Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July 7th, 2012- OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

July 7th, 2012- OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

Dear All,

PLEASE EXCUSE A LITTLE FEVERISH JUNDO AND A LITTLE UNRULY CAMERA DURING PARTS OF TODAY'S SITTING.

OUR TALK SUBJECT THIS WEEK WILL BE THE "WILD FOX KOAN" OF THE BOOK OF SERENITY.

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning))

... to be visible at the following link during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS WILL BE POSTED FOR FUTURE WEEKS. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows;

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-07-2012 at 04:17 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi all,
    I would encourage people who cannot sit life, and will sit later and want to do that with others to post suggestions for some time here (if thats ok with Jundo), maybe Saturday GMT (London) from 8 AM on or from 13 AM on? These are two start times that might work for me. Anyone in for a "European time" resit?
    Gassho
    Myoku

Quote Originally Posted by Myoku View Post
    Hi all,
    I would encourage people who cannot sit life, and will sit later and want to do that with others to post suggestions for some time here (if thats ok with Jundo), maybe Saturday GMT (London) from 8 AM on or from 13 AM on? These are two start times that might work for me. Anyone in for a "European time" resit?
    Gassho
    Myoku
    Hi Myoku,

Yes, very good. I actually thought folks were already sitting so.

Gassho, J

I'll be sitting live!
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Will be there/here...

Gassho/ Kojip....

and there is that pluggin to stop the hangout from timing-out after 90 minutes...

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/131680

Hello!
    I'm in the UK, but the only time I'll have to fit this in is 0530 Sunday. Anyone wishing to join me in trying to stay awake is more than welcome!

_/\_

Ade

I will be sitting the recorded one this week.

Gassho,

Dokan
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    ~Anaïs Nin

Yugen
    I will be sitting the recorded version this week as well.

Gassho
    Yugen

Will sit some live, some recorded. Have upgraded internet.
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Mp
    Thank you all ... but I will have to sit the recorded on this week as well.

Gassho,
    Michael

I'll try joining tomorrow morning at around 7:AM EDT. If I can square away that time I'll shoot out an invite on google+ and we can sit together.

I'll be sitting the recorded version.

Gassho,

Risho

Will be there live

Gassho all
    Thank you for your practice

I sent out the invite, I'll be sitting along tomorrow morning at 7:15. Not sure how we "sit together" on G+ with the recorded version. But we'll wing it.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck13 View Post
    I sent out the invite, I'll be sitting along tomorrow morning at 7:15. Not sure how we "sit together" on G+ with the recorded version. But we'll wing it.
    Thank you for inviting, Chuck. I can stream the video into the hangout. I would start exactly at the given time (but'll be online a few minutes before), as I have to leave exactly in time due to another appointment I have in the evening.
    Gassho
    Myoku

Quote Originally Posted by Myoku View Post
    Thank you for inviting, Chuck. I can stream the video into the hangout. I would start exactly at the given time (but'll be online a few minutes before), as I have to leave exactly in time due to another appointment I have in the evening.
    Gassho
    Myoku
    Hi Guys,

Can you fellows take a video of your doing and this and send it when it is over, maybe let us post it here. I would like to see how this is organized, and what it means to stream into the hangout.

Lovely!

Gassho, J

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Can you fellows take a video of your doing and this and send it when it is over, maybe let us post it here. I would like to see how this is organized, and what it means to stream into the hangout.
    Here is the very start of our resit; this is a video of my computer screen. You see the hangout on the right and a video player with the zazenkai recording loaded on the left. When we came together I used "screenshare" to send the videoplayer into the g+ hangout (instead of my cam, which meant the others wont see me but the video instead).
    I guess its also possible with "youtube" video sharing, but I couldnt get this to work for me actually. But now the short video, mainly starring Chuck ;-)

While the first video was my view, below is an example how the hangout looked for the other guys:

Thank you for everyone hanging out and please let share your suggestions for improvement. Maybe we can this make a regular event at about this time ?
    _()_
    Myoku

This sounds like it will work great. I hope, lol. See you in a few minutes?

Yep, just a few minutes, and if everything goes well, we have a video steam of the last hangout and also do a hangout on air, which means we record it as we sitt. Pretty experimental, but we'll see.
    _()_
    Myoku

Wonderful... Thank you so much everyone. I hope you feel better soon, Jundo.

Gassho, kojip

Thank you, Jundo. Beautiful teaching today.

Hope you get back to full health pretty soon.

Thanks all who sat / will sit.

Have a great weekend!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you and have a great sitting when you watch this one "live" again

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

This is the morning after the 4 hour Zazenkai and I am happy to report the YouTube recording worked like a charm. No cuts, no hiccups. The four hours are there!

Is it me or Hangouts are our new official virtual temple?
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thanks Jundo your humour and perserverance is inspirational!
    The G+ hangout live resit worked really well...thanks Peter.
    I tried a hangout to resit this morning but it timed out sometime before Jundo's teisho so I had a break. It was therefore good to join Myoku's hangout in the recorded sit to complete the zazenkai. Gassho to all.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Seemed to work pretty well. A few odd moments, but otherwise very well indeed.

Just got back from being on the road with the family...will sit soon when time allows!

Gassho,
    Dosho

I made my own long ago, so I not need one but nevertheless Great Job, kind offer.
    _()_
    Myoku

With a combo of google + and youtube I've made it through the intro and one zazen session. Later tonight I hope to finish up. The google + worked well. I didn't turn on my camera or sound though, because by the time I logged on the little guy was running around screaming about making doo doo.

Mp
    Thank you Jundo and everyone you sat. I sat with the recording today and it was wonderful.

Hope you are feeling Jundo.

Gassho,
    Michael

Thank you so much to everyone who sat! Have just finished my first 4 hour Zazenkai & it truly does feel like visiting a real Zendo!

Thanks for the wonderful teaching Jundo & hope you're feeling better.

_/\_

Ade

Quote Originally Posted by adrianbkelly View Post
    it truly does feel like visiting a real Zendo!
    That's because it is a real Zendo!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
    That's because it is a real Zendo!

Gassho,
    Dosho
    I've only visited a physical zendo a few times, but the only thing "missing" so far was having some tea and chatting about life with everyone once we are finished with the formal stuff. Of course that may not be a tradition at every zendo...

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    I've only visited a physical zendo a few times, but the only thing "missing" so far was having some tea and chatting about life with everyone once we are finished with the formal stuff. Of course that may not be a tradition at every zendo...
    Ah, you obviously have not stopped by one of our weekly tea parties! Write Fugen or Dosho if interested.

Please Join Our Weekly Treeleaf "Tea Parties"
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...af-Tea-Parties

Gassho, J

Ah, you obviously have not stopped by one of our weekly tea parties! Write Fugen or Dosho if interested.

Please Join Our Weekly Treeleaf "Tea Parties"
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...af-Tea-Parties

Gassho, J
    I look forward to it!

Gee, we could have resits within resits within resits, ad infinitum!

You see, Zen Teachers develop the power to be any place at once!

Gassho, J

But you get smaller with each repetition
    _()_
    Myoku

Mp
    Love it! Also, thanks everyone for testing this function within G+ ... looks like it works well.

Gassho,
    Michael

Very true Dosho!

_/\_

Ade

Got 'er done over the weekend. Started getting the hang of Google + again (it's changed quite a bit since I used it last) and even sat with a few Treeleafers!

Gassho

Jen

thanks Jundo and everyone. completed the zazenkai and enjoyed the talk. good karma.
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Just finished a few moments ago. My thanks to Jundo and all who sat...deep bows.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thank you Jundo for your talk and teaching. After, computer problems and virus attacks, I think we are finally back to normal; wharever that may be
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Lightbulb

Hiya folks
    I would like to let it be known that, if some one is so interested,
    I will print and send a bound/finished copy of the booklet, linked in the zazenkai main posting each week. The booklet can be either a large, 8.5"x11" finished booklet or mini version - 5 1/8 x 7" version (see pictures below).

Cost is Zip, Zero, 0, nil, nada, Mu.**

If you are so inclined send me a pm with your full mailing address.

Here is what they look like:

larger one

Smaller one (about half the size)

both have coated cardstock covers, either gloss or a linen body.

Gassho
    Shohei

**Now there is one bit of a white lie, it costs, but I manage a commercial/University print shop and the costs are minimal (like 75 cents a book, or 3/4 of a loonie :P) so if you would please consider donating a few bucks to your favorite charity, that would be a lovely payment (on your honor and at no need to say you did)

Quote Originally Posted by Shohei View Post
    Hiya folks
    I will print and send a bound/finished copy of the booklet, linked in the zazenkai main posting each week. The booklet can be either a large, 8.5"x11" finished booklet or mini version - 5 1/8 x 7" version (see pictures below).
    Shohei,

The booklet is AWESOME! It looks pretty neat and it's super handy. I will print my own, but thank you very much for offering it to the community.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Shohei View Post
    Hiya folks

Cost is Zip, Zero, 0, nil, nada, Mu.**

Gassho
    Shohei
    Deep Gassho Shohei ... this is very kind of you!

Michael

Hi Shohei,

I wasn't going to bother having you send me one because I could print it out with standard paper, but having card stock would be nice and I would definitely make a charitable contribution if you did send me one. What would be the total cost to you?

Gassho,
    Dosho

not a cost, it would be a tiny bit of giving back to the sangha, bit of Dana. (but if one were to come here and buy it 1.00, or so, .75 for myself at cost- less than a cup of Joe.)

Gassho
    Shohei

What about shipping cost?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast