Jen
    Jen thank you,

I agree with what you say.

Being relatively new here I have not had a close connection with Shohei but I did feel sad that his photo is no longer by his posts.

It seems to me that if a valued member of a sangha (or any close group) suddenly disappears without saying goodbye it will impact. That is not to demand an explanation - it just seems strange to me that the person wouldn't say goodbye themselves - that the news would be announced by proxy?

Anyway - perhaps this is a Zen thing and I'm missing a point.

Gassho

Willow

Sadness and mourning, joy and happiness, we are dealing with a Brother who has chosen not to continue his training. Is this a funeral? Not for me. Is it a loss? Most certainly. When I posted my comment, I was reflecting how I feel about hearing of Shohei's decision to cease training as a Priest in this Sangha. I continue to respect Shohei's choice and I continue to wish him the best. One of the many things that I do appreciate about this Sangha is that we all really do care about each other. We share the good and the bad. Isn't this why we are members?

Gassho,
    Heishu

“Blessed are the flexible, for they never get bent out of shape." Author Unknown

Since the Buddha's time, since Dogen's time, in monasteries in India or China or California, novice priests have sometimes left training or, due to some change in life, have gone on their way. It is fine, it is human. Stuff just happens.

And sometimes that winding path brings them back around, so Shohei knows he is always welcome here. It would not be true Training and Practice if people were not always free to leave ... or did not have to sometimes struggle with the commitment involved.

Here is the big departure scene from that corny Dogen movie ... (for about 5 minutes from about the 1:21:00 mark here, in this case due to a girl that a cold shower could not cure.) ...

I believe in tears AND celebration. Every moment of life is a time of celebration ... both the happy times and the sad.

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-14-2014 at 02:52 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

When a teacher is pointing, he is often provoking the dualistic mind. Very much like many of you, i experience a form of sadness ( you might not know about the weekly meetings we both had for 5 years) and, very much like Jundo, a form of joy too. You see, i was challenging the general tendency to go one way...
    But it is true that some people don't really want to be challenged. I am sure that the people who could take my pointer in the depth of their heart could gradually come to a different understanding.

Be Well, and please, question relentlessly your old ways at looking at the world.

And don't expect me to agree with most of you. This is not my job.

Gassho

The proxy.

Dear Willow, dear Jen,

And I don't know what happened as it was Shohei's choice to drop an email in the priests mailbox without providing any reason. I don't think he needs to, and I leave it to him to do so or not. What I can say is that this us very frequent on brick and mortar practice centers and as Jundo says stuff happens, people change and the show anyway goes on.
    Shohei knows he is most welcome here and may come back anytime he wishes.

Gassho

Taigu

Mp
    ... the people who could take my pointer in the depth of their heart could gradually come to a different understanding.
    Thank you Taigu. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Hi all!
    Forgive my late reply, I wanted to respond earlier but i messed up my account in revoking my own admin and training forum permissions, basically locking myself out of everything but private messages (doh)

Thank you for the concern and well wishes. I am doing fine, and I am still here, just not in the priest training. It was a heavy decision to make and one that had a tinge of sadness for me. That tinge was smaller than the "feelings" I had about not being fully with the training. Half in and half out.
    I felt I could not be of service to folks if I cannot see through some of my own delusions.
    While its true we are always a work in progress and delusions are endless, mine prevent me from seeing past the dark bit of the path, even though I am standing mid-day in a field. I understand this but yet I still fall into my old habits, I need to mature more and reflect longer.
    This is all for personal reasons, nothing to do with Taigu, the training or any one else.

I am still sitting, sewing and will continue practice.

My deepest apologies to my Taigu, Jundo, the unsui and of course to the Sangha for the disturbance and disruption, this was not my intention.
    Now back to your regularly scheduled program!

Gassho
    Shohei

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Shohei View Post
    My deepest apologies
    None needed my friend ... life is life, here we are, and here we go. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

I too feel you not have to appologize,
    I know you did what you could and what you write about seeing to ones own delusions and mature, is very true, certainly for me,
    thank you and Gassho
    Myoku

Yugen
    Shohei,
    We really love you and care for you.

What you have described is the path I walk every day. I have many questions and doubts regarding my ability to be of service or use to anyone (no, I won't pull the "zazen is good for nothing" rabbit out of the hat here!), and I practice, just as you continue to do. We can continue to support one another with our presence.

Love and deep bows
    Yugen

Thank you for your reply Taigu

Shohei - no explanation is needed - I think the members who know you simply wanted to wish you well on your path. I do understand (I hope) where Taigu is coming from. Making a decision that feels 'right' and is true to one's inner self is a cause for celebration.

I wish you some light on that dark bit of the path you speak of,

Gassho

Willow

Shohei,
    I don't know much. But I wish you well bro.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Shohei, no need to apologize for doing what you need to do. This may be the best thing for you and the Sangha. You know that a plum is most flavorful when it has had a chance to ripen. Let your practice continue to ripen and then maybe you will be ready.

Gassho,
    Heishu

Happy to hear that you are ok Shohei, walking this path at your side, sitting together, piercing delusions

Lets continue practice

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Whoa..my first reaction. I pop in and out of Treeleaf quite sporadically...last few years have been "challenging" But I remember you Shohei from back in the day. Perhaps I've been around Treeleaf for about the same amount of time as you. But in the end ...all the best....It's been a joy practicing with you and hope you still hang out at Treeleaf...
    Gassho,
    BrianW

Hello,

Metta to all.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast