Tugas Gunadarma Gunadarma Tutorial VB.NET Download OST Anime Soundtrack Anime Opening Anime Ending Anime OST Anime Japan Download Lagu Anime Jepang

Thread: Blue mountains, gniocchi amd Boss coffee

Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest Taigu's Avatar

Blue mountains, gniocchi and Boss coffee

Last edited by Taigu; 07-02-2012 at 03:09 AM.
    Taigu, teacher at Treeleaf Sangha, was born in 1964, started Zazen early and received Shukke Tokudo in 1983 at age 18 from Rev. Mokusho Zeisler of the Deshimaru Lineage. Received Dharma Transmission from Chodo Cross in 2002. Now resides in Osaka, Japan.

Taigu,

Mountains for me have always represented pain...I would stare out the window at them as I hid away in my room, scared to interact with the world. I was happy to get away from the beautiful serene view from my window that many would envy, a mountain close by, another in the distance, and a pond. But those mountains are just mountains, not what I wish them to be...wanting the pain to go away...wanting them to represent serenity.

The day after tomorrow I shall visit that childhood home again, where I felt so much pain, and look on the mountains with fresh eyes, wishing for nothing, good or bad. I will simply say hello and see what transpires.

Mountains are mountains, ponds are ponds, Dosho is Dosho...I'm very glad Taigu is Taigu.

Thank you for this teaching.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Shudo Dosho - Ordained Priest-in-Training
    With your help and guidance from Jundo & Taigu
    I am learning, but please take what I say with a
    grain of salt, especially in matters of the Dharma.

Gassho and Thank you,
    Myoku

Again Sensei you're timing is perfect, an empty coffee jar this morning and the dentist this afternoon, now as is.

Gassho
    Gary
    Last edited by Gary; 07-02-2012 at 07:20 AM.
    Drinking tea and eating rice.

Taigu,
    Thanks so much for this teaching.
    Gassho
    Myozan
    Myozan Kodo
    Ordained Soto Zen Priest in Training
    Dublin, Ireland

As a trainee priest, please take any commentary by me on matters of the Dharma with a pinch of salt.
    "Here the way unfolds."

Boss coffee surely has the best corporate logo of any coffee brand in the world

Deep bows and gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen
    Chudo Mongen, Ordained Novice Priest-in-Training

Vacillation of what things are and what I perceive them to be is dizzying. Thank you for this gentle reminder to let them be as they are.

Gassho,

Dokan

PS - Uploaded to podcast!
    Last edited by Dokan; 07-02-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Added podcast note.
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    ~Anas Nin

Gassho,

Daido
    Jiken Daido - Unsui at Treeleaf's Brother Sangha, the Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage.

Do not just accept what I say. Decide for yourself if it rings true for you

Blog Entries
    Mountains are Mountains, Gnocchi is Gnocchi, Boss is Boss, Joey is Joeyjoey.jpg

Thank you Taigu, good teaching as always
    gassho, Shokai, still learning the way and knowing nothing
    仁道 生開 - Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    Just another itinerant monk; go somewhere else to listen to someone who really knows.

_/l\_

Shugen

(Thanks Shokai)
    Last edited by rculver; 07-03-2012 at 02:43 PM.
    As a priest in training, please take everything I say with a pinch of salt

Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Gassho. Thank you for this talk and for reminding us that mistakes are only bad when we look at them that way. Let's all make a few more mistakes and just let them be, not mistakes at all.

PS I have a recipe for gnocchi made with ricotta. Another happy accident, which made the gnocchi so light, just about like little clouds.

-a

Thank you for this teaching - I need to focus just now on allowing things to be as they are.

Gassho

Willow

Thank you Taigu, just beautiful!

Gassho,
    Michael

Thank you, Taigu, for the wonderful talk! Its great that my first lesson with you resonated so well!

I returned to Pennsylvania from a very FLAT state, partially because I missed the mountains. They really are wonderful, especially up close and personal, even when gravity is trying to make communing a wee bit difficult!

As for cooking, you have my respect: I'm pleasantly surprised if I cook something edible (known to burn boiling water...)

I guess all things really are what they need to be.

Gassho,
    Dennis

Hi, Dennis!

I burned water once... try making soup; it's easy, you just throw a bunch of vegetables, lentils, rice, meat in a pot and simmer it until done. I have a lovely lentil soup recipe that I've made several times over the past few weeks. Hubby loves it, and I even have it for breakfast!

Gassho,

Lisa

Thanks taigu. Everything as is, even coffee in a can.
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

Thank you Taigu for this teaching.

Your gnocchi story reminds me of when I was 18 and I had just moved out of my parents house a month prior, trying to be independent and whatnot. I remember being so broke and so hungry, and I had scraped together maybe $5 and walked to the local grocery store so that I could just afford a can of cheap spaghetti sauce and some spaghetti noodles. I spent what seemed like an eternity making the spaghetti, adding some herbs and spices to the sauce so it wouldn't taste like awful canned sauce. Finally, I made the meal, put some parmesan on top and put it in the microwave on top of my little apartment-sized fridge to warm it up. My apartment was very small, I could almost touch both sides of the walls with my hands out and the only source of natural light was a sliding glass patio door at the end of the unit, which faced out to the building's parking lot. When the microwave beeped, I pulled out my piping hot spaghetti, mouth watering in anticipation, when I suddenly held the plate at an odd angle and all the food slopped right off the plate and onto the floor. I was so devastated, I remember bursting into tears with my sliding glass doors open, people staring in at me as they walked by to and from their cars. And then, I suddenly just started laughing hysterically. The situation was so ridiculous and absurd and I just had to laugh because I couldn't bare to cry any more. I went to bed starving that night but the next day someone had brought some food into work and I was able to eat and life went on as it always does.

It was a good lesson for me: not only was it good to feel truly hungry and remember that plenty of people feel that way day in and day out, but that it was also a choice for me to be upset and cry or laugh and shrug it off. Every time since then, I've remembered (sometimes not as soon as I wish to) that being upset about something is a choice. Some things are "worth" being upset about (or at least, understandable, such as the loss of my father), and other things are fairly trivial by comparison.

Gassho,
    Darrell

Thank you, Taigu!

Gassho,
    Marek

Quote Originally Posted by chatteringmonkeys View Post
    Thank you Taigu for this teaching.

Your gnocchi story reminds me of when I was 18 and I had just moved out of my parents house a month prior, trying to be independent and whatnot. I remember being so broke and so hungry, and I had scraped together maybe $5 and walked to the local grocery store so that I could just afford a can of cheap spaghetti sauce and some spaghetti noodles. I spent what seemed like an eternity making the spaghetti, adding some herbs and spices to the sauce so it wouldn't taste like awful canned sauce. Finally, I made the meal, put some parmesan on top and put it in the microwave on top of my little apartment-sized fridge to warm it up. My apartment was very small, I could almost touch both sides of the walls with my hands out and the only source of natural light was a sliding glass patio door at the end of the unit, which faced out to the building's parking lot. When the microwave beeped, I pulled out my piping hot spaghetti, mouth watering in anticipation, when I suddenly held the plate at an odd angle and all the food slopped right off the plate and onto the floor. I was so devastated, I remember bursting into tears with my sliding glass doors open, people staring in at me as they walked by to and from their cars. And then, I suddenly just started laughing hysterically. The situation was so ridiculous and absurd and I just had to laugh because I couldn't bare to cry any more. I went to bed starving that night but the next day someone had brought some food into work and I was able to eat and life went on as it always does.

It was a good lesson for me: not only was it good to feel truly hungry and remember that plenty of people feel that way day in and day out, but that it was also a choice for me to be upset and cry or laugh and shrug it off. Every time since then, I've remembered (sometimes not as soon as I wish to) that being upset about something is a choice. Some things are "worth" being upset about (or at least, understandable, such as the loss of my father), and other things are fairly trivial by comparison.

Gassho,
    Darrell

Great story. Reminds me of driving home recently with the leftover pasta in a container on the front seat. Driving around the circle it slid off and all the pasta went on the passenger side floor. Oh no!! When I got home I got a spatula put it back in the container (it passed inspection) and fed it to my dog. He was so happy. conditioning does affect our reactions and choices but being present helps a lot. Yes Virginia there is a free will. With practice you realize it.
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Great story. Reminds me of driving home recently with the leftover pasta in a container on the front seat. Driving around the circle it slid off and all the pasta went on the passenger side floor. Oh no!! When I got home I got a spatula put it back in the container (it passed inspection) and fed it to my dog. He was so happy. conditioning does affect our reactions and choices but being present helps a lot. Yes Virginia there is a free will. With practice you realize it.
    Awh, lucky dog :-) Yes, good point re: conditioning and getting past it. I think shikantaza/just sitting helps give us perspective sometimes and the ability to see things for what they truly are, and not over-react to things.

Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest Taigu's Avatar
    Thanks Darrell, things are perfect asvthey are even if they do hurt sometimes. I also kind of felt hungry as a University student, your story brings up good-bad memories.

Gassho

Taigu
    Taigu, teacher at Treeleaf Sangha, was born in 1964, started Zazen early and received Shukke Tokudo in 1983 at age 18 from Rev. Mokusho Zeisler of the Deshimaru Lineage. Received Dharma Transmission from Chodo Cross in 2002. Now resides in Osaka, Japan.

Taigu is Taigu. And I am thankful for that.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Please remember I am only a priest in training. I could be wrong in everything I say. Slap me if needed.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one. Mr. Spock

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    Taigu is Taigu. And I am thankful for that.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Very well put.

Gassho,
    Michael
    倫道 真現

As a trainee priest, please take any commentary by me on matters of the Dharma with a pinch of salt.

thX taigu
    no rocks in denmark but blue mountain coffee with a cloud of milk in my kitchen

gassho
    gilles

Very lovely teaching. Thanks so much.

Gassho,
    Ekai

Thank you _/\_
    Gassho,
    Kaishin

Thank you Taigu
    Gassho
    Heisoku
    平 息

Thanks you very much taigu. Perfect teaching.

Sorry to hear that you had to go in for an opp recently.

In relation to letting things be as they are, i find this my biggest challenge at the moment and therefore this is my practice!

Gassho

That is a cool logo! Now I'm hungry. lol

Gassho,

Risho