Thread: A deep lesson learned...

A deep lesson learned...

Hello all,

I thought I would share something I experienced a couple of weeks ago. After reading the thread about violence and self defense, I thought that those that do practice those arts, whatever they may be, should be looking deeper and deeper into what they do. I recently trained with a very senior teacher in one of the arts I practice who is sadly very,very ill. I'm unclear as to what the outcome will be, but even though this teacher new his prognosis, was on medications with horrible side effects he still showed up to teach and teach well without missing a beat. However, the deep lesson was not in classical martial arts, it was in duty, courage and being here now, at this moment, without words. When is talked is was much about manners, presenting yourself and having the right attitude. He talked about life and relationships and that our practice is nothing without all these attributes. These were the ultimate goals. In the face of life and death I learned and witnessed the profoundness of being here, present, in the moment. There was hardly any talk of his problem, what he is up against. Just letting life be as it is in each breath. This I think has changed my outlook on everything. It was a truly special meeting. I thought I would share.
    Gassho,
    Onken

Thank you for this.

_/\_

Jen

Thank you Onken. Yes, I agree that martial arts is much deeper than learning self-defense or kicking high to the head. It's learning to treat others with respect and kindness while working towards creating a better place for others in the world. Being a martial artist is living with positive attitude, deep integrity, humility, self-control and strong perseverance. The training strengthens our character and improves our ability to achieve our goals while being true to who we are. We work towards becoming better and good-hearted people while at the same time accepting ourselves in this moment. Martial artists awaken their spiritual, mental and physical potential for a strong mind and body and for an open, compassionate heart that benefits society as a whole.

Gassho,
    Ekai

Onken thank you,

Gassho
    Gary
    Drinking tea and eating rice.

Mp
    Onken,

Wonderful share, thank you. My late Aikikai Shihan passed away before he was going to host the 30th Anniversary Seminar in 2010. The amazing thing about it was they continued the seminar in memorial to his teachings and beautiful approach to life. The essence of the seminar was no longer about the technics, but rather the foundation of respect and trust all Aikidoka have for one another and others.

Thank you Onken for sharing, and treeleafers, for contributing with your own experiences... I have never practiced any martial art, but always felt some kind of magic in them, because of courage, discipline, but, for above all, the respect and caring you have to get from the training, over yourself and over the rest of the people

Excuse my poor wording :P

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Thank you for sharing, Onken.

Gassho,

Lisa

dojeh Onken _/\_
    --Washu
    和 Harmony
    秀 Excellence

"Trying to be happy by accumulating possessions is like trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches all over your body" George Carlin Roshi

My wife, Mina, had the opportunity to practice Aikido with Sugano Shihan several times, and often spoke of this and of his practice with one leg after amputation. He is seen here a few years after the surgery ...

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thanks Onken. When I do train with our organisation's sensei he doesn't talk between practices about aikido at all. It's usually about life, universality, the fact that he has been a teacher for 30 years and never used any of his skills and the fact that his art of aikido will not fight cancer or stop the car from knocking you down BUT will give you the ability to face each moment and each challenge with equipoise and calmness... to enable you to harmonise with life. Sounds like familiar territory here!.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    My wife, Mina, had the opportunity to practice Aikido with Sugano Shihan several times, and often spoke of this and of his practice with one leg after amputation. He is seen here a few years after the surgery ...

Wow! You can't even notice in the video he had a leg amputation. Very inspiring.

Gassho,
    Ekai

Mp
    Thank you Jundo ... there are some amazing stories. Here is one that I had found about a fellow who is blind and practices Aikido.

Gassho,
    Michael

Thank you Onken. It is a good teaching you brought to us.

Gassho.

Charlie