Tugas Gunadarma Gunadarma Tutorial VB.NET Download OST Anime Soundtrack Anime Opening Anime Ending Anime OST Anime Japan Download Lagu Anime Jepang

Thread: Announcing Treeleaf Global Service Initiative!

Blog Entries

Announcing Treeleaf Global Service Initiative!

Greetings all,

Now that the our website/forum launch is smoothly underway (thanks again to Chris, Kyonin, and team!) it's time to put the Global Service portion of Engaged and Charitable Projects into motion. The Engaged Projects Committee has given lots of good feedback and discussion, Jundo and Taigu have provided guidance throughout the process, and it's time to move forward. The first activity to be "rolled out" will be the Global Service Initiative (anyone want to help me with a friendlier label?) -

1) There will be four Global Service Initiative/Periods per year. Each period will be (loosely) two weeks in length. We have learned in the course of our work that many Treeleafers already engage in community service/charitable projects without drawing any attention to themselves. The purpose of our Global Service endeavor is to create a community of engaged practice at Treeleaf, and to celebrate our practice "out in the world..." It would be neat to experience the fellowship and community of Treeleafers who are engaged all over the world in various forms of engaged practice and selfless service. We will ask folks to try and schedule a service activity within the two week practice periods. For those who are attempting to start a new practice activity, Jundo, Taigu, the Engaged Projects Forum, and Treeleafers are all good resources for ideas and encouragement. Our first Global Service Period will coincide with the beginning of Ango this coming September. The second practice period will be in December of this year.

2) We will encourage Treeleafers (only those who wish to do so) to share their service experiences anonymously by submitting to a moderator (Kyonin and myself) who will then post the submissions on an Engaged Projects Blog/"Magazine" to be established on the Treeleaf website. Even if there are only three or four submissions each Service period we hope to share with one another the type of activities we are engaged in and create some excitement and community in our practice.... one or two of these submissions will be featured in our periodic Treeleaf newsletter (more on this soon).

3) Jundo will kick off the first two Service periods with a talk on engaged service and practice.

4) We will also do a little "housecleaning" and reorganizing of the Engaged Projects Forum to focus on our initial activities. Over time we will "roll out" additional activities. We are very interested in developing a Non-violent Communication program/effort, but only when we have the focus to do so properly with your help. One thing at a time!

That's it for now - Thanks to all the committee members who have contributed time, ideas, and feedback to our discussion. Please continue to share your ideas and ongoing comments. It will be important to "tweak" and refine our project based on experience as we move forward. I also hope all Treeleafers will share their thoughts and questions here as we move forward. Please stay tuned for details regarding dates, etc.

Gassho,
    Yugen
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Please take all my comments with a grain of salt - I am a novice priest and anything I say is to be taken with a good dose of skepticism - Shodo Yugen

Great idea! I like the idea of a Non-Violent communication program. My martial arts instructors teach verbal self-defense to kids to protect themselves against bullying using non-violent communication skill. I would love to participate in this effort and other efforts as well.

Gassho,
    Ekai

A wonderful idea & very exciting!

_/\_
    Ade

This is very exciting ... I look forward to seeing it grow.

Gassho
    Michael
    倫道 真現

As a trainee priest, please take any commentary by me on matters of the Dharma with a pinch of salt.

Very exciting! One thought would be to start building a list of possible opportunities. Maybe if we have a sticky that people can submit to and then the moderator update the initial post with the additions?

Just a thought.

Gassho,
    Dokan
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    ~Anas Nin

I would just like to say something from the gut, saying too much, and at the risk of alienating others. As a member of Treeleaf I appreciate this initiative and will take part with heart.

But I also feel that in a way that is very deep to my experience, and hard to put into words... that helping action, with no notion of helping, .. sometimes just meeting a really serious need in the moment.... is the only way I have ever been of genuine help... When the person in front of me stumbles, these hands reach out to steady him all by themselves.... It's hard to explain.

So once again this is not to detract in any way, and I apologize if this is out of step with other treeleafers, Gassho.
    大山

Hi Kojip,

In this initiative we will help with no thought of helping or not helping, and dropping all thought of our personal merit and "how wonderful we are-ness" in helping. We also may not succeed in helping always despite good intents, for sometimes plans will go astray.

Nonetheless ... we will try to help those in need, feeding the hungry, talking to the lonely, rolling bandages, helping those who have fallen to stand back up by offering a hand.

This is our Practice, which is far wider than staring into our own navels and worrying about our own small peace of mind. Mahayana Buddhism, and the Bodhisattva Vows, have always been "other" directed, not simply about "me" ... although ultimately realizing that there is no "me" and "other".

I think you can find "helping action, with no notion of helping" even in this initiative.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

#SAT TODAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi Kojip,

In this initiative we will help with no thought of helping or not helping, and dropping all thought of our personal merit and "how wonderful we are-ness" in helping. We also may not succeed in helping always despite good intents, for sometimes plans will go astray.

Nonetheless ... we will try to help those in need, feeding the hungry, talking to the lonely, rolling bandages, helping those who have fallen to stand back up by offering a hand.

This is our Practice, which is far wider than staring into our own navels and worrying about our own small peace of mind. Mahayana Buddhism, and the Bodhisattva Vows, have always been "other" directed, not simply about "me" ... although ultimately realizing that there is no "me" and "other".

I think you can find "helping action, with no notion of helping" even in this initiative.

Gassho, J
    Thank you for your response Jundo. I am (incidentally) signing up for training at a suicide prevention centre, and understand the need to reach out. I am also caring for far more than my own ass (or navel) on a daily basis..... The post was an expression of personal experience around helping... and when I felt I really made a difference, not a criticism of this initiative. I am sorry for being on a different track or giving offence to anyone here at Treeleaf.
    Gassho, kojip.
    Last edited by Daizan; 07-14-2012 at 08:03 PM.
    大山

Thanks Yugen - I think it will be really good to have a focus for this kind of initiative.

Kojip - I understand where you're coming from - but I think it's a case of getting past the
    worry of the reaching out perhaps feeling a little 'artificial' to begin with.

I feel we all get a bit more creative with gentle pressure - right now I'm thinking 'what can I do 'cos I'm sick'
    - but then another bit of me thinks 'well I'll do something - perhaps I can knit booties for premature babies or
    something!'

Without a bit of pressure my thought wouldn't get that far - so I think members will come up with lots of ideas.
    If anyone can think of something I could do other than knitting that would be good !! - I need some

Gassho

Willow

Willow,

Being that this is a sangha for those who are isolated, have home bound illnesses, are just incredibly shy, or have no one to babysit...I believe we have discussed finding suitable activities for such individuals to contribute. I think we should all stretch ourselves a little if possible, but I also don't want this to scare off all the introverts who are not at ease in social situations. A middle way will be found for all.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Ordained Priest -In-Training & Shuso (Head Seat) for November - Ango 2014
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please take what I say with a grain of salt, especially in matters of the Dharma!

Quote Originally Posted by willow View Post
    Thanks Yugen - I think it will be really good to have a focus for this kind of initiative.

Kojip - I understand where you're coming from - but I think it's a case of getting past the
    worry of the reaching out perhaps feeling a little 'artificial' to begin with.

I feel we all get a bit more creative with gentle pressure - right now I'm thinking 'what can I do 'cos I'm sick'
    - but then another bit of me thinks 'well I'll do something - perhaps I can knit booties for premature babies or
    something!'

Without a bit of pressure my thought wouldn't get that far - so I think members will come up with lots of ideas.
    If anyone can think of something I could do other than knitting that would be good !! - I need some

Gassho

Willow
    Thank you Willow. I'd like to believe I understand where you are coming from and love the resolve you have in finding a way to 'act.'

Personally, I think the booties are a great idea. Perhaps also for those whom are infirm.

Deep-gassho.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Kojip View Post
    I am (incidentally) signing up for training at a suicide prevention centre, and understand the need to reach out..
    By the way, just to be clear, "hands on" volunteer and community activities that people are already otherwise undertaking can be included as the Day of Service. All the better if the "day of service" is something folks are already undertaking regularly, not just on one day!

And, yes, our suggested activities will include many options for even the homebound, shy or bedbound who cannot get outside

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-15-2012 at 02:24 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

#SAT TODAY!

Blog Entries
    Maybe if we have a sticky that people can submit to and then the moderator update the initial post with the additions?

Great idea Dokan - we will set up a "sticky" here shortly where we can post service project ideas, for those who'd like to start something new. I'm sure any of the Engaged and Charitable Projects Committee Members would be glad to pitch in their ideas and help out brainstorming - feel free to communicate with any of us on the forum or in private messages. Similarly, Jundo, Taigu, and any of the Unsui are very thoughtful and helpful resources.

The Committee Members for this project have been/are:

Dokan
    Dosho
    Shinkai
    Nate
    Kelly/Jinmei
    Willow
    Kyonin
    Chris(thatischris)
    Yugen
    Myozan Kodo
    Taigu (ex officio)
    Jundo (ex officio)

You should also be able to see the committee's deliberations openly on a separate subforum under Engaged and Charitable Projects here (Steering Committee Boardroom). We feel it is in the best interests of transparency to post our deliberations once we have reached critical milestones - such as our rollout announcement. I hope this will serve to establish a future precedent for committee work on various projects. Folks have devoted a lot of time, energy, and thought to the ideas we put out there, and they should be recognized.

Gassho
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 07-15-2012 at 03:52 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Please take all my comments with a grain of salt - I am a novice priest and anything I say is to be taken with a good dose of skepticism - Shodo Yugen

Sounds great! I'll be eagerly staying tuned for future threads revolving around this

Also, a big thank you to all the members who are serving on the committee for this project. Your hard work is appreciated!!

Gassho,
    Hoyu
    Ho (Dharma)
    Yu (Hot Water)